Microsoft is still doing very well.

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for SecretPolice
#1 Posted by SecretPolice (35358 posts) -

Good to hear. Can't imagine how well they'll do next gen when they come out of the gate sprinting rather than like this gen where they stumbled outta the gate. :P

C'mon E3! :D

We'll see.

Thoughts?

--------

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-hardware-sales-slipping-as-software-subscript/1100-6466504/

Microsoft has released its Q3 earnings, and it suggests the current console generation is slowing down and ready for another refresh. Xbox console sales fell by 33% year-over-year, which the company attributes to a simple decrease in sales volume. In other words, people are simply buying fewer Xbox consoles.

However, the news wasn't too grim for Microsoft. Overall game revenue actually increased by 5% year-over-year, thanks to strong third-party software sales and subscriptions. Xbox Live's monthly active users hit 63 million, up 7% from last year. Altogether the games division raised $2.36 billion in revenue for the quarter, an YOY increase of $112 million.

The Xbox One is more than six years old now, so the decrease in console sales suggests Microsoft is hitting a saturation point. That's when console manufacturers tend to eye a new generation, and Microsoft may start to explain its vision for the next Xbox at E3. In the meantime, it introduced the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, a new SKU of the console that lacks any disc drive and only plays downloaded games.

Meanwhile, Microsoft's competition has gotten first to the gate in starting to explain its plans for the coming generation. PS4 architect Mark Cerny began to outline some details on the next generation of PlayStation, including backwards compatibility, a solid-state drive, and other tech specs. It won't be disc-less, which may set it apart from the next Xbox, but that remains to be seen. Microsoft is planning a streaming service that likely will integrate with its future console plans.

Avatar image for Pedro
#2 Posted by Pedro (35419 posts) -

MS is clearing inventory with its All Digital Edition. Sucks to be the person buying a One S this late in the game especially with games running like tripe.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#3 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

Let's not exaggerate.

MS is doing great.

Xbox is doing.. okay.

Avatar image for pdogg93
#5 Posted by pdogg93 (1656 posts) -

Another Lem insecurity thread.

XBOX LOST AGAIN. Deal with it.

Avatar image for subspecies
#6 Posted by Subspecies (665 posts) -

Oooh that 96.8 Sony figure stings bad, I see. ;)

Avatar image for Ant_17
#7 Posted by Ant_17 (12716 posts) -

Wow, the remaining lems buy 3rd party games. Shocking.

Avatar image for Alucard_Prime
#8 Posted by Alucard_Prime (10107 posts) -

Good to know, important thing for me is they keep supporting the console business, I'm quite busy and satisfied with the X and honestly am not in a rush whatsoever for "next Gen", but I do intend on buying the Anaconda.

I will, however, not support their Xcloud services or whatever its called....I have no interest in game streaming. I hope they dont focus too much on that during E3

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#9 Posted by robert_sparkes (3228 posts) -

THey know gamepass has been the saviour this generation. I'm sure they know it won't be enough next gen.

Avatar image for whatafailure
#10 Posted by WhatAFailure (408 posts) -
@sancho_panzer said:

Let's not exaggerate.

MS is doing great.

Xbox is doing.. okay.

The Xbox Live revenue isn't too bad.

But at the end of the day, MS and game developers want to see a huge amount of consoles sold to stimulate the Xbox One ecosystem and encourage them to make more high-selling AAA games, which sells even more consoles, which increases goodwill and good feelings. MS doesn't have that right now.

PS4 about to pass up Wii. Switch came out in 2017 and is close to passing up Xbox One. No wonder why MS too ashamed to release their numbers. Xbox SAD!

Avatar image for tormentos
#11 Edited by tormentos (29232 posts) -

Microsoft has released its Q3 earnings, and it suggests the current console generation is slowing down and ready for another refresh. Xbox console sales fell by 33% year-over-year, which the company attributes to a simple decrease in sales volume. In other words, people are simply buying fewer Xbox consoles.

A 33% drop in sales.

5 Years and 4 months into the generation.

MMMM.... Let me turn on Tormy's time machine.

Microsoft: Xbox 360 sales 'accelerating'

Microsoft says it has sold 55 million Xbox 360 consoles around the world, and in the first four months of the year sales were up 29 percent year over year.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-xbox-360-sales-accelerating/

29% up

5 years and 4 month into the generation of the xbox 360.

What is the difference between this 2 machines.

For those who wonder if there are any, the xbox one sold faster on its first 2 years than the xbox 360 and in the launch period until december 31 2013 the xbox one sold more units than MS sold in its first 4 or 5 months for the 360.

Yet one flue considerably higher hardware wise and spiked in sales in its 6 year,while the other tumbled down and sales fell down.

I wonder WHY.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#12 Edited by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

@tormentos said:

Microsoft has released its Q3 earnings, and it suggests the current console generation is slowing down and ready for another refresh. Xbox console sales fell by 33% year-over-year, which the company attributes to a simple decrease in sales volume. In other words, people are simply buying fewer Xbox consoles.

A 33% drop in sales.

5 Years and 4 months into the generation.

MMMM.... Let me turn on Tormy's time machine.

Microsoft: Xbox 360 sales 'accelerating'

Microsoft says it has sold 55 million Xbox 360 consoles around the world, and in the first four months of the year sales were up 29 percent year over year.

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-xbox-360-sales-accelerating/

29% up

5 years and 4 month into the generation of the xbox 360.

What is the difference between this 2 machines.

For those who wonder if there are any, the xbox one sold faster on its first 2 years than the xbox 360 and in the launch period until december 31 2013 the xbox one sold more units than MS sold in its first 4 or 5 months for the 360.

Yet one flue considerably higher hardware wise and spiked in sales in its 6 year,while the other tumbled down and sales fell down.

I wonder WHY.

Are PS4 sales up or down this year? I wonder why.

No, genuinely, I wonder why.

What you've proved is that 360 had an exceptionally good 6th year, I think.

Avatar image for nirgal
#13 Edited by Nirgal (29 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime: @Alucard_Prime: I'm glad some people are independent thinkers. I'm not a big fan of xbox. But I can see why it may appeal to some people. What I don't understand is how many people suddenly became massive fans of "games as a service" the minute that microsoft decided to go for that business model. Lets face it, "game as a service" was not introduced to create a better experience for the consumer, there is no game designer thinking that will make his/her games more fun or compelling, its simply a monetization system made to take every penny possible from an addicted player and I don't see why any gamer would support it.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#14 Edited by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

@nirgal said:

@Alucard_Prime: @Alucard_Prime: I'm glad some people are independent thinkers. I'm not a big fan of xbox. But I can see why it may appeal to some people. What I don't understand is how many people suddenly became massive fans of "games as a service" the minute that microsoft decided to go for that business model. Lets face it, "game as a service" was not introduced to create a better experience for the consumer, there is no game designer thinking that will make his/her games more fun or compelling, its simply a monetization system made to take every penny possible from an addicted player and I don't see why any gamer would support it.

That's not exactly how I recall it. What I remember is that people became massive opponents of GAAS as soon as MS announced their own streaming and subscription models. Sony's are apparently not a problem. Funny, don't you think?

Avatar image for nirgal
#15 Posted by Nirgal (29 posts) -

@sancho_panzer: no. Think about what people were complaining before people even started speaking about GAAS: micro transactions and always online. Now those are exactly the main characteristics of GAAS.

And in regards to SONY, they are not saints. But they make way more single player games, so they get less hate.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#16 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

@nirgal said:

@sancho_panzer: no. Think about what people were complaining before people even started speaking about GAAS: micro transactions and always online. Now those are exactly the main characteristics of GAAS.

And in regards to SONY, they are not saints. But they make way more single player games, so they get less hate.

It's a legitmate worry, sure, but over a year since its official release, Sea of Thieves, a game ripe for MT and lootbox plundering... still has no microtransactions. Are there more microtransaction games in Xbox's services than in SONY's? I honestly don't know, but I do think there's been a degree of scaremongering against MS's services in particular. God knows where that's come from.

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#17 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

LMAO, lem support thread. MS as a company is doing well. Xbox however is a complete flop and MS are getting their asses handed to them this gen. Maybe next gen will be better for them but they need to start getting their shit together in the games department and also with their messaging.

Avatar image for watercrack445
#18 Edited by watercrack445 (1719 posts) -

Lemmings are desperate. We all know Xbox is a flop and lemmings just have to accept it in order to move foward.

Avatar image for ni6htmare01
#19 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3789 posts) -

MS of cause is doing great, but not so sure about their Xbox.. lol Xbone SAD.. who comes up with freaking names like this from nice name like Xbox 360.

Avatar image for migina
#20 Posted by Migina (56 posts) -

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#21 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

@ni6htmare01 said:

MS of cause is doing great, but not so sure about their Xbox.. lol Xbone SAD.. who comes up with freaking names like this from nice name like Xbox 360.

Lol, yeah they really need to work on some of their naming conventions. My favourite in the field was always AMD's "Threadripper", which always made me think of a painfully hot, dry fart.

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#22 Posted by MonsieurX (39180 posts) -

@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

I remember when Sony had to sell their buildings, good times.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#23 Posted by mandzilla (4152 posts) -

@sancho_panzer: That's brilliant haha.

Avatar image for migina
#24 Edited by Migina (56 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:
@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

I remember when Sony had to sell their buildings, good times.

How low have lemmings gone that they have to reference what happened a decade ago, instead of focusing how they are shattering revenue sales this generation.

Avatar image for MonsieurX
#25 Posted by MonsieurX (39180 posts) -

@migina said:
@MonsieurX said:
@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

I remember when Sony had to sell their buildings, good times.

How low have lemmings gone that they have to reference what happened a decade ago, instead of focusing how they are shattering revenue sales this generation.

TIL I'm a lemming

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#26 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (10060 posts) -

Yes, they're doing well in terms of revenue and profit.

Fwiw, they hit their hardware saturation point a long time ago. Most of their money will continue to come from services like XBL, GamePass, and XCloud.

Avatar image for sleepnsurf
#27 Posted by sleepnsurf (3209 posts) -
@migina said:
@MonsieurX said:
@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

I remember when Sony had to sell their buildings, good times.

How low have lemmings gone that they have to reference what happened a decade ago, instead of focusing how they are shattering revenue sales this generation.

Yeah, the lemmings did it. You cows act as if you sold all those units and made all that money. So strange.

Avatar image for vaidream45
#28 Posted by Vaidream45 (2005 posts) -

They own Windows. They are very much so doing well. Always have been. It’s the Xbox that hasn’t been very profitable for them. They have endless money and resources as long as they have Windows so they can play around with Xbox as long as they like. Hoping the next console is cool. Xbone was meh and the Xbone SAD was just terrible. I know they can do better than this.

Avatar image for jcrame10
#29 Edited by jcrame10 (5141 posts) -

@SecretPolice: it will be curious to see what they pump out next gen with all of their new studio acquisitions. I expect better quality than they’ve ever done before because of this. With the 5 major studios they had plus the 6 they just bought they should be pumping out a couple games every year

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#30 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

They own Windows. They are very much so doing well. Always have been. It’s the Xbox that hasn’t been very profitable for them. They have endless money and resources as long as they have Windows so they can play around with Xbox as long as they like. Hoping the next console is cool. Xbone was meh and the Xbone SAD was just terrible. I know they can do better than this.

Oi, give them a chance, it hasn't even released yet... although it is much too expensive if $250 is the real price we see in stores.

Avatar image for migina
#31 Posted by Migina (56 posts) -

@sleepnsurf said:
@migina said:
@MonsieurX said:
@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

I remember when Sony had to sell their buildings, good times.

How low have lemmings gone that they have to reference what happened a decade ago, instead of focusing how they are shattering revenue sales this generation.

Yeah, the lemmings did it. You cows act as if you sold all those units and made all that money. So strange.

Lol, wtf, so now we can't celebrate Sony's amazing victory because we didn't make the PS4? LOOOOOOL, lemmings are going crazy!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for Pedro
#32 Posted by Pedro (35419 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:
@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

I remember when Sony had to sell their buildings, good times.

Avatar image for migina
#33 Posted by Migina (56 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

@SecretPolice: it will be curious to see what they pump out next gen with all of their new studio acquisitions. I expect better quality than they’ve ever done before because of this. With the 5 major studios they had plus the 6 they just bought they should be pumping out a couple games every year

You act as if they acquired 6 studios that have made GOTY's before. It's C to D grade studios. None of them have ever made a game close to what most Sony studios have. Microsoft is a generation late. Maybe for the PS6 they can catch up.

Avatar image for Pedro
#34 Posted by Pedro (35419 posts) -

@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone that they have to reference what happened a decade ago, instead of focusing how they are shattering revenue sales this generation.

Guess you missed this.

Avatar image for sealionact
#35 Posted by sealionact (4072 posts) -

@pdogg93: This coming from the herd that is calling free spyglasses for SOT "desperate"?

Oh the irony.

Avatar image for pdogg93
#36 Posted by pdogg93 (1656 posts) -

@sealionact: oh yes so ironic... cows poking fun at ms trying drum up interest in their dead game using their soon to be nixed app

Vs.

Reminding lems that their favourite console lost this gen. Badly.

Avatar image for sealionact
#37 Posted by sealionact (4072 posts) -

@pdogg93: No, no, no....you're getting confused. Cows are now obsessed with last gens numbers, even though full final figures were never released....that's the sad state of Cow trolling on these boards recently.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#38 Posted by Archangel3371 (28372 posts) -

Good to hear because I like many of the things that they have going on in the console space. As long as they continue to provide a product and games that I enjoy then I will continue to support them.

Avatar image for fedor
#39 Posted by Fedor (5268 posts) -

MS is doing great in last place. Nowhere to go but up, baybee.

Avatar image for pdogg93
#40 Posted by pdogg93 (1656 posts) -

@sealionact: lol keep making up those excuses in your head my child. Xbox lost last gen and this one. Deal with it

Avatar image for tormentos
#41 Posted by tormentos (29232 posts) -

@sancho_panzer said:

Are PS4 sales up or down this year? I wonder why.

No, genuinely, I wonder why.

What you've proved is that 360 had an exceptionally good 6th year, I think.

Really so it proves nothing more right..Hahahahaha

The denial is strong in some lemmings.

@MonsieurX said:
@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone, when they must make a thread about Microsoft doing well, instead of great. Meanwhile Sony is shattering revenue records and Nintendo outselling the Xbone on every single market.

I remember when Sony had to sell their buildings, good times.

Yeah when lemming were chanting about how the xbox 720 would destroy the PS4,how sony was doom to bankruptcy and could not do a more powerful console than MS.

Those sure were the days look at sony now,it make in 1 year what the PS3 loss all gen,meanwhile the xbox one can't even beat its predecessor let alone be close to the competition.

@Pedro said:
@migina said:

How low have lemmings gone that they have to reference what happened a decade ago, instead of focusing how they are shattering revenue sales this generation.

Guess you missed this.

Yes and 10 years latter lemmings still on denial about it.lol

Avatar image for Pedro
#42 Posted by Pedro (35419 posts) -

@tormentos: 10 years later Sony fannies are still bitter about the 360 dominating the PS3.

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#43 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@sancho_panzer said:

Are PS4 sales up or down this year? I wonder why.

No, genuinely, I wonder why.

What you've proved is that 360 had an exceptionally good 6th year, I think.

Really so it proves nothing more right..Hahahahaha

The denial is strong in some lemmings.

Well, yes... that's right. All sales prove is sales. Data can lend credence to arguments, but since you haven't bothered outlining yours, I'm just going to guess it was another leaning tower of assumptions.

Thanks for the Lemming badge, I've always wanted one of these. Do I qualify for my manticore certificate now, or do I need someone to claim I'm a sheep and cow first, too?

Avatar image for watercrack445
#44 Edited by watercrack445 (1719 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@tormentos: 10 years later Sony fannies are still bitter about the 360 dominating the PS3.

10 years from now you will still blame Sony for everything, Pablo. You have an obsession with Sony. I recommend you going to therapy to fix your hatred towards inanimate objects.

Avatar image for Pedro
#45 Posted by Pedro (35419 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

10 years from now you will still blame Sony for everything, Pablo.

Really. Explain.

Avatar image for watercrack445
#46 Edited by watercrack445 (1719 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@watercrack445 said:

10 years from now you will still blame Sony for everything, Pablo.

Really. Explain.

:/.....your posts...

Avatar image for Pedro
#47 Posted by Pedro (35419 posts) -

@watercrack445: So, nothing. Gotcha.

Avatar image for tormentos
#48 Posted by tormentos (29232 posts) -

@sancho_panzer said:

Well, yes... that's right. All sales prove is sales. Data can lend credence to arguments, but since you haven't bothered outlining yours, I'm just going to guess it was another leaning tower of assumptions.

Thanks for the Lemming badge, I've always wanted one of these. Do I qualify for my manticore certificate now, or do I need someone to claim I'm a sheep and cow first, too?

Oh so i am assuming that the xbox 360 had a 54% or more fail rate that sparked millions of re buy units, so i invented that that MS had a console so bad that had to set aside 1.15 billion,that only had 3 years of warranty and that some of the problems of the machine were not even cover for until the 4th year.

So tell me if you had a 360 that failed twice already and the warranty was over what would you do.

A)Pay to fix it and see it fail latter on again.

B)Sell all your library of 360 games cheap cancel xbox live and buy a PS3.

C) Buy an Arcade 360 $279 or $199 depending on the time and slap your old HDD continue as if nothing happen get 3 more years of warranty.

Now if your system suffer E74 which was fairly common and wasn't cover until freaking 2009 what were you suppose to do as a gamer.

A)Pay to fix your machine and see it fail again.

B)Who cares about Halo 3,Gears,Bioshock,Forza and all that crap i sell it all and move to PS3.

C)Buy a damn arcade xbox 360 which was $199 when RROD was at its worse slap your old HDD and continue to play as if nothing happen.

Now you can cry all you want,this were the scenarios period sure tons of people serviced their machine under warranty and no one is claiming other wise,but by the time MS put in place the 3 year warranty already almost 2 years had pass which mean many were close to losing the warranty anyway.

What you call assumption was a damn fact suffer by millions of people.

Hahaha why is it that all damn lemming always try to pass them self as manticore...Hahahhaahhaha

Avatar image for sancho_panzer
#49 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (826 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@sancho_panzer said:

Well, yes... that's right. All sales prove is sales. Data can lend credence to arguments, but since you haven't bothered outlining yours, I'm just going to guess it was another leaning tower of assumptions.

Thanks for the Lemming badge, I've always wanted one of these. Do I qualify for my manticore certificate now, or do I need someone to claim I'm a sheep and cow first, too?

Oh so i am assuming that the xbox 360 had a 54% or more fail rate that sparked millions of re buy units, so i invented that that MS had a console so bad that had to set aside 1.15 billion,that only had 3 years of warranty and that some of the problems of the machine were not even cover for until the 4th year.

So tell me if you had a 360 that failed twice already and the warranty was over what would you do.

A)Pay to fix it and see it fail latter on again.

B)Sell all your library of 360 games cheap cancel xbox live and buy a PS3.

C) Buy an Arcade 360 $279 or $199 depending on the time and slap your old HDD continue as if nothing happen get 3 more years of warranty.

Now if your system suffer E74 which was fairly common and wasn't cover until freaking 2009 what were you suppose to do as a gamer.

A)Pay to fix your machine and see it fail again.

B)Who cares about Halo 3,Gears,Bioshock,Forza and all that crap i sell it all and move to PS3.

C)Buy a damn arcade xbox 360 which was $199 when RROD was at its worse slap your old HDD and continue to play as if nothing happen.

Now you can cry all you want,this were the scenarios period sure tons of people serviced their machine under warranty and no one is claiming other wise,but by the time MS put in place the 3 year warranty already almost 2 years had pass which mean many were close to losing the warranty anyway.

What you call assumption was a damn fact suffer by millions of people.

Hahaha why is it that all damn lemming always try to pass them self as manticore...Hahahhaahhaha

^Is exactly the kind of stuff I'm talking about, yes. Why are you talking about RROD? What does any of this have to do with the OP?

Avatar image for Pedro
#50 Edited by Pedro (35419 posts) -

@sancho_panzer: I heard last gen was rough on PS3 owners thus the regular PTSD moments.