Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

Did they sort out the silly performance issues with 2033 (PC) in the Redux version?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@bldgirsh: Well I for one would wait untill the footage isn't so horribly compressed. Although the game runs at a solid 60fps on PS4 so I'm sure they reduced tesselation. I'd rather them max the effects and lock it at 30.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Yeah...I am more than happy with the PC copy I have now. Not going to be buying this redux.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54 highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@melonfarmerz said:

I actually lol'd. Fogstation is back. Also, why are Playstation's (3 and 4) colours always so grey and bland?

Next gen is here boys and girls

Oh man those comparison screens are so legit.

Wow this blurry mess proves what again?

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Somebody needs to adjust his/her tv settings.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
@parkurtommo said:

@lamprey263 said:

As for PS games looking washed out, as people mention, I think I read something recently that explained it. On the PS3 it was because under the systems RGB settings are default set to limited, and switching it to full makes a big difference. There's also some discussion if turning on super-white makes a difference in clarity. Anyhow, I wonder if the PS4 defaults those settings the same way, that'd explain the washed out look maybe.

That simply doesn't make sense. The people making these comparisons presumably have their shit together, so the RGB settings SHOULD be turned on. If not, then they're just incompetent (I highly doubt it).

Most people can easily overlook these settings, the default is set to limited, they have to manually be put on full (on PS3 anyways), if the PS4 defaults the video the same then yeah that's something that can be overlooked considering how deep down in menus the feature is buried and people probably don't even know to go look for it. The people making this video aren't pros, the sounds isn't synced to any of the two videos. It doesn't have any fancy tools looking at frames per second and whatnot.

I mean, just a show of hands, who here with a PS3/PS4 has or hasn't manually switched their RGB settings from limited to full and turned on the super white settings?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

The problem with this is that they changed the lighting in the Redux version so the PC version of Redux could have that washed out look too for all we know. You're comparing old with new on two different platforms

The PS4 version still looks good and runs at 60fps.

They made the redux version of Last Light less impressive than actual Last Light. What is this tom foolery?

Yes they did actually. They changed the lighting a lot and instead of having light sources they seem to have implemented global illumination which washes out everything. Some parts look decent but overall I think they harmed the original "gritty" look to the game

This also proves how silly the comparison in the OP is too because even the PC version of Redux looks kind of shitty. It's not just cos it's on PS4

Original PC version:

Redux PC version:

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

@ButDuuude said:

Somebody needs to adjust his/her tv settings.

That makes no sense when it's displayed on YOUR TV. Perhaps you mean capture settings. Adjust them yourself to compensate. It still won't bring back missing features and reduction of effects.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@seanmcloughlin: Maybe they misunderstood and Reduced it instead of Reduxed it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@mikhail said:

@seanmcloughlin: Maybe they misunderstood and Reduced it instead of Reduxed it.

They should have just Remastered it like everyone else is doing these days :P That would have fixed the problem

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@seanmcloughlin: I can't believe how bad the PC version looks in this comparison pics, though. Is that how they fixed the optimization problems from LL, by dumbing it down? Man...

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

@mikhail: no it's fixed and looks the same.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@mikhail said:

@seanmcloughlin: I can't believe how bad the PC version looks in this comparison pics, though. Is that how they fixed the optimization problems from LL, by dumbing it down? Man...

It seems to be the outdoor areas that are most affected. Whatever new lighting system they introduced it blooms the shit out of everything. This is one of the more serious examples of change, most other indoor shots aren't THAT different.

But yeah it's a bit weird to see it change that much

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@walloftruth said:

Lol, PC got Metro: Redux and PS4 got Metro: Reduced.

But it does look like that the PS4's color settings were on "LIMITED" instead of "FULL". I used to have the same problem with pretty much any PS4 game and changing that setting made quite a difference. But nonetheless, the PS4 version definitely has worse lighting and AA, and lower textures maybe.

See sean's post.

The pc version of redux apparently looks washed out as well.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#66 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

why would they make it look like that?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@-Unreal- said:

@m3dude1 said:

proper comparison until DF. as suspected the only real difference will be the ability to play at higher resolutions

Tesselation, volumetric lighting and PhysX (fog, sparks, glass shards, cloth physics, smoke, concrete debris/breakage) are either missing or noticeably reduced on PotatoStation 4 and PotatoBox One.

An they will be as well on any PC that is under PS4 performance which is sad, so what 88% of pc gamers will play it below PS4 performance,and wont care.? So why should we..?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@tormentos said:

@-Unreal- said:

@m3dude1 said:

proper comparison until DF. as suspected the only real difference will be the ability to play at higher resolutions

Tesselation, volumetric lighting and PhysX (fog, sparks, glass shards, cloth physics, smoke, concrete debris/breakage) are either missing or noticeably reduced on PotatoStation 4 and PotatoBox One.

An they will be as well on any PC that is under PS4 performance which is sad, so what 88% of pc gamers will play it below PS4 performance,and wont care.? So why should we..?

But you do care don't you.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@tormentos said:

@-Unreal- said:

@m3dude1 said:

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@tormentos said:

@-Unreal- said:

@m3dude1 said:

Tomato doesn't care when the PS4 looks bad, but cares quite alot when the PS4 does something better than the xb1.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@walloftruth said:

Lol, PC got Metro: Redux and PS4 got Metro: Reduced.

But it does look like that the PS4's color settings were on "LIMITED" instead of "FULL". I used to have the same problem with pretty much any PS4 game and changing that setting made quite a difference. But nonetheless, the PS4 version definitely has worse lighting and AA, and lower textures maybe.

As I posted above even the PC version got messed up in the transition. The comparison in the OP is meaningless because it's two different versions of the engine on two different platforms

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Just wait for digital foundry guys... They are the best at comparing games across platforms.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts
@m3dude1 said:
Loading Video...

nah.. the textures are still noticeably better on the PC.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

Yes they did actually. They changed the lighting a lot and instead of having light sources they seem to have implemented global illumination which washes out everything. Some parts look decent but overall I think they harmed the original "gritty" look to the game

This also proves how silly the comparison in the OP is too because even the PC version of Redux looks kind of shitty. It's not just cos it's on PS4

Original PC version:

Redux PC version:

Most of the stuff looks too bright because of the bloom and the excessive HDR. GI doesn't "wash out everything", although their implementation does cause some of the normal maps to lose their detail. Also, they could not have possibly removed light sources or otherwise the game would look all dark.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

@GTSaiyanjin2 said:

Just wait for digital foundry guys... They are the best at comparing games across platforms.

When they say the PC version is the obvious superior (which is 95% of their articles), M3DUDE still denies it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#76 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't care what the haters think I for one played Metro Last Light on the 360 and it was a buggy mess so I'm sure the game will look and run better on the Xbox One.

Day 1 buy.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#77 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@getyeryayasout: I'll have to make sure I don't play my console version directly next to someone playing the exact same part of the same game as I am on PC. A lot of people must play their consoles directly next to someone playing the same part of the same game on PC pretty often though. Seems like a real problem.

Lol I get that people like to measure the differences, but I agree with you. I play games, and sometimes there is someone in the world with a superior version of the game I'm playing. For some reason I don't give a shit.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

I await the magical console gen where 90% of games aren't better on PC!

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

People may complain and brag about the PC version "looking" better, but the Console versions are definitely VERY impressive imo. I have tried Metro on my GTX 760 and at ultra settings I get no where near 60 fps and at high I get between 40-60. The fact that they could optimize the console versions to run at 1080p and 60 fps is very impressive.

danlevm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By danlevm
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

@OhSnapitz said:
@m3dude1 said:
Loading Video...

nah.. the textures are still noticeably better on the PC.

this is exactly how they both look... I had mine running on my PC and then ps4 both on the same tv and the pc did have sharper textures but if you are sitting less than 5 feet away on a 55" tv you wont notice any difference...

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@melonfarmerz said:

I actually lol'd. Fogstation is back. Also, why are Playstation's (3 and 4) colours always so grey and bland?

Next gen is here boys and girls

Oh man those comparison screens are so legit.

lol

Those screens are so low quality you can clearly see the compression artifacts all over the place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@miiiiv said:

At least they aimed for 60fps in the ps4 version. If it's somewhat stable 60 fps it shouldn't bother anyone that they had to sacrifice some graphics quality. I don't think many console gamers actually would have preferred better graphics at 30 fps in a shooter.

And we have a Winner :D I can take worse Graphics if the frames is around the 60 mark.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83  Edited By RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

I've played Metro 2033 Redux on PC with max setting without AA. I would say I'm impressed. I like 2033 Redux better than original, that's my opinion. It does look so gorgeous and gameplay feels quite different, more fluid gameplay. I can't say anything about Last Light Redux since I haven't played it yet but I will.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

@RageQuit4Life said:

I've played Metro 2033 Redux on PC with max setting without AA. I would say I'm impressed. I like 2033 Redux better than original, that's my opinion. It does look so gorgeous and gameplay feels quite different, more fluid gameplay. I can't say anything about Last Light Redux since I haven't played it yet but I will.

I'm pretty sure the game automatically uses post process AA when you don't have super sampling enabled.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#85  Edited By RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts
@topgunmv said:

@RageQuit4Life said:

I'm pretty sure the game automatically uses post process AA when you don't have super sampling enabled.

I didn't see any jaggies in the game, I think you're right.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#86 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Same graphics. 1080/60 ps4 no problem. Game boring though, generic single player FPS games lol.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Didnt they devs said the pc version will look better?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@KillzoneSnake said:

Same graphics. 1080/60 ps4 no problem. Game boring though, generic single player FPS games lol.

First off, not the same graphics, secondly the game is not boring, and last but not least, a guy called KillzoneSnake bitching about an FPS being generic lol.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#89 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

#

@Snugenz said:

Did they sort out the silly performance issues with 2033 (PC) in the Redux version?

Yes, to an extent. They now gave a super sampling option of .5 instead of simply OFF, 2X, 3X and 4X. When I play it on .5 SMAA, I get 100+ frame rates on my 780. If I put it on 2X, I get about half that. So basically, you can get a happy medium of super sampling and really high frame rates, which looks better than with the feature turned off, but not as sharp as when it's doubled. I played the first 2 levels in 3D this morning and it looked decent at .5 SMAA. If I was playing without 3D, 2X looks dramatically sharper and I may actually do that. 100+ frame rate is nice, but perhaps not as nice as the sharper textures.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@m3dude1 said:
Loading Video...

Are we watching the same video?

Resolution is not the only difference. There's an obvious disparity in shadowing, either no SSAO for PS4 or if there is (hard to tell since it's so washed out), it's poor quality. Also once again, poor Anisotropic filtering on the PS4. What the hell is that? How is it that's it's 2014, with new consoles and games STILL have anywhere from 0 to a max of 8X anisotropic filtering? 16x is FREE on PC. Jeebus.

Finally, not sure if tessellation is integrated. Some of the normals look more detailed on PC, but that could be lack of tessellation on consoles, the washed out PS4 version or lack of anisotropic filtering, or lower res. who knows.

SteXmaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#91  Edited By SteXmaN
Member since 2012 • 550 Posts

PC

PS4(YT)

PC

PS4(YT)

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@Kinthalis said:

@m3dude1 said:
Loading Video...

Are we watching the same video?

Resolution is not the only difference. There's an obvious disparity in shadowing, either no SSAO for PS4 or if there is (hard to tell since it's so washed out), it's poor quality. Also once again, poor Anisotropic filtering on the PS4. What the hell is that? How is it that's it's 2014, with new consoles and games STILL have anywhere from 0 to a max of 8X anisotropic filtering? 16x is FREE on PC. Jeebus.

Finally, not sure if tessellation is integrated. Some of the normals look more detailed on PC, but that could be lack of tessellation on consoles, the washed out PS4 version or lack of anisotropic filtering, or lower res. who knows.

AFx16 is not 'FREE' on PC... Try running it on some mid to low range cards and you'll see a performance hit. Us PC gamers just have so much spare power that we just turn it on without even thinking about the performance hit.

It costs bandwidth and in a console with only so much bandwidth AFx16 is the last thing on the developers minds.

natsm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 natsm
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

@SteXmaN said:

PC

PS4(YT)

PC

PS4(YT)

Dat difference

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-what-its-really-like-to-make-a-multi-platform-game

pretty much says the titles dont make great use of either console due to time constraints. and with time these consoles will still outperform a comparable pc by 2x due to single spec coding. im sure all the herms here who dont design games will say how him, carmack, timothy lottes etc are soooooo wrong tho.

natsm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By natsm

@m3dude1 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metro-redux-what-its-really-like-to-make-a-multi-platform-game

pretty much says the titles dont make great use of either console due to time constraints. and with time these consoles will still outperform a comparable pc by 2x due to single spec coding. im sure all the herms here who dont design games will say how him, carmack, timothy lottes etc are soooooo wrong tho.

why do you love consoles so much? if you're an adult you wouldn't be so devoted to consoles. i'm not a PC fanboy btw
EDIT: just read the article,they say those words but they also say that it will take more times.

GamingElite021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 GamingElite021
Member since 2014 • 89 Posts

Original version looks much better

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@natsm said:

@m3dude1 said:

why do you love consoles so much? if you're an adult you wouldn't be so devoted to consoles. i'm not a PC fanboy btw

EDIT: just read the article,they say those words but they also say that it will take more times.

did i add any kind of twist or slant at all to my quick summary of some of the things he said?

natsm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 natsm

@m3dude1 said:

@natsm said:

@m3dude1 said:

did i add any kind of twist or slant at all to my quick summary of some of the things he said?

wll usually youre talking something that is not right(like you saying there is no difference in the comparison vid) so i thought you would be not right again.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#100 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@KillzoneSnake said:

you ma think its boring but the majority of people including myself think both metro games are amazing especially the redux editions.