Microsoft cuts funding on Xbox division. Insider source.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Ouch.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Ruh Roh

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

I didnt think it was possible to fund even less games but MS is always up for the challenge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

makes sense

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

So, I said a few months ago that, in the unlikely event that one of the big 3 is forced to drop out, MS was the most likely one. People acted like I was crazy.

Now what do you think?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Microsoft handled this gen completely wrong and now they don't want to do what's necessary to reverse it (fund new projects, open new studios).

Guess Xbox One is my last Xbox.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Look, insiders matter again......................

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Gaming consoles are an investment heavy business, you have to be willing to take a financial hit (like Sony with PS3 and Nintendo with Wii U), weather the storm and invest, if you want to have a turnaround (PS3->PS4, Wii U->Switch). I understand Microsoft is a business, but this is not the answer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@techhog89 said:

So, I said a few months ago that, in the unlikely event that one of the big 3 is forced to drop out, MS was the most likely one. People acted like I was crazy.

Now what do you think?

That you're still crazy... They went from "do whatever you want" to "you've got a budget". That doesn't mean they are out of the game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

Same insider souses as the New York Slimes, CNN (Communist News Network) and PMS-NBC, I'm guessing... lol

Fake news, all day every day these dayzzzzz. :P

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

It's obvious too. I don't see as many commercials as years past. Now let's wait for an xbox fanboy to say the contrary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@FastRobby said:
@techhog89 said:

Now what do you think?

That you're still crazy... They went from "do whatever you want" to "you've got a budget". That doesn't mean they are out of the game.

They never were 'do whatever you want', they always had a budget, said budget has been downsized.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I guess insiders won't matter anymore.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Just like cows wouldn't believe the other insider information about the Xbox One X selling well? Who do you believe anymore? I always hate insider information because you never know if it is the truth anymore. People will say the craziest shit on the Internet to get hits or to get traffic. Why believe any of it until you have factual information to back it up.

And yes this goes for the insider information about Microsoft also! I don't believe any of it until their is actual proof of it.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zero_epyon

@Xabiss said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Just like cows wouldn't believe the other insider information about the Xbox One X selling well? Who do you believe anymore? I always hate insider information because you never know if it is the truth anymore. People will say the craziest shit on the Internet to get hits or to get traffic. Why believe any of it until you have factual information to back it up.

Yup. Both sides do it, I'm not going to deny that. But this particular insider is legit.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Good, let's go back to Sony/Nintendo/Sega.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xabiss

@Zero_epyon said:
@Xabiss said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Yup. Both sides do it, I'm not going to deny that. But this particular insider is legit.

Only legit when it fits your narrative. Not saying it isn't true, but I like actual evidence of the truth anymore. To many times this information also comes up to be false. So I will never believe so called insider information anymore, it has burnt me in the past.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I would actually welcome the end of the xBox IF this means they focus more on PC. MS doies seem to care more about PCs, the recent AoE4 is proof of that. I can see MS truning their xBox brands into something like a SteamBox Alternative based on Windows instead of Steam OS. I'm also sure its place would be taken by another company. Maybe Atari who's comming back? Or someone new? Can you imagine Apple, Google or Samsung putting out a console?

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xabiss

@Random_Matt said:

NOW I WOULD LOVE FOR SEGA TO COME BACK!!!!! Oh man now that is a company I am total fanboy for. I have always loved their hardware!

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ant_17

@Xabiss said:
@Random_Matt said:

NOW I WOULD LOVE FOR SEGA TO COME BACK!!!!! Oh man now that is a company I am total fanboy for. I have always loved their hardware!

Explains why you're a lem. Still salty Sony killed the Dreamcast.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@Xabiss said:
@Random_Matt said:

Sega killed themselves.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Where is nyadc or ron when you need em?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It was obvious with the lack of 3rd party deals, lack of advertising and lack of AAA exclusives that they don't have shit to spend anymore.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ant_17

@Random_Matt said:
@Ant_17 said:
@Xabiss said:
@Random_Matt said:

Sega killed themselves.

Yeah, but hardcore fanboys don't want to admit that, so they blame either Nintendo or Sony.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Seems about right

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Zero_epyon

@Xabiss said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@Xabiss said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Only legit when it fits your narrative. Not saying it isn't true, but I like actual evidence of the truth anymore. To many times this information also comes up to be false. So I will never believe so called insider information anymore, it has burnt me in the past.

Not really. I've always trusted Zhuge when it came to sales and financial info.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Xabiss

@Ant_17 said:
@Xabiss said:
@Random_Matt said:

ROFL... Then why do I own a PS4 Pro (which I play more then any other system right now) and a Switch? ROFLMAO I am a Lem ROFLMAO! I am a gamer and love all the systems. I am more of a believer that Sega killed Sega. They took way to many chances and made some bad bad decisions that did not work out for them. Sony didn't help, but if they would of played it smarter they would still be around today I think (hardware wise).

Better to be a gamer, then a fanboy!

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

I sense a disturbance in the force, as if millions of lemmings suddenly cried out and had to find another piece of plastic to worship.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

That's a pretty broad statement there. It sounds more like they are reorganizing their management of how they approve titles. This is probably a response to so many games going belly up in development.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Same insider souses as the New York Slimes, CNN (Communist News Network) and PMS-NBC, I'm guessing... lol

I'm sure you want to just dismiss everything with that stupid phrase but really it's not gonna happen. Fake news is now a meme, a mockery of how dumb a phrase it is and always has been. We all knows it doesn't really mean the news is not true, it just means you want to dismiss it without any real thoughtful criticism or analysis.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

That sounds about right. The big 3 always takes a hit when it comes to console sales and consoles sales is hard business.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

I have a feeling this has been a case for a while now. The division really blew their goodwill with the company on the launch with things like a $500 million dollar licensed NFL fantasy football app, something like that could have funded lots of third party exclusives. Same could be said for the $2 billion acquisition for Minecraft and its developer, that kind of money could have produced an onslaught of exclusives for its platform, and though it's arguable that the acquisition is profitable, it didn't bring about any exclusive to their platform, and again, took from resources that could have provided that to them. Curious though if this is supposed to be a new revelation or not.

I can definitely see the company worried right now since XB1 sales are down, but I suspect much of this latest drop mostly has to do with the XB1X wait. Same thing happened to Sony last year, we saw a drop in sales in anticipation of the Pro. Didn't seem to matter that now the Pro only accounts for 1/5 of total PS4 sales, I think people want to wait and see and weigh their options.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SecretPolice

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:

I'm sure you want to just dismiss everything with that stupid phrase but really it's not gonna happen. Fake news is now a meme, a mockery of how dumb a phrase it is and always has been. We all knows it doesn't really mean the news is not true, it just means you want to dismiss it without any real thoughtful criticism or analysis.

Nope, those I've mentioned and most others have been pretty fake for decades but lately went full on fake news. CNN just recently when busted for poor sources and setting up the false narratives once again needed to fire four high level reporters for precisely Fake news. If you're getting your news from the alphabet news and OMG, Comedy Central's Daily Show or late night comedians or Hollywood, you are indeed getting fake news. :P

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@SecretPolice said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@SecretPolice said:

Nope, those I've mentioned and most others have been pretty fake for decades but lately went full on fake news. CNN just recently when busted for poor sources and setting up the false narratives once again needed to fire four high level reporters for precisely Fake news. If you're getting your news from the alphabet news and OMG, Comedy Central's Daily Show or late night comedians or Hollywood, you are indeed getting fake news. :P

I would try to appeal to your logic and intelligence but I know better than to try to unbrainwash religious fanatics.

One mistake, does not make them all mistakes. One untruth does not make it all untrue.

The irony is the man who popularized that phrase...is the biggest liar of them all.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@SecretPolice said:

Nope, those I've mentioned and most others have been pretty fake for decades but lately went full on fake news.

So, the insanity of System Wars fanboys actually directly led to the nihilist reality deniers that elected Trump? That makes... far too much sense, actually.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Look, insiders matter again......................

The difference is who the insider is and his track record...lol

Daniel area is sales and things related to that...

In the case of xbox one X supposed great presales not even MS claim that and the pass record of the leaker is shaky.

He alone for the XBO X miss 2 big ones.

This make total sense as to why MS has been holding payments for developers such as Platinum games and even Phantom Dusk developer as well,also explain why xbox one games landed on PC and why the rumors are that the xbox division is not really profitable.

@Xabiss said:

And yes this goes for the insider information about Microsoft also! I don't believe any of it until their is actual proof of it.

See here you are damage controlling bad xbox news again,but you are not a lemming right..lol

The news about the xbox one X selling well come from a shaky source that already has fail 2 xbox one x news he reported $399 price and Jaguar not been the CPU.

Daniel is a much thrust worthy source and this also would also explain scalebound,fable,phantom dust been cancel,and the rumors about MS withholding payment to those developers.

@Xabiss said:

No daniel is legit and he is an insider of busyness,he is the one who use to leak NPD's as well.

The guy claiming the xbox one X is selling well already miss 2 xbox one X predictions,also it is worth noticing that not even MS has claim that the consoles is selling well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@charizard1605 said:
@FastRobby said:

They never were 'do whatever you want', they always had a budget, said budget has been downsized.

Obviously, but like the guy said they had a blank check, so practically the budget they wanted to make it a success. That the budget has been downsized is not an issue necessarily

No_bo_dy_83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By No_bo_dy_83
Member since 2017 • 142 Posts

analyst

https://aotf.com/news/microsoft-will-spin-off-sell-xbox-division-2015-says-analyst/

3 years ago

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SecretPolice

@locopatho: @Bread_or_Decide:

The leftist indoctrination K-12 plus four or more years of university taught Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals sure has rekt lol any critical thinking skill. What a shame...

Just a reminder and 2020 going to be even more rektage. :P

Anyway, not the forum for this so lets move on.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

I always knew there was a pretty hefty Venn diagram for Trump supporter/Xbox fanboy.

I think they see it as a "buy American" thing.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

This only makes sense in the minds of a Sony fanboy. ( which those thoughts never make sense)

MS is going to spend years in research and development for a new console. Then just as they are launching one of their most hyped events in Xbox history they stop all funding.

This boils down to Sony fans hate Microsoft so much they will create stuff like this to make themselves feel better on the eve of a Xbox One X launch.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide: you mean woman.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

@no_bo_dy_83 said:

analyst

https://aotf.com/news/microsoft-will-spin-off-sell-xbox-division-2015-says-analyst/

3 years ago

Yeah well, anything for the clicks no matter if its true or not.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

When you have large projects like Fable, and Scalebound just up and disappear I'm sure you need some restructuring and focus.

I mean they literally just did some kinda deal with PUBG, got Super Lucky Tail, invested in Cuphead, then the obvious Halo 6, something else from Coalition.

Doom and gloomers. Maybe hold off till after E3 2018 and if there is nothing there then people should be concerned

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@SecretPolice said:

@locopatho: @Bread_or_Decide:

The leftist indoctrination K-12 plus four or more years of university taught Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals sure has rekt lol any critical thinking skill. What a shame...

Just a reminder and 2020 going to be even more rektage. :P

Anyway, not the forum for this so lets move on.

8 years of the republican guy. Followed by 8 years of the democrat guy.

Round and round we go. You could time your watch to it. The democrats thought they owned america after obama won. Now you think the same. And then one day you'll also be surprised when everything switches back.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@SecretPolice said:

Except I'm not American so how exactly am I part of your crazy conspiracy?

"Not the forum" sure but interesting nonetheless, the screaming frothing fanboys of System Wars are very easily seen in the modern reality denying Trumpists.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jv303

If Xbox fades away or gets sold off, it will be Phil Spencer's fault.

We forget that before he was in charge of the entire Xbox division, he was in charge of first party for years.

That means that their horrendous "franchise-based" first party studio model - Turn 10 makes Forza, Coalition makes Gears, 343 makes Halo - was Spencer's doing.

That's why they've died. They don't innovate, they don't do new things. 6-10 years ago, they made bank off Halo, Gears, and Forza... so they did in their heels on the franchises instead of the talent that made them.

Example 1:

Bungie made Halo, they left Microsoft - rumors are - because they wanted to do something besides Halo and MS wouldn't let them.

Now, Destiny's player base DWARFS Halo.

Imagine if Microsoft has let them make Destiny while they were in-house. Imagine if Destiny had been an Xbox exclusive.

Example 2:

Microsoft created Black Tusk, and started building out some new AAA IP. But when Spencer had the opportunity, he grabbed the Gears IP, then gutted whatever Black Tusk was doing (which, for all we know, could have been huge)... and now they just make Gears.

Meanwhile, most of the original people behind Gears - Epic and CliffyB - are all doing other things. They got Rob, but he, too, might be better utilized doing something new.

Summary:

Everyone's moved on except Microsoft.

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jv303

Ironically, the studio that holds the IP they *should* be using is the only first-party studio making something new.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SecretPolice

@locopatho said:
@SecretPolice said:

Except I'm not American so how exactly am I part of your crazy conspiracy?

"Not the forum" sure but interesting nonetheless, the screaming frothing fanboys of System Wars are very easily seen in the modern reality denying Trumpists.

Figures, stay out of our politics and the modern day reality denying comes from the wacko leftist, mostly from outside the US but there's plenty here as well, sadly.

Trumped bay!!! :P