Metro Exodus is not available in China. The biggest gaming market can't play it.

#1 Posted by OliverSnyders (157 posts) -

Not only Epic pushed an exclusivity deal but also locked an entire region from buying the game on PC by doing so.

#2 Posted by pyro1245 (5051 posts) -

Oops. I wonder if that was known when the deal was made.

#3 Edited by GarGx1 (10928 posts) -

Koch Media's screw up will cost 4A a lot of money.

They got a cheque for a few hundred thousand, maybe a million and shafted themselves and their developer at the same time.

#4 Posted by Sancho_Panzer (814 posts) -

That's messed up. EGS is cursed or something.

#5 Posted by Jacanuk (18606 posts) -

Hmm, this seems strange considering where Tencent is from.

But interesting that Metro is not available in the company's own home country :D

#6 Posted by Vaeh (497 posts) -

Missed opportunity. Such a good game & riddled with nonsense.

oh, Deep Silver ... you jokers, you ;)

#7 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31188 posts) -

Isn't Epic owned by a Chinese company?

#8 Posted by pyro1245 (5051 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

Isn't Epic owned by a Chinese company?

Tencent owns 40% of Epic Games

#9 Edited by Ten_Pints (3830 posts) -

So a Chinese company does not operate in China? the ****?

Mistakes were made with this one.

#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31188 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

Tencent owns 40% of Epic Games

Oh ok, so they aren't a majority owner, gotya

#11 Edited by Randoggy (3460 posts) -

You can be sure they'll be playing it soon enough on PC.

#12 Edited by DaVillain- (36901 posts) -

Correct me if I'm wrong here but Steam is the number 1 PC launcher right? If so, Deep Silver totally didn't think this through.

#13 Posted by LuxuryHeart (1038 posts) -

This is a dumb decision on Epic's part. Missing out on billions of gamers in China alone.

#14 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1285 posts) -

inb4 deep silver doesnt release future 4a games on PC due to "not generating enough income on the platform."

#15 Posted by Jag85 (13535 posts) -

The Chinese market is heavily geared towards online multiplayer, so not sure if a single-player game like Metro would've done that well there in the first place.

#16 Posted by npiet1 (2310 posts) -

Can't they still buy it as a physical copy?

#17 Edited by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@oliversnyders said:

Not only Epic pushed an exclusivity deal but also locked an entire region from buying the game on PC by doing so.

To sell commercial items in China. Metro devs would need local Chinese partners (Chinese trade protectionist policies) e.g. Tencent.

#18 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44044 posts) -

That's odd seeing as Tencent (Chinese) owns a significant part of Epic.

@sancho_panzer said:

That's messed up. EGS is cursed or something.

Cursed? No, just really bad decision making. I'd call that karma, btw, not a curse.

Yet another reason to boycott Epic's game store.

@luxuryheart said:

This is a dumb decision on Epic's part. Missing out on billions of gamers in China alone.

Epic knew this ahead of time (not allowed in China). It's Quicksilver's, owner/publisher of 4A games (developer of Metro), fault for doing this.

I hope whatever Epic paid them for exclusivity rights was worth it! BWAHAHAHAHA

#19 Posted by Litchie (24025 posts) -

Smart move, Deep Silver/Koch Media. Wonder if the ones behind the decision to not earn money has been fired yet.

#20 Posted by rmpumper (651 posts) -

@npiet1: Physical copies come with Epic keys: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/aqyjac/physical_copy_of_metro_exodus_for_pc_has_a/

#21 Posted by djoffer (1371 posts) -

Lol this shit is hilarious!

#22 Posted by OliverSnyders (157 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:

To sell commercial items in China. Metro devs would need local Chinese partners (Chinese trade protectionist policies) e.g. Tencent.

I know this. The thing is Steam operates in China. Chinese gamers can access and download any game published on Steam, despite not being licensed for operations in China.

Steam works on unmodified domestic Chinese internet. You do not need a VPN or other tools to purchase or play its games. But it’s not sustainable to operate a business in the gray. Valve is working with Perfect World to build a version of Steam that is localized and compliant with regulations and licensing.

#23 Edited by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@oliversnyders said:
@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:

I know this. The thing is Steam operates in China. Chinese gamers can access and download any game published on Steam, despite not being licensed for operations in China.

Steam works on unmodified domestic Chinese internet. You do not need a VPN or other tools to purchase or play its games. But it’s not sustainable to operate a business in the gray. Valve is working with Perfect World to build a version of Steam that is localized and compliant with regulations and licensing.

https://www.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1761620/boards/gaming-news/News/steam-store-blocked-in-china-war-between-tencent-and-valve

https://www.vpninfo.com/guide/access-steam-community-in-china/

Use https://www.comparitech.com/privacy-security-tools/blockedinchina/

Beijing - store.steampowered.com Not Working in China

Shenzhen - store.steampowered.com Not Working in China

Inner Mongolia - store.steampowered.com Not Working in China

Heilongjiang Province - store.steampowered.com Not Working in China

Yunnan Province - store.steampowered.com Not Working in China

This URL appears to be blocked in China.

#24 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1920 posts) -

Do you actually believe the deal with Epic Games Store was made without the Deep Silver execs not knowing ME wouldn’t be available in China? Epic is almost certainly making up for those projected lost sales in some way.

#25 Posted by OliverSnyders (157 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:
@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:

https://www.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/1761620/boards/gaming-news/News/steam-store-blocked-in-china-war-between-tencent-and-valve

Only the Steam Community is blocked in China. This isn't equivalent to a full ban on the Steam client or Valve's services.

Further, VPN usage to bypass this is commonplace; though most people in China don't care enough to bother with it.

#26 Posted by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@oliversnyders said:
@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:
@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:

Only the Steam Community is blocked in China. This isn't equivalent to a full ban on the Steam client or Valve's services.

Further, VPN usage to bypass this is commonplace; though most people in China don't care enough to bother with it.

#27 Posted by OliverSnyders (157 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:
@ronvalencia said:
@oliversnyders said:
@ronvalencia said:

Chinese gamers can access and download any game published on Steam, despite not being licensed for operations in China.

#28 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (25366 posts) -
@luxuryheart said:

Considering China has only a little over a billion people, it's a little hard to have billions of gamers. :P

#29 Posted by with_teeth26 (9547 posts) -

I really hope 4A isn't negatively impacted by Deep Silver's stupidity in doing this deal

#30 Posted by Vaeh (497 posts) -

@ronvalencia: Steam store is not blocked, it's Steam community which is totally different. You can totally talk with your friends, send game invites and such.

Tencent released Ring of Elysium on Steam. Something you can't expect from Epic.

#31 Posted by Vaeh (497 posts) -

Metro Exodus does not support Chinese, Japanese, Korean languages. 3 largest gaming revenue countries in top 4.

GOG sales lost - Denuvo checked.

Steam sales lost - checked.

Chinese sales lost - checked.

I was excited for global version of Tencent WeGame because the store has games that didn't make its way to west. As usual shit happened. Epic launched its own store.

#32 Posted by Randoggy (3460 posts) -

The game has been cracked, they are playing it now.

#33 Posted by OliverSnyders (157 posts) -
@vaeh said:

Metro Exodus does not support Chinese, Japanese, Korean languages. 3 largest gaming revenue countries in top 4.

GOG sales lost - Denuvo checked.

Steam sales lost - checked.

Chinese sales lost - checked.

I was excited for global version of Tencent WeGame because the store has games that didn't make its way to west. As usual shit happened. Epic launched its own store.

@Randoggy said:

The game has been cracked, they are playing it now.

the final nail in the coffin

#34 Edited by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@vaeh said:

@ronvalencia:

1. Steam store is not blocked, it's Steam community which is totally different. You can totally talk with your friends, send game invites and such.

2. Tencent released Ring of Elysium on Steam. Something you can't expect from Epic.

The same results from https://viewdns.info/chinesefirewall/?domain=store.steampowered.com

LocationLookup ResultStatus
Beijing104.111.211.155fail
Shenzhen104.111.211.155fail
Inner Mongolia104.111.211.155fail
Heilongjiang Province104.111.211.155fail
Yunnan Province104.111.211.155fail

2. It doesn't prove store.steampowered.com from not being blocked by China's Firewall.

#35 Posted by xantufrog (11506 posts) -

Considering RTX is borked in the game, it's got a lot of problems on many fronts it would seem

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-linux-society-1000004/metro-exodus-pc-graphic-issue-33452451/

#36 Posted by Vaeh (497 posts) -

@ronvalencia: ZhugeEX confirms that Steam works in China just fine. Don't spread wrong information.

#37 Edited by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@vaeh said:

@ronvalencia: ZhugeEX confirms that Steam works in China just fine. Don't spread wrong information.

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/number-of-chinese-steam-users-passes-30-million

Article date: OCT 19, 2018

One huge factor in Steam’s – and so Valve’s – success has been the partnership with Perfect World, which has allowed for this more curated approach to the country.

Don't spread wrong information.

--------------

1. I used cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com URL with https://www.websitepulse.com/tools/china-firewall-test#

2. I selected Shanghai location

3. Resolve to 104.116.243.153 IP

4. I used https://www.ultratools.com/tools/geoIpResult for 104.116.243.153 IP which resolve to Taiwan (Republic of China). This server is not blocked by China.

I used US's cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com which resolved to 96.16.6.24 IP located in Texas and it's blocked by China.

#38 Edited by OliverSnyders (157 posts) -
@vaeh said:

Oxygen is not going into his mind.

#39 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1236 posts) -

Good.

Everything has to be neutered for that market due to regulations etc.

I’m fine with them not having some games so we can play games with full freedom.

#40 Posted by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@oliversnyders said:
@vaeh said:

Oxygen is not going into his mind.

Your argument doesn't have any oxygen

#41 Posted by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@vaeh said:

Daniel Ahmad hasn't replied to my counter twitter post.

#42 Posted by Vaeh (497 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@vaeh said:

Daniel Ahmad hasn't replied to my counter twitter post.

You're not worth for reply.

#43 Posted by OliverSnyders (157 posts) -

@ronvalencia: Maybe if you stop spamming links then people might take you seriously.

#44 Edited by haroldcoates (14 posts) -

What if to switch on the VPN. Maybe using VPN you can get the access to play the game. I have played this game and it's amazing because I like this story and have read books. I think you should try. Maybe the AVG Secure VPN https://rocketfiles.com/windows/security-privacy/vpn/avg-secure-vpn will be useful in this case. Or you can try some others.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#45 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3241 posts) -

So if we suddenly care about China as a market, when will we get threads with their sales numbers? Or are we cherry picking to bitch about having to open a game in a different launcher?

#46 Edited by Raining51 (1124 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:

I really hope 4A isn't negatively impacted by Deep Silver's stupidity in doing this deal

Fat chance honestly.

#47 Posted by NoodleFighter (10321 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: China plays a big part in PC game sales nowadays. They're a market too big to ignore now. Many devs and publishers have stated success because of China. For example Total War Three Kingdoms is the fastest selling Total War game with a million copies in a week with a Steam user peak nearly double that of Rome 2 and Warhammer which were previously the best selling Total War games. Creative Assembly credited this China which has become the largest market for their games over the years. Ubisoft are parterning with Tencent to get their games released their officially. Assassin's Creed Origin sold the most in China on PC. China owns the most copies of GTA V on PC. An indie game called Descenders got very successful once they supported the Chinese language.

The Epic Store stealthily opened up in China last since that market is too big for even them to ignore.

#48 Posted by Archangel3371 (28120 posts) -

Old thread bumped by a spammer two days ago.