Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#151 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Star67 said:
@Ibacai said:

Haha, this is massive! Massive! Xbox just went for the throat! This will be a huge change to the market. Sony should be scared, TES and Fallout are two huge IP’s that are now MS exclusives.

There are two things I am curious about for this though...

1. Can MS push for a new freaking engine??? Dear lord Bethesda, your engine is old and shitty, you need a new one.

2. Are the Xbox fanboys going to as hypocritical as cows here and say this is a good thing? So many times I’ve seen Sony trashed for exclusivity and now having Bethesda go fully MS...let’s see the outcry for this.

It's a huge move for sure, but the Fallout IP is tarnished as hell right now with Fallout 76 being so bad. And the constant re-releases don't help the elder scroll's rep either

They haven't tainted Elder Scrolls, but they ruined Fallout... and that had to lower expectations for the next Elder Scrolls.

That being said, when you throw in Doom and Wolfenstein and the rest of the id Catalog those are some good IP's to own. Maybe now the technical level of these Bethesda games can be raised, sadly MS actually hasn't been great on a technical level (look at the junk MS is peddling with Halo). So even that isn't exactly a given, but there's no excuse now for them to use the same old crappy engine. MS should get all their studios on the same page using better development engines.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#152 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:
@general_solo76 said:

Anyone who thinks games like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc.. won’t stay multi platform are extremely delusional. Microsoft would never make their investment back at 7.5 billion dollars plus the hundreds of millions of dollars it costs to develop and market these games without staying multi platform. Minecraft cost them 2.5 billion, and it’s on every device known to man.

They will obviously still be on PC. But I’m not as confident as you that they will release all those franchises on Playstation. I mean, what’s the point of this acquisition if they do?

Yeah, I have no idea if they'll also release on PlayStation.

But, the future for Microsoft really is Gamepass.

$70 on PlayStation vs $10 / month on Xbox / PC / Mobile makes Gamepass more appealing than owning a PlayStation.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@regnaston: to everyone playing MS cheergirl right now, you get what you pay for. Devs aren't going to put out quality products for what 10 bucks a month will give. That's the difference from TLOU2 and Crackdown 3. Should be a fun generation to see play out.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#155 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

@Sushiglutton: The point is money. You may not think so now, but the future will show you I’m right. Microsoft already puts games like cuphead, Ori, Hellblade, Minecraft , etc.. on multiple systems. These games won’t be any different. 7.5 billion is a significant investment for them. They aren’t going to keep them first party when there’s money to recoup

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#156 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@general_solo76 said:

@Sushiglutton: The point is money. You may not think so now, but the future will show you I’m right. Microsoft already puts games like cuphead, Ori, Hellblade, Minecraft , etc.. on multiple systems. These games won’t be any different. 7.5 billion is a significant investment for them. They aren’t going to keep them first party when there’s money to recoup

I understand that would net them more money in the short run. But their goal seems to be to totally dominate the market and they are prepared to pay a ton of money to do so.

Time will tell. I’m just not convinced either way.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#157 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69461 Posts

@general_solo76 said:

It all depends. With Gamepass allowing gamers to game on their phones/tablets and possible on their TVs in the future, exclusive may switch to excluded as in specific platforms maybe excluded.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2066 Posts

That's a significant IP acquisition.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Sushiglutton

@sts106mat said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@general_solo76 said:

Anyone who thinks games like Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc.. won’t stay multi platform are extremely delusional. Microsoft would never make their investment back at 7.5 billion dollars plus the hundreds of millions of dollars it costs to develop and market these games without staying multi platform. Minecraft cost them 2.5 billion, and it’s on every device known to man.

They will obviously still be on PC. But I’m not as confident as you that they will release all those franchises on Playstation. I mean, what’s the point of this acquisition if they do?

to attract more people to xbox who will then sign up for the gamepass subscription.

the more games that are on it, the more players will come and the longer people stay subbed.

Why would it attract more people to xbox to release those games on Ps5?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Pedro  Online

Seems like some Sony fannies have gone into hiding.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#161 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

Now that would be an acquisition that could benefit the xbox.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#164 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@Sagemode87 said:

@regnaston: to everyone playing MS cheergirl right now, you get what you pay for. Devs aren't going to put out quality products for what 10 bucks a month will give. That's the difference from TLOU2 and Crackdown 3. Should be a fun generation to see play out.

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I want to get the lottery numbers for Friday.

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Kell_the_Gamer
Member since 2012 • 885 Posts

Todd Howard on Joining Xbox: https://bethesda.net/en/article/4IwKWIj174Cb2QNTTtBAEb/todd-howard-on-joining-xbox?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Community

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:
@sts106mat said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@general_solo76 said:

to attract more people to xbox who will then sign up for the gamepass subscription.

the more games that are on it, the more players will come and the longer people stay subbed.

It wouldn't but if you keep releasing new games on GamePass at launch its just a matter of time before more people buy into it. Microsoft cant get 3rd party on gamepass at launch so they need more 1st party or at least more control on 3rd party.

Microsoft really going for the subscription model.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 regnaston

Lol well he got his Japanese studio

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Sushiglutton

@sts106mat said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@sts106mat said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@general_solo76 said:

because with gamepass, you wont have to pay £75 to play TES6.

So you are saying that they don’t need to exclude Playstation, because gamepass is such a superior deal that people will migrate to Xbox anyway?

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 General_Solo76

@Pedro: either way, it’s a good acquisition for Microsoft. I just don’t believe these major franchises won’t appear elsewhere when Minecraft cost them a third of this deal, and it’s on every device known to man. Time will tell, but who knows at this point.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#170 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but, it's interesting. I've been disappointed with Bethesda's lackluster handling of recent releases. Fallout 76 was awful, Doom Eternal failed to live up to the 2016 release, and honestly, Skyrim is far from my favorite elder scrolls. Fallout 4 and Skyrim added a lot of generic, copy and paste quests to inflate the number of hours of content and decreased the overall quality of gameplay to the point I got bored before completing either. Maybe that'll change. Maybe it'll stay the same and the money will just go to someone else. Time will tell.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I mean, maybe this will make the next Elder Scrolls actually decent? I doubt it, but it's a hopeful wish. Bethesda hasn't really done anything good in quite a while, so hopefully it will have an impact on game quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

No Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield or new Fallout on Playstation? That's HUGE!

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@sts106mat said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@sts106mat said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@general_solo76 said:

because with gamepass, you wont have to pay £75 to play TES6.

TES6 instantly becomes a high tier exclusive for MS, no way it comes to PS5. You use an IP like that to move consoles and get subs to services.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 regnaston

@general_solo76 said:

@Pedro: either way, it’s a good acquisition for Microsoft. I just don’t believe these major franchises won’t appear elsewhere when Minecraft cost them a third of this deal, and it’s on every device known to man. Time will tell, but who knows at this point.

Minecraft was already on every device known to man though

I do not see MS pulling existing games from other platforms but I can see them publishing future games with exclusivity

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Kell_the_Gamer

I have been incredibly blessed to spend my entire career at, and help build, one of the best places to make games in the world - Bethesda.

And I’ve had the joy of doing it with some of the most talented, humble, and passionate people there are. They are part of my family, and my good friends. I have also had the pleasure of working with, and partnering with, many of the best gaming and tech companies in the world. But our longest, and closest partner during my career, has been Microsoft.Today we join them, and I wanted to share some personal thoughts on what it means and our shared vision.The trajectory of Xbox, and the trajectory of Bethesda, in many ways have gone hand in hand.From our beginning, we had primarily been a PC developer. In 1999, two things happened. One, Bethesda became part of a brand-new startup - ZeniMax Media. And Microsoft started development of their first video game console - The Xbox. I can remember my first trip to Redmond to discuss the new system and bringing our next game, Morrowind, to the Xbox. I was dubious Xbox Morrowind would be worth the time, somewhat on a technical level, but more so from taking a hardcore RPG and moving it from a PC desktop experience to a controller-and-sofa experience. If we made it work, would people want it?Microsoft and their new Xbox crew had a view, that I came to share completely. Shouldn’t we allow anyone to have this experience? Why does it matter where the screen is or what the controller is? There are many people without the same access, and we can bring it to them.Morrowind would go on to become one of the best-selling Xbox games of all time, behind Halo, another PC style game some said wouldn’t work. Its success paved the way for the growth of our company, and proved the point - people wanted this experience, regardless of device.Microsoft quickly let us in on their next system, the Xbox 360. More than a PC port, our aim with our next game, Oblivion, was to usher in the next generation of gaming. With each game, from Fallout 3 to Skyrim, our studio and company grew, adding brilliant and like-minded studios across the globe. All of us sharing in the belief that expanding the reach of gaming was fundamental, whether it was on a pc, console, your phone, or the cloud.With each new console cycle, we evolved together. From bringing mods to consoles with Fallout 4, now over a billion downloads, to the latest technologies fueling Xbox Series X/S. These new systems are optimized for the vast worlds we love to create, with generational leaps not just in graphics, but CPU and data streaming as well. It’s led to our largest engine overhaul since Oblivion, with all new technologies powering our first new IP in 25 years, Starfield, as well as The Elder Scrolls VI.Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.We can’t think of a better group of people to do that with than those at Xbox. We have friendships that go back to those original days. From Phil to his senior leaders to developer support, they don’t just talk about putting players first, they passionately live it. At Bethesda, we’ve been lucky enough to create games we love, and have an audience who loves them as much as we do. I have personally been humbled by the many industry honors I have received, as they belong to the entire studio. But one has always stood out to me for a special reason. When I received the Lifetime Achievement Award at GDC, I joked in my acceptance “I wonder how many achievement points this one is worth?” At the end of the ceremony, some good friends from Microsoft congratulated me and said they’d find out. A few months later I was given a code to a game they had created, named after me and locked to my account. When ran, it unlocks a single achievement - “Lifetime - 1000pts.” It still sits in my list when I check, and I smile every time.It has been a lifetime. But there’s more to come and achievements to unlock together. We hope you join us. All the best,Todd

Todd Howard

Bethesda Game Studios

Kell_the_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Kell_the_Gamer

Sorry for the double post guys. I can not figure out the formatting changes on this site. I was trying to edit a post and add the article as a quote but I find the formatting on here to be very difficult to work with.

Is there still a forum to discuss PC gaming? It feels like these forums are less populated than I last came here.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#180 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Microsoft now has a real engine in house they can use in ID Tech 6. Use that in everything.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

To answer the question everyone is asking: Phil Spencer tells @dinabass that Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.

Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#182 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Sony gamer will probably still be able to play Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo at $70 a pop, but Xbox gamers will now probably get both day one on Game Pass Ultimate.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Pedro  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: @fedor: Which they desperately needed!

@Pedro: It also isn't swaying people, MS has made desperate moves here too adding EA Play despite previously admitting Game Pass is losing them money. If Game Pass does sonehow get popular and is no longer a loss leader then a lot of things are going to disappear from the service

If you think that EA Play and the acquisition of

• Bethesda Softworks
  • Bethesda Game Studios
  • id Software
  • ZeniMax Online Studios
  • Arkane
  • MachineGames
  • Tango Gameworks
  • Alpha Dog
  • Roundhouse Studios

Isn't going to make a difference then your are in denial. Right now you are doing damage control. MS is setting up Gamepass to be a long term service that is the Netflix/Disney+ of gaming. There is currently NO one competing in this space. If you also think it was a desperate move then you are too caught up with System Wars nonsense.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Fedor

@bluestars said:

To answer the question everyone is asking: Phil Spencer tells @dinabass that Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.

Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."

MS to Sony

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#186 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Kell_the_Gamer: yes there is. The forum dropdown should show it - but you now have to click "see all forums" in the dropdown to get away from SW and the Games Discussion

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 670 Posts

According to the other site I go to, (am I allowed to name it on here?), Phil Spencer has confirmed that all Bethesda games can be sold on other consoles such as the PS5 and Switch. It will be decided on a game by game basis.

It makes sense as Sony customers will also be Microsoft customers now. They will be getting money from them for games such as the next Elder Scrolls.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@fedor:

cows best get a SS or the sleepless nights wondering what bangers the might/might not get will have them demented

hah

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Pedro  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Nobody said it wasn't, just that it's desperate. How much if a difference remains to be seen though. Also taking Bethesda off of non-MS platforms opens up an opportunity for another developer.

No, its not desperate. Its only desperate to someone who thinks that deals like this are done overnight. Stop being silly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Pedro  Online
@jcafcwbb said:

According to the other site I go to, (am I allowed to name it on here?), Phil Spencer has confirmed that all Bethesda games can be sold on other consoles such as the PS5 and Switch. It will be decided on a game by game basis.

It makes sense as Sony customers will also be Microsoft customers now. They will be getting money from them for games such as the next Elder Scrolls.

I would love to see these companies barter games for more multiplatform games. 😁A win for gamers.

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

i wanT a DREAMCA$T

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Fedor

@marleygamer said:

i wanT a DREAMCA$T

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamcast-System-Console-w-Controller-Cables-Model-HKT-3020/333728354659?hash=item4db3c29163:g:BFsAAOSwsR5fZ-42

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

The bigger news is that Freedom Fighters has released on Steam and GoG. I'm not seeing it on Steam yet, but it is on GoG.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#194  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Best part for MS is this probably didn't cost them anything really. That $7.5 billion is likely part of a larger pool of money where if they didn't invest in some kind of acquisition tax write-off that they'd have to pay to Uncle Sam at end of the year, so good to know they're not blowing the opportunity away on TiKTok and WeChat and shit.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22673 Posts

Wow... That would be a Megatron acquisition. Pardon the pun.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@Pedro said:
@girlusocrazy said:

@Pedro: Nobody said it wasn't, just that it's desperate. How much if a difference remains to be seen though. Also taking Bethesda off of non-MS platforms opens up an opportunity for another developer.

No, its not desperate. Its only desperate to someone who thinks that deals like this are done overnight. Stop being silly.

Do people actually think that? Like "oh shit we're in trouble, quick let's buy Disney!"?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

They haven't tainted Elder Scrolls, but they ruined Fallout... and that had to lower expectations for the next Elder Scrolls.

That being said, when you throw in Doom and Wolfenstein and the rest of the id Catalog those are some good IP's to own. Maybe now the technical level of these Bethesda games can be raised, sadly MS actually hasn't been great on a technical level (look at the junk MS is peddling with Halo). So even that isn't exactly a given, but there's no excuse now for them to use the same old crappy engine. MS should get all their studios on the same page using better development engines.

Id Tech 7 baby...but it's Vulkan so MS will definitely force them to have DX renderer. Good for Carmack that he left ages ago.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 General_Solo76

Bethesda's upcoming games (such as the next Elder Scrolls) will launch on Xbox, PC and "other consoles on a case-by-case basis", the outlet was told by Xbox boss Phil Spencer.........(From Eurogamer)

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#199 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

That's definitely a more worthwhile investment than FFXVI

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#200 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

let's assume bethesda game studios pull their finger out and don't have a shocker of a gen again and therefore es6, starfield and f5 will actually be decent games, plus arkane, plus id... if these were to become xbox exclusive games / studios, that would definitely halt me in my tracks of starting this gen with a ps5.

i'm sure they'll have to honour their deathloop agreement with sony but still, could be a powerful weapon should they choose to wield it and not go the game pass route