microsoft is f!cked 1st game publisher considering going to linux

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#101 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

This probably has something to do with the Steambox being built around Linux. Maybe its the start of greater things to come, who knows.

MBirdy88

Yea, an operating system only a handful of people use... Why anyone think entertainment software that requires millions of users to profit will work on linux... linux is still not easy or consumor friendly, a bunch of geeks worshipping this idea is obsurd.

Until the Steambox comes along...

I expect Valve will have a custom version of Linux designed especially for their Steambox.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Good news! The faster we get rid of m$ the best for mankind and gaming
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="pelvist"]

This probably has something to do with the Steambox being built around Linux. Maybe its the start of greater things to come, who knows.

pelvist

Yea, an operating system only a handful of people use... Why anyone think entertainment software that requires millions of users to profit will work on linux... linux is still not easy or consumor friendly, a bunch of geeks worshipping this idea is obsurd.

I expect Valve will have a custom version of Linux designed especially for their Steambox.

no they won't, I highly doubt their big enough to support a new distribution of linux, especially with the rest of the industry honing in and focusing on Ubuntu....
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="spiderluck"][QUOTE="Jebus213"] Joke right? At least enthusiasts will happily use Linux without any problems.

Enthusiasts...lol...oh no MS am fvcked

Great response! Very mature! So well thought out! I wasn't saying that MS was fvcked. MS makes barely any money off of PC gaming anyway. Now go flap your cvnt lips somewhere else.

yes ...as opposed to your incredibly mature response...back to your basement nerd
spiderluck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 spiderluck
Member since 2012 • 2405 Posts
Good news! The faster we get rid of m$ the best for mankind and gaming kuraimen
Well start twiddling your thumbs...it's going to be a while
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

You speak as if lems needed anything else besides Halo.

GreenGoblin2099
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#107 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Yea, an operating system only a handful of people use... Why anyone think entertainment software that requires millions of users to profit will work on linux... linux is still not easy or consumor friendly, a bunch of geeks worshipping this idea is obsurd.savagetwinkie

no they won't, I highly doubt their big enough to support a new distribution of linux, especially with the rest of the industry honing in and focusing on Ubuntu....

Is this a joke statement? There's a distribution out there supported by one man. Yes one and its also one of the best. A distro is not hard to make its a collection of software along with a kernel, each bit of software is supported independantly and the kernel is one of the most supported bits of software ever. Hardly a billion dollar venture to make a distribution.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Can Windows 8 be used like a normal desktop or do you have to use their fancy new UI?

RyanShazam

Windows 8 be used like a normal desktop and treat the new Metro UI as a large start button. You can get the old start button for Windows 8 with StarDock's Start8 tool.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="pelvist"]

JohnF111

Is this a joke statement? There's a distribution out there supported by one man. Yes one and its also one of the best. A distro is not hard to make its a collection of software along with a kernel, each bit of software is supported independantly and the kernel is one of the most supported bits of software ever. Hardly a billion dollar venture to make a distribution.

Would that include near one-stop end user support?

If Valve sells a Linux PC to the end user, they must provide support for it. There's a thing in the sales contract that establishes a legal relationship between seller and buyer. There's no legal relationship between the buyer and "each bit of software" provider.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Yea, an operating system only a handful of people use... Why anyone think entertainment software that requires millions of users to profit will work on linux... linux is still not easy or consumor friendly, a bunch of geeks worshipping this idea is obsurd.savagetwinkie

How big is Ubuntu vs Redhat or Suse?

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

if this continues i wouldnt be suprised if windows one day found itself out of a job.

ionusX

Yeah, not in our lifetime. Windows is entrenched throughout the world. It would take some earth shattering events to bring Windows down. Even if for some crazy reason windows ceases to be the main os for games, it still wouldn't put a dent in the bigger picture.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Why go Windows 8 or make the transition to Linux when you can just stay on Windows 7.

Gxgear

Well, the upgrade pace for Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7.

Windows 8 uptake: More like Vista than Windows 7

The usage data also bolsters analysis of Microsoft's assertion that it sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses -- a number the company said is "in line" with Windows 7's first month. Experts did not dispute the 40 million, but noted that many of those licenses were tied to PCs that had not yet been sold to customers, and so Microsoft's number did not represent Windows 8's real-world use.

Experts disputed with Microsoft's "in line" with Windows 7's first month" pattern. These experts has claimed Microsoft has changed the measurement standard between Windows 7's 1st month sales and WIndows 8's 1st month sales.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/378391/microsoft-windows-8-outselling-windows-7

Microsoft says it has sold 40 million Windows 8 licences in the month since the launch, claiming it was setting a faster pace than Windows 7 three years ago.

The announcement contradicts earlier reports of slow sales for the latest Microsoft OS

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.clyde46
The only thing holding PC gamers back is the lack of game support. If all devs started making their game for linux, us PC gamers would have no problem jumping ship.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Well, the upgrade pace for Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7.ronvalencia

The usage data also bolsters analysis of Microsoft's assertion that it sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses -- a number the company said is "in line" with Windows 7's first month. Experts did not dispute the 40 million, but noted that many of those licenses were tied to PCs that had not yet been sold to customers, and so Microsoft's number did not represent Windows 8's real-world use.

Experts disputed with Microsoft's "in line" with Windows 7's first month" pattern. These experts has claimed Microsoft has changed the measurement standard between Windows 7's 1st month sales and WIndows 8's 1st month sales.

Microsoft says it has sold 40 million Windows 8 licences in the month since the launch, claiming it was setting a faster pace than Windows 7 three years ago.

The announcement contradicts earlier reports of slow sales for the latest Microsoft OS

Should have bolded the second part of that sentence, since that's where the significant point was made. It's only natural for Microsoft the reported the most favourable number to represent their product better.

I should have probably asked this before going off-topic about the adopt rate: what does the statistic have to do with gaming?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 ronvalencia

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

Should have bolded the second part of that sentence, since that's where the significant point was made. It's only natural for Microsoft the reported the most favourable number to represent their product better.

I should have probably asked this before going off-topic about the adopt rate: what does the statistic have to do with gaming?

For your "Windows 8 Store is a total disaster and completely unnecessary on legacy desktop" statement.

Statement "many of those licenses were tied to PCs that had not yet been sold to customers, and so Microsoft's number did not represent Windows 8's real-world use" claims there was a difference with MS's measurement standard between Windows 7's 1st month sales and Windows 8's 1st month sales.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

You know...just as I read the word mankind...I heard mankind on a podcast. This must be a sign.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Linux has essentially no OS, correct? This is good for wiiu or will miiverse drop below 720p(lol)?
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#119 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Nah its ok.. all lems want is halo.. an alien masked dude ftw!

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

ronvalencia

For your "Windows 8 Store is a total disaster and completely unnecessary on legacy desktop" statement.

Statement "many of those licenses were tied to PCs that had not yet been sold to customers, and so Microsoft's number did not represent Windows 8's real-world use" claims there was a difference with MS's measurement standard between Windows 7's 1st month sales and Windows 8's 1st month sales.

But I never said that? You must be mistaken.

The only thing I said so far was asking why would one consider moving to Linux or Windows 8 over staying with Windows 7.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

Nah its ok.. all lems want is halo.. an alien masked dude ftw!

finalstar2007
Who's franchise has won Shooter of the Year back-to-back on Gamespot. :roll:
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
What is so terrible about using Windows? People are such rebels these days.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#123 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
Most users can't even use linux, i cannot see the majortiy of Pc gamers switch from an easy to use operating system with Stability to running games on an OS where they have to do ton of work just to get it to Run, this will not work until Linux is stable for gaming like windows But other than that most people will choose the easiest to use OS For gaming which would be windows and it will be years before Linux is ready as a gaming OS.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 percech
You use Windows, lol.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
I never understood why people like Linux so much anyway. BSD is better in almost every way, and more true to the original variant of Unix.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#126 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

GreenGoblin2099

This has nothing to do with Lemmings. :/

Or any faction really.

Linux support is great for the people that run that OS.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Personally I need Windows for various other bits of Software so I'd rather it just stayed there. Don't want to be messing around with two different operating systems.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

GreenGoblin2099

Lems? This is a Herms thing. PC gaming problem.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

But I never said that? You must be mistaken.

The only thing I said so far was asking why would one consider moving to Linux or Windows 8 over staying with Windows 7.

I actually said that:P

And I still won't stand corrected because Windows 8 App Store just sucks.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.clyde46
Actually, a lot of PC gamers would love for more quality games to run on Linux. And they would hardly be making a switch considering you can easily dual boot Linux and Windows.
percuvius2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 percuvius2
Member since 2004 • 1982 Posts

I wouldn't switch to linux so devs would only screw themselves. Windows kicks linux's ass

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Why go Windows 8 or make the transition to Linux when you can just stay on Windows 7.

Gxgear

Well, the upgrade pace for Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7.

Windows 8 isnt going away and will improve, as more hybrid devices become available windows 7 will become alot less relevant,

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

pelvist

So? You wont be able to actually USE linux, otherwise valve are going to have the ultimate piratable-console of all time. It wont be a linux pc, it will be a console with a locked version of linux... just like the xbox is a heavily locked version of windows ect. Everyone praises VALVE, and when Gabe slams Microsoft for wanting a store (which is more than justifiable to stay relevant against apple and google) yet mr gabe wants a locked down console, denies europeans the right to trade their software and continues to go in a "consilization" focus direction. Any money/effort/resources pumped into the steam box could into the "amazing pc fanbase" that worship the ground they walk on. Its all hypocritical BS. Steambox being linux means nothing, and doesn't change the fact that for PCs nobody is going to use linux.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.AmazonTreeBoa
The only thing holding PC gamers back is the lack of game support. If all devs started making their game for linux, us PC gamers would have no problem jumping ship.

Can you stop[ talkinjg as if every pc gamer is a computer expert because they damn well arn't ... far from it. Linux is a nightmare for anyone that dones't want to give a damn about the little things, which I will easily bet is 99% of the PC Gaming community.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#135 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

[QUOTE="pelvist"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Yea, an operating system only a handful of people use... Why anyone think entertainment software that requires millions of users to profit will work on linux... linux is still not easy or consumor friendly, a bunch of geeks worshipping this idea is obsurd.MBirdy88

So? You wont be able to actually USE linux, otherwise valve are going to have the ultimate piratable-console of all time. It wont be a linux pc, it will be a console with a locked version of linux... just like the xbox is a heavily locked version of windows ect. Everyone praises VALVE, and when Gabe slams Microsoft for wanting a store (which is more than justifiable to stay relevant against apple and google) yet mr gabe wants a locked down console, denies europeans the right to trade their software and continues to go in a "consilization" focus direction. Any money/effort/resources pumped into the steam box could into the "amazing pc fanbase" that worship the ground they walk on. Its all hypocritical BS. Steambox being linux means nothing, and doesn't change the fact that for PCs nobody is going to use linux.

Look out everyone! Nerd rage!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

pelvist

Look out everyone! Nerd rage!

Look everyone, a moron with no real rebuttal .
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]Good news! The faster we get rid of m$ the best for mankind and gaming percech
You use Windows, lol.

No I don't :| I prefer good operating systems
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts
[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]

TheEroica
and you speak as if exclusives outclass multiplats... those days are over buddy.

No they are not and you know it! That's why Sony is so great.
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
nice try microsoft, this isnt going to shift pc gamers to xbox, if anything it will shift them to PS4
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Good news! The faster we get rid of m$ the best for mankind and gaming kuraimen
You use Windows, lol.

I prefer to use the best operating system, which currently is W8

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44045 Posts

I see MS shaking in their proverbial boots :o Yeah right, redonkulous me thinks. :P

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 kuraimen

[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="percech"] You use Windows, lol.AdrianWerner

Lol
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Xbox= Halo + Gears= Majority of USA buying xbox= MS making lots of money from xlive subscriptions etc.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="kuraimen"] No I don't :| I prefer good operating systemskuraimen

Lol

so much denial

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 percech
[QUOTE="percech"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]Good news! The faster we get rid of m$ the best for mankind and gaming kuraimen
You use Windows, lol.

lmao. this liar.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#146 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Won't happen. Linux is way to small to make a decent profit on to be the only platform. They would have an easier time going to Mac OS. The linux os is not widely used, it's quite niche.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
lemmings are owned
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Lol Linux. Good luck convincing PC gamers to switch.JohnF111
A lot of gamers only use Windows because of games in the first place. If I could access all my games on linux I'd ditch Windows. Plenty of people are the same.

I've tried Linux for extended periods. Other than the fact that the laptops I've purchased always included windows pre-installed, there really isn't much reason to use Windows... aside from gaming as you say but I don't really even do much gaming. Pretty much everything I can do on a Windows PC I can do with Linux. 5 years ago there was alot of stuff I couldn't do with SuSe Linux, but having just tried out the latest Ubuntu distribution it was amazing how good it was... I dare say it's BETTER than Windows. I can't wait until Steam comes to Linux, I hope it takes off because I would really like to ditch Windows completely.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Gxgear

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Well, the upgrade pace for Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7.MBirdy88

Windows 8 isnt going away and will improve, as more hybrid devices become available windows 7 will become alot less relevant,

Maybe, but for now we'll stick with the facts.

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="Gxgear"]

Gxgear

Maybe, but for now we'll stick with the facts.

Windows 8 isn't quite what W7 was on release, no, but you have to understand that at the time o Windows 7's release users were desperate for a better OS. Vista was awful and as such the majority of users were still using the 8 year old XP, which was inconceivable for the modern PC gamer. When 7 released it was like a godsend to PC users everywhere, finally a more efficient user friendly system that actually worked. Windows 8 is a fine OS, it's just not the boom that 7 was. The hate on W8 is based on assumptions and ignorance.