DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

So apparently, Phil's trip to japan still hasn't significantly changed support for Xbox from Japanese developers

However, according to publisher NIS America, Microsoft needs to do much more than simply getting the right type of games onto the Xbox One isn't going to be enough to turn it around for Microsoft.

"Honestly speaking, Microsoft's approach to Japanese games hasn't been very supportive," NIS America president and CEO Takuro Yamashita told MCV. "Microsoft, you know, for Japanese games, there's still a very niche element to them, no matter what it might be.

"Microsoft also has a minimum order quantity for their games, and their whole structure isn't really geared toward niche games or smaller games like Japanese titles, so they're not really supportive of Japanese games or developers."

Of course there's still the ongoing problem of a small audience for Xbox games in Japan

Nihon Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo agrees, telling MCV he "isn't diametrically opposed to working on Xbox," but that the small audience for the console in Japan means it's unlikely to ever become a viable platform for the RPG studio.

"Falcom is obviously a Japan-focused developer and looking at the situation in Japan, the Xbox has had a difficult time," Kondo said. "Because the market isn't there, we have to take a 'if things improve' attitude and just pay close attention to what's happening. However, I want to point that out we're always paying attention to the market particularly in terms of the foreign market, so if the Xbox was to have a sudden rise in the west, we'd obviously be open to considering it in that situation. I'd really like that to be the case.

Source

Maybe if Spencer takes one more trip, I'm sure it will fix it

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

I don't think Phil was interested in their schoolgirl pantie-simulators.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

@sirdad said:

You can't fix a problem that you have no control over. The Japanese are the only developers on Earth avoiding the platform, this signifies a problem with them and not the other way around.

They don't buy the platform, they don't development for the platform, it's pretty clear to see where the issue lies.

Xbox users don't buy japanese games so why would japanese devs support a console with an audience who doesn't care about their games and a company that treats them all as niche?

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Get more anime games on the Xbox. That will somewhat catch japanese gamers attention.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I don't think Phil was interested in their schoolgirl pantie-simulators.

Boong-ga Boong-ga - I'm surprised this isn't on the PS4?

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

@pinkanimal said:
@sirdad said:

You can't fix a problem that you have no control over. The Japanese are the only developers on Earth avoiding the platform, this signifies a problem with them and not the other way around.

They don't buy the platform, they don't development for the platform, it's pretty clear to see where the issue lies.

Xbox users don't buy japanese games so why would japanese devs support a console with an audience who doesn't care about their games and a company that treats them all as niche?

Yeah PC gaming isn't popular in Japan but developers still port games over to PC because PC gamers outside Japan are buying enough copies to justify a port. It seems clear that Xbox gamers simply aren't interested enough justify porting them over. Microsoft has already tried with the original xbox and 360 to get Japanese support but it didn't work out well either.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DrLostRib

@sirdad said:

it's pretty clear to see where the issue lies.

With MS' inability to make deals?

No_bo_dy_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 No_bo_dy_83
Member since 2017 • 142 Posts

More like "Japan" is not 'very supportive’ of Xbox one console.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@sirdad:

“The Japanese are the only developers on Earth avoiding the platform”

Are they? I mean I see games all the time that are on other platforms with Xbox left out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

A lot of Japanese devs like to make games that don't necessarily appeal to a broad range of people. In other words, they take risks, or else create games that are largely niche, specifically for, if not forcibly limited to, very niche gaming fans. More and more, MS does not like to take risks, nor have they shown much of any interest in niche games; they even, moreover, seem to outright avoid these types of games, and stick with what they know will sell, which translates to somewhat, or outright common, even generic content. So, it's little surprise that they have not made themselves attractive to Japanese game developers, nor is it surprising that MS is reluctant, even unwilling to work with them. And, of course, fiascos like Scalebound don't help the situation.

No_bo_dy_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By No_bo_dy_83
Member since 2017 • 142 Posts

@lrdfancypants: of course. Every western games which isn't 1st party or that don't have a deal with one of the console, is coming to evey platform, mostly to PS4/Xbox/PC.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

It's true today, but I don't blame MS. They were pretty supportive of Japanese games on Xbox and Xbox 360, but the Japanese wouldn't buy them because they didn't say "PlayStation" on them. They came up with excuses like "the console is black so it means death" "X means death" even though PlayStation 2 was black and has an X button. The Japanese didn't support MS, so now MS doesn't support them. All hope is lost for Lost Odyssey 2 and Lost Odyssey on 360 was the only good JRPG to ever release on Xbox console.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@no_bo_dy_83:

So every Western game made goes to every platform. Interesting.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

TLHBO

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@sirdad: slow clap for you bro. They did court Japan last gen it barely moved the needle. Japanese people want Japanese companies consoles, it's not a crime. I respect the loyalty.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cainetao11

@freedomfreak: yeah somehow I doubt danganronpa or persona were high on the list for Spencer. Now a game like Nioh or other hack n slash is probably what they looked for.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60cd6c3d31f6d
Member since 2015 • 745 Posts

Someone stop the presses. But for real, japanese companies should not even bother with Microsoft because its clear that have no interest to support them.

@no_bo_dy_83 said:

More like "Japan" is not 'very supportive’ of Xbox one console.

You need to understand that having third party support is not a right and third parties have no obligation to support anyone, that goes for every plattform holder.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cainetao11

@reduc_ab_: right because an RTS built for consoles is a mainstream market homerun. That's why they waited 8 years to make a sequel. And Sea of Thieves screams next COD! Crimson Dragon was such safe game to fund as was a game with a live action tv show element to it. And have you seen the sales numbers of Crackdown 2? No wonder they are making a third. It's a safe move with no risk. Lol

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

@drlostrib: I don't blame them, MS literally licked Japanese devs' asses and what did they get? F*cking betrayal over betrayal.

Bandai Namco being the worst one.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cainetao11

@davillain-: t's true today, but I don't blame MS. They were pretty supportive of Japanese games on Xbox and Xbox 360, but the Japanese wouldn't buy them because they didn't say "PlayStation" on them. They came up with excuses like "the console is black so it means death" "X means death" even though PlayStation 2 was black and has an X button. The Japanese didn't support MS, so now MS doesn't support them. All hope is lost for Lost Odyssey 2 and Lost Odyssey on 360 was the only good JRPG to ever release on Xbox console."

Quoted because not many will acknowledge. It's another instance of "it's all MS' fault". The usual suspects will blame it all on MS when like most things in life blame is shared.

Dr_Vancouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dr_Vancouver
Member since 2017 • 1046 Posts

Can't really blame the Japanese, even though M$ consoles don't sell very well over there Japanese games seem to sell much better outside of Japan on other consoles. It seems that the target audience of M$ consoles don't seem to want their games, as evidenced by sales. M$ has tried, I don't blame them, their supporters vote with their dollars- and they vote "no" .

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

So much salt in nya's posts that my blood pressure goes up from reading them...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Did consoles make a comeback in Japan or is mobile gaming still king?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

It's unfortunate that some high-profile Japanese games like NioH and Nier haven't made it to XOne, but there are alternatives such as Dark Souls 2/3. While the support on XOne is limited, it is not completely non-existent and I've enjoyed Japanese games on the console such as Raiden V, but the gap is filled nicely with the Xbox 360 BC, I have games like Lost Odyssey and Catherine that I've yet to finish so whenever I feel the need for that kind of experience it is still there on XOne.

I have nothing against those types of games, and used to be a big Anime fan actually in my younger years and if there is a Japanese game that comes out on PS4, Switch or even PC and that I feel I must absolutely play, then I'll buy that system and game, not really a big deal for me. I just prefer other types of games now that's all.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DrLostRib

@davillain- said:

It's true today, but I don't blame MS. They were pretty supportive of Japanese games on Xbox and Xbox 360, but the Japanese wouldn't buy them because they didn't say "PlayStation" on them. They came up with excuses like "the console is black so it means death" "X means death" even though PlayStation 2 was black and has an X button. The Japanese didn't support MS, so now MS doesn't support them. All hope is lost for Lost Odyssey 2 and Lost Odyssey on 360 was the only good JRPG to ever release on Xbox console.

apparently eurogamer did a write up of what went wrong with Xbox in japan

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Well they really tried with the x360, didnt really get them shit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@cainetao11 said:

@reduc_ab_: right because an RTS built for consoles is a mainstream market homerun. That's why they waited 8 years to make a sequel. And Sea of Thieves screams next COD! Crimson Dragon was such safe game to fund as was a game with a live action tv show element to it. And have you seen the sales numbers of Crackdown 2? No wonder they are making a third. It's a safe move with no risk. Lol

My, my. Somebody's triggered.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cainetao11

@reduc_ab_: Hey, if you say so darling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

@cainetao11 said:

@reduc_ab_: Hey, if you say so darling.

;)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

The lack of Japanese games on Xbox isn't entirely MS's fault.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

Well, the mention of a limited quantity of prints to release a game on a system I can see being a significant barrier. Maybe that is something Microsoft needs to consider working with them on.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

I remember the beginning of Gen 7, Microsoft went all out to gain Japanese developer support for the Xbox 360. We were getting timed exclusives as well as big exclusive game deals such as Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. Then news broke out that Final Fantasy 13 would be multiplat over being Sony exclusive.

Something happened during the transition period when Jay Allard stepped down and Don Mattrick took over. As MS build a bigger base with the 360 in Japan. Sure it didn't sell well as the PS3, but they managed to get more 360 sales. Today, MS is now clueless on what sells in Japan and it's not good.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Seems like a chicken and egg issue. I'm not sure it's right to try to assign blame singly on either MS, the devs, or the Japanese consumers

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cainetao11

@lamprey263: Agreed. Gotta be willing to change your shit in order to change.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

What if it's the other way around, and that is Japanese devs aren't very supportive of the Xbox brand? Xbox sells like shit in Japan, anyways.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Japanese devs don't support MS. Weird huh? Western devs don't support them either. Weird huh?

Do you think maybe it's because their priorities are all wrong and their consoles are shit could be part of the problem?

Lems: no.

Everyone else in the whole world: yup.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Who cares...besides the lonely guys that are interested in panty sniffing simulators of course.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

The 360 sure sold better than the Bone has and there were waaaaay more Japanese games on it. People act like Japan has conspired against XBox but the first dev tells the true story. MS is more interested in generic games with big sales as opposed to having a diverse catalog. It doesn't get more clear cut than that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58297 Posts

Don't the Japanese need to make games for a console, and not the other way around?

I'm a little confused by the issue to be honest; I've a few friends that do business with the Japanese and they are known to be stubborn and inflexible in dealings, but this just seems kind of ignorant of them. Hardware is a static thing: these are the specs, these are our standards, if you want to release a game please meet X, Y, and Z and give us a 5% per sale royalty fee.

And with "all" (not literally, but practically) Japanese developers pretty much going to mobile, their voice is quite tiny.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cainetao11

@Shewgenja: Lol yep ignore some of the facts that show the Japanese never took to the brand. 360 sold better but stop acting like it was a bread winner there. From the start they haven't warmed to MS in any way. Is MS to blame? Of course partly but don't pretend the they aren't either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I feel like it is the other way around and it is Japan that is not very supportive of Microsoft. Microsoft has already tried in the past to win over Japan, but it's obviously a lost cause no matter what Microsoft does so if I was running Microsoft, I would not waste anymore resources on Japan.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

When was the last time the Japanese (98% homogenous) were supportive of a non Japanese console?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#47 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

This image comes to mind.

Honestly, MS should just give up on Japan. It's never been or will ever be a platform for Japanese games.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@cainetao11: So, if the Japanese haven't changed, what DID change about XBox between then and now which made the faucet dry out on games like Tenchu, Eternal Sonata, Ace Combat 6, and even a Katamari Damacy?

Honestly, that is the question that hasn't been answered here. If the needle not moving in Japan remains a constant, then it's long overdue to look at what has.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cainetao11

@Shewgenja: Your responding as if I don't say both are to blame. There is a very real evidence that the consumers from that country dont want a console that isn't from a Japanese manufacturer no matter what. I know it's such a terrible thing to suggest.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Microsoft made some progress last gen , but I guess they are quitters and happy being PlayStation's beech. Oh well.