Microsoft admits LIE regarding hardware problems

This topic is locked from further discussion.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

Seeing as we weren't involved in the experiment Kassa conducted and have little insight in the means used, we are not capable of responding to these findings in great detail. As a result of regular use it is possible that scratches on the disc may start to appear. However, Kassa's experiment shows no indication that these things occur on a big scale.

Evidently it's important to us that our customers get the best possible gaming experience and thus we take the test results very seriously. Xbox owners who claim their discs have been similarly scratches as indicated by Kassa, should contact us. We will research your console and if necessary repair it to a completely working condition. As a plus, we will inform Xbox owners on how they can acquire replacement discs if they should need them.Translation of Microsoft's statement

Yeah I heard that Kassa would investigate the matter (because people send in more than thousand complaints to the show about the issue). One gamer even went as far as planning a lawsuit against a retailer and Microsoft because of this. But the retailer inmediatly responded with a "coulance regulation" and replaced the xbox360 and all the games with brand new ones for free.

Why did the program did a scratch test? Because Microsoft, despite all the complaints and the many reports on the interwebs, still wouldn't admit that there is a problem and they held on their statement: "If stably placed the Xbox can cause no scratches on discs.".

Because of this Kassa investigated the matter and would held tests during three days with as many as nine gamers. Both in a laboratorium and a housechamber setting. Obviously, it turned out that the xbox360 infact, even while placed stably, will (not can) cause circle shaped scratches on several gamediscs.

"From the data known by Kassa, it turns out that the problems especially occures with Xbox360's that were produced at the end of last year with the notorious TSST-drive. For this reason we send Microsoft a list with specific questions, which we would liked answers to. We didn't get a respond on these questions. However, the company did eventually came with a declaration on the issue. And it is remarkable:" (see OP for their statement).

So there you have it, they forced Microsoft to admit and adress the issue, and they'll be watching to see how things will turn out from now. Good news for gamers.Neomoto

Not the first time (Xbox PSU) they've lied about their crappy hardware, and it's not the last ("normal" failure rate etc.). 

Ninja-Vox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Ninja-Vox
Member since 2006 • 16314 Posts
I think disc-scratching is a very rare problem. I've never had it. I dont know anyone who's ever had it, and the majority ARE from fools who move their 360 while it's on. I think the concern they SHOULD be testing here is the 3 red lights. I've had it twice, my buddy's had it; loads of people have had it. That's the REAL problem.
Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

Lying about hardware isn't new.

Sony: DREs? What DREs?

Nintendo: When you see Wii games, you'll say wow!

legalize3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 legalize3
Member since 2007 • 1670 Posts

a dutch tv program have tested it

http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/index.php/serie?serID=241&md5=4ba74c402896a1670ffcd69c77fc9973

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 InsaneBasura

thirstychainsaw

The PSP is like a gate!

Yeah it's nothing new and I'm not surprised since this and the rest of the 360's hardware problems are quite obvious to anyone but the most hardcore fanboys who keep waving their "Microsoft sed 3-5%!!1" and "itz teh sony fnaboys lieing its teh conspiarcay!!11" around. Doesn't make it right though.

And I assume it'd be quite dificult to test the 3RLOD. I mean, most consoles don't break until after a couple of months. Microsoft would surely know what the problem(s) is, but they're not gonna talk.

asdasd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 asdasd
Member since 2005 • 4464 Posts

thirstychainsaw

I did say wow :P

But right after that , I said "wtf is that" 

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 InsaneBasura

One thing that's not getting much attention is how Microsoft has managed to **** up the ****ing optical port on the AV cable. Seriously, how the hell does one do that? It's a standard jack FFS. :|

If you place the optical cable carefully you'll get a signal though. But still, how did they succeed? It's mindboggling.

Avatar image for thirstychainsaw
thirstychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thirstychainsaw
Member since 2007 • 3761 Posts

One thing that's not getting much attention is how Microsoft has managed to **** up the ****ing optical port on the AV cable. Seriously, how the hell does one do that? It's a standard jack FFS. :|

If you place the optical cable carefully you'll get a signal though. But still, how did they succeed? It's mindboggling.

InsaneBasura

It's obvious Microsoft back engineered the Cell and are now using it for EVIL! 

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
watch out for the lemmings there going to bash u cus they cant handle the f ACT UR SYSTEM HAS BAD HARDWARE
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

thirstychainsaw

It's hard to do anything without the Cell, I mean this morning I was tying my shoes and I somehow ended up in Baghdad.

Yea why should we be so harsh on Microsoft ...
     afterall they lack limitless power -- fear not though Gears are in motion and god will grant Gates a Halo as a symbol -- a symbol that God exists yet Bill Gates will call it -  sign of the savior - the icon - the forerunner of Xbox ! ...

but onto the topic ... i think Microsoft is being honest and the failure rates arnt as high as people claim -- the only appear high compared to how low PS3 failure rate is and Wii failure rate. So its more of a sucess for SONY ( Nintendo Wii is like manufacturing a suped up Gamecube ... Nintendo knew in advance any problems they would face ) .... than failure for Microsoft ...

prophet87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 prophet87
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"]

asdasd

I did say wow :P

But right after that , I said "wtf is that" 

haha classic :D

axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 axt113
Member since 2007 • 2777 Posts

thirstychainsaw

I did say wow :| 

Especially with SPM, it rocks 

soldier-dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 soldier-dark
Member since 2005 • 5909 Posts

I have't had problems with my 360, it hasn't scratched any of my disks. None of my friends with 360s have had any problems either, and all of them had launch units.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
I have been lucky so far but even so I believe that the the defect rates are unexcuseable, and the majority of the horror stories are true. The lessons learned by Sony from the PS1 & 2 have served them well this time around.
eddy_of_york

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 eddy_of_york
Member since 2005 • 1676 Posts
Whoa microsoft admits to lying? I wish all major companies would admit to things like that.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 InsaneBasura

I have't had problems with my 360, it hasn't scratched any of my disks. None of my friends with 360s have had any problems either, and all of them had launch units.

soldier-dark

That means the problem doesn't exist and that unicorns can fly. lol, just kidding, unicorns can't fly. Everyone knows they teleport.

Whoa microsoft admits to lying? I wish all major companies would admit to things like that.eddy_of_york

Phil Harrison admitted the "rumble is last gen" was bollocks. Always something. 

elementz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 elementz28
Member since 2007 • 1829 Posts
of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them.they even hinted it out so many times that their 360 is more faulty then you think..tryin to lie and make it sound true..but they dint get away with it...lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..
killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killaj2786
Member since 2006 • 2531 Posts

of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them..lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..elementz28

U realize its only been units made before or during launch.......

and the ps3 is only worth that much too...since it has only one game worth playing and blku-ray problems. 

Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

and everyone said the new technoligy on the PS3 would light up in flames :roll:

anywho....thats a bad buuurrn for MS

shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts

[QUOTE="elementz28"]of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them..lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..killaj2786

and the ps3 is only worth that much too...since it has only one game worth playing and blku-ray problems.

What blu-ray problems? link or you lieing. 

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
i hve 2 360s, no probs with either.. they must've been blessed with holywater before i bought them or something.
d_40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 d_40
Member since 2005 • 966 Posts
well every company lies!!!
elementz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 elementz28
Member since 2007 • 1829 Posts

[QUOTE="elementz28"]of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them..lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..killaj2786

yeah thats why sony is losing millions on the PS3 :roll:  we got of plenty of games to play this year..what else you lemming are goin to bash when you got nothin else to talk down on about the ps3..

killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killaj2786
[QUOTE="killaj2786"]

[QUOTE="elementz28"]of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them..lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..shungokustasu

What blu-ray problems? link or you lieing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/11/dragons-lair-may-foil-your-blu-ray-player/

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/02/playstation-3-1-51-update-fixes-blu-ray-pausing/

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/17/ps3s-blu-ray-drive-speed-could-be-reason-for-oblivion-delay/ 

meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#25 meischris39
Member since 2004 • 5432 Posts
[QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

choasgod

It's hard to do anything without the Cell, I mean this morning I was tying my shoes and I somehow ended up in Baghdad.

afterall they lack limitless power -- fear not though Gears are in motion and god will grant Gates a Halo as a symbol -- a symbol that God exists yet Bill Gates will call it - sign of the savior - the icon - the forerunner of Xbox ! ...

but onto the topic ... i think Microsoft is being honest and the failure rates arnt as high as people claim -- the only appear high compared to how low PS3 failure rate is and Wii failure rate. So its more of a sucess for SONY ( Nintendo Wii is like manufacturing a suped up Gamecube ... Nintendo knew in advance any problems they would face ) .... than failure for Microsoft ...

The 360 rates are more than High N4g reported that over 65% of 360's broke. 

killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killaj2786
[QUOTE="killaj2786"]

[QUOTE="elementz28"]of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them..lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..elementz28

yeah thats why sony is losing millions on the PS3 :roll: we got of plenty of games to play this year..what else you lemming are goin to bash when you got nothin else to talk down on about the ps3..

to play....we have enough to play...that's what i hear every cow say...let me tell u this...I have 10 360 games ( 6 exclusive or console exclusive) and 5-6 games( including 4 exclusives) anticipated befoe september(forza,darkness, mass effect, DiRt, blue Dragon, and bioshock)...what do u guys got....mutiplats til september( most that have already been p[layed on the 360)...yea the ps3 is so much better....

killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killaj2786
[QUOTE="choasgod"][QUOTE="thirstychainsaw"][QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

meischris39

afterall they lack limitless power -- fear not though Gears are in motion and god will grant Gates a Halo as a symbol -- a symbol that God exists yet Bill Gates will call it - sign of the savior - the icon - the forerunner of Xbox ! ...

The 360 rates are more than High N4g reported that over 65% of 360's broke.

U realize that's 6.5 million people.....u realize how stupid that is.... anything above 30%, MS wouldve recalled by now...it's more like 1( i think it's 10% not 5%) million...which is bad but when u considered 10 million sold......but relyin on a forum is not good.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 InsaneBasura

and everyone said the new technoligy on the PS3 would light up in flames :roll:

Solid-CELL

Isn't it ironic, dontcha think? IT'S LIKE RAAAHEEEAAAAAAIN!!11 

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 InsaneBasura

My 360 manufactured in February disagrees. Unless you were referring to this specific scratching issue. 

Educated_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Educated_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1095 Posts
Mine works fine. I could honestly care less about other people's problems of stupidity.
killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 killaj2786
[QUOTE="killaj2786"]

[QUOTE="elementz28"]of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them..lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..InsaneBasura

My 360 manufactured in February disagrees. Unless you were referring to this specific scratching issue.

Yea...i was ...everyone needs to check the maf. date from now....cuz i seriously think any 360 made after march 2006 doesnt have problems( i have one from nov.2005 tho but it works ) 

ken_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#32 ken_gamer
Member since 2003 • 7522 Posts

thirstychainsaw
:lol:
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="killaj2786"]

Yea...i was ...everyone needs to check the maf. date from now....cuz i seriously think any 360 made after march 2006 doesnt have problems( i have one from nov.2005 tho but it works )

My second 360 from June 2006 disagrees. Unless you were talking about the disc scratching again. It only froze a bit though, never got the RLOD.

killaj2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 killaj2786
[QUOTE="killaj2786"][QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="killaj2786"]

[QUOTE="elementz28"]of course they are lying..everyone knows it..its jus the lemmin is the one who refuse to believe them..lol..i will never touch their system..i get it when its 250 the true worth of the 360 console..InsaneBasura

My second 360 from June 2006 disagrees. Unless you were talking about the disc scratching again. It only froze a bit though, never got the RLOD.

I said maf date not the month u brought it. U do realize there are still some from Nov 2005 somewhere.
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 InsaneBasura
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="killaj2786"][QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="killaj2786"]

I said maf date not the month u brought it. U do realize there are still some from Nov 2005 somewhere.

That was the manufacturing date. I received it in September. There are plenty of people having issues with 360's manufactured after March 2006.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

thirstychainsaw

you can't bring that issue up in this case, because MS's lies are being used here to make a point about how they are not better than Sony/Nintendo

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

i hve 2 360s, no probs with either.. they must've been blessed with holywater before i bought them or something.Kook18

why do you have two? is one a spare? that is a good idea man! ;)

Zenkuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Zenkuso
Member since 2006 • 4090 Posts

I get the one red light every now and then but i don't care because restarting fixes it with ease, other then that i've only ever had one game get stratched and that was gears of war (accidently bumped the console). My console hasn't had any problems besides those, i can't deny that others haven't had problems because i know about three people that have had theres break and been over to fix them to get them working again.

It isn't the greatest made console but considering i lost my first ps2 in 4months and this things still going at 9months later, we'll its probably just luck or the fact i don't play it constantly and have it plugged into power constantly. 

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
360 scratching discs when it's at an angle makes no sense and is a serious design flaw. There shouldn't be anything in there that could do that in the first place. It's not like you read DVDs with a needle for christs sake. And the total system failures is just pathetic.... 360's run far too hot that causes circuits to degrade over time. It's enevitable that they will be unreliable and die fast until a major design change like the 65nm cpu.
Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

I think disc-scratching is a very rare problem. I've never had it. I dont know anyone who's ever had it, and the majority ARE from fools who move their 360 while it's on. I think the concern they SHOULD be testing here is the 3 red lights. I've had it twice, my buddy's had it; loads of people have had it. That's the REAL problem.Ninja-Vox

Did you read about the test conducted 3 inches above your post? Or did you ignroe it? 

prate20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 prate20
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Any system that gets overplayed by you rich kids is going to give sooner or later, doesn't matter if its a PS3, 360, or wii. The wii and ps3 haven't been out long enough for us to see all there problems, and give them the amount of time the 360 has been out and you will hear the adequate whining by then and only then can we compare.  And about companies lying is anyone really surprised?  Cause if you are your lying.  I've had my 360 for a year, never had a problem with it, sure its froze, but any system i've ever had has froze, I remember when my damn super nintendo froze, you get over it.  In 5 years we can sit here and have a good convo about this but I do know that the xbox will still be going strong then only cause Bill Gates is willing to pump money into that and he has enough to make it a good system in the long run.  That and I had a helluva time saving up for 360, its hard to actually work and still have nice crap sometimes maybe companies should keep that in mind while pricing.
Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

[QUOTE="Kook18"]i hve 2 360s, no probs with either.. they must've been blessed with holywater before i bought them or something.Mordred19

why do you have two? is one a spare? that is a good idea man! ;)

nah, i got my second one as a deal, mom & pop electronics store was going out of business & they were selling everything at a discount, i miss that guy, he modded my ps2 :(
ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#43 ish_gibbor
Member since 2004 • 1717 Posts

I bought my 360 a year after launch is died right away. Not red lights, the disk drive would no longer read disk. Now this new one is crapping out. It is starting to not read disk. I am thinking they built a poor disk drive.

But why do I have to be one of the unlucky ones. None of my other systems ever broke. They worked for years until I got rid of them. My atari, NES, SNES, Playstation, Playstation 2

All worked fantastic for years and years. I enjoy the 360, I like the controller better than the ps3, yes I have played ps3. And I enjoy the games, but dang they better fix it and it better never break again.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 InsaneBasura

Any system that gets overplayed by you rich kids is going to give sooner or later, doesn't matter if its a PS3, 360, or wii.prate20

I just love the stupid excuses/explanations/damage control people come up with to protect their console of choice. Usually it's "lol stoopid fnaboys makin up leis!!1 teh conspiracy!!!" or "lol stupid ppl stuffing thier console in teh oven and pouring ice craem on it!1"

This one is kind of new. That they break because people use them too much. I hope you realize that these things are meant to be used? I hope you agree that if it breaks when used, that is the fault of the console, not of the person using it?

The wii and ps3 haven't been out long enough for us to see all there problems, and give them the amount of time the 360 has been out and you will hear the adequate whining by then and only then can we compare.prate20

Or you could compare the PSWii's first five months with the360's ... Really, if you're trying to deny or defend the 360's obvious hardware quality issues, just stop. Here's the sequel to the NeoGAF thread.