microsoft lost it's chance

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 pouriarjj
Member since 2018 • 168 Posts

i know this may sound dumb, but listen to me

back when wii u flopped, nintendo lost a lot of money, and microsoft has all the money in the world, if i were them i'd buy nintendo for whatever price they asked, and if xbox came with zelda and mario and metroid and.... then most of the people would probably buy an xbox. which would put sony in a bad position and sony wasn't doing very good at that time(i read somewhere that it had a 78% chance of going bankrupt) so it wouldn't be that hard to buy them out. and after that i'd stop making xboxes so everyone would move to pc. so instead of selling a 400-500$ console for 300$ they could sell a copy of windows (that costs nothing extra) for 100$ to every gamer and put all of their exclusives on the windows store. they could even buy valve then(probably not though).

ps. this is my first thread, don't be hard on me

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BluFalconUltra
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

They would do to Nintendo that what they did to Rare.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11002 Posts

Some nice fanfiction. MS buying Nintendo wouldn't be a guaranteed shot at success. The Nintendo fanbase would have balked at it and may not have jumped on board, especially if MS wasn't interested in making a handheld. And the core Xbox base doesn't seem interested in those games either. Plus, unlike Nintendo, MS actually drops their prices, something the Nintendo collectors market isn't too keen on.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pouriarjj

@blufalconultra said:

They would do to Nintendo that what they did to Rare.

OR they would do what they did to bungie

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pouriarjj

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Some nice fanfiction. MS buying Nintendo wouldn't be a guaranteed shot at success. The Nintendo fanbase would have balked at it and may not have jumped on board, especially if MS wasn't interested in making a handheld. And the core Xbox base doesn't seem interested in those games either. Plus, unlike Nintendo, MS actually drops their prices, something the Nintendo collectors market isn't too keen on.

good points.

except i just didn't understand the last part

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@pouriarjj said:

back when wii u flopped, nintendo lost a lot of money, and microsoft has all the money in the world, if i were them i'd buy nintendo for whatever price they asked, and if xbox came with zelda and mario and metroid and.... then most of the people would probably buy an xbox. which would put sony in a bad position and sony wasn't doing very good at that time(i read somewhere that it had a 78% chance of going bankrupt) so it wouldn't be that hard to buy them out. and after that i'd stop making xboxes so everyone would move to pc. so instead of selling a 400-500$ console for 300$ they could sell a copy of windows (that costs nothing extra) for 100$ to every gamer and put all of their exclusives on the windows store. they could even buy valve then(probably not though).

nope.

My stance is still the same which is

If I have a ton of money and buy a fleet of boats it does not mean I know how to sail.

MS should become sailers first so that they can understand what the F it is they are buying.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pouriarjj

@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:

nope.

If I have a ton of money and buy a fleet of boats it does not mean I know how to sail.

MS should become sailers first so that they can understand what the F it is they are buying.

they did buy bungie and lionhead and they turned out really good for them

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TryIt

@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:

nope.

I would disgree with that.

the reason is far to complex for this forum to be able to understand though but I can try to summarize it by saying 'it would have been considerably better and cheaper if they had taken a different route'

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Well they lost a lot of chances.. They could have get Apple before Imac and Ipod came out when no one gives a shit about Apple in the late 90s lol

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 pouriarjj

@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:

nope.

the reason is far to complex for this forum to be able to understand though but I can try to summarize it by saying 'it would have been considerably better and cheaper if they had taken a different route'

come on, that just made me more curious

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pouriarjj

@ni6htmare01 said:

Well they lost a lot of chances.. They could have get Apple before Imac and Ipod came out when no one gives a shit about Apple in the late 90s lol

it's probably because gates was in charge back then, he was too good. back when they were going bankrupt microsoft actually bought a shitload of their shares so they wouldn't go bankrupt and when they got back on their feet, they sold them back. bill and steve used to be close friends

nickw59524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 nickw59524
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts

@pouriarjj: They can't buy Nintendo, or any Japanese company.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 pouriarjj

@nickw59524 said:

why? is it a racist thing or something? :)

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TryIt

@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:

nope.

its less expensive to make something fantastic and have it sell itself then it is to spend millions of dollars creating hype of something that is actually substandard.

Did you know that Valve makes more money per employee then Microsoft. Microsoft as in the entire income, not just games.

People on the AAA loyalist side like what they are told to like and a LOT of money is spent making that work.

did you know that Ark + Rust + 7 days to die (2 of which are not finished) sold more copies then Witcher 3 did on all platforms?

those games have a FRACTION of team size, far less to make and nearly zero advertising dollars, yet they sell.. alot.

knowing how to make something and getting into that business as a competent member of it, is better than just throwing money at a random industry and pretending you know something about it just because you bought it

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Nah, even I can admit that if they pop a can full of whoop-ass exclusives, all is forgiven.

I mean. Let's be real here. The real asshole that wanted always-online and Kinect is out the door. They've freed up all the resources they can for game performance, and have a new SKU that is performance-oriented. XBox has a lot of their ducks in a row, but they have also demonstrated beyond any shadow of a doubt that they either have no will or no way to manage their internal studios or third-party relations for exclusives. That's the last domino to fall, really. I would say that if it doesn't fall at this year's E3, it's never going to happen, but I said that last year and that domino didn't even budge.

I thought for sure that with Scorpio actually being a real thing, they would have shifted focus and launched a ton of games at E3 last year, but it didn't happen. I'm wiling to give them one more shot. Just one. As for the Nintendo angle, Nintendo is definitely in no mood to sell. Their stock price is headed to the moon for the next four years, at least, and that means they are not in the position to even give a proper valuation on selling their holdings. Also, Japan's laws are very restrictive to foreign buyouts.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@pouriarjj said:
@nickw59524 said:

Because Japan don't allow that kind of things

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

I don't think it would be worth it for the price...

Gaming is probably only about 10% of MS' revenue. I always get a sense that System Wars thinks gaming is a way bigger market than it actually is.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pouriarjj

@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:

nope.

its less expensive to make something fantastic and have it sell itself then it is to spend millions of dollars creating hype of something that is actually substandard.

Did you know that Valve makes more money per employee then Microsoft. Microsoft as in the entire income, not just games.

People on the AAA loyalist side like what they are told to like and a LOT of money is spent making that work.

did you know that Ark + Rust + 7 days to die (2 of which are not finished) sold more copies then Witcher 3 did on all platforms?

those games have a FRACTION of team size, far less to make and nearly zero advertising dollars, yet they sell.. alot.

knowing how to make something and getting into that business as a competent member of it, is better than just throwing money at a random industry and pretending you know something about it just because you bought it

that is true, i did really disagree with microsoft buying mojang and nokia.

but what you're saying isn't always true, disney is making waaaaaaay more money than it used to ever since it started buying every single ip in the world

plus, making something from the ground up takes a lot of time and it's risky.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

I always get a sense that System Wars thinks gaming is a way bigger market than it actually is.

It's bigger than the movie industry and carries a lot of cultural weight.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

? So that they can do to Nintendo what they did to RARE?

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pouriarjj

@MonsieurX said:
@pouriarjj said:
@nickw59524 said:

what? how can they not allow it? nintendo doesn't belong to the government

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TryIt

@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:

but what you're saying isn't always true, disney is making waaaaaaay more money than it used to ever since it started buying every single ip in the world

but see two things.

1. as a consumer, the vendor making tons of money is NOT YOUR objective. Stop working for their finance department. Stop evaluating quality based on how much money a vendor makes. Why? because a lot of factors are involved in making money and actual quality is NOT on the top of that list..MARKETING is.

2. You have to understand the missed opportunity here. Rimworld is a very successful indie game made by ONE PERSON. ONE...UNO...ONE! if you can repllicate what is working by the microteams and scale it up to a large company it would make the sales figures of disney look like a joke.

I said this would be more complex then this forum could handle.

nickw59524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nickw59524
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts

@pouriarjj:

@pouriarjj said:
@MonsieurX said:
@pouriarjj said:
@nickw59524 said:

because its one the countries laws.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pouriarjj

@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:

but see two things.

1. as a consumer, the vendor making tons of money is NOT YOUR objective. Stop working for their finance department. Stop evaluating quality based on how much money a vendor makes. Why? because a lot of factors are involved in making money and actual quality is NOT on the top of that list..MARKETING is.

2. You have to understand the missed opportunity here. Rimworld is a very successful indie game made by ONE PERSON. ONE...UNO...ONE! if you can repllicate what is working by the microteams and scale it up to a large company it would make the sales figures of disney look like a joke.

if by this forum you mean me(which i think you do), i do understand what you're saying i'm just saying it's not that easy to track down and hire every talented developer before they become famous. just look at how many bad indie games there are for every good one

for example gabe newell worked for microsoft before half life. not even as a game developer. how could have they known that he would be worth 5 billion one day?

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 pouriarjj

@nickw59524 said:

@pouriarjj:

@pouriarjj said:
@MonsieurX said:
@pouriarjj said:
@nickw59524 said:

what? that's idiotic

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TryIt

@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:
@pouriarjj said:
@tryit said:

but see two things.

if by this forum you mean me(which i think you do), i do understand what you're saying i'm just saying it's not that easy to track down and hire every talented developer before they become famous. just look at how many bad indie games there are for every good one

for example gabe newell worked for microsoft before half life. not even as a game developer. how could have they known that he would be worth 5 billion one day?

When I say 'people in this fourm' I dont mean you I mean exactly that 'people in this forum' as a group, on average...

you keep thinking in terms of 'acquiring something from the outside'

think of it like this, MS should not look to aquire a great game developer, they should BE the great game developer.

see? I mean in my mind its painfully obvious that dosent need explaining the difference between being good as sailing a boat and that of buying one.

if you ARE a great game developer then you also have better skills in seeing future trends and future good developers rather than (like Minecraft) buying into it AFTER it already peaked.

the very fact that I need more than one sentence to explain this just confirms its not something this forum can digest easily.

and yes in the past I have tried the 'MS need to become game developers, not buy game developers' and sure as shit people didn't understand what that means.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BenjaminBanklin

@pyro1245 said:

Gaming is probably only about 10% of MS' revenue. I always get a sense that System Wars thinks gaming is a way bigger market than it actually is.

Educate yourself, please

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5234 Posts

@pouriarjj said:
@nickw59524 said:

@pouriarjj:

@pouriarjj said:
@MonsieurX said:
@pouriarjj said:

what? that's idiotic

Are you surprised? The Chinese do this as well, so as to prevent foreign companies from having control of Chinese companies.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pouriarjj

@onesiphorus said:
@pouriarjj said:
@nickw59524 said:

@pouriarjj:

@pouriarjj said:
@MonsieurX said:

what? that's idiotic

Are you surprised? The Chinese do this as well, so as to prevent foreign companies from having control of Chinese companies.

so do the americans it seems

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/12/17111766/broadcom-qualcomm-acquisition-blocked-trump-national-security

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I think they just need to throw their money around better. Think of the $500 million they wasted in that stupid NFL fantasy football app and how many indie and AAA exclusives they could have used to jump start the generation right. Even the $2+ billion Minecraft deal, good for other reasons outside th e Xbox but if they did something like that for exclusives, they could produce a solid line-up for sure.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

"i'd stop making xboxes so everyone would move to pc. so instead of selling a 400-500$ console for 300$ they could sell a copy of windows (that costs nothing extra) for 100$ to every gamer and put all of their exclusives on the windows store."

I can see this part of your thread happening... The rest I don't see happening at all.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@pyro1245 said:

Educate yourself, please

Makes me wonder how much money MS would lose if Windows wasn't more or less required for PC gaming....

SeaofSalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeaofSalt
Member since 2018 • 111 Posts

@pouriarjj said:

i know this may sound dumb,but listen to me

yep

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

It's not that easy. I'm not as brushed up on the securities laws for Japan/Nikkei so I can't speak to whether it would be feasible (I'm sure they have protections against foreign equity from buying up Japanese corporations), but for MS to succeed in a bid, they would have had to make an insane offer to get enough shareholders to bite. Even then, MS would have had to overcome Nintendo re-purchasing its own shares from existing shareholders, which they certainly have the warchest to achieve.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin

@seaofsalt said:
@pouriarjj said:

i know this may sound dumb,but listen to me

yep

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

MS should sell off the Xbox Division. Maybe Nintendo can buy them and finally have a good Online network.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

what a stupid first thread. ban

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1821 Posts

This is the dumbest idea and it's an annoying one. Nintendo should not have to get out of the console race in order to lift Microsoft out of mediocrity. Like, what the ****?! Here's a better suggestion:Microsoft leaves the console race and makes room for someone more competent!

THIS is the true double standard. Nintendo is judged more harshly than others and they aren't forgiven as much, nor do others make excuses for them. I mean come on, when Nintendo did bad with the Wii U, NO ONE suggested that Nintendo buy the Microsoft gaming division in order to compete with Sony. NO ONE suggested that Nintendo buy the PlayStation division to be able to stay in gaming. It was, "get your shit together or go third party." Though some people SWEAR Nintendo gets away with murder.

Avatar image for swaggedoutsquirtle
SwaggedOutSquirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SwaggedOutSquirtle
Member since 2018 • 42 Posts

Ya this is really an idiotic thread lmao what were you thinking when you made this man ?

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pouriarjj

@Flubbbs: @quadknight: @swaggedoutsquirtle:

Go fu@k yourselves no one made you answer

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

Even with Nintendo home consoles selling badly, they've always been propped up by their decent handheld sales. So They were never in that bad a position that MS could have bought them.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't think Nintendo was losing money during the Wii U era?

Huh...

Nintendo wasn't for sale though. I know they say in movies that everyone is for sale, and even though a publicly traded company can be forced to be sold, you cannot actually buy the people themselves. I don't think it would have worked.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

ive always loved the idea of nin and ms working together or ms buying Nin, even nin buying Xbox of ms, but this isn't going to happen, they both dont need to, the wii did really well it sold nearly the same amount as xbox 1 and ps4 combined.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#45 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69087 Posts

It's always cute when gamers discuss and assume they understand the inner workings of the industry.

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pouriarjj

@Pedro: i know, i'm really cute ???

pouriarjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points