Microsoft and why the phrase 'True 4K'

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Zero_epyon (12078 posts) -

Stumble upon this article about how Microsoft defines 4K.

What is True 4k Resolution? Is it Native resolution?

Interestingly enough on Xboxwire.com which is basically official Xbox blog, they actually made a post with a frequently asked questions and one of the question was about the true 4k resolution.

So in that page it was actually explained that true 4k resolution may consist of native 4k resolution checkerboard / sparse rendering resolution or dynamic resolution scaling. Which is interesting statement because it means that they are pretty much doing the same thing as Sony does with the dynamic 4k.

So, itโ€™s going to be basically a war between dynamic 4k and true 4k resolution. Interestingly enough none of these companies is actually saying anything about native resolution because they cannot really promise a native resolution in every single game and thatโ€™s both for PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.

After reading that last line, I came to realize that I keep hearing true 4k as opposed to native 4K. That's because the phrase 'True 4K' is the same thing as other buzz phrases like "MotionRate 120" or "TruColor HDR" on TV's.

These phrases let companies say they provide something that's sounds similar to a certain feature without it being the exact same thing. Tv's with TruColor HDR try their hardest to mimic what HDR looks like on a TV that's capable of displaying more colors.

MotionRate 120 is a way to mimic 120hz using a 60hz panel.

The same with MS. They're pushing True 4K and calling their console a True 4K console. But what that really means is that they're delivering a system that puts out 4K like quality along with some actual 4K games. This gets them to say they have a 4K machine without having some or any actual 4K games. It also lets them avoid legal trouble.

MS' marketing is as sharp as ever!

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#2 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11361 posts) -

Its a more expensive PS4 Pro except without any true exclusive games. They haven't learned anything from 2013.

#3 Posted by I_P_Daily (6862 posts) -

@Zero_epyon: Man your full time job is creating MS threads. Does Sony really pay that well, if so can you get me a job :P

#4 Edited by GordonFreeman (588 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

@Zero_epyon: Man your full time job is creating MS threads. Does Sony really pay that well, if so can you get me a job :P

He's just mad that this console is going to launch with roughly 40 AAA titles right out of the gate with Xbox One X enhancements and no doubt most of them will be operating at native 4K.

At this point he probably should be getting moderator action, he's probably created 15 threads since E3 all encompassing the same lines of dialog.

#5 Edited by ronvalencia (25572 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Its a more expensive PS4 Pro except without any true exclusive games. They haven't learned anything from 2013.

MS learnt from resolution gate i.. their resolution must be higher than the game console competition.

#6 Posted by Tigerbalm (848 posts) -

They should have said True Checkerboard Time Travel 4k.

#7 Edited by Archangel3371 (23821 posts) -

Hardly an issue in my opinion. Companies use typical phrasing pretty much all the time to puff up their product. The end result is that they are still delivering the most powerful console currently available at a reasonable price for what that product consists of with the ability to display impressive quality visuals.

#8 Posted by I_P_Daily (6862 posts) -

@gordonfreeman said:
@i_p_daily said:

He's just mad that this console is going to launch with roughly 40 AAA titles right out of the gate with Xbox One X enhancements and no doubt most of them will be operating at native 4K.

At this point he probably should be getting moderator action, he's probably created 15 threads since E3 all encompassing the same lines of dialog.

I don't care about all this 4K stuff, but it seems the cows do a LOT.

As for him getting moderated, I don't know the sites rules as I've never looked at them in the 2+yrs I've been here, i'm just here for some fun :)

I got accused about something to do with karma earlier and I had no idea what that person was talking about lol

#9 Posted by Zero_epyon (12078 posts) -

@i_p_daily: I get paid in complements...

#10 Edited by Zero_epyon (12078 posts) -

@gordonfreeman: didn't you get banned?

Or did you forget your password again.

#11 Posted by AdobeArtist (24784 posts) -

As you point out by your other examples, tactical language designed to reach towards market appeal, under disingenuous pretense, is nothing new to commercial marketing. It's up to the consumer to be more perceptive to the methods, take nothing at face value, and do their own research. The gullible and uninformed is who they all thrive on.

#12 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11361 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

MS learnt from resolution gate i.. their resolution must be higher than the game console competition.

The reason resolution gate happened was because Xbox One was $100 more than the PS4 despite being weaker.

#13 Posted by I_P_Daily (6862 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@i_p_daily: I get paid in complements...

Shit, then you must be poor :(

#14 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11361 posts) -

@gordonfreeman said:
@i_p_daily said:

Why should he be moderated? Because MS is releasing a fake 4K console like Sony did? Blame Phil for that.

#15 Posted by GordonFreeman (588 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@i_p_daily said:

Why should he be moderated? Because MS is releasing a fake 4K console like Sony did? Blame Phil for that.

He's created a pretty ridiculous amount of threads that harbor the same discussions covering what are largely the same things.

#16 Posted by Chutebox (43462 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@gordonfreeman said:
@i_p_daily said:

Hey, if anyone should know of moderation is him.

#17 Posted by j2zon2591 (3203 posts) -

@tigerbalm said:

LMFAO

Anyway, I really expected for titles to just perform better in average framerate and be less dynamic in res for the X1.

Tangent: Hope MS stays away from Sony get next round and they may have a better chance 1 year after PS5 release the XB2 with beefy hardware. Still cat and mouse tho lol.

#18 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

If Sony can use the BS term "Dynamic 4k" I don't see what's the problem.

#19 Posted by SinjinSmythe (1044 posts) -

Sony now will have the worst version of multiplats when after the One X's cycle starts. Call it what you want but the Pro is yesterday's trash.

#20 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

@SinjinSmythe said:

Sony now will have the worst version of multiplats when after the One X's cycle starts. Call it what you want but the Pro is yesterday's trash.

Its the new Xbox One. :)

#21 Posted by Zero_epyon (12078 posts) -

@Pedro: Dynamic 4k is exactly what it sounds like. It's dynamic resolution with a 4k native target. True 4K implies that it's only 4k in its truest form. But MS definition of true 4k includes checkerboard and dynamic resolution.

#22 Posted by Tigerbalm (848 posts) -

@j2zon2591 said:
@tigerbalm said:

LMFAO

Anyway, I really expected for titles to just perform better in average framerate and be less dynamic in res for the X1.

Tangent: Hope MS stays away from Sony get next round and they may have a better chance 1 year after PS5 release the XB2 with beefy hardware. Still cat and mouse tho lol.

You like? It's accurate too.

#23 Posted by QuadKnight (9969 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

True.

It's all bullshit and marketing speak with them.

#24 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

I can't wait to play Forza 7, Cuphead, Ashen, Sea of Thieves, Ori, Crackdown 3 on the PS4 or PS4 Pro.

It would be great if you could though.

#25 Posted by lrdfancypants (3850 posts) -

I think it's worse they removed "high fidelity VR".

I was really wanting to find out what the hell that even is.

#26 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

@lrdfancypants said:

I think it's worse they removed "high fidelity VR".

I was really wanting to find out what the hell that even is.

Probably be more prominent or re-introduced next year. But VR needs a solid application re-envisioning to garner mass appeal. PSVR maybe your only console option at least for the next year.

#27 Posted by Zero_epyon (12078 posts) -

@Pedro: There's always my pc.

#28 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@Pedro: There's always my pc.

Hell yeah. Thats how it should have been since the birth of the Xbox brand. Thank god for MS trying to push UWP like cocaine. XPA is my preferred way of buying console games.

#29 Posted by Zero_epyon (12078 posts) -

@Pedro: yeah that was the whole reason why Bill Gates allowed Xbox to exist. He only let it happen because the plan was to create software for the box and bring over what worked to windows. After all this time it's finally happening.

#30 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5539 posts) -

Notice how MS says "True 4k", but never says "True Exclusives". Huh. Wonder why.

#31 Edited by Pedro (28966 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@Pedro: yeah that was the whole reason why Bill Gates allowed Xbox to exist. He only let it happen because the plan was to create software for the box and bring over what worked to windows. After all this time it's finally happening.

I don't think Billy was interested in the Xbox when it was first proposed but it took the company too damn long to make this obvious transition.

#32 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:

Notice how MS says "True 4k", but never says "True Exclusives". Huh. Wonder why.

Yes because Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Forza 7, Ori etc are not exclusives right? People need to find a more valid complaint you know like "I don't like their exclusives" or the fan favorite "I can play it on my gaming PC that I created for this argument".

#33 Posted by phbz (2421 posts) -

Can we just aggregate all damage control threads?

#34 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

@phbz said:

Can we just aggregate all damage control threads?

No, we need a new one every 2 minutes. Its the only way to keep us entertained.

#35 Edited by QuadKnight (9969 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Yes because Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Forza 7, Ori etc are not exclusives right? People need to find a more valid complaint you know like "I don't like their exclusives" or the fan favorite "I can play it on my gaming PC that I created for this argument".

๐Ÿ˜‚ They aren't but keep damage controlling.

Switch and PS4 have games not playable on other systems and are called exclusives. Lems live in a fairy tale land where all the games they share with PC are somehow exclusive because they change the meaning of the word to suit their damage control. Sort of like their parent company and "console launch exclusive"

#36 Posted by mcreloaded (48 posts) -

I have a little hobby and this weeks show is going to feature fanboys from each side. It's what makes us have fun. If we all took a step back and just appreciated the games we wouldnt have anything to argue about. How much fun would that be.

#37 Posted by Zero_epyon (12078 posts) -

@Pedro: now if we can get them to reopen ensemble and make new age games.

#38 Posted by Reduc_Ab_ (5539 posts) -

@quadknight said:
@Pedro said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Switch and PS4 have games not playable on other systems and are called exclusives. Lems live in a fairy tale land where all the games they share with PC are somehow exclusive because they change the meaning of the word to suit their damage control. Sort of like their parent company and "console launch exclusive"

Seriously. Every single one of those games is playable on PC. Not a single true exclusive. I have no idea what @Pedro is trying to pull here. Oh, wait, yeah I do......

#39 Posted by Pedro (28966 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@Pedro: now if we can get them to reopen ensemble and make new age games.

Play your HD remastered and be quiet. :P

#40 Posted by nathanbats (1057 posts) -

I love threads like this lol

#41 Posted by GordonFreeman (588 posts) -

@nathanbats said:

This console has turned this place into a fucking mad house, it's hilarious.

#42 Posted by Shewgenja (19496 posts) -

@gordonfreeman said:
@nathanbats said:

Only if one presumes to be the warden. This E3 was like a meatgrinder for all fanboys. Hermits, excluded.

#43 Posted by Xabiss (1544 posts) -

@gordonfreeman said:
@nathanbats said:

Cows cant handle not having the most powerful console on the planet and it shows. Pretty fucking sad how they are all acting!

#44 Posted by Guy_Brohski (1825 posts) -

@Zero_epyon: Xbox One X has more RAM, more Teraflops and has an UHD Blu-ray player. It is simply the most capable console ever built. Every gamer with half a brain knows that it can't run every game at 60fps native 4K at highest settings all of the time. Hell, the best PC GPU can't do that. But no matter how mad it makes you, XB1X's hardware technically outperforms the PS4 "Pro" in every possible way. Sweet dreams, Ponies.

#45 Posted by Xabiss (1544 posts) -

@Guy_Brohski said:

@Zero_epyon: Xbox One X has more RAM, more Teraflops and has an UHD Blu-ray player. It is simply the most capable console ever built. Every gamer with half a brain knows that it can't run every game at 60fps native 4K at highest settings all of the time. Hell, the best PC GPU can't do that. But no matter how mad it makes you, XB1X's hardware technically outperforms the PS4 "Pro" in every possible way. Sweet dreams, Ponies.

And cows cant figure this out and it is hilarious!

#46 Posted by GordonFreeman (588 posts) -

@reduc_ab_ said:
@quadknight said:
@Pedro said:
@reduc_ab_ said:

Seriously. Every single one of those games is playable on PC. Not a single true exclusive. I have no idea what @Pedro is trying to pull here. Oh, wait, yeah I do......

What's it to you? You're not a PC gamer, so what exactly are you trying to pull?

This console is exactly meant for people like yourself and it has games you will never see on your PlayStation 4.

#47 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (11361 posts) -

So Red Dead 2 will look the same on both Pro and Scorpio but still have exclusive content on PS4. Nail in the coffin for MS this gen.

#48 Edited by Syferonik (3060 posts) -

They hyped the console as true 4k and when we're getting close to release, they tell us the truth, their "true 4k" is nothing else but true BS. How in the shit can you sell your console under true 4k when checkerboard / sparse rendering resolution or dynamic resolution scaling is being used? Do they even know what true 4k means? Oh but they do. They did it to build hype, that's all they've been doing with the Xbone... lie to their fanbase and then reveal the sad reality when approaching launch day

What's next? DX13 for Xbone 2? hah

#49 Posted by ronvalencia (25572 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

So Red Dead 2 will look the same on both Pro and Scorpio but still have exclusive content on PS4. Nail in the coffin for MS this gen.

Where's the claim for PS4 Pro's Red Dead 2 4K?

#50 Posted by PinkAnimal (2380 posts) -

Lol, this doesn't surprise me after they also used the term "exclusive" all over E3 without actually meaning exclusivity. What a joke.