Microsoft Gearing Up To Announce Windows 9

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Microsoft's BUILD 2014 conference, that takes place in April 2014, has completely sold out, as the company is expected to announce details on Windows 9, the next Windows OS.

I am personally very excited about Windows 9- Windows 8 was a great first step at something special, but it was fudged up. I assume that just as Windows 7 fixed up the mess that Windows Vista made, while still keeping the same core fundamentals intact, Windows 9 will fix up Windows 8, while keeping its fundamentals intact and refining on them.

SOURCE

Between Windows 9, the recent upsurge of popularity of OS X gaming, and SteamOS coming up, I think PC gaming is in for an exciting time.

SrgtSaggy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SrgtSaggy101
Member since 2004 • 1956 Posts

already??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SrgtSaggy101 said:

already??

If it is announced this year and released next year, Windows 8 would have a comparable lifespan to Windows Vista and Windows 7. I suspect that just as Vista's general failure spurred on a quicker release of Windows 7, 8's failure will spur on a general release of Windows 9.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Why not Windows One?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@PhazonBlazer said:

Why not Windows One?

They need to get to Windows 360 first. Still 352 to go.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@SrgtSaggy101 said:

already??

well it's been 8.1 for a while now.

With Steam unveiling Open source Os's in the future, I can't imagine how Microsoft will keep charging such exorbitant sums of money, same with Apple and OSX.

Linux has received increased developer support thanks to GabeN, I can only see it getting larger.

The times are a changing.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i wonder if they will stick with the tried and trusted business model, or if maybe they will add extra methods. office 365 is new. i've often felt a subscription to windows might be a good option for some people.

i bought 3 windows licenses last gen. this gen, ideally, i don't want to buy any.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Feels a bit soon but like you said it is comparable to 7/Vista if it comes out next year. Hopefully it will be like Windows 7, 8 is nowhere near as bad as people make out (at least it's actually quick and not slow as shit like Vista was) but the two OS's in one could be integrated sooo much better plus they really do need to give people more choice and I don't mean the choice to use an external program to fix shit.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Excellent. Windows 8 is pretty damn cool and all except for a lot of start menu things being relegated to that first screen and my touchpad being annoying to use on my laptop because they didn't get QA to test out Windows 8 implementations.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

They need to remove the Metro UI and they're set

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

hope they lower the price 100 is to much

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Going to have to give me a reason to leave 7 to get me to buy it. 8 Never gave me that reason and actually gave me reasons not to buy it. I guess I will just have to wait and see what 9 does.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Annoying how fast they ditch their "amazing" OS tech. Microsoft is the kind of the mediocre. Hopefully this time they listen to the users not to the corporate suits when it comes to the UI and function of the OS.

It's pretty stressful having to relearn their OS every couple years, find a fucking acceptable design and stick with that shit you bums!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

And here I am on windows 7. Out of date piece of shit

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

This would make Windows 8 the only Windows OS that I never will use unless Windows 9 disappoints.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I made a joke years ago that Win 8 was going the way of Vista...people got mad.

In fact, I remember when people in SW defended what was a relatively new Win Vista when I suggested people wait for Win7.

Hopefully Win 9 wins consumers over like Win7 and XP because Win8 was a huge joke to me. I could see the use for Tablet users, but not PC gamers that were completely satisfied with Win 7. I know hundreds of gamers that passed on Win8 when upgrading their PCs just a few months ago and got Win7 instead. Win 8 is finally competent, but not necessary. For M$, it's all about the revenue streams of course.

I still remember 3.1 and before that even...

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Are they taking notes from Activision? This is way too soon. Drop the prices on these damn operating systems if you're going to make them obsolete so quickly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MonsieurX said:

No, the Metro UI is genius, they just need to integrate it into the core OS better.

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Going to have to give me a reason to leave 7 to get me to buy it. 8 Never gave me that reason and actually gave me reasons not to buy it. I guess I will just have to wait and see what 9 does.

That's pretty much the same as XP->Vista->7 though. If Microsoft keeps up with that pattern (lol), 9 should be pretty darn awesome.

@SolidTy said:

In fact, I remember when people in SW defended what was a relatively new Win Vista when I suggested people wait for Win7.

Hopefully Win 9 wins consumers over because Win8 was a huge joke to me.

I am curious as to why you think 8 was a joke. It was a supremely fast and stable OS, and especially after the patches and 8.1, it ironed out any initial kinks that it might have had as well.

Admittedly, if you came in to 8 at launch, then coupled with the massively steep learning curve that 8 reportedly had at first, I can see why it would make a bad impression on you.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@MonsieurX said:

No, the Metro UI is genius, they just need to integrate it into the core OS better.

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

That's pretty much the same as XP->Vista->7 though. If Microsoft keeps up with that pattern (lol), 9 should be pretty darn awesome.

@SolidTy said:

Hopefully Win 9 wins consumers over like Win7 and XP because Win8 was a huge joke to me. I could see the use for Tablet users, but not PC gamers that were completely satisfied with Win 7. I know hundreds of gamers that passed on Win8 when upgrading their PCs just a few months ago and got Win7 instead. Win 8 is finally competent, but not necessary. For M$, it's all about the revenue streams of course.

I still remember 3.1 and before that even...

I am curious as to why you think 8 was a joke. It was a supremely fast and stable OS, and especially after the patches and 8.1, it ironed out any initial kinks that it might have had as well.

Admittedly, if you came in to 8 at launch, then coupled with the massively steep learning curve that 8 reportedly had at first, I can see why it would make a bad impression on you.

I spoke so much about it over the years, that I simply can't be compelled to talk too much on the subject anymore in 2014. I confess, regurgitating my arguments would bore me, it's not you, it's just to me...I can't find the energy to do it all again today. You have to catch me when these things are hot and relatively new to hear my take on it, but for now, I'll just say Win7 users didn't need no Win8 tiles gimmick. I think Tablet people fared better than the PC crowd when talking Win8. Isn't there a lot of opinions on Win8 by now? Just read the list of complaints and I'm filed in some of those somewhere. I just wasn't impressed with a new OS at the time that did and performed worse than my current Win7 OS at that time of launch.

I hope Win 9 is good, but even then there needs to be huge reasons on asking for more OS money before I just on board. I actually hate new OS launches now. You pay the most and beta test and end up smoothing the OS out for the future users (Can be said for a lot of things, but I just find this process the least amount of fun). It's not worth the headache to me...It's strange, but I like setting up AVR/speakers and fine tuning/ calibrating sound (which takes a lot of effort and time if committed) more than dealing with OS bugs. And I don't like doing either, but if I was in hell, I would take option A.

I also know others that find more joy in buying the latest OSs and building new PCs more than gaming on their new PCs. It's sort of become a modern day replacement for some than say, building up a motorcycle, ship in a bottle, or project car. My uncle is like that, he loves piecing these PCs together, it feels good to him to have the latest thing, sending emails for them to fix bugs he finds...he gets joy out of it. He used to be a big gamer, I don't know what happened.

Back on topic, you nailed it at the end, I came in to Win 8 to early, and even then...it was never worth the purchase over Win7 for me.

They ask a lot of money for a new Windows OS on top of it all, it's exorbitant.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

9 already?! I'm still using 7.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Get rid of metro garbage and maybe I'll upgrade.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@bbkkristian said:

Are they taking notes from Activision? This is way too soon. Drop the prices on these damn operating systems if you're going to make them obsolete so quickly.

Lol..They don't become obsolete at all. Most people skipped 8 anyway. The majority of people would welcome this if it brought improvements

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I dunno know, I'm still using Windows 7. If they want me to upgrade to Windows 9, the performance boost it grants over 7 should be huge; not marginal.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I'm still sporting Windows 7.

Ain't upgrading anytime soon. (unless 9 has an uber price reduction like 8 did. I can't believe I missed that)

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2139 Posts

I never used windows 8 is it bad or something?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

TCHBO!

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

Almost pulled the trigger on Windows 8 like 5-6x last year.

Glad I didn't. Would've been a waste.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'll wait to see what bugs and glitches it has before I jump to 9. I'm still on 7 but am willing to learn 8 if that's the way they are going.

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

but windows 8 is already perfect. <3

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I'm still using windows 7... damn... i feel like that time when vista came out and windows 7 was about to come out and i was still using Windows XP SP2.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

They should ditch the Metro tiles shit as a whole. They probably won't though.

Would be funny if Windows 9 wound up as derided as 8. Like the Xbone, they should have done their market research before launching their product instead of after.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

**** Windows 8. Windows 7 is much better. Too bad Microsoft can't redo a XP.

MS is just trying to cash in on Apple products tbh. They release new shit every 6 months and people eat that shit.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@TrappedInABox91 said:

**** Windows 8. Windows 7 is much better. Too bad Microsoft can't redo a XP.

MS is just trying to cash in on Apple products tbh. They release new shit every 6 months and people eat that shit.

I kind of hated Windows 7, but much rather prefer Windows 8. However, XP is still the best.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

I can't tell you how much I hate windows 8

nyzma23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nyzma23
Member since 2013 • 1003 Posts

windows 9 aka threshold will unify apps from windows,xbox and windows phone into one store and will be use the same api ,that's the goal

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

While windows 8 was stupidly fast, it looks awful, and I cannot stand the metro ui.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

With Steam unveiling Open source Os's in the future, I can't imagine how Microsoft will keep charging such exorbitant sums of money, same with Apple and OSX.

Well for one you can do much more than just gaming on windows and OSX compared to steamOS. I have no idea why are you even comparing them.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@edidili said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Well for one you can do much more than just gaming on windows and OSX compared to steamOS. I have no idea why are you even comparing them.

Right now maybe, it's not going to stay that way.

keyword: Future.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Windows 7 didn't really fix Vista. It's pretty much just Vista with a new name.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's all Windows 9 is. Windows 8 is not a bad OS, but it's been plagued with bad press. Windows 9 will give the name change, and new line of advertising that Windows needs all while pretty much being the same product.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Right now maybe, it's not going to stay that way.

keyword: Future.

I'm pretty sure Valve never intended for steamOS to be a desktop OS and compete with windows/osx. Is a gaming only OS, that's what they've been saying all along. You're expecting from them something they never promised.

You really think Valve, a gaming company can enter an entirely new market that has little to do with gaming, the desktop productivity OS one? Just like that. Go against huge companies like MS and Apple and compete with products that took them decades to make.

SteamOS is a gaming OS designed for the living room with a controller and going against Xbox and PS4 OSs.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Syn_Valence said:

I never used windows 8 is it bad or something?

Yes. My girl has it on her laptop and while I can use it, I sure don't like it. I ended up buying 7 for my PC when I built it even though 8 had been out. After using her laptop, I am glad I did.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Perhaps MS should make Metro similar to Windows Media Center where the user can leave it totally off. Also, MS should bring back Windows 7's Aero and transparencies for the desktop. I don't really care about the Start Menu. But, MS can take a cue from Apple,and make the Taskbar length adjustable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

I have Windows 7 on my home PC and Windows 8.1 on my work laptop. I disabled the metro look and installed Start8, which give you the task bar, start menu, windows explorer. I like it like this, but half of my Steam collection breaks with Windows 8.1.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Microsoft's BUILD 2014 conference, that takes place in April 2014, has completely sold out, as the company is expected to announce details on Windows 9, the next Windows OS.

I am personally very excited about Windows 9- Windows 8 was a great first step at something special, but it was fudged up. I assume that just as Windows 7 fixed up the mess that Windows Vista made, while still keeping the same core fundamentals intact, Windows 9 will fix up Windows 8, while keeping its fundamentals intact and refining on them.

SOURCE

Between Windows 9, the recent upsurge of popularity of OS X gaming, and SteamOS coming up, I think PC gaming is in for an exciting time.

There's an upsurge of popularity with gaming on OS X? Don't you mean Linux? As the developer of Democracy and Gratuitous Space Battles said, "Linux looks more important to gaming than ever." Source.