MGS3 Scored 8.6... Does that mean its not AAA?!?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigBoss5777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BigBoss5777
Member since 2006 • 569 Posts
One thing I notice in these forums is how people base their opinion just on ratings for games.  For instance Gamespot gave MGS3 a 8.6 and why?!?! This game in my book deserved ATLEAST a 9.2 if not more. I mean I see them give games like Kameo and PDZ over a 9.0 rating and yet a MasterPiece such as MGS3 gets a 8.6?!?  Even 360 fanboys have to agree thats pretty low for MGS3.  MGS3 is easily a AAA title, Gamespot gave it 8.6  so what. What really bugged me about that review is how they said such wonderful things about the game and the ONLY complaint they had was the camera angle (which wasnt that bad if you ask me) so the camera angle is enough to knock a score down that low?!?! lol gimme a break.  People need to rethink quality of games and quit basing it off flawed rating systems and just enjoy the game for what its worth.
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
Of course It's not AAA here. But it's better to me than most AAA released that year. At least he gave Subsistence AAA in a dubious review.
surid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 surid
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts
and gamespot cares about your opinion why ?:|
Resident_Fan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Resident_Fan_
Member since 2004 • 591 Posts
and gamespot cares about your opinion why ?:|surid

i was about to say the same :lol:
omarguy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 omarguy01
Member since 2004 • 8139 Posts
one's opinion of a game >>> review
outbreak201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6 outbreak201
Member since 2005 • 8372 Posts
i already predicted it to be AAA in my sig....im right cause i predicted 9.0 on mgs: po ....to anyone that says its not going to be an AAA...lol at LoZ: tp 
Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rip870
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

The reviewers doesn't know **** I don't understand why people are listening to them. And now before people start to flame me answer me this. Name one school that educates reviewers, thats right there are none, they are just

some guys that wasn't able to get into a journalist school. So they had to write reviews instead

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

The reviewers doesn't know **** I don't understand why people are listening to them. And now before people start to flame me answer me this. Name one school that educates reviewers, thats right there are none, they are just

some guys that wasn't able to get into a journalist school. So they had to write reviews instead

Rip870
Reviewers do know what there talking about but that doesnt mean it should convince someone to buy or not buy a game. Trying the game out yourself is the best way, i never go by reviewers responses because whether we like to believe it or not alot of games get biased reviews. A gamer should be his/her own critic, imo gs reviewers are only good for SW "ownage"
CQCmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 CQCmasta
Member since 2006 • 724 Posts
wasnt it 8.7? anyways alot of other sites gave it 10s or near 10s like ign and 1up Gamespots review was very odd

look at this
Gamepro 5/5
Gamespy 5/5
IGN 9.6
1up 9.5
PSM Mag 10
OPM 5/5
And not only that all those reviews forgave the restriced camera in MGS3.
CQCmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 CQCmasta
Member since 2006 • 724 Posts
i already predicted it to be AAA in my sig....im right cause i predicted 9.0 on mgs: po ....to anyone that says its not going to be an AAA...lol at LoZ: tp outbreak201

LoL u so owned those guys.
Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rip870

wasnt it 8.7? anyways alot of other sites gave it 10s or near 10s like ign and 1up Gamespots review was very odd

look at this
Gamepro 5/5
Gamespy 5/5
IGN 9.6
1up 9.5
PSM Mag 10
OPM 5/5
CQCmasta

Zelda TP is another good example when gamespot did a bad review

Avatar image for Bleach_is_basic
Bleach_is_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bleach_is_basic
Member since 2002 • 3020 Posts
...(which wasnt that bad if you ask me)...BigBoss5777
I don't think anyone IS asking you. We know your opinion. Anything attached to the PlayStation brand is Holy and must be praised. Anything else is rubbish and you "aren't that hyped for it" like Assassin's Creed. Why aren't you excited for that game? Oh yeah, that's right...because it's also coming out on the Xbox 360. What do you think of UT3 BigBoss?
vistamanV5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 vistamanV5
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts

look at this
Gamepro 5/5
Gamespy 5/5
IGN 9.6
1up 9.5
PSM Mag 10
OPM 5/5
CQCmasta
Will that is true that other site rated it higher. Gamespot reviews are the standard on this forum, and they are the basis for flops and ownage and AAA titles. So to anwser then TC question. No its not a AAA, its a high AA.
vistamanV5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vistamanV5
Member since 2005 • 957 Posts

[QUOTE="CQCmasta"]wasnt it 8.7? anyways alot of other sites gave it 10s or near 10s like ign and 1up Gamespots review was very odd

look at this
Gamepro 5/5
Gamespy 5/5
IGN 9.6
1up 9.5
PSM Mag 10
OPM 5/5
Rip870

Zelda TP is another good example when gamespot did a bad review

Thats dumb, there cant be a bad reviews, its someone personal opinion.
choasgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 choasgod
Member since 2005 • 5710 Posts
[QUOTE="CQCmasta"]wasnt it 8.7? anyways alot of other sites gave it 10s or near 10s like ign and 1up Gamespots review was very odd

look at this
Gamepro 5/5
Gamespy 5/5
IGN 9.6
1up 9.5
PSM Mag 10
OPM 5/5
vistamanV5
Will that is true that other site rated it higher. Gamespot reviews are the standard on this forum, and they are the basis for flops and ownage and AAA titles. So to anwser then TC question. No its not a AAA, its a high AA.

no MGS3 is AAA here -- Subsistance got AAA ... the reason MGS3:snake eater didnt get AAA is becuase GS didnt like the fixed cameras' - that goes and boom its a AAA game ...
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
As much as I liked the game, I can definitely understand that a bad camera work is definitely enough to bring a game down. No matter how awsome it is. And aren't you basing your opinion on the rating of the game? Your "atleast 9.2" proves it. Just take confort in your mind that the game only got that review because of camera work, if that is not so important to you why should anyone that fits into this situation care.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
Well Subsistence got AAA so I'm happy they finally recognized how amazing MGS3 is.
CWKruger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CWKruger
Member since 2007 • 28 Posts
HEY this man know what he is talking about. MGS3 was my best game and it got a low score. This is what we need: people with brains.. Hey gamespot is my fovourite games website but i hope MGS4 gets a better score.
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
so basically what you're saying is, you think you're better at reviewing games than gamespot is.

actually, you probably are.
silverjiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silverjiken
Member since 2005 • 2162 Posts

nope MGS3 flopped big time,

but then MGS3 Sub was AAA

gsx1100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gsx1100
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
They gave MGS Subsitance a AAA score,I haven't Snake Eater so I dont know how different they are.I'm playing MGS3 Susistance now and I think its a amazing ,Hideo Kojima is a genuis.
Moonlight-AB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Moonlight-AB
Member since 2006 • 648 Posts

MGS is a AAA series no doubt, MGS3 was just underscored but MGS3 subsistance got AAA.

MGS4 will be a 9.7 at Gamespot because it will be the first game to showcase PS3's amazing capabilities, like MGS2 for PS2 which got a 9.6 at gamespot.

p.s. read the sig :D

Illumination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Illumination
Member since 2005 • 2109 Posts
One thing I notice in these forums is how people base their opinion just on ratings for games. For instance Gamespot gave MGS3 a 8.6 and why?!?! This game in my book deserved ATLEAST a 9.2 if not more. I mean I see them give games like Kameo and PDZ over a 9.0 rating and yet a MasterPiece such as MGS3 gets a 8.6?!? Even 360 fanboys have to agree thats pretty low for MGS3. MGS3 is easily a AAA title, Gamespot gave it 8.6 so what. What really bugged me about that review is how they said such wonderful things about the game and the ONLY complaint they had was the camera angle (which wasnt that bad if you ask me) so the camera angle is enough to knock a score down that low?!?! lol gimme a break. People need to rethink quality of games and quit basing it off flawed rating systems and just enjoy the game for what its worth.BigBoss5777

That score is not low for MGS3 cause MGS3 was still using ps1 gameplay mechanics & camera from the first game that have never been updated. IF a game is 9.0 it HAS to do something new & interesting, MGS3 was jsut a rehash of the same ol same ol with nothing new.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15969 Posts
MGS3 is not AAA. Get over it.
shungokustasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shungokustasu
Member since 2004 • 7190 Posts
What makes a game reviewer a professional? that word gets trhown around a lot. What makes his opinion professional and ours average?
yuna707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yuna707
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
MGS 3 kinda reminds me of you know LOZ:TP. Great game TP was, but was technically lacking. GS isn't like those other Sissy websites, handing out AAA like pensions! A game has to be technically proficient to get AAA. Yeah I said it. Go flame me sheep and MGS lovers.
project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 project343
Member since 2005 • 14106 Posts
Kameo didn't get over a 9.0. And what other games 'like Kameo' have gotten over a 9.0 (other then Zelda)? :?
Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#28 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5166 Posts
MGS3 Sub. got a 9.0. Thats tripple A.
Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rip870

MGS 3 kinda reminds me of you know LOZ:TP. Great game TP was, but was technically lacking. GS isn't like those other Sissy websites, handing out AAA like pensions! A game has to be technically proficient to get AAA. Yeah I said it. Go flame me sheep and MGS lovers.yuna707

yeah that why they gave PDZ  9.0:lol::lol::lol:

yuna707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 yuna707
Member since 2004 • 562 Posts
I can name much worse serial offenders. Cough IGN, gamepro, gamespy, EGM e.t.c
danneswegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 danneswegman
Member since 2005 • 12937 Posts
what grade would you give yourself?
OPbarfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 OPbarfer
Member since 2006 • 202 Posts

I barely played MGS3, but from what I've seen I think 8.6 is pretty fair.  The story gets pretty melodramatic early on, which is not a good thing.  And what's with the guy that turns the bees into guns?  I mean, I was willing to suspend disbelief with guys like Psycho Mantis and Raven, but Mr. Bee Guy?  Gimme' a break.  From what I could see of the gameplay (I only played some of the early stages, watched other people play some of the later stuff), it's kinda' like MGS2 only a lot more detailed.

Now, I don't think MGS4 will get AAA reviews either, unless it's really really spectacular.  This is basically because since MGS2, Kojima-san has made a habit of overhyping his games.  He does this by not showing any gameplay from these games for the longest time, conceding to interviews in which he answers few actual questions about the game, and makes cryptic statements which give you little information about how the game will play.  This is understandable, but it raises peoples' expectations for these games so high that they'll never meet them.  Look at MGS2 for example.  Up until the game was released, all we got to see where some movies and screenshots.  These typically depicted Snake doing something really cool like hanging from a ceiling pipe, descending on an unsuspecting guard.  This is cool, but you can't do it in the game.  This wouldn't be a problem either, except you were expecting to be able to do it because Kojima wouldn't give anything away, but would show stuff like this.  Then when the game game out it was a huge disappointment.  Sure, the gameplay itself was pretty good, being a logical progression from the last game, but everything else just flat out sucked.  Even though the game was supposed to be much more realistic, the guards still walked around with punctuation floating above their heads, had a field of vision that extended only three feet, and still did retarded stuff that was just and excuse to give the player a challenge (What military commander has his audience excercise to relieve boredom during a presentation?  And who excercises by turning around over and over? Stupid).  The story.... well, don't even get me started.  It's an overly convoluted, incomprehensible mess.  It's a good game, but not as good as Kojima made us think it would be.  Same thing with MGS3.  Cool graphics, Vietnam-ish environments, no Raiden.  Should be the best thing since sliced bread, right?  Well, not quite.  However, any game that gets an 8.0 or higher on Gamespot is considered great.  The word GREAT in a review would lead me to believe it's a pretty game.  So what's the problem?

gtx-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gtx-1
Member since 2007 • 901 Posts
and gamespot cares about your opinion why ?:|surid

Or we can reverse that: We care about Gamespot's opinion...why?
mmogoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 mmogoon
Member since 2006 • 7311 Posts
one's opinion of a game >>> reviewomarguy01
Reviews from people who do this for a living >>> mine or your opinion
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
MGS3 and Kameo both scored 8.7 here.

Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mass_Effect
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts
MGS3 deserved a much higher score than what it got. 8.6 is just too low for the brilliant game that MGS3 was
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
[QUOTE="omarguy01"]one's opinion of a game >>> reviewmmogoon
Reviews from people who do this for a living >>> mine or your opinion

Reviews from people who do this for a living -> more skewed than the typical gamer?
DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
I thought MGS3 was better than MGS2 but it still doesn't touch MGS1.
KodiakGTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KodiakGTS
Member since 2003 • 1262 Posts
I know that I try to base my opinions about AAA status on more than just Gamespot rankings.  I mean, after all, it is just one site, and Gamespot's view is hardly paramount.  Gamerankings has the average for MGS3 well above 90%, so yes, I think it was AAA.
Anxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Anxz
Member since 2003 • 629 Posts
MGS3 was boring imo. I was very excited to play it but when I finally got the game from a friend, I only played like 2 hours then gave it back. 
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
[QUOTE="surid"]and gamespot cares about your opinion why ?:|gtx-1

Or we can reverse that: We care about Gamespot's opinion...why?

Hmmm why are you here then lvl 4 poster?
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
[QUOTE="BigBoss5777"]One thing I notice in these forums is how people base their opinion just on ratings for games. For instance Gamespot gave MGS3 a 8.6 and why?!?! This game in my book deserved ATLEAST a 9.2 if not more. I mean I see them give games like Kameo and PDZ over a 9.0 rating and yet a MasterPiece such as MGS3 gets a 8.6?!? Even 360 fanboys have to agree thats pretty low for MGS3. MGS3 is easily a AAA title, Gamespot gave it 8.6 so what. What really bugged me about that review is how they said such wonderful things about the game and the ONLY complaint they had was the camera angle (which wasnt that bad if you ask me) so the camera angle is enough to knock a score down that low?!?! lol gimme a break. People need to rethink quality of games and quit basing it off flawed rating systems and just enjoy the game for what its worth.Illumination77

That score is not low for MGS3 cause MGS3 was still using ps1 gameplay mechanics & camera from the first game that have never been updated. IF a game is 9.0 it HAS to do something new & interesting, MGS3 was jsut a rehash of the same ol same ol with nothing new.

Like LoZ: TP?
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts
What makes a game reviewer a professional? that word gets trhown around a lot. What makes his opinion professional and ours average?shungokustasu

I think because they get paid to do that. Review games I mean. I could be wrong.
deviates1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deviates1080
Member since 2006 • 1926 Posts

The reviewers doesn't know **** I don't understand why people are listening to them. And now before people start to flame me answer me this. Name one school that educates reviewers, thats right there are none, they are just

some guys that wasn't able to get into a journalist school. So they had to write reviews instead

Rip870

^^ An excellent reason to take the opinion of a Gamespot reviewer over that of yours.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
PDZ > MGS3 imo... Kameo > MGS3 imo...
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts

look at this
Gamepro 5/5
Gamespy 5/5
IGN 9.6
1up 9.5
PSM Mag 10
OPM 5/5
Rip870

Am i the only one that agrees with that review? its the same game that came out 10 years ago
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
[QUOTE="Rip870"]

halfnaked
Am i the only one that agrees with that review? its the same game that came out 10 years ago

I think it deserved AA, it's just a Gamecube game with "Wii-optimized" controls. The Gamecube version should've been AAA though.
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
Your point? LoZ: TP didn't get AAA either.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Sure it isn't AAA. I don't like stealth games, but it's still a good game. Not as good as Perfect Dark Zero though. :D