Microsoft Exec on PC and XBox One Cross Platform Play

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/10/14/cross-platform-play-between-pc-and-xbox-one-makes-a-lot-of-sense-says-microsoft-exec/

"However, a recent interview between Microsoft and AusGamers reveals that Corporate Vice President of Microsoft Studios Phil Spencer is open to the idea of cross platform play between the Xbox One and PCs."

"Spencer pointed to 2007’s Shadowrun, an online FPS that featured cross-platform play between the Xbox 360 and PC. Spencer admits that the cross-platform experiment didn’t go very well, but that he learned a lot from the experience. Those problems aside, Spencer said he’s confident that playing games across different platforms through cloud saves is the future of gaming."

"I think cross-platform play has a future on single-player or co-op games, where you don’t have to take competitive advantage into account."

"Mouse and keyboard controls will always be more accurate than a joystick, and it’s never fun to lose when the other team is on a different playing field."

So what's your take on platform play between the PC and Xbox One System Wars? Personally I think any attempts they make again will fail as the competitive scene and skill level is higher on the PC gaming side. The average PC gamer would yet again stomp on the best consoler gamers. I don't think it would work because of that alone. Microsoft just admitted it in this interview. Just more proof that m/k > controller.

Anyway, what's your take on all this?

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Would play co-op games with my Xbros if I could

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rage010101

@treedoor said:

You know, I would agree for coop purposes, cross platform play would be very fun. For competitive multiplayer, it would be a disaster as has been proven.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

I definitely see more of a future for the Co-Op side of games for the cross-platforming. I think it would open up the community a bit and bring a bit more variety. I would just hope that screaming pre-teens would not become a part of that.

Competitive? No way. As the study said, the PC players were far too accurate for the console players to really be something worth people's while. Maybe if the technology of the Steam controller were to take off, then we could see that gap close.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 soolkiki

@treedoor: Yeah, I have a some buddies I would love to Coop with on the Xbox. They prefer Console, so that would be awesome if something like this were introduced.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@treedoor said:

You know, I would agree for coop purposes, cross platform play would be very fun. For competitive multiplayer, it would be a disaster as has been proven.

Well, that IS exactly what the article says.

"I think cross-platform play has a future on single-player or co-op games, where you don’t have to take competitive advantage into account."

"Mouse and keyboard controls will always be more accurate than a joystick, and it’s never fun to lose when the other team is on a different playing field."

All I know is I have a friend who has Dead Island on his 360, and I have it on my PC, and yeah....... Can't play with each other :(

But if we could that'd be heaven

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

The average PC gamer would NOT stomp the best console players and this is coming from someone who now only games on PC but has experienced console FPS at the highest level.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

I agree, Cross-platform play is the future for Co-op gaming. I already do that with several games with the VITA & Ps3.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rage010101

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

The average PC gamer would NOT stomp the best console players and this is coming from someone who now only games on PC but has experienced console FPS at the highest level.

Bro where have you been? This is something that has been linked tons of times from many sources time and time again.

Link for proof: http://www.techspot.com/news/39738-microsoft-killed-cross-platform-project-because-pc-gamers-wrecked-console-gamers.html

"The slaughter was so bad, Sood says that Microsoft even pitted "mediocre" PC gamers against "the best" console gamers in testing, and the results were unchanged: the keyboard and mouse prevailed. It's not clear what titles were played, but Unreal and Gears of War are mentioned."

danten81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danten81
Member since 2013 • 328 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Take away the auto-aim and slaughter will commence.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Bro where have you been? This is something that has been linked tons of times from many sources time and time again.

Link for proof: http://www.techspot.com/news/39738-microsoft-killed-cross-platform-project-because-pc-gamers-wrecked-console-gamers.html

"The slaughter was so bad, Sood says that Microsoft even pitted "mediocre" PC gamers against "the best" console gamers in testing, and the results were unchanged: the keyboard and mouse prevailed. It's not clear what titles were played, but Unreal and Gears of War are mentioned."

What's your Quake Live ID? I can prove to you how good people can get using a controller

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rage010101

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

What's your Quake Live ID? I can prove to you how good people can get using a controller

Is that you HeeWee? lol

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@treedoor said:

All I know is I have a friend who has Dead Island on his 360, and I have it on my PC, and yeah....... Can't play with each other :(

But if we could that'd be heaven

:(

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 soolkiki
@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Why are you in such denial? Even if you did do competently, Average Joe wouldn't. What about Co-Op, don't you think that would be fun?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Someone link the Jiggly video with Heewee, I don't have time to search for it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Still not going to prove anything. MS's own testing found that out. The fact remains, for competitive FPS games, a KB/M wielded by an average player will always beat a pro player with a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I hope so. They'll have to sort their patching policies out though else it'll never catch on, it's the reason why many games don't do it on playstation. The PC version would be held back as patches would have to wait until their console counterpart gets through certification.

sebbi11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sebbi11
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

You must be joking, even my grandma is doing ok with a mouse. Easiest way to aim, impossible to beat.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

We know this, consoles are limited gaming machines and not meant for the competative environment.

The only type of crossplatform play that console children can handle is Coop.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts
@GarGx1 said:

LOL

That was funny. At least he posted after it unlike others that disappear for a couple of days. :P

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rage010101

@GarGx1 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

I actually have them in my fav's just because the whole thing was hilarious

http://youtu.be/wJN1VvfHO4M

http://youtu.be/DF5hqdc510g

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

They tried that already with Shadowrun, they failed.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XxR3m1xInHDn3D

@soolkiki said:
@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

Why are you in such denial? Even if you did do competently, Average Joe wouldn't. What about Co-Op, don't you think that would be fun?

The article stated that the BEST console players got slaughtered against the average PC user and that is 100% bs. I have played the average PC player on Quake Live while using my 360 pad and they got destroyed. I'm not saying that the best console players could match the best PC as it's just an undeniable fact that the KB+M is superior to a controller with FPS but people just assume that it's impossible for someone to do well with a controller simply because it takes more skill than KB+M. I have been playing online console FPS since the Dreamcast and I still play Quake Arena Arcade with no auto aim and the playerbase for that are insanely skilled and I'm not even close to being as good as them.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

The idea he put forward of carrying saves between platforms is a good one

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib

@Rage010101 said:

@GarGx1 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

probably my favorite thing to come out of system wars

SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

What's the point? PC games would murder console gamers.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rage010101

@lostrib said:

@Rage010101 said:

@GarGx1 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

probably my favorite thing to come out of system wars

When I think about it, probably mine too

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts

Pass, this feature is asking for trouble considering microsoft windows.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rage010101

@CJ_ofCamelot said:

Now that they're dropping GFWL, maybe they might be considering actually listening to what gamers want now. But I know that might just be wishful thinking. It's be cool if they could work on the coop experience. If Valve's/Steam's controller can give controller users an edge in the competitive scene, maybe the project could be more successful in the future. Would be very cool if it becomes a reality. I just hope some of us are not walking with canes or in our graves by then.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

I disagree. Analog stick aiming is far too slow in comparison to using a mouse, and analogs aren't nearly as accurate...

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@GarGx1 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

@Rage010101 said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

lol, nice.. I was supposed to have a similar battle in R6:V2 with some guy from SW trying to say that analogs were better, but he got scared and quit posting...

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

I can see it working for Co-Op, but for conpetitive mp is going to be a bloodbath for consol gamers, of course they can always even things somehow by give console games autoaim, more health/armour, more damage, etc

razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

no thanks, I would rather not play stuck up hermits. No Way.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rage010101

@razu2444 said:

no thanks, I would rather not play stuck up hermits. No Way.

Can you please elaborate on why you think hermits are stuck up?

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

So what's your take on platform play between the PC and Xbox One System Wars? Personally I think any attempts they make again will fail as the competitive scene and skill level is higher on the PC gaming side. The average PC gamer would yet again stomp on the best consoler gamers. I don't think it would work because of that alone. Microsoft just admitted it in this interview. Just more proof that m/k > controller.

I beg to disagree, it requires more skill to play fps games with controller than with kb/mouse, that makes console gamers more skilled imo.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@soolkiki said:

@treedoor: Yeah, I have a some buddies I would love to Coop with on the Xbox. They prefer Console, so that would be awesome if something like this were introduced.

The PS4 support it,Warframe has cross platform play with PC i think other games to.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@superclocked said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

I disagree. Analog stick aiming is far too slow in comparison to using a mouse, and analogs aren't nearly as accurate...

That was pre-COD i have seen player pull kill using controllers on COD that i have never see a PC gamer do,i think it was more the experience than the controller,i use to play better with KB mouse combo now i play better with the controller,i think console gamers are way more experience now with a controller than they were 8 10 years ago,

Now FPS are the norm on console just like it has been on PC.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rage010101

@tormentos said:

@superclocked said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

That was pre-COD i have seen player pull kill using controllers on COD<---------------- that i have never see a PC gamer do,i think it was more the experience than the controller,i use to play better with KB mouse combo now i play better with the controller,i think console gamers are way more experience now with a controller than they were 8 10 years ago,

And thats when you lost all credibility

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rage010101

@aroxx_ab:

@aroxx_ab said:

@Rage010101 said:

I beg to disagree, it requires more skill to play fps games with controller than with kb/mouse, that makes console gamers more skilled imo.

It requires more skill to play an RTS with a driving wheel, that makes driving wheel gamers more skilled imo.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Certain games would be cool, like MMO's, but competitive FPS games would not be fun for xboners.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@CJ_ofCamelot said:

I agree with this. The further away PC platform is from the XBOX brand the better.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clyde46

@aroxx_ab said:

@Rage010101 said:

Shame they got slaughtered by a shumck with a KB/M.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lostrib

@tormentos said:

@superclocked said:

@XxR3m1xInHDn3D said:

That was pre-COD i have seen player pull kill using controllers on COD that i have never see a PC gamer do,i think it was more the experience than the controller,i use to play better with KB mouse combo now i play better with the controller,i think console gamers are way more experience now with a controller than they were 8 10 years ago,

That doesn't mean they will stand up to KB/M players, especially if you turn off the auto aim.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

All they have to do on the bone is allow kb/m and instantly you will have a competitive console.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46

@jer_1 said:

All they have to do on the bone is allow kb/m and instantly you will have a competitive console.

Why though? Might as well have a PC.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

@clyde46: I remember when I built myself a XIM and used to troll COD players on my PS3. Those were some fun times.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@aroxx_ab:

@aroxx_ab said:

@Rage010101 said:

It requires more skill to play an RTS with a driving wheel, that makes driving wheel gamers more skilled imo.

LMAO owned

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@jer_1: Competitive? With 30fps? :D :D :D

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rage010101

@jer_1:

@jer_1 said:

Honestly, I'm sure they could add m/k support if they really wanted to. I personally believe they don't because they would indirectly be introducing console gamers to pc gaming this way (As far as the standard gaming input for PC that is), and they don't want to promote the competition. Imagine if they did add native m/k support for every console game without a 3rd party device/software like the XIM. Some console gamers would convert to PC gaming. In a perfect world, they would at least give you the option to choose controller or m/k on a console.

But in the end it's just like you said; if they allowed m/k support, it would open the doors for console gamers to be competitive against pc gamers for a change. That would truly make cross platform play in the competitive scene a reality, or at least help getting there. It's a shame that they dont at least give console gamers the choice to pick their preferred input. Honestly, if m/k support was added for all/most games, I would get a next gen console. Sadly, we know that is not the case. But heck, it would also introduce genres to the consoles. They would now be able to play genres like MOBA's, RTS, MMO's, Strategy, etc. If only... if only...

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rage010101

@Jankarcop said:

@Rage010101 said:

@aroxx_ab:

@aroxx_ab said:

@Rage010101 said:

LMAO owned

I'm masters league rank in Starcraft 2. I use a driving wheel to play Starcraft 2, so that makes me more skilled than professionals like Huk and MarineKingPrime!!!! :P