Microsoft Explains Why Xbox Series X Controller Still Uses Batteries.

• 161 results
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

I much prefer using non-proprietary batteries instead of battery packs. I have old - like, well over a decade old - XBOX 360 controllers that I use on my PC which don't require me to track down hardware from a long outdated console to use. What's more, should I ever use my devices heavily enough to actually drain the battery, I can simply pop in some new standard AA's to continue using it. Lastly, if I really want rechargeable batteries, I can buy one of the readily available AA's charging sets out there.

This shilling for proprietary battery packs always astounded me. It's like you people want to be tied to companies that grossly overcharge for products that they will only support for so long, when there are almost ubiquitous alternatives you could be using instead, like AA batteries. Seriously, why? It just seems so boneheaded to me, and then to present it like it's some kind of advantage...

If given a choice, I'll go with standard AA's over overpriced, finitely supported, proprietary crap every time.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9774 Posts

@nfamouslegend: Batteries get hot. Even more so when using fast charge, and exploding batteries while charging does happen, and has happened to a number of ds4 users. Not enough to be worried about, but enough for me to definitely not want a 4x larger battery charging.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

The Playstation controller still goes dead too soon. Xbox has always held a charge for at least 5 x as long.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@SUD123456 said:

I am a rechargeable AA battery fan. I have invested close to zero in this solution since I already have a bunch of rechargeable batteries and chargers useful for many other things. The PlayStation solution is terrible with crap battery life. There is a reason why half of people prefer rechargeable AAs.

Unless you have those for free you did invested allot.

The fact that you are not doing it NOW doesn't mean you didn't invest on it when you bought them back then,they also are not eternal.I know i owned a 360,xbox one and had devices like control remotes and other that use AA batteris and AAA and i use to have rechargeables

My god xbox fans are something else,and until now it has been on spot the same known lemmings and one or 2 eceptions using some lame excuse to justify it.

The PS solution may be terrible in battery life but saved me money,since i didn't have to invest over the YEARS yes YEARS how long has been since the 360 launch 15 years?

@sealionact said:

@xantufrog: My hand is firmly up. Absolutely rigid, with Peter pointy finger pointing straight up as well. Absolutely despise having to leave the controller plugged in at night to charge, or have a cable draping across the room as I play.

Give me the option to use rechargeable if you must, just keep the much longer lasting AA solution there if I prefer.

Oh it could not have been any other way,and most of you totally ignored what Xantu asked about brand loyalty.

Now that is an original excuse having a cable draping across the room.

@phbz said:

I wish more companies did like Sony and gave us no options and a battery so crappy that basically turned the controller wired for that 90s feeling.

You don't have an option with MS,you will buy batteries PERIOD rechargeable or not you are paying extra,we don't pay extra oh how i much i hate sony for forcing me to not pay for batteries.

I may end buying a series X next gen just for the pleasure of buying a play and charge kit on top of a damn $170 dollar so call elite controller.

Thats funny because the xbox 360 was actually the last console with a true wire controller,the PS3 went wireless since 2006 and with battery built in like any other device not from the 80's.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

@tormentos: You do realize that, regardless of who makes the batteries, they have a finite number of recharges before they're shot, right? And when that happens you're stuck buying new batteries from either Sony or literally anyone else if you use AA batteries? I'm still using original XBOX 360 controllers I got with a console release year for Steam and emulation and I don't have to go through an overcharging middle man to replace the batteries. These controllers are probably older than some posters on this forum and I don't have to dicker with Sony or third parties to find obscure battery types to use them. I can use either my common rechargeable AA's that work with everything else in my house, or just buy fresh ones, and I'm never tied to my console by a cable.

I'm not even a Lemming. I love Playstation games, have supported their consoles since before XBOX even existed, and I actually play more on PC right now than anything else. I just think tying yourself to proprietary hardware for something that has a finite lifespan is a moronic thing to do. Doing it because of console loyalties is doubly stupid.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 tormentos

@sealionact said:

I dont think Sony could make a worse controller for me if they tried than the ds4. Cant handle the symmetrical thumb sticks, they feel totally counterintuitive...and it always takes me a good few hours for me to get to grips with them....by that time the batteries have died, thanks to the useless light that i still cant turn off. The light is about as useful as the trackpad by the way, and now we're hearing about more gimmicky crap like sweat sensing on ps5's controller.

Just give me a sturdy pad with the thumb sticks in the right place without useless gimmicks that I can use on PC or previous gen consoles if I want.

You mean then controller MS copy from sony and sega?

The xbox controller was a mix of analogues positions from both the DS shock and the DC controller,so much was this true that the original xbox controller even had holes on top like the DC.

Man stop the xbox controller has never ever been the standard on the industry is superior to lemmings who think every damn thing is superior on xbox it has been like this since the monstracity that the original xbox controller was which only felt great only on basketball players huge hands.

I don't have a particula problem with any controller,i adapt that is what gamers do,but i forget you lemmings are just cry babies who complain about anything PS.

Fact is controllers will never ever been a reason for a console to be pick up over another,is just a sad excuse.

If you can't play with the DS or any PS can't play with the xbox controller,that say more about them about gamers than anything else.

That doesn't include the terrible original xbox controller that shit sucked,the S model was much better.

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#59 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

@tormentos said:
@davillain- said:

Sony force me to use my USB cable and by that, I had to buy an extension USB cord and the DS4 battery life is so pathetic, I wish Sony would give me the option to use AA batteries or 18+hour rechargeable batteries to say the least. In short, MS is no different from Sony but at least MS has more options to offer compare to Sony.

2020 and beyond, no matter what the year is, batteries will still be a thing. Rechargeable batteries as well.

Yeah and they force you to pay for electricity too,damn you sony.

The only option you have with MS is PAYING that is not an option is mandatory.

Obtion is when you can chose,if they gave you a controller with built in one and one without then you have an option,what you have is a controller that FORCE you to buy batteries PERIOD either rechargeable or not is not an option is mandatory.

But everyone see things from a different perspetive in this place.🤷‍♂️

It last from 4 to 8 hours depending on how hard to work it.

And the cable that came with mine was 6.

LMAO!

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 sealionact

@tormentos: Oh Tormy...can you please stop owning yourself...for once?

Xantu asked a question, and you didnt like the answer.... Yes, I hate having to plug in my ds4 to charge with a cable when the battery dies and yes, kids and dogs have tripped over it countless times...and as I mentioned elsewhere, ds4s have burned while charging. Any charging battery can.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

I also don’t particularly care for putting anything with an internal battery away in storage for any length of time.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 tormentos
@goldenelementxl said:

Good. I would much rather use AA’s than deal with charging a controller every 3 hours. Hell, the PS4 has us back in 1984 sitting 3 feet from our TV because the controller needs to be wired to the console. And with TVs getting so big and so damn bright, you don’t wanna sit that close.

The controller last more than 4 hours,the cable is 6 feet long.

Any other exageration on your part?

So wait you say the PS4 has us back in the 84 because of a cable that doesn't need to be plug in unless you want to play while you charge,but some how the xbox doesn't send you even further back?

You do know the AA batery dates back to 1907 right?

@Pedro said:

Well this thread backfired super hard.

Well it did to lemmings who are the great majority on the thread..lol

@sealionact said:

@nfamouslegend: I'm guessing you have no worries about leaving a 4000 mah battery on charge in your living room overnight... personally, I just dont get how it's better than AAs, but to each their own.

Todays devices have a sensor that stop the charge once the batter is fully charged.

Any other excuse?

The DS4 has one by the way,it stop charging once it reach full charge.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

That's not very eco friendly though. Using AA batteries in 2020?? Would have thought the controller would be cheaper to buy at least, but no. Just as stupid as having the external power supply on the X1 back in the day.

People want to charge their phones but not controllers? I just charge my PS4 controller with a USB backup battery if I don't have any outlets nearby. With a screwdriver you could also replace the battery in the PS controller with a bigger one.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6844 Posts

Obvious cash grab is obvious.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#65 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

@tormentos: I forgot, anyone who doesn't agree to your foolishness is a lemming. LOL.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@tormentos: Sit 6 ft from a 85” TV and tell me that’s ideal. And I have 6 DS4 controllers. I doubt any of them hit 4 hours before I’m being told the battery is low. I probably play and entire month before changing batteries in a Xbox controller. Probably longer.

Now the Switch Pro controller. That thing is amazing! I don’t remember the last time I charged it and it still works.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22367 Posts

@locopatho said:

Very good news.

All batteries lose capacity over time. If it's a built in battery, you're screwed and forced to replace the whole thing. See: smartphones.

Giving us the ability to swap them out is very consumer friendly. I'll continue using rechargeable AA batteries and swapping them out every couple years when they start to lose their charge.

My PS4 pad definitely holds less charge than it did, albeit after a whole gen of solid use. Still, I'd replace it's batteries, if I could.

This.

I'd much rather have the option of using my own AA batteries than having the sh*t battery that the PS4 controller forces you to use that lasts only a few hours. My rechargeable Eneloop batteries last for days without recharging.

@kuu2 said:

Sony Fan downplays being over matched in the power game but makes a thread about the horrors of batteries in controllers. Ok dude...........

Lol, nailed it.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Nintendo did it right with their built in battery. Sony hopefully learned and we'll get better battery life with the DS5. I'd absolutely hate having to use AA batteries. I'd buy a battery pack if I had a xbox for sure.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

I'm reading on here people complaining that batteries die after a while.. that hasn't happened on my ps4 but I know its 4 screws to open and a few bucks to replace with a new one. I did this with my ps3 controllers. Seriously not something I'd worry about.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4861 Posts

I have Enloops at the house for my XBone and other things. Built in batteries suck. I've had my controllers for 6-7 years. The batteries would be trash by now if not for AA replaceable batteries.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 tormentos

@sealionact said:

@nfamouslegend: Batteries get hot. Even more so when using fast charge, and exploding batteries while charging does happen, and has happened to a number of ds4 users. Not enough to be worried about, but enough for me to definitely not want a 4x larger battery charging.

Yeah that can also happen to your play and charge kit which batteries are rechargeable as well,any more pathetic excuses?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 sealionact

@tormentos said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Good. I would much rather use AA’s than deal with charging a controller every 3 hours. Hell, the PS4 has us back in 1984 sitting 3 feet from our TV because the controller needs to be wired to the console. And with TVs getting so big and so damn bright, you don’t wanna sit that close.

The controller last more than 4 hours,the cable is 6 feet long.

Any other exageration on your part?

So wait you say the PS4 has us back in the 84 because of a cable that doesn't need to be plug in unless you want to play while you charge,but some how the xbox doesn't send you even further back?

You do know the AA batery dates back to 1907 right?

@Pedro said:

Well this thread backfired super hard.

Well it did to lemmings who are the great majority on the thread..lol

@sealionact said:

@nfamouslegend: I'm guessing you have no worries about leaving a 4000 mah battery on charge in your living room overnight... personally, I just dont get how it's better than AAs, but to each their own.

Todays devices have a sensor that stop the charge once the batter is fully charged.

Any other excuse?

The DS4 has one by the way,it stop charging once it reach full charge.

Saying the controllers last 4 hours long is not going to impress someone whose batteries last 30, and saying the cable is 6 feet long isnt going to impress someone who doesnt need one.
Just saying.

"Todays devices have a sensor that stop the charge once the batter is fully charged."

Great! Then these MUST have been a lie;
Sony controller started smoking in my hands
DS4 controller catches fire

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 sealionact

@tormentos said:
@sealionact said:

Yeah that can also happen to your play and charge kit which batteries are rechargeable as well,any more pathetic excuses?

I think we've established that i use AA batteries....not a play and charge kit.
Wow. You're having a nightmare session.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 tormentos

@goldenelementxl said:

@tormentos: Sit 6 ft from a 85” TV and tell me that’s ideal. And I have 6 DS4 controllers. I doubt any of them hit 4 hours before I’m being told the battery is low. I probably play and entire month before changing batteries in a Xbox controller. Probably longer.

Now the Switch Pro controller. That thing is amazing! I don’t remember the last time I charged it and it still works.

I have 2 DS4 and non last less than 4 hours,but if you have 6 DS why the hell do you need to use a cable for?

Even lasting 3 hours you have 6 X 3 hours = 18 hours of gameplay.

Buy a cable extension if that bother you i see you have money to burn and don't care to throw money away.

But how many gamers have a 85 inch screen in their livin room?

That sound as sad as lemming when they claim they don't want a PC because they can't play them on their bed room.

@Pedro said:

@tormentos: I forgot, anyone who doesn't agree to your foolishness is a lemming. LOL.

Man there isn't a worse fanboy that the one who can't see hin self as one,i surely don't suffer from that.

You won't see me cheerleading for sony and then acting like i am not a sony fan,you don't need to be 20 years in this place to know who is who and what is what.

Just to make this even better what happen if sony fix the battery problem and the DS5 last 10 or 12 hours then what will be the excuse?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55896 Posts

@dagubot said:
@tormentos said:
@davillain- said:

Sony force me to use my USB cable and by that, I had to buy an extension USB cord and the DS4 battery life is so pathetic, I wish Sony would give me the option to use AA batteries or 18+hour rechargeable batteries to say the least. In short, MS is no different from Sony but at least MS has more options to offer compare to Sony.

2020 and beyond, no matter what the year is, batteries will still be a thing. Rechargeable batteries as well.

Yeah and they force you to pay for electricity too,damn you sony.

The only option you have with MS is PAYING that is not an option is mandatory.

Obtion is when you can chose,if they gave you a controller with built in one and one without then you have an option,what you have is a controller that FORCE you to buy batteries PERIOD either rechargeable or not is not an option is mandatory.

But everyone see things from a different perspetive in this place.🤷‍♂️

It last from 4 to 8 hours depending on how hard to work it.

And the cable that came with mine was 6.

LMAO!

LOL!

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

I mean you can change out batteries on ps4 I think but you need a screwdriver and it is more expensive.

By mass producing the rechargeable battery packs Xbox gets the best of both worlds

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 tormentos

@sealionact said:

Saying the controllers last 4 hours long is not going to impress someone whose batteries last 30, and saying the cable is 6 feet long isnt going to impress someone who doesnt need one.

Just saying.

"Todays devices have a sensor that stop the charge once the batter is fully charged."

Loading Video...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/my-controller-caught-fire/723d6677-6758-4927-a770-945d07465810

Tell me if you want more links please.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@tormentos said:

I have 2 DS4 and non last less than 4 hours,but if you have 6 DS why the hell do you need to use a cable for?

Even lasting 3 hours you have 6 X 3 hours = 18 hours of gameplay.

Buy a cable extension if that bother you i see you have money to burn and don't care to throw money away.

But how many gamers have a 85 inch screen in their livin room?

That sound as sad as lemming when they claim they don't want a PC because they can't play them on their bed room.

I don't have "money to burn" and I don't throw away any of it. I put what I can spend into my hobby. Throwing money away would be trips to Vegas, golfing, gentlemen clubs etc.

I have 3 PS4's in different rooms in my house. I like to keep each set of controllers near each console.

Also, I don't have a 85" TV in my living room. That's in my home theater. But why do I care how many gamers have what, where? What does that have to do with me? That's like that whole "How many PC gamers even have high end rigs" debates. That doesn't negate my point?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#79 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69083 Posts

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

Man there isn't a worse fanboy that the one who can't see hin self as one,i surely don't suffer from that.

You won't see me cheerleading for sony and then acting like i am not a sony fan,you don't need to be 20 years in this place to know who is who and what is what.

Just to make this even better what happen if sony fix the battery problem and the DS5 last 10 or 12 hours then what will be the excuse?

You come in here bitching about an issue that most don't have an issue with. In your warped mind all these folks are Xbox fanboys because they don't agree with you.

If Sony fixes the battery problem that would be great news. Is someone arguing that it would be terrible if they did? And excuse for what? Wanting the option to easily replace the battery?

Stop shilling so hard man. You are starting sound more like that other raving lunatic. Who would have though 2 TFLOPS would have cause this much whining from you and a few others.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#80 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38111 Posts

AA batteries>10tflops

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 sealionact

@tormentos said:
@sealionact said:

Just saying.

Loading Video...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/my-controller-caught-fire/723d6677-6758-4927-a770-945d07465810

Tell me if you want more links please.

Oh come on. You cannot be serious .... Are you trying to make yourself look bad?
Why are you posting links of controllers that get hot when using a rechargeable battery pack, when I was arguing that controllers with rechargeable battery packs can get hot and catch fire?

You showing cases of rechargeable batteries getting hot makes me even more happy I use non rechargeable AAs.

By the way, are you experiencing any sharp pains in your foot while using your DS4?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 sealionact

Had to laugh at one of the cases that Tormented left a link for...
"I had 4 controller and was charging one as soon as its done i take it outto play a game 2 min in it starts to spark and smoke I take the the battery out and put it in to the others the same thing happened."

You don't think the 3rd party battery pack caused the issue ...Einstein?

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I like having the option, I cant stand the DS4, ive been through 3 and im now on my forth... I still have 2 360 controllers that still work fine.. Being able to charge the controller is great, having batteries as an option is great as well.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@SecretPolice: Not a problem with the PlayStation controller. If your battery is low, just plug it to your PlayStation and keep playing while it recharges.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#85 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12792 Posts

This is great news for sure! More choice > less choice. I love that I can choose between AA, Eneloops rechargeable or a battery pack.

What sucks is that I just bought a new DS4 and it doesn't even come with a charge cable and it was $64.99 :(

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#86 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17400 Posts

I prefer to have the option.

Most of the time I use rechargeable battery packs but there have been plenty of times where none are charged and I want to play

I have 2 kids so plugging after every play session sounds great but kids dictate your time.

There has been many times where I go to play PS4 pro and both controllers are dead so I have to plug them in and turn on PC for a short session.

I would love to just have an option because life is unpredictable. I suppose if i was single and lived alone it might be less of an issue.

I just prefer to have an option rather than forcing me to play wired because the controller is dead

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

@navyguy21: most people have a phone charge cable nearby where they sit anyways, so having a cable is not an issue. You don't need to plug it into the PlayStation. You can also charge it with a battery bank as well.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#88 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12054 Posts

@tormentos said:
@kuu2 said:

Sony Fan downplays being over matched in the power game but makes a thread about the horrors of batteries in controllers. Ok dude...........

Well i knew it would not be long before the first butthurt lemming would show up throwing the xbox series X power into the thread as distraction.

But you care about power now?

@kuu2 said:

Ha!

Yes PS4 gets the better version on paper once again. But probably just like BF4 it won't make an ounce of difference. I just saw the MP version of BF4 on The One and I am more than happy. Have not played a COD since Modern Warfare.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/official-cod-ghosts-1080p-on-ps4-720p-on-xone-30892509/?page=4

Lets party like it is 2013.

From the same thread. Don't be a hack. Also lol at batteries. The superior version of every game will be on on the SeX. Cry moar battery pirate.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#89 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2549 Posts

I had a gameboy and i loved it, but it made me dislike batteries so i'm staying away of them if i can.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

LMAO what is this 2006?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Giving you options, damn you MS you anti consumer bastards lol.

OP has been on a downward spiral ever since the release of the specs of the 9.2TF PS5.

xHedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 xHedon
Member since 2018 • 293 Posts

Well this thread backfired on the OP 😂

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

@tormentos said:

So you suffer when you have to plug in a damn cable for real?

What phone do you have how much can you use your switch straigh if you have one without charging it? How about the 3DS.?

Come one man that excuse is play out to justify that crap,either charging it every 5 or 6 hours or 48 hours you still charging man.

Worse the PS4 controller does work while charging just plug the cable and move on,but i find this sad because on a full charge you would need to play some 5+ hours before that controller gives up,do you play 5 hours straight without a single break?

Having to consistently charge a controller because of poor battery life? Yeah, it's annoying. Shocker. If I knew we were getting something in-line with the Switch Pro/WiiU Pro controller in terms of battery life, that's a whole different scenario.

I solely play my Switch docked. Regardless, being able to switch rechargeable batteries on the fly and just continuing with my wireless gaming, that's great for me.

Dude, you're making excuses, and defending poor controller design. Get your head out of Sony's ass for a change, and make some sense. You can buy rechargeable batteries, or a battery pack for the Xbox controller, should you wish.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

omfg it still uses AA batteries what year is this jesus fking

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#95 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

The Elite 2 controller doesn't even support batteries. lol

--- Re: DS4

The DualShock 4 is simply incredibly inefficient compared to other controllers and, the battery is on the small side.

Xbox One Controller -> up to 30 hours from 1,400mAh = avg 47mA.

Elite Series 2 -> up to 40 hours from 2,050mAh = avg 51mA.

DualShock 3 -> up to 30 hours from 570mAh = avg 19mA.

DualShock 4 -> up to 8 hours (generous) from 1,000mAh = avg 125mA.

---

Having the option is great but, the play and charge kit should be the standard and the kit they sell should be to support batteries. Having to charge your Xbox One controller lets say every week ( ~4 hours a day for 7 days) is at best a minor inconvenience for a small number of gamers. You really *should* have a charging station or a spare controller etc. if you are that active.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61423 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

omfg it still uses AA batteries what year is this jesus fking

So do a lot of things. I'll take a ~20-30hr charge over a ~5 hour charge. I said this last-gen as well. I'm using Eneloop Pros from 4+ years ago (consistent use,) and they're still plugging hard.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

yeah, but you have to get a second DS4 to account for the terrible battery life

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#98  Edited By navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17400 Posts

What is this nonsense about the cost of batteries over 10 years? Just buy a $10-15 battery pack from Amazon. That's why you have the option. You can do AAs or rechargeable.

Some of you act like its AAs only or something.

The same people complaining about batteries are defending the DS4, which is ridiculous. So you'd rather be tethered to the console 3-6ft away or tethered to a rechargeable bank?

If that's ok with you.....why can't it be ok if one prefers batteries so they dont have to worry about a cable? Wouldn't wired controllers also be outdated?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38111 Posts

AA batteries makes the controller heavier. I don't want that, so i don't want any aa batteries inside any gaming controller.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 tormentos

@goldenelementxl said:

I don't have "money to burn" and I don't throw away any of it. I put what I can spend into my hobby. Throwing money away would be trips to Vegas, golfing, gentlemen clubs etc.

I have 3 PS4's in different rooms in my house. I like to keep each set of controllers near each console.

Also, I don't have a 85" TV in my living room. That's in my home theater. But why do I care how many gamers have what, where? What does that have to do with me? That's like that whole "How many PC gamers even have high end rigs" debates. That doesn't negate my point?

Dude buying 6 DS controllers is trowing money away.

So you have money to burn ok i get it.

@Pedro said:

You come in here bitching about an issue that most don't have an issue with. In your warped mind all these folks are Xbox fanboys because they don't agree with you.

If Sony fixes the battery problem that would be great news. Is someone arguing that it would be terrible if they did? And excuse for what? Wanting the option to easily replace the battery?

Stop shilling so hard man. You are starting sound more like that other raving lunatic. Who would have though 2 TFLOPS would have cause this much whining from you and a few others.

No it is an issue that most lemmings refuse to admit,including your HYPOCRITE self who are quick to strick sony as anti consumer,but have been pit against the wall several times vs MS and simply give then a pass on it.

So again you of all persons should be outrage this isn't about having an option or not,this is about MS refusing to move forward and adding a damn rechargeable battery on the xbox,in hopes of selling you a damn play and charge kit,imagine if your damn Iphone or android came without a damn battery and you had to pay for one as well on top of those cell phones been expensive.

IN fact one of the complains i see here is about the battery life,but just because the DS4 battery sucks doesn't mean MS one most suck as well,the PS3 one was pretty good.

This is all based on the fact that MS refuse to move forward and again lemmings defend everything MS does.

Oh look using power to try to spin the topic,again you of all people are one of the biggest hypocrites here,you the same one who is OK with MS charging for online in free to play games and see no problem with this,see you on the next topic about sony been anti consumer.

@adsparky said:

I had a gameboy and i loved it, but it made me dislike batteries so i'm staying away of them if i can.

The GB was great what really make me hate batteries was the sega Nomad my god such a bettery hog oh and the Virtual boy.