Microsoft becoming the Netflix of the gaming industry will be HUGELY disruptive to Sony and Nintendo.

• 127 results
Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

With the recent news of Microsoft interested in buying EA. A Gaming Giant with a treasure chest of IPs and Studios. Microsoft could revive all of the IPs and put them in Xbox Game Pass. MS buying EA would set off a gaming consolidation of companies, with MS Netflix model desire for gaming, Microsoft will likely aggressively buy gaming publishers and studios. Sony and Nintendo will desperately try to buy studios to combat the growing Microsoft shopping.

However for Consoles, Microsoft's Netflix will badly damage Sony and Nintendo, especially Sony in such a way that that Xbox Console owners can play all games that MS bought/made at a price of $10 per month, whereas Sony users will be forced to pay full price +PSN.

So no Microsoft won't have games from EA or any other company they buy exclusive to Xbox, however they will make add those IPs to Game Pass and have them exclusive to Windows 10 and Xbox.

An example would be Madden and FIFA, Xbox console users can play those games for $10 on Game Pass, compared to $60 on PS4 + PSN. Consumers would of course flock to Xbox consoles to play those games since it's much cheaper.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:

With the recent news of Microsoft interested in buying EA. A Gaming Giant with a treasure chest of IPs and Studios. Microsoft could revive all of the IPs and put them in Xbox Game Pass. MS buying EA would set off a gaming consolidation of companies, with MS Netflix model desire for gaming, Microsoft will likely aggressively buy gaming publishers and studios. Sony and Nintendo will desperately try to buy studios to combat the growing Microsoft shopping.

However for Consoles, Microsoft's Netflix will badly damage Sony and Nintendo, especially Sony in such a way that that Xbox Console owners can play all games that MS bought/made at a price of $10 per month, whereas Sony users will be forced to pay full price +PSN.

So no Microsoft won't have games from EA or any other company they buy exclusive to Xbox, however they will make add those IPs to Game Pass and have them exclusive to Windows 10 and Xbox.

An example would be Madden and FIFA, Xbox console users can play those games for $10 on Game Pass, compared to $60 on PS4 + PSN. Consumers would of course flock to Xbox consoles to play those games since it's much cheaper.

**** renting video games.

#physicaltillidie

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 41144 Posts

Yepperzz, Phony and Nintendont are indeed doomed... Doooooomed I tellz ya. No joke.. Eh, okay maybe just a lil. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

Amazing how everyone makes a big deal about gamepass without knowing how long the new releases will be on it lol.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5073 Posts

They have never hidden the fact they want to head this way. They use the subscription model well in other areas.

But its a bit earlier to say how they will do it. Lets wait and see.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

if Microsoft becomes Netflix then Nintendo will be HBO GO

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

The important thing is they give choices to people, I love Netflix I think it's one of the best things ever, but I still buy movies/TV shows on Physical Format, I also still buy movies and TV shows digitally. Similarly, Those 3 options should remain with Xbox and I think this Game PAss is a great idea for various reasons, it makes the games more accessible to people who simply cannot afford 60$+ at launch and who prefer this kind of thing. As for the rest and how the market will be affected, I'd rather not think about that now....right now I'm wondering if I should put 1 or 2 sugars in my coffee to start the day :)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

10 $ of month to play fifa? While I spend hundreds of dollars on fifa packs, no thanks, I rather buy the super deluxe edition for 90$, at least with that I get even more packs.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Yea because NFL, Fifa, Disney and some of the other major brands are only going to let their games on 1 system...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 60522 Posts

The panic attacks over this rumor is hilarious.

What's even more hilarious is the sudden appeal for games to be non exclusives.

If MS is aiming to be the Netflix of gaming then they will be pushing platform independence.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Why would you rather pay 10 dollars a month forever to play FIFA instead of just a flat 60 and actually owning the game?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 60522 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

Why would you rather pay 10 dollars a month forever to play FIFA instead of just a flat 60 and actually owning the game?

Well it depends. If a person plays a game for less than 6 months then $10/month is better. But the gamer always has the option to purchase the game if they want to and at a discount.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4499 Posts

@jcrame10: You'll be able to do both.

You cows need to read.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 37986 Posts

MS tried to digitize gaming before, and failed. They will fail again.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5073 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

MS tried to digitize gaming before, and failed. They will fail again.

Music went digital

Pictures went digital

video went digital

gaming on PC gone mostly digital

Why not gaming on console

They failed in their approach, learnt and went a different way.

they wont fail.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jcrame10

@FLOPPAGE_50: but why would you want to?

lol that’s like throwing money away to rent a house when you have enough money and good credit to put a down payment on one.

But this is also the same group that paid 500 dollars for the same console a third time. Lems and their money are soon parted.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FLOPPAGE_50

@jcrame10: If you can't see the benefit of both of these then changing your mind is impossibe

You're a cow, clearly this upsets you.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

More lem wishful thinking ?

This plan will fail like their other attempts to go digital only. ISPs keep trying to screw us over and you want me to believe everyone will be downloading 100s of gigs of data just to play games with our shitty internet speeds and data caps? ? Good luck.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jcrame10

@FLOPPAGE_50: I don’t want to pay for gaming as a service. That’s slave mentality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

If this happens Nintendo will be less affected than Sony. And it's funny cause while most of people around here constantly shit on Nintendo for being... well, Nintendo. They are the ones that due to their strategy will fell almost no impact over something like this happening. On the bright side, Sony might be hard pushed to bet even more on their 1st party.

Now being paranoid. Who knows if the reason why Sony is going all in this gen isn't already a reaction to this MS move.

Also, it would be interesting seeing Sony securing a ton of Japanese games and MS still struggling in that same area.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

OP: there are two problems here

1. regardless of the cost, if you dont have games people want to play they are not going to care.

2. to be frank, consoles are on the bottom on the gaming pile. PC and mobile are the only serious factors in the gaming universe so how does this affect those two markets?

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Yes disruptive to the current model but it will need to succeed. MS will not be able or want to go through pain of buying EA, Ubisoft, and Activisions of the world. It aint going to disrupt anything with the way xbox is right now. The ones that are thriving on the current market are not gonna move till there is success there. Then they will all follow suit and it will be the usual who has got the original content as third party will be everywhere even more so now. Microsoft needs that EA catalog to try and make it work. I'm not sure the current sub price of $10 will be enough. Its likely going to go up. Third party content will need first release on current model or something else. There is just not enough money on Netflix like thing without first upfront sells. MS will have to go through some pain first to guarantee third party will make same or more money. Could be more disruptive to third party publishers then Sony Nintendo. Especially Nintendo who are sometimes on a different market to give a shit about this.

I'm just not sure if I'm reading it correctly TC but people like to throw around netflix like it automatically accommodate success for publishers. There just no way MS will go around buying up publishers like that. They will happily put stuff there but they will always need first upfront sale.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt

@ellos said:

Yes disruptive to the current model but it will need to succeed. It aint going to disrupt anything with the way xbox is right now. The ones that are thriving on the current market are not gonna move till there is success there. Then they will all follow suit and it will be the usual who has got the original content as third party will be everywhere even more so now. Microsoft needs that EA catalog to try and make it work. I'm not sure the current sub price of $10 will be enough. Its likely going to go up. The ones that thrive on the current model are gonna want that to continue.

its very simply this:

if they dont have games people want its not going to matter

it really is that basic. xbox is not doing worse becuase its not cheaper, its doing worse becuase it doesnt have games

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

When you're in last place, just throw everything out the window in an effort to survive.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FLOPPAGE_50

@jcrame10: but buying rehashes and remasters up the ass is okay?

You realize you guys get called cows due to the milkage

What an ignorant thing to proclaim, you just dug your own grave.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@twizded: Looking like 5 to six months on some titles. That's good value for me.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shawn30

@jcrame10 said:

Does your Fifa come with Madden, Anthem, Halo, Gears, Madden, Forza and Forza Horizon, BattlefIeld, all future Star Wars games, Titanfall games, Mass Effect games? Cause that is the value of Game pass if any of this is true. I would gladly pay$ 10 bucks to rent Fifa for 5 months+ and play all of those other games than to pay $60 to own Fifa and have to pay more for new games. Its a value thing.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TryIt

@shawn30 said:
@jcrame10 said:

Does your Fifa come with Madden, Anthem, Halo, Gears, Madden, Forza and Forza Horizon, BattlefIeld, all future Star Wars games, Titanfall games, Mass Effect games? Cause that is the value of Game pass if any of this is true. I would gladly pay$ 10 bucks to rent Fifa for 5 months+ and play all of those other games than to pay $60 to own Fifa and have to pay more for new games. Its a value thing.

see but I wouldn't pay a dime for ANY of those games.

I know my gaming preferences is not the average but I think what MS has to focus on more than anything else, more than deep cutting prices, is game selection.

THAT is what matters, not the cost

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50: Odd thing to say considering MS, the company you pledge loyalty to, has released three consoles this gen. If anything, lems are the new cows.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shawn30

@tryit said:
@shawn30 said:
@jcrame10 said:

I know my gaming preferences is not the average but I think what MS has to focus on more than anything else, more than deep cutting prices, is game selection.

And that's perfectly fine, but between MS's first party offerings and EA, of which the sports titles are the biggest, this could be come a huge value provided any of this is true, lol. As for me, I'm interested in likely 6 games I know are coming out this year, and going forward a number more. This would be worth a tremendous value to me. And long-term I think it will appeal to a lot of people.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TryIt

@shawn30 said:
@tryit said:
@shawn30 said:
@jcrame10 said:

And that's perfectly fine, but between MS's first party offerings and EA, of which the sports titles are the biggest, this could be come a huge value provided any of this is true, lol. As for me, I'm interested in likely 6 games I know are coming out this year, and going forward a number more. This would be worth a tremendous value to me. And long-term I think it will appeal to a lot of people.

I dont know the numbers compared to AA indie games but my gut tells me these 'first party developers' are not doing as well as one might think. or at least not as well as they could.

it could be just my point of view to be fair, they couldnt give me those games for free so from my view point its a snore

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Can someone explain how a 3bln Valve and 7bln EA acquisition could possibly pay of to Microsoft's gaming division. Monthly subscriber fees can do just that? Steam + Xbox Live user-base merging?

You know what Philly P got? 600 BILLION FUCKING DOLLARS BABY AWWWWWWYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#33 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 39934 Posts

@Sphensen said:

if Microsoft becomes Netflix then Nintendo will be HBO GO

Not always a bad thing, in that regard. They keep their stuff and have more QC over it. Though, unlike Nintendo, HBO at least is smart enough to put SOME content on third party distributors. Namely Last Week Tonight on YouTube because of far more important reasons than video games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 51505 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

@FLOPPAGE_50: I don’t want to pay for gaming as a service. That’s slave mentality.

And yet, console gamers are paying to play online for years now. How ironic.

Don't be ashamed, we all been a slave to something.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 41144 Posts

@jahnee said:

Can someone explain how a 3bln Valve and 7bln EA acquisition could possibly pay of to Microsoft's gaming division. Monthly subscriber fees can do just that? Steam + Xbox Live user-base merging?

You know what Philly P got? 600 BILLION FUCKING DOLLARS BABY AWWWWWWYEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah baby... Yeah !!! lol :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

If Microsoft becomes the Netflix of gaming then I'm not worried as it will become available on PlayStation.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Daniel_Su123

@Pedro: they won't be pushing for independence. They will however be multiplat, but they will still have a console, because that's the best way to push your services.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3983 Posts

I couldn't careless as long as I can still buy the games that I want.!

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

lol no

Even if this does take off, Sony and Nintendo have much better libraries to offer; either physical/digital or through some rental service.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6261 Posts

Isn't Sony already doing this to an extent with PSN Now?

Pandadropkicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pandadropkicks
Member since 2017 • 389 Posts

@quadknight: Didn't sony release ps4, ps4 slim, and ps4 pro. That's 3 consoles lmao

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebd39d683340
deactivated-5ebd39d683340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By deactivated-5ebd39d683340
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

@SecretPolice: :'D The legendary Gif of the AllMighty masterslavemaster-race X boxing one hit K.O. multiplied by XXX striked out factor monster machine.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 21556 Posts

@jahnee said:

Lmao.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 38957 Posts

I’m all for having more options supported for gaming but I always want to have the ability to purchase my games on a physical format.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Daniel_Su123

@tryit said:

1. regardless of the cost, if you dont have games people want to play they are not going to care.

2. to be frank, consoles are on the bottom on the gaming pile. PC and mobile are the only serious factors in the gaming universe so how does this affect those two markets?

I agree it won't affect Mobile markets since Google and Apple dictate the stores they have. However it does help them when they're getting back in the Mobile game, for PC, Steam gained a huge competitor, it's hard to deny, but Xbox Game Pass with EA/MS games will definitely impact Steam.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Daniel_Su123

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

lol no

Even if this does take off, Sony and Nintendo have much better libraries to offer; either physical/digital or through some rental service.

Since when does Sony and Nintendo have the infrastructure and money to get a Netflix-like gaming service to work? Someone made a perfect analogy here. Sony or Nintendo may become the HBO GO of gaming. But they will definitely not become the Netflix of gaming or otherwise the 'go to' for content.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TryIt

@daniel_su123 said:
@tryit said:

I agree it won't affect Mobile markets since Google and Apple dictate the stores they have. However it does help them when they're getting back in the Mobile game, for PC, Steam gained a huge competitor, it's hard to deny, but Xbox Game Pass with EA/MS games will definitely impact Steam.

no it will have ZERO impact on Steam.

you know why? two reasons. 1. Steam dosent even sell most EA titles! 2. Its still an EA game! regardless of the cost.

The most important (by far) element in selling a game is the quality of the game itself, price comes later. I dont want an EA game at any price! and steam users appear to not want them either because they are not there for sale (the new ones)

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Daniel_Su123

@tryit said:
@daniel_su123 said:
@tryit said:

no it will have ZERO impact on Steam.

you know why? two reasons. 1. Steam dosent even sell most EA titles! 2. Its still an EA game! regardless of the cost.

The most important (by far) element in selling a game is the quality of the game itself, price comes later. I dont want an EA game at any price! and steam users appear to not want them either because they are not there for sale (the new ones)

I agree with that fact, however if Microsoft is becoming Netflix, I expect more aggressive buyout of studios and IPs. Which in turn will consolidate the gaming industry.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Daniel_Su123

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

lol no

You can't have physical/digital purchases along with a rental services. Microsoft showed that when putting their games on Game Pass on day 1. If Sony or Nintendo create a rental service, I expect it to alienate retailers. However the Netflix model IS the future of the gaming industry, EA and Microsoft know that.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Their ultimate goal will probably be to drive Sony out of the gaming business, as Sony do not have the capital to compete. Nintendo can keep on doing their own thing - its evident MS do not view them as competition.

If they are serious about becoming the 'Netflix' of gaming, then there will be a lot more studio acquisitions to come. Although I'm not sold on the EA rumour, due to their reliance on licenced games.