NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Microsoft has announced DirectX Raytracing (DXR), a major new feature addition to DirectX 12. This API will offer hardware accelerated ray tracing to DirectX applications.

Demo video:

What is DirectX Raytracing?

At the highest level, DirectX Raytracing (DXR) introduces four, new concepts to the DirectX 12 API:

1. The acceleration structure is an object that represents a full 3D environment in a format optimal for traversal by the GPU. Represented as a two-level hierarchy, the structure affords both optimized ray traversal by the GPU, as well as efficient modification by the application for dynamic objects.
  2. A new command list method, DispatchRays, which is the starting point for tracing rays into the scene. This is how the game actually submits DXR workloads to the GPU.
  3. A set of new HLSL shader types including ray-generation, closest-hit, any-hit, and miss shaders. These specify what the DXR workload actually does computationally. When DispatchRays is called, the ray-generation shader runs. Using the new TraceRay intrinsic function in HLSL, the ray generation shader causes rays to be traced into the scene. Depending on where the ray goes in the scene, one of several hit or miss shaders may be invoked at the point of intersection. This allows a game to assign each object its own set of shaders and textures, resulting in a unique material.
  4. The raytracing pipeline state, a companion in spirit to today’s Graphics and Compute pipeline state objects, encapsulates the raytracing shaders and other state relevant to raytracing workloads.

You may have noticed that DXR does not introduce a new GPU engine to go alongside DX12’s existing Graphics and Compute engines. This is intentional – DXR workloads can be run on either of DX12’s existing engines. The primary reason for this is that, fundamentally, DXR is a compute-like workload. It does not require complex state such as output merger blend modes or input assembler vertex layouts. A secondary reason, however, is that representing DXR as a compute-like workload is aligned to what we see as the future of graphics, namely that hardware will be increasingly general-purpose, and eventually most fixed-function units will be replaced by HLSL code. The design of the raytracing pipeline state exemplifies this shift through its name and design in the API. With DX12, the traditional approach would have been to create a new CreateRaytracingPipelineState method. Instead, we decided to go with a much more generic and flexible CreateStateObject method. It is designed to be adaptable so that in addition to Raytracing, it can eventually be used to create Graphics and Compute pipeline states, as well as any future pipeline designs.

Source: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/directx/2018/03/19/announcing-microsoft-directx-raytracing/

VendorSupport
AMDIndeterminate
NVIDIA VoltaHardware + Software (RTX)
NVIDIA Pre-VoltaSoftware

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12547/expanding-directx-12-microsoft-announces-directx-raytracing

The Tensor cores in a Volta card, like the TITAN V, are what allow for the hardware support. Tensor cores are normally used for deep learning applications, as such they have not appeared in Pascal cards. The potential for Tensor cores to be used for ray tracing has been known, but this might be the first mainstream application.

Additional demo of NVIDIA's RTX technology with DXR running on a Volta card:

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NVIDIATI

UPDATE - Additional information from NVIDIA's RTX Technology announcement:

In conjunction with Microsoft’s new DirectX Raytracing (DXR) API announcement, today NVIDIA is unveiling their RTX technology, providing ray tracing acceleration for Volta and later GPUs. Intended to enable real-time ray tracing for games and other applications, RTX is essentially NVIDIA's DXR backend implementation. For this NVIDIA is utilizing a mix of software and hardware – including new microarchitectural features – though the company is not disclosing further details. Alongside RTX, NVIDIA is also announcing their new GameWorks ray tracing tools, currently in early access to select development partners.

With NVIDIA working with Microsoft, RTX is fully supported by DXR, meaning that all RTX functionality is exposed through the API. And while only Volta and newer architectures have the specific hardware features required for hardware acceleration of DXR/RTX, DXR's compatibility mode means that a DirectCompute path will be available for non-Volta hardware. Beyond Microsoft, a number of developers and game engines are supporting RTX, with DXR and RTX tech demos at GDC 2018.

Credit Anandtech

Source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12546/nvidia-unveils-rtx-technology-real-time-ray-tracing-acceleration-for-volta-gpus-and-later

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

something about that video and its choppy look tells me it wasnt at a consistent frame rate.....

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

So it's finally here... hmmm...

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

after spending my last year developing a real time ray tracing engine on vulkan... this happens ;alsdfajsgjagl. Hopefully the Khronos group does something similar soon.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

Raytraced graphics pipeline + Denoising via neural nets + Foveated Rendering in VR = Photorealistic VR games sooner than people think. Ray-tracing is going to be a big step forward for all forms of real time graphics, and VR is going to reap the benefits ten-fold.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

we have been for sometime now in an era of gaming in which the game play itself is what needs the most work, not the graphics

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

Sounds cool. Hope it can get implemented without major GPU strain.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Too bad DX12 sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Is this the cloud or what?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NVIDIATI

@ProtossRushX said:

Is this the cloud or what?

No, this is running on a Volta GPU.

airraidjet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 airraidjet
Member since 2006 • 834 Posts

Xbox Two

Xbox Two X

Xbox Three

Xbox Three X

Xbox Four

Xbox...you get the picture :)

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

Man MS bullshit more than Sony use too....but even then, sony actually used parts of it's tech.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17794 Posts

I want to see this in a AAA game and see what the performance is like. Raytracing in real time is a GPU killer and I am curious to see what optimizations they have going on and what the fidelity is like. This shit is just too demanding to do in real-time without cutting corners and compromises.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Real time ray-tracing with severe limitation that is...Current hardware not really ready for full real time true photorealism ray-tracing!!!

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

I wonder how long it'll take for us to see this commonly in games. I'm assuming at least 5 years.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NVIDIATI
@BassMan said:

I want to see this in a AAA game and see what the performance is like. Raytracing in real time is a GPU killer and I am curious to see what optimizations they have going on and what the fidelity is like. This shit is just too demanding to do in real-time without cutting corners and compromises.

For ray tracing, they're utilizing the Tensor cores on a Volta GPU. The TITAN V, for example, has 640 Tensor cores that offer 110 TFLOPS of performance. The card's 5120 CUDA cores output ~15 TFLOPS at single precision and ~30 TFLOPS at half precision. This is why pre-Volta cards are unable to offer support at the hardware level.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blueberry_Bandit

@BassMan said:

You actually can cut some corners.

As mentioned, Tensor cores will be utilized.

But you can also use a neural network to reduce the noise of the image, cutting down on the amount of rays needed.

You can also use foveated rendering, although this one is exclusive to VR. This is where you only pay the cost of expensive rays in the fovea region.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I think that even the Titan V won't be able to render dynamic scenes with tons of objects moving around in G.I. real time. Just like how tessalation is rendered only to a certain radius infront of you, I don't think the draw distance of Global Illumination is even remotely possible in big scale games. Though the possibility is now here and that's impressive, I won't expect this tech to be applied for another 8 years or so. But what do I know, it's freaking christmas every day when it comes to the advances in tech. For all we know we are doing the robots bidding tomorrow. Supercomputers are out there.

DrSerigala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrSerigala
Member since 2018 • 208 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

I wonder how long it'll take for us to see this commonly in games. I'm assuming at least 5 years.

I dont think that long, maybe next years we already see some AAA title with "Nvidia Gamework - Real Tray" on it, after they release new card this year

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69358 Posts

Very cool tech.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

There's a good reason games don't use ray tracing, it will tank the performance hard.

I'm pretty sure this is not even new, I'm sure I've seen real time ray tracing demos for Radeon cards, but it's pointless unless you have stupidly powerful hardware that does not yet exist.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Blueberry_Bandit

@ten_pints said:

There's a good reason games don't use ray tracing, it will tank the performance hard.

I'm pretty sure this is not even new, I'm sure I've seen real time ray tracing demos for Radeon cards, but it's pointless unless you have stupidly powerful hardware that does not yet exist.

The idea is to use the standard rasterization graphics pipeline with raytracing for global illumination and such.

However, fully raytraced games are not that far off anyway, especially with VR.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

this is still quite a ways off. the AO alone takes 5ms on a next gen volta gpu with only 1 ray per pixel @ 1080p

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Just a PoC at this point but it's good to know that one day it will be possible.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@BassMan said:

Perfect for nvidia to brute force it in all games to make people upgrade there gpu's again.

I can already see the contracts going for games, include it or no nvidia support.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

https://twitter.com/4AGames/status/976164791260798979?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23976164791260798979

Metro to use RTX

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Can’t wait to see Aaron Greenberg tweet about how much extra sauce this will give the xbone. Then backtrack once people start questioning it

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@tryit said:

we have been for sometime now in an era of gaming in which the game play itself is what needs the most work, not the graphics

1000x this.