Microsoft confirms self-publishing!!

• 185 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Yep, MS continuing this trend doesn't surprise me.

They must really feel threatened by the competition or something. I'm assuming it has to do with all that positive feedback the competition has been getting in comparison to them; that and all the potential profit they've been losing. Can't imagine MS, or any other company for that matter, would backpedal this much if that weren't the reason otherwise.

omho88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 omho88
Member since 2007 • 3967 Posts
next up, microsoft calls the xbone, ps4.campzor
lol, won't count it out .... PS FOUR :D .
KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#153 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

lovely. it's obvious that the good Microsoft is the only company that has both the gamers and the devs best interest at heart. 

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

microsoft also just had change there boss to julie larson green. Looks like she is off to a good start. This could be big for indies because of the use of the cloud and Kinect. neogaf now loves the xbox one. dont you quote neogaf all the time?

XBOunity

Yeah i am not sure that this will bring in all Indies,after all many had bad blod with MS,like Fez,odd world creator and several others,they know what MS stand for and how bad they were.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
still playing the catching on game? call me when it upgrades from a 7770 :lol:
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

lovely. it's obvious that the good Microsoft is the only company that has both the gamers and the devs best interest at heart. 

KarateeeChop
**inb4 KarateeChop starts saying Sony copied their self-publishing policy from Microsoft** :roll:
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

They really trying to make their console the PS4.  But good for them on this.

XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

microsoft also just had change there boss to julie larson green. Looks like she is off to a good start. This could be big for indies because of the use of the cloud and Kinect. neogaf now loves the xbox one. dont you quote neogaf all the time?

tormentos

Yeah i am not sure that this will bring in all Indies,after all many had bad blod with MS,like Fez,odd world creator and several others,they know what MS stand for and how bad they were.

i would be surprised if they didnt come back, johathan blow who hates the xbox one is now praising it.    and thats why neogaf has been so anti microsoft lately, because a large part of that posting community are indie devs and or associated with the business.    Nonetheless this is big news.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

eh I doubt Sheens will stop talking as though Sony was supporting indies since 2006 and better than MS or that a few choice "Indie" developers will stop bitching about MS.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#160 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

eh I doubt Sheens will stop talking as though Sony was supporting indies since 2006 and better than MS or that a few choice "Indie" developers will stop bitching about MS.

WilliamRLBaker

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts

They really trying to make their console the PS4.  But good for them on this.

Chutebox

No.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="XBOunity"]

tormentos

lol anyone notice how "several others" is used yet only lists two names?...your list is severely lacking when you only name two then fall back on a several other generalization, I mean shit I know of 4 indies that talk shit but still don't think to use such a generalization as to insinuate there is a large amount of pissed indie devs.
Kaz_Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Kaz_Son
Member since 2013 • 1389 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

ReadingRainbow4

:lol:
mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#164 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

This is very good news. I am a VERY big fan of 360's indie games. Miner dig deep is one of the best $1.00 games ever!

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
All they need to do is make playing online free and make the XO's Xbox Gold like the PS3 version of PS+ exposing Sony is doing a 180 to do bad and MS doing a 180 to do good.
dragonbtock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 dragonbtock
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Insecurity about Xbox One is the reason Microsoft has been doing 180s. In other words, Microsoft must truly believe Xbox One cannot compete with the PS4 on price and graphics (Cloud will fail to live up to expectations). Originally, Microsoft thought that Xbox One can easily compete with the PS4 with DRM, lack of Indie support, and a higher price. Not anymore, not after realizing the PS4 is so significantly more powerful and still cheaper. In addition, Microsoft NEEDS Kinect to be bundled with Xbox One. Without Kinect Xbox One's hardware weaknesses will become even more obvious. So folks, don't even dream about Xbox One without Kinect. Thus, all the 180s are proofs that multi-platform games will run and look better on the PS4.
Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Atleast MS are learning their lesson before the console releases, took Sony a coulple of years into the PS3's life to sort out their cock ups.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

It is $40K to publish from Unity3D to xbox 360/PS3 (XBLA, PSN), so no indie developer can actually afford self publishing, unless he is a millionaire "indie"

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

So... what does everyone think of the announcement?

DrRockso87
Seems like Microsoft does nothing but copy everybody else. Nintendo introduced motion controllers, so Microsoft makes kinect (yes Sony did the same thing with the Move, but they are not forcing it down consumers). Sony stated that people could download while you play and Microsoft follwed suit, Sony stated that PS4 could record last 7-15 minutes of gameplay, Microsoft again follows suit but with only last 5 minutes. Sony first stated no restriction with indie developers requiring publisher and yet again Microsoft follows suit again. They only thing they came up with themselves was the DRM policies and 24 hour online connection (we all know how well that went). Seems like their scared to have an independent identity haha
Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

It's a good thing, but comes across as yet another reaction to what others were doing, rather than an initiative of their own.

Whitten told Kotaku in a new interview that devkit functionality will not be available when the Xbox One launches in November. The article

Yep, this is yet another patch over a leaky hull, not anything they had planned to begin with. It is increasingly hard to see Microsoft as anything other than woefully unprepared and desperate, particularly when the guy heading the project leaves the company midstream.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13663 Posts

[QUOTE="lilnazar"]

Xbots going crazy about this, meanwhile it should have been confirmed since the reveal.

NathanDrakeSwag

Lems are getting excited about M$ slowly making a weaker PS4 lol

Well MS were so humbled the PS3 slowly turned into an X360, they thought it was a good will thing.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 ShaineTheNerd
Member since 2012 • 1578 Posts

It is $40K to publish from Unity3D to xbox 360/PS3 (XBLA, PSN), so no indie developer can actually afford self publishing, unless he is a millionaire "indie"

loosingENDS
Link?
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

ShaineTheNerd

Link?

not true, millionaire indie?    come on.   

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#174 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Good to hear. Would have been silly if Microsoft continued to shaft indie devs like that after the 360's indie scene was successful AFAIK.

I do wonder how good the Xbone's indie selection will be compared to it's competition and even the 360 though, after all the negativity that shrowded thee Xbone after its reveal and the fact that Microsoft initially messed around with the indie scene in the first pace. I could see some indie devs maybe staying away from the Xbone even considering this news out of principle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

Microsoft is trying to recreate the PS4, what else is new

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#176 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Davekeeh

Which of course took many of it's better ideas from the 360. Sony fanboys seem to conveniently forget that the 360 had a bunch of indie games, and they sold well.

Personally I like the idea that MS is correcting it's mistakes before launch. At least they aren't acting overly cocky and charging headlong into the fire ignoring what people are telling them...you know like Sony did with the PS3.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

So... what does everyone think of the announcement?

DrRockso87

Sony seems to be dictating a lot of the recent changes to Xbox policy.

This is good news for indie devs though, for sure.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 tormentos

[QUOTE="Davekeeh"]

coasterguy65

Which of course took many of it's better ideas from the 360. Sony fanboys seem to conveniently forget that the 360 had a bunch of indie games, and they sold well.

Personally I like the idea that MS is correcting it's mistakes before launch. At least they aren't acting overly cocky and charging headlong into the fire ignoring what people are telling them...you know like Sony did with the PS3.

On consoles sony has supported Indies before MS was even on the console market,the PS1 had a thing call Yaroze it was basicall a black PS1 which let people make games,and it wasn't that expensive,it was aimed at indies,something nintendo or sega had not done when they ruled the console market.

The PS2 also had its own version.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 tormentos

List of 180 done by MS so far.

Online require.

No used games.

DRM 

No self publish.

No mods.

Still on the air.

Kinect Included.

$500 price.

No cross play between platforms something Square complained about.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 ShaineTheNerd

[QUOTE="ShaineTheNerd"][QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

XBOunity

Link?

not true, millionaire indie?    come on.   

Cows have the patch fee -- something that was removed -- confused for publishing.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#181 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

That sounds amazing....for the first time i'm exited with something related to the X1! I really hope PS4 has something similar to this.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Does PS4 let you develop games on it? :cool:

If the XBL store becomes as bad as the XBL Indie store then I give up

RR360DD

You still need a PC for coding along with the x1. And btw Sony gave out dev kits to everyone long-long ago. MS is pathetic!:lol:

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

That sounds amazing....for the first time i'm exited with something related to the X1! I really hope PS4 has something similar to this.

PAL360

lmao. :lol: Good one.

ShaineTheNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 ShaineTheNerd

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

Does PS4 let you develop games on it? :cool:

If the XBL store becomes as bad as the XBL Indie store then I give up

clr84651

You still need a PC for coding along with the x1. And btw Sony gave out dev kits to everyone long-long ago. MS is pathetic!:lol:

Based on?