Microsoft steps up its quantum computing ambitions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/23/5836208/microsoft-steps-up-its-quantum-computing-ambitions

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

Instead of having 2 values for a bit we would have 3 for qbits. 4 bits can contain 16 values (0 thru 15) when all bits are on. If 4 qbits are on, then in a base 3 system you would have 81 values. It grows exponentially in power for every qbit column added. I can see where that would be quite a bit (pun intended) more powerful. Imagine if they could do that with a hard drive somehow. If they get this down, it's going to make the best pc's of today look like cheap toys. Still not sure I'm wrapping my head around that super postion stuff though. What's the max number of simultaneous states? The video shows on, off or both. Can there be more that that. Like 5 states at once?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

so does that mean cloud powah is done?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

On to the next hidden powar...lmao!!

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@softwaregeek: The max number of states is 2 for 1 qbit, 4 for 2, 8 for 3, etc.... Every time you add a qbit the number of simultaneous states doubles. Like the guy in the reality check video say iirc though, they are really good at specific things so we'll likely have a mix of quantum chips and regular chips.

Loading Video...

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SoftwareGeek

@pyro1245 said:

@softwaregeek: The max number of states is 2 for 1 qbit, 4 for 2, 8 for 3, etc.... Every time you add a qbit the number of simultaneous states doubles. Like the guy in the reality check video say iirc though, they are really good at specific things so we'll likely have a mix of quantum chips and regular chips.

I understood it as the max number of states for a bit is off or on (0 or 1) which is what we have now. For a qbit, the max number of states is at least 3. Off (0), On (1), or both (which would be off and on at the same time) (*). Having two states at the same time would be a 3rd value. Anyway, good post. Thanks for sharing.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auha-gXTiqU

I like this take on QC the best, mostly because the individual in it is extremely passionate, but quite obviously is going out of his way not to over-promise or sell people on possibilities that might never come about.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@kittennose said:

I like this take on QC the best, mostly because the individual in it is extremely passionate, but quite obviously is going out of his way not to over-promise or sell people on possibilities that might never come about.

I thought it was hillarious when he dressed up in his big red ball :) Thanks for that.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SoftwareGeek

The "What can Quantum Computers Do" incorrectly stated that 8 bits could hold a value 0 thru 256. It's actually 0 thru 255 for a total of 256 numbers. just as 0 thru 10 is 11 numbers. Just an observation.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SoftwareGeek

@MlauTheDaft said:

@kittennose said:

I thought it was hillarious when he dressed up in his big red ball :) Thanks for that.

that sort of cleared up a few things for me.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nyzma23
@softwaregeek said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@Heil68 said:

When I see posts like this, I think to myself "mental midgets".

they don't know when this quantum computing success we will have ibm supercomputer class in a size of phone or even watch

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@softwaregeek said:

@jsmoke03 said:

@Heil68 said:

When I see posts like this, I think to myself "mental midgets".

Yeah. But don't judge them. Some people have different priorities. Some peopel are stupid, but physically strong. Some people are physically weak, but intelligent. It doesn't really make anyone more valid.

OT: **** yeah this is very interesting. Seems like it will take a very long time to get there though (as he said; 20 or 30 years).

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SoftwareGeek

@parkurtommo said:

Yeah. But don't judge them. Some people have different priorities. Some peopel are stupid, but physically strong. Some people are physically weak, but intelligent. It doesn't really make anyone more valid.

OT: **** yeah this is very interesting. Seems like it will take a very long time to get there though (as he said; 20 or 30 years).

you just had to suck the joy out my trolling post...lol

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Xbox Two. Greatness is coming.....

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@blackace said:

@Heil68 said:

Xbox Two. Greatness is coming.....

hahahahahaha

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

@softwaregeek said:

@pyro1245 said:

I understood it as the max number of states for a bit is off or on (0 or 1) which is what we have now. For a qbit, the max number of states is at least 3. Off (0), On (1), or both (which would be off and on at the same time) (*). Having two states at the same time would be a 3rd value. Anyway, good post. Thanks for sharing.

After looking over the first few chapters of this: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/0809/QuantComp/notes.pdf

It seems like a qubit is made up of a superposition of two states. It is really one state, but a 2-dimensional one described as a vector. The number of super-imposed calculations (which I was talking about by mistake in my original post) that can be carried out is equal to 2^n, where n is the number of qubits you can have.

Weird stuff. Anyone know any good books for getting into quantum computing more? Now i need to get back to work, this stuff is distracting..... heh

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Quantum computing is useless for most things computing related, and what does this have to do with system wars?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Quantum computing is the future of everything. Traditional transistor processors are going to reach a plateau of power at some point in the next 5-10 years, and won't be capable of improving further... so the only way to improve power is to make the jump to quantum. I don't particularly understand the process itself, but the gains are astronomical even for the most basic type.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

Hopefully not breaking some rule, but if you like the style check him out. He guy is pretty neat. People ragged hard on him because of his giddiness to teach early on, but these days he is just a goof ball that wants you to know everything he thinks is neat.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

So this is an advert for the Xbox 1080? (probably releasing in 6 years-ish)

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@kittennose said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Hopefully not breaking some rule, but if you like the style check him out. He guy is pretty neat. People ragged hard on him because of his giddiness to teach early on, but these days he is just a goof ball that wants you to know everything he thinks is neat.

Already subbed, so I can check him out later. Being goofy takes courage too and he seems very informative.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

honestly next 10 years in computing is going to change beyond belief, possible neurosynpatic chips in heavy use and quantum computing is starting to hit the ground, i believe we will be making multi layer computers in the future ala a computer having both a neurosynaptic processor on board and a vonn neumann CPU onboard tagged with a a super power GPU and vice versa

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Sound like what Sony is working on, what with the cell and what not.

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nyzma23

@alcapello said:

Sound like what Sony is working on, what with the cell and what not.

heh ?