Microsoft CEO: "Xbox is just another Windows computer"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 harrygooch
Member since 2015 • 282 Posts

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-on-xbox-one-and-smart-homes-2015-12

Yikes, lol. And a rather weak windows computer it is. This can't be a good thing.

As I predicted, this is the last xbox console, next gen it will just be an xbox app for windows and youll just download all of their games from the app. How sad.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

It's actually fairly likely.

Microsoft has been moving in the direction that all MS devices use the same and interchangeable OS. The line between Windows PC, phone and console may become quite blurred in the future.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

So him being realistic and saying exactly what it is is some kind of news? They are just computers, all of them...

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

LOL, a rather shitty Windows computer if you ask me.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think that with what they are doing with the Lumia phones running a Windows 10 mobile environment, in the next 5-6 years, XBox will be an app that runs on a badass smartphone and they will do rather good for themselves.

If you stop and think about it, it's not actually a bad concept.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

I believe they go full on PC next gen and skip console production.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Peeked my head into SW, saw this, and LOL'd. You people are fricken ridiculous. He's talking about the ecosystem of PCs, laptops, phones, and consoles all being "Windows devices". And yes - all consoles are computers.

You fanboys are f**king pathetic.

Peace.

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 harrygooch

@StormyJoe: you seem angry. Enjoy this final xbox console. Next gen it will be just an app.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

No identity, just sad they tried to change the industry on their own and got knocked the **** out at E3.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

That would make sense, considering they have Lumia Phones and Surface Tablet. Next logical thing is for them to make a range of branded PC's that can also play Xbox Games. I could get on board with that. Maybe. Especially if it gives you upgrade opportunities. Though I'm not into the phone or Surface (I'm quite alright with my IPAD Air, and cheap android phone). They would have to be careful about how it's positioned from a marketing perspective. I mean if they just come out and say it's a PC... then alot of casuals might end up looking to other devices that are branded as pure gaming devices (I.e. Nintendo and Playstation).

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NyaDC

@Heil68 said:

No identity, just sad they tried to change the industry on their own and got knocked the **** out at E3.

I'd honestly say the PlayStation 4 is the console having an identity crisis, it's a PlayStation trying to be an Xbox 360 at the same time. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but it's nothing new, it doesn't really have its own identity.

Sony has taken everything that Microsoft did last generation and used it, they're pandering the old, which is tried and tested to work, but it's nothing new. Microsoft is moving forward with new goals and directions, I like and respect their ambition with the Xbox One more than Sony's with the PlayStation 4.

I feel like one is an extension of the past while the other is seeking the future.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@harrygooch said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-ceo-satya-nadella-on-xbox-one-and-smart-homes-2015-12

Yikes, lol. And a rather weak windows computer it is. This can't be a good thing.

As I predicted, this is the last xbox console, next gen it will just be an xbox app for windows and youll just download all of their games from the app. How sad.

PS4 is also a weak computer. Dem' multiplats at 20 fps on lowl

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah so what? Is this a bad thing?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Cows hope MS leaves.....but what would you guys have to talk about if they did? Lol

Isn't it a well known fact that both companies are already working on their next consoles?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NyaDC
@chikenfriedrice said:

Cows hope MS leaves.....but what would you guys have to talk about if they did? Lol

Isn't it a well known fact that both companies are already working on their next consoles?

If Microsoft left Sony in the state of a monopoly it would ruin their lives, Sony already does everything at a snails pace with competition, imagine what it would be like with none...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@nyadc said:
@Heil68 said:

I'd honestly say the PlayStation 4 is the console having an identity crisis, it's a PlayStation trying to be an Xbox 360 at the same time. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but it's nothing new, it doesn't really have its own identity.

Sony has taken everything that Microsoft did last generation and used it, they're pandering the old, which is tried and tested to work, but it's nothing new. Microsoft is moving forward with new goals and directions, I like and respect their ambition with the Xbox One more than Sony's with the PlayStation 4.

I feel like one is an extension of the past while the other is seeking the future.

Well I think its identity as current gen 8 console leader is quite known by everyone at this point. While MS is doing everything it can to try and keep pace, including scraping their entire original vision of the console because they got humiliated with their shitty DRM policies and were forced to change,

MS also shit canned Kinect so there goes that "future". How many units are selling with Kinect now? Hell even their FLAG SHIP Halo 5 console doesn't come with one.

How many devs are going to make exclusive Kinect games now?

So yeah, all we are left with is a "twin" as people call the X1/PS4 these days. With the dropping of Kinect and their DRM policies, there is nothing revolutionary about the X1.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@nyadc said:

How is the PS4 trying to be a 360.? This should be good..lol

Hahahahaa man you most be a damn shill is impossible that are serious so what sony took from the 360.?

MS was the one doing 180 all around to mimic the PS4..lol

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NyaDC

@tormentos said:
@nyadc said:

How is the PS4 trying to be a 360.? This should be good..lol

Hahahahaa man you most be a damn shill is impossible that are serious so what sony took from the 360.?

MS was the one doing 180 all around to mimic the PS4..lol

It's the go to console now, it's the mainstream console making 3rd party 'exclusive' content deals left and right with mass marketing and 3rd party designed consoles and bundles in wake of actual exclusive games.

It's the 360 2.0, they're doing everything Microsoft did with a huge reliance on 3rd party in wake of having almost nothing of their own.

The Xbox One is mimicking the PlayStation 4? Sony has tried to gouge nearly every possible feature and design subset that Microsoft has done with the Xbox One, especially as far as media and television is concerned. The PlayStation 4 is more in line with the original Xbox One vision than the Xbox One is in its current form...

@Heil68 said:

Well I think its identity as current gen 8 console leader is quite known by everyone at this point. While MS is doing everything it can to try and keep pace, including scraping their entire original vision of the console because they got humiliated with their shitty DRM policies and were forced to change,

MS also shit canned Kinect so there goes that "future". How many units are selling with Kinect now? Hell even their FLAG SHIP Halo 5 console doesn't come with one.

How many devs are going to make exclusive Kinect games now?

So yeah, all we are left with is a "twin" as people call the X1/PS4 these days. With the dropping of Kinect and their DRM policies, there is nothing revolutionary about the X1.

I appreciate the unpredictability, I like different, I like obscure when it comes to my consoles, that's probably half the reason I loved my Dreamcast more than my PlayStation 2.

I didn't say it was revolutionary, but no one has any idea what's going to happen, what they're going to do next with it, it's exciting. The PlayStation 4 to me is just kind of boring, it's predictable, it's cookie cutter, what they're doing is so last generation Microsoft, I don't feel a connection to much of anything going on with this thing.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@StormyJoe said:

You people

Racist

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@nyadc: What a sad state of affairs that would be...for all gamers

babyjoker1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By babyjoker1221
Member since 2015 • 1313 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if MS end up making the XB2 (or whatever they call it) a console/pc hybrid.

A traditional like box that looks and plays like a console. It would have upgradable parts, and depending on which parts you have, you could play games on either medium or high settings.

Doing this correctly almost instantly allows the xbox's game library to expand exponentially if they could get pc exclusives to run on it easily.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

At this point even MS's CEO is trolling Xbone. This is hilarious.

harrygooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 harrygooch

@silversix_: they should hire me as ceo. I would put them right on track.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#24 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

Like I have been saying for a while... The Xbox console should just be an entry level PC that developers target for minimum specs. You get the basic experience on the console and if you want to crank the graphics and framerate, you play on a more powerful PC. This would eliminate the exclusives and both console and PC gamers would get to enjoy the games.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

According to nyadc the PS4 outselling the xbone means its trying to be the 360 LMAO.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

they're not getting out of the console business. they're always going to need a box in the living room.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

they're not getting out of the console business. they're always going to need a box in the living room.

They can always make their own version of FireTV that plays Minecraft and apps.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@mems_1224 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

They can always make their own version of FireTV that plays Minecraft and apps.

cool

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

A shitty MS-DOS computer.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#30 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@harrygooch: @StormyJoe: you seem angry. Enjoy this final xbox console. Next gen it will be just an app.

you say that like its a bad thing. I'll be glad to get the games I like through an app instead of buying the hardware for exclusives that aren't on PC and not have to wait for the ones that do go to PC. You think buying dedicated, individual hardware is cool? I'd prefer they were all apps, and we could play their games on our PCs. The hardware would be able to dump on consoles and we wouldn't have to own different ones to play all we play. Or are you so in love with Sony you prefer paying for one piece of hardware, and then others?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#31 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@harrygooch: @silversix_: they should hire me as ceo. I would put them right on track

LMAO yeah because MSFT is a company that is in bad shape and needs to be put on track. Do you even read financial papers?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50545 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: lol, most times you post, you crack me up. Keep it up man

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

@BassMan said:

Like I have been saying for a while... The Xbox console should just be an entry level PC that developers target for minimum specs. You get the basic experience on the console and if you want to crank the graphics and framerate, you play on a more powerful PC. This would eliminate the exclusives and both console and PC gamers would get to enjoy the games.

I like this, I have an Xbox One and love it but I love it more when those games get released on PC, having a choice on where I want to play the games; on my pc or Xbox is great. Xbox ecosystem is fantastic.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@sailor232 said:
@BassMan said:

I like this, I have an Xbox One and love it but I love it more when those games get released on PC, having a choice on where I want to play the games; on my pc or Xbox is great. Xbox ecosystem is fantastic.

The problem with this is, it defeats the purpose of a console in the first place. There's at least some sort of quality control and standardization through services they can force on developers on XBox. They can't do that on windows so a console experience with origin, steam, games that support controllers poorly, games with UI's that are made for a viewing distance 2 feet from a screen, online games that will have keyboard/mouse controllers, super easy to run hacks because you can.. Power and flexibility are the staples of PC. But it does bring a lot of detriments.

I know you can hook a PC up to a TV, but its not an optimal experience at all. If you can honestly say you bought a game like battlefront which has no recoil, sniping ability with a pistols, would you really enjoy playing online with a controller when everyone else is using mice... its not fun. Or trying to use a mouse/keyboard on your lap... Then depending on which ever games your playing you might have a different friends list than another game, and a different way of chatting with them. Or having to just switch to steam from origin after to play different games/talk to other friends. Because its so bad you sometimes end up with communities that talk on skype/teamspeak so it even gets lonelier in games. Consoles server a particularly good purpose and that's getting developers/publishers to conform to a user experience. There's a sacrifice of flexibility and power a lot of people are willing to make for that experience.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

The all in one console is being part of "one" ecosystem?

*Inception horn*.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

I definitely don't want MS to leave. What would keep Sony driving to do better? Nintendo, who doesn't seem to have a long future in this industry either? Yikes.

However it could be a good thing. Might be time to get some newer fresher companies to the industry bringing out consoles to compete.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Microsoft isn't interested in making games so them leaving would be no big deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Enough.