Microsoft Patents Drop-In Co-Op In Shooters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fourseamer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fourseamer4
Member since 2009 • 467 Posts

Last week, the United States Patent and Trademark Office assigned the maker of the Xbox 360 and publisher of Gears of War the feature to offer seamless switching from solo to co-op gaming in squad-based shooters.

The patent, #7,559,834 was invented by James York of Austin, Texas and filed back in the original Xbox era on December 2, 2002.

Seven years later, this is what the government assigns Microsoft a patent to:

A squad-based shooter video game allows players to dynamically join and leave the game, while that game is in progress, without the players having to save and restart the game. When a new player joins an in-progress game, a new squad member is allocated to the new player and the screen is split to present a viewing panel for the new player that depicts scenes from the perspective of the new squad member. When an existing player leaves the game, the screen is unsplit to remove the viewing panel for the exiting player and that player's squad member becomes part of the squad being controlled by the remaining player(s).

The patent specifically refers to squad-based shooter games, reducing the likelihood that it would apply to, say, re-making Halo matchmaking so that online battles were persistent with players smoothly dropping in and out. Instead, it reads like a brief on the co-op in Gears of War 2.

The patent is full of sketches (including the one in this post) that depict a shooter game being played on the original Xbox.

Microsoft did not return Kotaku's request by press time to elaborate on why the company patented this concept.

UPDATE: Several readers have noted the sketches included in the patent resemble screenshots from Xbox co-op shooter Brute Force, which was developed by the now-shuttered Digital Anvil. The company, like the inventor noted here, were based in Austin, Texas.

I don't think I really like the idea of patenting abstract concepts, you?

Linky.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

i will be patenting the ability to record data in 1's and 0's on a physical, electrical and magnetic based media.
i would also like to patent free thought. so that every person on the planet owes me a dollar everytime they think

seriously though, that is a bit ridiculous. i don't know if you can patent an idea for gaming. thats like if ubisoft had tried to patent the free running portion of assassins creed and said "this is patented, you can't put free running in a game until the patent is over"

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

You'd be surprised what people can patent. Medical researchers patent discoveries so that anytime a new test is run that takes advantage of new knowledge royalties have to be paid.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
No, I don't like the idea of patenting concepts. I think copyrights should be presented for methods, not concepts. But oh well, not the world we live in.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17457 Posts
Calm down people!! MS cant patent ALL coop, they simply patented the METHOD in which they did coop. Maybe the WAY they did it was easier on the system, and therefore, a breakthrough in console development that they wanted to protect their investment. Other games will still have coop, just implemented in a different (and probably more difficult) way. Coop/split screen is taxing on the system, so maybe MS's way is alot less stressful, and easier to implement, so they patented it.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12355 Posts
This is what the patent really means - The patent is directed to a method of detecting a [second] controller being plugged into a system while a game is in progress and, in response, automatically splitting the screen for drop-in co-op play.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Drop in co-op huh? So basically MS patented pressing start in a single player game? :lol:

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
Thats a fairly large patent. That means PS3 owners will have to play their campaigns strictly solo or strictly co-op. I cant remember the last time I played through an entire game co-op. Cow Ownage?
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Im confused....doesn't games like L4D and other arcade shooters already do this?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 navyguy21
[QUOTE="shadow8585"]Thats a fairly large patent. That means PS3 owners will have to play their campaigns strictly solo or strictly co-op. I cant remember the last time I played through an entire game co-op. Cow Ownage?

MS cant patent ALL coop, just the METHOD in which they get there. PS3 games will still have online and offline coop, just implemented in different ways. MS's way is probably easier, and less taxing on the GPU, thats probably why they patented it.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10311 Posts

Since there have been precedents of "living organisms" being patented, I'm not surprised by this.

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Let the lawsuits begin. Now MS can start suing people instead of being the ones getting sued. I bet the first is Sony. :twisted:

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts

Why do they waste their time with patents on crap like this? Same thing with custom soundtracks...how about you let your users play their online games for free instead of this stupid ****.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

[QUOTE="shadow8585"]Thats a fairly large patent. That means PS3 owners will have to play their campaigns strictly solo or strictly co-op. I cant remember the last time I played through an entire game co-op. Cow Ownage?navyguy21
MS cant patent ALL coop, just the METHOD in which they get there. PS3 games will still have online and offline coop, just implemented in different ways. MS's way is probably easier, and less taxing on the GPU, thats probably why they patented it.

ideally, sony could rewrite the code and use something similar. all they have to do is have a variation on the original for it to be considered a new property.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="shadow8585"]Thats a fairly large patent. That means PS3 owners will have to play their campaigns strictly solo or strictly co-op. I cant remember the last time I played through an entire game co-op. Cow Ownage?z4twenny

ideally, sony could rewrite the code and use something similar. all they have to do is have a variation on the original for it to be considered a new property.

Exactly, why people are calling foul, and getting all up in arms is beyond me. There will still be coop on all platforms (except maybe wii :lol: ) MS is just protecting their investment like any good company would.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Nice try Microsoft, but I've already patented people playing games in groups of 2 or more.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Drop in, perspectives of other users? Sounds like ODST to me, though I'm sure it won't be. Still, meh if true.
franky_babylon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 franky_babylon
Member since 2008 • 1117 Posts

Nothing I wouldnt expect, they found a simpler way of doing it so they protect it. They did the same thing with in game music, thats why its up to the devs to do it on PS3, because MS has a patient on it.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
l4d already does this so what are they getting? ms trying to stop valve using it in other games without paying ms, that will quickly make ms lose valves support if valve has to pay them to keep doing what they have in l4d.
devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts

that sad. but it seems like this wont affect pc games at all ... :P

ManicAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 ManicAce
Member since 2009 • 3267 Posts
I think it's only for splitscreen coop, not online, so wouldn't affect PC, or most shooters much. But I still don't like patenting this kinda stuff, a piece of code maybe, but not whole concepts. If someone wants to put a drop-in coop in their game they should be allowed to imo. Imagine how much games would suck these days if all the stuff we now take for granted had been patented and never been widely adopted by others.
DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

>

^ Imagine if id would have patented the first person shooter genre.