Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44014 Posts

The gauntlets been thrown down now. Scorpio baby !! lol :P

Though in all seriousness they're probably right. Sony's gonna need a PS5 in 2018 but that could really piss off those that bought a PS4P.

Anyway, thoughts?

The Story.

---

Microsoft Exec on PS4 Pro -- "4.2 Teraflops Is Not Enough to Do True 4K"

"I feel like our product aspired a little bit higher."

Microsoft's Albert Penello has again spoken up to compare the Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Pro. In an interview with Eurogamer, Penello said the PS4 Pro's 4.2 teraflops of performance is "not enough to do true 4K," while he overall stated that Sony's 4K claims comes with a number of asterisks.

"I think there are a lot of caveats they're giving customers right now around 4K," he said. "They're talking about checkerboard rendering and up-scaling and things like that. There are just a lot of asterisks in their marketing around 4K, which is interesting because when we thought about what spec we wanted for Scorpio, we were very clear we wanted developers to take their Xbox One engines and render them in native, true 4K. That was why we picked the number, that's why we have the memory bandwidth we have, that's why we have the teraflops we have, because it's what we heard from game developers was required to achieve native 4K."

Microsoft Studios general manager Shannon Loftis recently confirmed that Microsoft-made Xbox Scorpio games will be rendered at native 4K. As for Sony, PlayStation president Andrew House stated that the "majority" of PS4 Pro games will be upscaled to 4K as opposed to being rendered natively at that mark.

In the Eurogamer interview, Penello went on to say that, as Sony is doing, it won't require developers to render their games in native 4K.

"They're going to be able to decide to take that six teraflops of power and do what they think is best for their game," he said. "But I know that 4.2 teraflops is not enough to do true 4K. So, I feel like our product aspired a little bit higher, and we will have fewer asterisks around the 4K experiences we deliver on our box."

This is the message Microsoft has been drumming home for a while now. At E3 this year, where Xbox Scorpio was announced, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said Microsoft could have released a more-powerful Xbox this year, but decided to wait so it could deliver a console that offered true 4K.

Asked by Eurogamer if Sony's marketing for PS4 Pro is misleading, Penello said, "I'm not accusing them of anything," adding, "They've been very open about the compromises around 4K."

Regarding what differences there may be between Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Pro games, whether that's frame rate or resolution, Penello said it's too soon to say.

"You and I both know there will be people who claim with absolute certainty that the difference between 1080p and 900p is the most significant thing, and anybody who claims otherwise is blind," he said. "And there will be people who say they can't see a difference. Both people are right in their own minds. So, predicting how developers will use the power and how different the games are going to look, it's hard for me to say right now. So it's probably worth us waiting to see."

"We're building a great platform. We're building the most powerful console ever made. We're doing a lot of work with developers to allow them to harness that power," he added. "I feel really good about our plans. Now we just have to see it play out."

Also in the interview, Penello talked about Microsoft's social media jabs at Sony over the PS4 Pro's lack of a 4K Blu-ray player. This is all part of the business of selling consoles and is not meant to disrespect what Sony is doing, he said.

"There's definitely a certain amount of like, we've got a product to sell, they've got a product to sell, so we're going to highlight the things we think make our product advantaged over their product," Penello explained. "But that to me feels different to the historical Sega does what Nintendon't kind of head-on jabs that have happened in the past. Clearly, you and I are going to talk about Sony and us and why I think our product is better than their product. But it doesn't came with a disrespect for what they're doing."

The full interview is in-depth and fascinating; read it here.

In a previous interview, Penello said the Xbox Scorpio's performance advantage over PS4 Pro will be "obvious." For more on the Xbox Scorpio and PS4 Pro, check out GameSpot's new feature that compares the specs for each system.

PS4 Pro goes on sale in November, priced at $400, while Xbox Scorpio is due to arrive in holiday 2017. A price point for Xbox Scorpio has not been announced, but Microsoft has referred to it as a "premium" product, so it likely won't be cheap.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's always nice, but predictable, when these rich executives speak about their upcoming merchandise/products.

Well, a year from now (a long time in gaming generations) we'll have to see what they provide with the Xbone Scorpio (Xbone 4K).

We'll also have to see the pricepoint as Native 4K is pricey (when factoring all the other console components+GPU+ any other RAM and CPU upgrades).

In the meantime, all we have is these marketing words that do not contribute or improve the resolution of my current Xbone games. :(

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SecretPolice

@SolidTy:

Well, to be fair, I can't play PSbore Amateur ( PSbore upscaled 4K ) right now as well. :(

:P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SolidTy

@SecretPolice: I didn't bring up the incoming PS machine, but...Oh, I see. :P

I wasn't aware I was supposed to make up nicknames for the machines I own like Xbox None, PSPoo, Xboned, PSbore, The Bone etc.

It's true though, that PS4 Pro is releasing in a few months (as opposed to a year+ for the Xbone Scorpio), although I won't be getting the PS4 Pro and I don't care about it.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

"are we getting that Scorpio experience now, just on PC?"

bet it took all his willpower to not say "yes"

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Don't see why Microsoft is talking smack when their product will be out in over a year. They'll be in for a rude awakening when they'll realize specs don't sell consoles.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Don't see why Microsoft is talking smack when their product will be out in over a year. They'll be in for a rude awakening when they'll realize specs don't sell consoles.

Yeh year is a long time in this industry, unless you are waiting for ffxv or tlg

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts
@SolidTy said:

Xbone Scorpio (Xbone 4K).

current Xbone games. :(

^

@SolidTy said:

@SecretPolice:I wasn't aware I was supposed to make up nicknames for the machines I own like Xbox None, PSPoo, Xboned, PSbore, The Bone etc.

Could have fooled us.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

8TFLOPS are not enough to have a great , diverse , exclusive library and playing the "true" 4K game will might backfire.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice

@AzatiS said:

8TFLOPS are not enough to have a great , diverse , exclusive library.

Huh, X1 only has about 1.4TF and Win10 has a great, diverse, Awesome Exclusive library of games.

The Big sting is coming with Scorpio Baby !! :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SolidTy

@kvally said:

@SolidTy said:

SecretPolice:I wasn't aware I was supposed to make up nicknames for the machines I own like Xbox None, PSPoo, Xboned, PSbore, The Bone etc.

Could have fooled us.

I could have fooled you two users with a incredibly common typing moniker for the Xbone? I didn't realize you telepathically spoke for other users now...neato.

I didn't name it the Xbone (short for Xbox One...XbOne), nor do I control what millions call the machine after the Xbox execs settled on that silly name. I can't help how easy it is to type and how the public settled on Xbone, and I can't help noticing with all the time Xbox execs had with their amazing resources they didn't see that coming...but I can see some are thin skinned when people aren't even trying to actually use nicknames. To try just at tiny bit looks like this:

But I guess I could say I was tired with getting Boned by Xbox, when I screamed at the Kinect that "no means no" to the Xbox None, but now I feel it's Xbox Done! (Didn't even used Xboned/Xboner?!)

Same goes for PSPoo, which is PSBoring, when I posted to the PSPoor fans, etc.

Anyways, back on topic...

The Xbone Scorpio is due in over a year and should be quite exciting talking every week about it in the meantime! I know my Xbone games currently seem to look better just by reading this excellent PR for a paper lion a year+ away, posted by incredibly wealthy executive (all companies pimp their products, even PSAmore and Nintendon't execs).

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kvally

@SolidTy said:
@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:

SecretPolice:I wasn't aware I was supposed to make up nicknames for the machines I own like Xbox None, PSPoo, Xboned, PSbore, The Bone etc.

Could have fooled us.

I could have fooled you two users with a incredibly common trolling typing moniker for the Xbone?

Fixed that for you. It is widely known that trolls on gaming forums (such as Xbox official forums, Gamespot, Neogaf, PS Official forums, IGN forums and comment sections at Eurogamer.net..for example) use Xbone and PSBore, and Xbot, and PSbot, and Xboned, and PSPoo, etc. as intentionally trying to troll the thin skinned.

It's funny that you say you were not aware that you should be using those terms, and in the same breath intentionally used those terms. You are not fooling anyone. Say what you will, but we all know what you were doing.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SecretPolice

@SolidTy said:
@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:

Could have fooled us.

I could have fooled you two users with a incredibly common typing moniker for the Xbone?

I didn't name it the Xbone (short for Xbox One...XbOne), nor do I control what millions call the machine after the Xbox execs settled on that silly name...but I can see some are thin skinned when people aren't even trying. To try just at tiny bit looks like this:

But I guess I could say I was tired with getting Boned by Xbox, when I screamed at the Kinect that "no means no" to the Xbox None, but now I feel it's Xbox Done! (Didn't even used Xboned/Xboner?!)

Same goes for PSPoo, which is PSBoring, when I posted to the PSPoor fans, etc.

Seem more than usual today mah friend....

You a plain or iodized kinda guy? lol :P

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kvally

@AzatiS said:

8TFLOPS are not enough to have a great , diverse , exclusive library.

Indeed. Nor is 4.2 TFLOPS.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

PS4 Pro: The 4K gaming machine that does absolutely nothing in 4K

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:

^

@SolidTy said:

@SecretPolice:I wasn't aware I was supposed to make up nicknames for the machines I own like Xbox None, PSPoo, Xboned, PSbore, The Bone etc.

Could have fooled us.

lol Gave me a genuine chuckle this morning.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

"You and I both know there will be people who claim with absolute certainty that the difference between 1080p and 900p is the most significant thing, and anybody who claims otherwise is blind,"

I swear it seems Microsoft has spent the past 3 years in System Wars and Neo Gaf. How Sony let this while thing get turned around on them is beyond me. I'm currently at 70% "getting it" for the PS4 Pro because of it's improvements for PSVR. But for streaming 4K it doesn't even make sense because every 4K HDR set has the apps to stream in 4K HDR built in. I guess the tipping point will be its improvements of current and future games.

Who am I kidding? Day 1

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SolidTy

kvally: Yes, we all know what you are and have been doing, lol.

Xbone isn't even in the same class as "PSBore" or "WiiWii Ew" which the latter actually requires adding in words and misspelling, not even an abbreviation. "Xbox None" and "Xbox Done" is comparable though as it relies on the same technique of adding in completely unrelated words.

Tootles! :P

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kvally

@SolidTy said:
@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:

Could have fooled us.

The Xbone Scorpio is due in over a year and should be quite exciting talking every week about it in the meantime! I know my Xbone games currently seem to look better just by reading this excellent PR for a vapor project a year+ away, all posted from an incredibly wealthy executive (all companies pimp their products, even PSAmore and Nintendon't execs).

And the PSbore is due in just over a month and I (and thousands of others) are very excited about it. Same goes with the release of Scorpio next year. Even though my PSbore is sitting idle for most of 2016, I have no doubt that when we finally get some games for it in 2017, my PSPoo will be working overtime with Horizon and Gran Turismo Sport.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kvally

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:

^

@SolidTy said:

Could have fooled us.

It makes for a great hump day, don't it? :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-583e460ca986b
@SolidTy said:

@kvally: Yes, we all know what you are and have been doing, lol.

Xbone isn't even in the same class as "PSBore" or "WiiWii Ew" which the latter actually requires adding in words and misspelling, not even an abbreviation. "Xbox None" and "Xbox Done" is comparable though as it relies on the same technique of adding in completely unrelated words.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

Great tread. It appears a few execs are finally starting to talk smack to Sony. Good, I was getting tired of the nice guy role and hearing Sony's shit talk to cover their weaknesses.

Since the Scorpio is not out yet the only thing it can is scare cows and ponies. Mission accomplished.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kvally

@GoldenElementXL said:
@SolidTy said:

@kvally: Yes, we all know what you are and have been doing, lol.

LOL! Love that gif!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice

@kvally said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:

^

@SolidTy said:

Could have fooled us.

Makes me happier than camel with two humps on hump day. :P

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy
*yawn*
*yawn*

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Feel better now?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

Gee, like we didn't know that for months. I'm getting tired of this PR talk. I want to see less talk, and more of the actual working product. If they even have a finished one lying around in a R and D facility. Instead of a possible recent effort to beat out the leaked Pro specs. And to know the actual price MS is aiming for.

I personally think anything north of $400, is going to have a tough time selling in the long term. A nice chunk of console sales have never gone to core gamers, but presents for kids. Who have parents and relatives that have always been price conscious. Which is why the PS3 fell behind early on.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Feel better now?

There is still time for Sony to cancel the Pro and match Scorpio's specs.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice

@jak42 said:

Gee, like we didn't know that for months. I'm getting tired of this PR talk. I want to see less talk, and more of the actual working product. If they even have a finished one lying around in a R&D facility. Instead of a possible recent effort to beat out the leaked Pro specs. And the actual price MS is aiming for.

I personally think anything north of $400, is going to have a tough time selling in the long term. A nice chunk of console sales have never gone to core gamers, but presents for kids. Who have parents and relatives that have always been price conscious. Which is why the PS3 fell behind early on.

The beauty is that there has never, ever, evah been a gen like this. MS can be way north of 4 bills for Scorpio a premium product since they have the economy class X1s. I'd figure X1s will be at about a $199.99 console by the time Scorpio launches. Seems either way, MS has the gamers covered. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

You didn't read the article, did you?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Several games were running natively in 4k at the PS4 Pro event. Maybe he should fix the XBone UI and shut the everliving hell up about the Playstation.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kvally

@SecretPolice said:
@kvally said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@kvally said:
@SolidTy said:

^

@SolidTy said:

Could have fooled us.

And here I thought you were going to go with camel TOE on hump day :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@Shewgenja said:

Several games were running natively in 4k at the PS4 Pro event. Maybe he should fix the XBone UI and shut the everliving hell up about the Playstation.

2 = several now? The Last of Us Remasered and Elder Scrolls Online are the only ones they showed that WILL be native. TLOUR wasn't native 4k at the show btw... Source

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SecretPolice

@kvally said:
@SecretPolice said:
@kvally said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:
@kvally said:

^

Could have fooled us.

And here I thought you were going to go with camel TOE on hump day :)

lololol :P

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jak42

@SecretPolice: And how exactly is the X1S gonna drop by $100 dollars in a year without taking a notable loss. When its still $300, and MS decided to increase manufacturing costs by adding a 4k blu ray drive. Those drives aren't cheap.

Its easy to say now MS can be north of $400 for Scorpio. But in the event excessive scorpio stock is sitting around in shelves and warehouses. Investors will be angry, adding to other MS related frustrations (late to smartphone market). MS stocks will drop. And it won't do good to their bottom line to have a console that was a multi-million dollar investment. Not getting a return in a sufficient matter. If scorpio ever does recuperate the R and D costs. As it still has the potential to be a flop, or vastly undersell corporate expectations.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@SecretPolice: To be honest, I just think MS is getting carried away with this whole 4K now. MS should just focus on Scorpio maintaining 60fps only for all there games to be run on Xbox Scorpio in my opinion, not chasing 4K, leave that shit on PC if anyone wants 4K gaming. But in any case, I just want MS to make good games that peeks my interest.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@kvally: @SecretPolice:OK back on topic

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice

@jak42:

Trust the SP, he knows these things. Also, MS has more business sense then you and every SW poster so I wouldn't worry about their inventory and such things, they like the SP knows these things. lol :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SecretPolice

@davillain-:

I can agree with that. Give me 1080P 60fps or better with loads & loads of assets 100% of the time and I'll be a happy camper..erm, gamer. :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@kvally: @SecretPolice:OK back on topic

I can work with that.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@FastRobby said:
@Juub1990 said:

You didn't read the article, did you?

Its SW, we just need a slanted synopsis TLDR version and we're good to go for pages!

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jak42

@SecretPolice: Sure they do. That's why they dropped the Kinect and practically pretend it doesn't exist anyone. That it was a core essential feature of the X1. And they would never sell an X1 without a Kinect.

Tell me, how well is the Windows phones selling. That we live in a world where the mobile market isn't dominated by Google and Apple. And only high paying executives, can see and eliminate any flaws in the products they're trying to get people like me to buy. Cause as the Wii, Gameboy, and other gaming platforms have shown us. Specs don't determine the winner.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SecretPolice

@jak42:

Whatever, tell me how's MS's stock prices these days? There ya go, proof in the pudding... puddin... . lol :P

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kvally

@jak42 said:

@SecretPolice: Sure they do. That's why they dropped the Kinect and practically pretend it doesn't exist anyone. That it was a core essential feature of the X1. And they would never sell an X1 without a Kinect.

Tell me, how well is the Windows phones selling. That we live in a world where the mobile market isn't dominated by Google and Apple. And only high paying executives, can see and eliminate any flaws in the products they're trying to get people like me to buy. Cause as the Wii, Gameboy, and other gaming platforms have shown us. Specs don't determine the winner.

Windows phones are garbage. Windows is garbage. Zune is garbage. Pretty much everything MS does is garbage with the exception of Xbox and their keyboard/mice. Even their keyboard/mice are not as nice as Logitech and others these days.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Feel better now?

There is still time for Sony to cancel the Pro and match Scorpio's specs.

I'm really not concern with the specs of either, and will more than likely get both if the price is right. I'm more concerned with games right now, the PS4 line up is stacked in 2017 due to all the freaking delays.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50536 Posts

Not that he's wrong, because he probably isnt. But isn't the dude who was lying about x1? Maybe I'm mistaking.

Anywho, x1 is more powerful obviously (using the numbers they gave us, although concrete would be appreciated ). Better be, it's releasing a year later!

FrozenFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FrozenFire
Member since 2016 • 43 Posts

@Juub1990: It does in this instance when you have all the fanboys who don't know what 6 teraflops is or what it means. They're counting on the fact that people who don't know jack about how hardware works will take their word that because the Scorpio has X amount of this, it can do Y amount of that. That's why they constantly shout that number whenever they say anything about the Scorpio or the PSPro, and also big numbers help sell things.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Meltdowns happening in another Scorpio thread.

Shocked!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

this is great and all but where the hell is our Forza Horizon 3 thread ??

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SecretPolice

@acp_45:

Sticky.