Metroid Prime.. Surpasses everything this gen in atmosphere!!

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Everyone goes on about graphics improving atmosphere and immersion but last week i brought the MP Trilogy (£20) and have to totally disagree. No other game has that feeling of solitude and having the world upon your shouldersjust like Metroid Prime even to this date.The only other game which had amtosphere in the samemagnitude asMP would be 2 classic games of Resident Evil (GC) and Silent Hill (PSX), RE added atmosphere from doing bad camera angles which worked for me and Silent Hill just from eerieness like Radio making squeeking noises and so on. I cannot wait to play MP2: Echoes as i never got round to it and MP3 Atmosphere is more in lines of a big action lflick.

iBear-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 iBear-
Member since 2010 • 1092 Posts

I played it in the trilogy too, and it's fun, but there's a friggen ton of backtracking, the whole game is basically back tracking. Definetly would've liked it more back when it was released but w/e

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

A lot of people highly dislike Echoes, but I personally thought it was a far better game than Prime (since Prime was essentially Super Metroid in 3D) because it took the Prime series in a unique direction that was more Retro than cIassic Nintendo. Corruption isn't nearly as good as Prime or Echoes, but it has a few good moments. It is almost entirely unmemorable compared to the other two as well.

I personally would put STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl on top when it comes to atmosphere. Prime and Echoes were good, but when it comes to immersion STALKER took the cake. I'd also throw Mass Effect 1 and 2 up there as well.

Disturbed123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Disturbed123
Member since 2005 • 1665 Posts

Never liked the series TBH

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

A lot of people highly dislike Echoes, but I personally thought it was a far better game than Prime (since Prime was essentially Super Metroid in 3D) because it took the Prime series in a unique direction that was more Retro than cIassic Nintendo. Corruption isn't nearly as good as Prime or Echoes, but it has a few good moments. It is almost entirely unmemorable compared to the other two as well.

I personally would put STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl on top when it comes to atmosphere. Prime and Echoes were good, but when it comes to immersion STALKER took the cake. I'd also throw Mass Effect 1 and 2 up there as well.

foxhound_fox

Thought i'd play all 3 from 1 > 3. Keep meaning to play ME 1,2. Will buy them soon enough after iv gotten rid of some games as i've got a backlist like as long as great wall of china.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#6 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
System Wars definition of atmospheric - a game in which the main character does not talk and is alone in an alien/post apocalyptic/derlict world/ship/city. The less talking the more atmospheric. System wars scale of atmosphere Half-Life 2(an important rule of system wars is to make sure Half-Life 2 is always on top)>Metroid Prime>everything else Personally I found Dead Space more atmospheric. When I used menus the world around me didn't suddenly freeze and I didn't have to constantly scan everything.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I agree. BioShock and (especially) BioShock 2) come close. Also Dead Space is very atmospheric. Gears 2 can be quite atmospheric in certain parts. RDR and AC2 deserve a mention, too. Especially Assassin's Creed 2. there are parts that are simply breathtaking.
Jamani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Jamani
Member since 2004 • 1782 Posts
Mass Effect 2 says nah uh.....
ChaltierX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChaltierX
Member since 2009 • 1128 Posts

That would have to go to Demon's Souls.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl, Metro2033, Cryostasis, Bioshock, Condemned: Criminla Origins(ok guilty pick here) have the atmosphere to roll with a Metroid Prime and Prime 2. That said yes the Prime series(more specifically the first 2 prime games) are my pick for most atmopsheric games. That said we've had plenty of games that have good atmosphere or ambiance to their game world. Just not enough pure gems in that department.
svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

BioShock 1 and 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum and S.T.A.L.K.E.R win the prize.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

Prime was the bomb in atmosphere, but uh...

And even then I don't think it surpasses...

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mo0ksi

Especially Assassin's Creed 2. there are parts that are simply breathtaking.IronBass
I just finished it a couple days ago. A chilling finale, and I agree it had a great atmosphere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Metroid Prime is indeed fantastic (with Echoes being better, screw you haters), but in atmosphere? It's close.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp

Stuff about SS2 mo0ksi

I'd take the two Prime games over System shock 2. Oh yeah....I went there.

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

The first two Metroid Prime games blew me away, and the second is the best in my opinion. The whole Grass, Sand, Lava, Ice, Water thing in MP1 is a bit of a Nintendo cliché. The third was a massive step backwards though. It was as if they forgot what the Prime series was all about in the first place and they just tried to recreate Halo 2/3 on the Wii instead.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

stalker and bioshock say otherwise.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Metroid Prime was awesome! :P I'd agree with you but to be honest it's probably the nostalgia more than anything. I think if i actually went back and played it it wouldn't quite live up to the lofty bar set by current get graphics.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jg4xchamp
Metroid Prime was awesome! :P I'd agree with you but to be honest it's probably the nostalgia more than anything. I think if i actually went back and played it it wouldn't quite live up to the lofty bar set by current get graphics. Ninja-Hippo
Bullcrap. Prime 2 holds up nicely. The art design is distinct enough to make the game look good to this day, and from a design standpoint few games embrace their atmosphere quite like the first two prime games do. Graphics got nicer, environments got darker, and presentation has evolved, but man do some developers know how to kill the mood with stupid ideas.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mo0ksi

[QUOTE="mo0ksi"] Stuff about SS2 jg4xchamp

I'd take the two Prime games over System shock 2. Oh yeah....I went there.

That's fine. In a backwards universe anyway :P

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Metroid Prime was awesome! :P I'd agree with you but to be honest it's probably the nostalgia more than anything. I think if i actually went back and played it it wouldn't quite live up to the lofty bar set by current get graphics. jg4xchamp
Bullcrap. Prime 2 holds up nicely. The art design is distinct enough to make the game look good to this day, and from a design standpoint few games embrace their atmosphere quite like the first two prime games do. Graphics got nicer, environments got darker, and presentation has evolved, but man do some developers know how to kill the mood with stupid ideas.

I loved the art style in Prime. We rarely get anything like that this gen to be honest. Halo is probably as close as it gets, but it's still far off. Too much realism and grit out there in modern games. In terms of atmosphere however, i think current gen games have really stepped the game up in that department.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I always thought the games were boring as anything and the atmosphere was hardly anything to remember. STALKER, Metro, and Bioshock still rank supreme in the atmosphere department.
hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
For me Dead Space had a better sense of atmosphere than Metroid Prime
Kandlegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kandlegoat
Member since 2009 • 3147 Posts

That would have to go to Demon's Souls.

ChaltierX

King's Field's atmosphere is far superior to Demon's Souls.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#25 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

You can't argue which atmosphere is "better". It's all personal taste. Metroid Prime, Bioshock, Dead Space, Silent Hill 1-3, Demon's Souls all have amazing atmosphere, atleast for me.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Metroid Prime was awesome! :P I'd agree with you but to be honest it's probably the nostalgia more than anything. I think if i actually went back and played it it wouldn't quite live up to the lofty bar set by current get graphics. Ninja-Hippo

I loved the art style in Prime. We rarely get anything like that this gen to be honest. Halo is probably as close as it gets, but it's still far off. Too much realism and grit out there in modern games. In terms of atmosphere however, i think current gen games have really stepped the game up in that department.

They have from a visual side of things, but its in the gameplay that kills the mood a bit.

ODST for instance. Nice and moody when you're the rookie, flashback and it's halo again. Not that the ambiance is killed, but still it's not a constant.

Dead Space good atmosphere, backed up with repetition and bland boss battles. Not to mention that you have an artilary of weapons that would make the army a bit jealous.

Alan Wake. I love the forrest effect and everything, but does the game have to literally tell me "people about to come kill you son" when it does that wierd wind effect or pan out and tell me where everyone is at.

In the case of Prime(and screw you mooksi Metroid Prime 1+2> System Shock 2. YOU SUCK!! :P ) the game never goes away from its over encompassing atmosphere. Sure there is the stupidity of losing all your crap and then having to find it again(really Nintendo? really?) but every other aspect of the game works. The story is told through the game design and all the lore you have to find yourself(which stil falls under one of the most unique ways to tell a plot in a game) and the game itself is filled with enough variety to never actually get stale. Plus valve should take some lessons this is how you do a good puzzle in a First Person game valve. Your gravity gun puzzles are LAME!!!

Anyway the music added to the ambiance nicely, the plot was told strictly through the game and how you were playing(basically there was a story, but the player had to go figure out what it is), and it's a game that never sacrifices the mood it is going for. It's not the same type of atmosphere of a horror game or anything like SS2 or Eternal Darkness where it just wants to spook you(also penalty flag on everyone for not mentioning Eternal Darkness). It's just about setting a tone of solitude, and one mysterious environment where you don't know what the **** is going on. In that sense Prime holds up nicely, and as a game it shames so many of the games this gen. ofcourse you can add this entire cluttered mess of a post to my Metroid bias :P

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
You can't argue which atmosphere is "better". It's all personal taste. Master_ShakeXXX
Actually, that's exactly why we can argue about it. You can't argue facts (that's why they are facts).
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp
Oh and Penumbra. I love me some Penumbra. None of that in your face horror with the startle scares. It's generally just creepy and eerie. Keeps the game nice and tense without having to get all up in your grill about it.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ninja-Hippo

ofcourse you can add this entire cluttered mess of a post to my Metroid bias :P

jg4xchamp
I think Metroid Prime for me at least is up there with Half Life as one of those games which i will always insist is better than anything else on the market, even ten years from now when it looks and plays like crap. :P
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

foxhound_fox

I agree with you on STALKER, but Mass Effect is such a lame world, imo. I really cannot get into those games at all. However, I really enjoyed Dead Space with the lights turned off and my speakers on loud. It reminded me of my experience with Prime and Prime 2. In all, I agree with the TC that a game has not out done Prime with atmosphere in significant ways this gen.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Alan Wake has really great atmosphere but Metroid is close. The Feeling of isolation in Metroid is intense.

felipebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 felipebo
Member since 2009 • 4170 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

Ninja-Hippo

I think Metroid Prime for me at least is up there with Half Life as one of those games which i will always insist is better than anything else on the market, even ten years from now when it looks and plays like crap. :P

Agreed, the trilogy as a whole is awesome. Heck, I even liked Echoes.

Krayzie_3334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Krayzie_3334
Member since 2006 • 1303 Posts

Disagrees.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

felipebo

Echoes is arguably the best of the bunch :? Corruption. Now that is a bastard child to an extent..
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kansasdude2009

The first two Metroid Prime games blew me away, and the second is the best in my opinion. The whole Grass, Sand, Lava, Ice, Water thing in MP1 is a bit of a Nintendo cliché. The third was a massive step backwards though. It was as if they forgot what the Prime series was all about in the first place and they just tried to recreate Halo 2/3 on the Wii instead.

WasntAvailable
The game is much, MUCH better than Halo 2 and 3. I recommend going back, because Prime 3 really has some beautiful moments. That, and the pacing is pretty phenomenal. It's just too bad they focused more on shooting and less on non-linear exploration and discovery. Prime 1 and 2 are better.
primitive013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 primitive013
Member since 2003 • 1422 Posts
demon's souls by a mile
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

Ehhhh I disagree. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were both more atmospheric than 3, especially 2, and they were lats gen so they don't count. Even so, none of the Trilogy, especially not MP3, even compares in atmosphere to Batman: Arkham Asylum or Demon's Souls. Still amazing games though.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
[QUOTE="felipebo"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] I think Metroid Prime for me at least is up there with Half Life as one of those games which i will always insist is better than anything else on the market, even ten years from now when it looks and plays like crap. :Pjg4xchamp

Echoes is arguably the best of the bunch :? Corruption. Now that is a bastard child to an extent..

Bastard child ya, but a very talented bastard child. It was awkward, it didn't follow the standard Metroid Prime formula, had too much interplanetary traveling, and was a bit more linear, but I thought it was just as great. Liked it a little better than the original Metroid Prime and almost as much as Echoes.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kansasdude2009
[QUOTE="felipebo"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] I think Metroid Prime for me at least is up there with Half Life as one of those games which i will always insist is better than anything else on the market, even ten years from now when it looks and plays like crap. :Pjg4xchamp

I know why it's considered the worst, but I don't know why everyone thinks of it as a bad experience. I honestly had a better time with Prime 3 than I did with most all games this generation save a few. It's not as good as Prime 1 and 2, but it finishes the story well and most all locations are just gorgeous. I wish there was more tension and less action, but still... with the Wii-mote that good, I'm still not complaining.
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

The game looks and feels fantastic. (the trilogy version is even better) It Prime has the best atmosphere of any game I've ever played. I didn't really like 2 though and 3 was okay. The area right were you land on Talon IV is absolutly spectacular

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kansasdude2009

Ehhhh I disagree. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 were both more atmospheric than 3, especially 2, and they were lats gen so they don't count. Even so, none of the Trilogy, especially not MP3, even compares in atmosphere to Batman: Arkham Asylum or Demon's Souls. Still amazing games though.

oldkingallant
As much as I love B:AA, it's nowhere near the inventiveness of the Prime trilogy. Sorry, man... but it's a poor man's Prime. :P I have not played Demon's Souls... :cry:
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
The atmosphere in Metroid Prime is great but the one in STALKER is better.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="felipebo"]

kansasdude2009

I know why it's considered the worst, but I don't know why everyone thinks of it as a bad experience. I honestly had a better time with Prime 3 than I did with most all games this generation save a few. It's not as good as Prime 1 and 2, but it finishes the story well and most all locations are just gorgeous. I wish there was more tension and less action, but still... with the Wii-mote that good, I'm still not complaining.

First complaint the story

A- the voice acting sucks
B- the dialogue sucks
C- The writing is all around bad, and the plot is just rather weak.
D- They dropped the unique story telling of the Prime games for cutscenes. Who the **** approved that?

That out of the way the rest of the game just dropped off. The Boss fights were nowhere near as creative nor as challenging as the stuff in the first 2 prime games. To the point where one of the bosses might as well have a billboard on him saying "Shoot me right here". The interplanetary movement killed the whole one giant envrionment vibe the games usually aim for. It went too far into shooter territory, and less about the exploration and atmosphere.

More importantly sequence breaking. There are aspects of Prime 3 where they actually try to halt the sequence breaking. Either way I agree the game is actually good for the most part. It's nice and varied, and compared to what we got this gen the boss fights are good. Just not good by Metroid standards.

Prime 3 is to The Prime Trilogy what Godfather 3 is to the Godfather trilogy. It's good, but good just isn't good enough when the first 2 are cIassics.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="felipebo"]

oldkingallant

Bastard child ya, but a very talented bastard child. It was awkward, it didn't follow the standard Metroid Prime formula, had too much interplanetary traveling, and was a bit more linear, but I thought it was just as great. Liked it a little better than the original Metroid Prime and almost as much as Echoes.

I admit the bastard child comment is a bit hard, but meh I'll take the two prime games over Prime 3.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#45 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

. No other game has that feeling of solitude and having the world upon your shoulders .

Dibdibdobdobo
failure for not mentioning STALKER.
gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

i agree.

other games with good atmosphere are:

halo:CE(in most parts9

bioshock

metroid prime 2:P

metro 2033

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

First complaint the story

A- the voice acting sucks
B- the dialogue sucks
C- The writing is all around bad, and the plot is just rather weak.
D- They dropped the unique story telling of the Prime games for cutscenes. Who the **** approved that?

That out of the way the rest of the game just dropped off. The Boss fights were nowhere near as creative nor as challenging as the stuff in the first 2 prime games. To the point where one of the bosses might as well have a billboard on him saying "Shoot me right here". The interplanetary movement killed the whole one giant envrionment vibe the games usually aim for. It went too far into shooter territory, and less about the exploration and atmosphere.

More importantly sequence breaking. There are aspects of Prime 3 where they actually try to halt the sequence breaking. Either way I agree the game is actually good for the most part. It's nice and varied, and compared to what we got this gen the boss fights are good. Just not good by Metroid standards.

Prime 3 is to The Prime Trilogy what Godfather 3 is to the Godfather trilogy. It's good, but good just isn't good enough when the first 2 are cIassics.

jg4xchamp

I agree with all of this. The game was good, almost great, but it was a terrible "Metroid" game. Hopefully Other M will fix that.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Metroid Prime is good but i did'nt like the first one.
Plenty of other games that surpass Metroid Prime in terms of atmosphere.

Dead Space, Bioshock, Stalker Shawdow of Chernobyl, Silent Hill etc.

Half life 2 is the top by far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

More importantly sequence breaking. There are aspects of Prime 3 where they actually try to halt the sequence breaking.

jg4xchamp

To be fair with this point (I pretty much agree with everything else you said), the developers have done the same thing with Prime 1 and Prime 2. After Prime 1 released, and sequence breaks were found, the game went through some editting and later versions (like the Players Choice edition) had less sequence breaks and prevented them. In Prime 2, the mechanics of the game were tweaked from Prime 1 (though unnoticeable to most players) to attempt to stop sequence breaking, but that ultimately failed, and sequence breaks were possible (although many of them are incredibly hard).

Though both are still better than Prime 3 when it comes to breaking the game; Prime 3 has maybe one true item skip (sort of), and another one using secret worlds (that's incredibly slow and barely worth it).

And here I am, looking like a speed running nerd...>_>

WasntAvailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WasntAvailable
Member since 2008 • 5605 Posts

[QUOTE="WasntAvailable"]

kansasdude2009

The game is much, MUCH better than Halo 2 and 3. I recommend going back, because Prime 3 really has some beautiful moments. That, and the pacing is pretty phenomenal. It's just too bad they focused more on shooting and less on non-linear exploration and discovery. Prime 1 and 2 are better.

I disagree. I found the game got pretty tedious quickly. Some moments were cool, but it's atmosphere was ruined. The characters were absolutely terrible, much more so than Halo, and the environments were far too small to give any real feeling of scale or scope. The story was also terrible, and the voice acting was forced. Even though Halo 2/3 are not amazing, they still maintained more of a feeling of immersion and scale than MP3. I also found them more fun to play as well.