Metal Gear Survive beta live this weekend

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-survive-requires-constant-internet-conn/1100-6456151/

Let the disappointment begin!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Disappointing? Was anyone looking forward to it?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

True.

But it is disappointing in the sense that such a great set of stealth/action mechanics are being squandered on a grindy survival game that will likely be buried in mtx. They could've done all kinds of cool shit with MGSVs framework of systems, and they do... this.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner

@SolidGame_basic:

You played any Arcade Edition yet bro?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidGame_basic:

You played any Arcade Edition yet bro?

lol not yet. I'll start downloading it. How is it? I haven't seen you on there in a while.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner
@SolidGame_basic said:

lol not yet. I'll start downloading it. How is it? I haven't seen you on there in a while.

Ha, yeah I have 4 different accounts. Can't remember which one I played you on before, been a while.

But yeah, it's good. Same old SFV really, but I'm liking some of the balance/system changes and new Vtriggers. Presentation got a nice face lift in a lot of areas too.

And yeah, it has a decent enough arcade mode too if you're into that. I played through the various ladders a few times, unlocked some artwork and stuff. Still think SF4s arcade mode was better, but eh. It's whatever.

Watch out with the Extra Battle mode they added though. They present it like a cool way to unlock special costumes, but it's really just a sly way to rob people of their fight money lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic

@ConanTheStoner said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Ha, yeah I have 4 different accounts. Can't remember which one I played you on before, been a while.

But yeah, it's good. Same old SFV really, but I'm liking some of the balance/system changes and new Vtriggers. Presentation got a nice face lift in a lot of areas too.

And yeah, it has a decent enough arcade mode too if you're into that. I played through the various ladders a few times, unlocked some artwork and stuff. Still think SF4s arcade mode was better, but eh. It's whatever.

Watch out with the Extra Battle mode they added though. They present it like a cool way to unlock special costumes, but it's really just a sly way to rob people of their fight money lol.

ConanTheStoner!

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:

Why you have 4 accounts?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
@PSP107 said:

@ConanTheStoner:

Why you have 4 accounts?

I started on my first Steam account about 12 years ago. My best buddy and I were roommates at the time and we were mainly console gamers. So we just shared an account since it wasn't like we were on there much anyways, no point in having split libraries. We were sharing a PC anyways lol.

About 6 or 7 years ago I created my own "main" account since we were both starting to game on PC more.

The other two accounts are basically just smurf accounts that I use the family share feature with. Mainly use them for practicing sub characters in fighting games, or when I just don't feel like dealing with anybody online lol.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

That's a real improvement, right? Got to love the Kojima haters XD

This series is over.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Sounds almost like MGSV.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

It was to be expected. Fortnite and PUBG are killing it right now Konami is gotta get some scraps its the only business they got. MGSV game and engine is too great for konami not to do this. It plays well and runs well. I'm surprise there is no battle royale mode to it. Time to support Konami whales.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

I'm not going to act too good for this, I might end up playing this, gotta stay busy somehow between next Far Cry and Sea of Thieves. And I'm sure I'll get by just fine without purchasing anything other than the base game.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I literally thought it was a joke when it was announced... So my expectations for a game made by a developer jumping desperately on the survival game money train is pretty much as low as you can go.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Always online huh? Pass

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Not gonna lie, the metal gear name and aesthetics grab my attention. There are some serious crafting and survival mechanics in the game.

I almost hate to say that always online and micro trans are par for the course.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#18 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2946 Posts

First off, I think it looks decent and I don't know what everyone's beef is with MTX. If it's not Pay to Win, why do you care?

Secondly, I hope it provides us with an interesting bit of Metal Gear fiction and is reviewed well. And I will indulge in Kojima's followers immense butthurt. I know Kojima's probably a cool guy, but idolization quite frankly is pathetic. Metal Gear games as all games are the result of a cohesive effort.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Konami fucking shit up, how shocking

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Not gonna lie, the metal gear name and aesthetics grab my attention. There are some serious crafting and survival mechanics in the game.

They're not, though. Most AAA games don't screw people over, yet. And even if that becomes standard you don't have to accept it. Especially reviewers, they can still knock off points and let it determine the overall tone of their review as it probably should.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

Looking more forward to shitting on it I imagine. Jim Sterling can plop up multiple videos with hyperbole exaggerated laughing, Metacritic and Steam can review bomb it, critics can let popular opinion drip into the reviews. Fun times.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bread_or_Decide

@KungfuKitten said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

They're not, though. Most AAA games don't screw people over, yet. And even if that becomes standard you don't have to accept it. Especially reviewers, they can still knock off points and let it determine the overall tone of their review as it probably should.

Looks like most of them do, though. Last fall almost every triple A game had loot boxes and micro transactions.

I'm not saying I accept it. I'm not saying I like it. I'm just saying Metal Gear Survive gets my interest for some reason.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide

@uninspiredcup said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

Looking more forward to shitting on it I imagine. Jim Sterling can plop up multiple videos with hyperbole exaggerated laughing, Metacritic and Steam can review bomb it, critics can let popular opinion drip into the reviews. Fun times.

The game looks decent. Fortnite with survival mechanics. I often find the internet is mostly wrong when they try to predict flops and bombs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ArchoNils2 said:

The game looks decent. Fortnite with survival mechanics. I often find the internet is mostly wrong when they try to predict flops and bombs.

I think it looks decent as well. The fear not so much being the mechanics but the cynical, shady business bullshit trying to screw you for every cent humanly possible eroding the games core.

The whole MGS, Hideo Kojima end all is quite distasteful to the many people who probably spend thousands of hours on those games, alot of respected series have shifted developers and been fine. Opposing Force for example, superb expansion, still one of the best imo. And it's not like Metal Gear Solid was some masterpiece of story-telling coherence to begin with, like series fans thinking it's some feather in the cap end to an epic story.

I was reading one of the knobheads on Resetera claim they are "disgusting". That term I would apply to murderers, rapists, pedophiles, Al Quidi, ISIS, Nazi etc... Some asshole stuck in a cubical being overworked for 8-12 hours a day for weeks on end so you can sit on your ass munching Pringles for X hours comes across as slight over-reaction.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Konami: "Hmmmm, how can we piss off gamers today?"

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@ArchoNils2 said:

Not really, but I was at least thinking it wasn't looking as terrible as it could have been. Actually, it was almost looking like a solid expansion using the MGS V engine. (kind of like Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare)

I was never going to buy it anywhere near full price or anything. But with this news...might pick it up when it hits $1.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

MGS V did have a "better to be online" aspect as I recall. In order to get some of the resources for crafting or XP, you had to be online to deploy your combat troops on their little "missions".

But I don't think any single player type game should be FORCED online. Online should only be a bonus that provides additional gameplay or features.

They can keep the micro transactions and shove it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidGame_basic

Anyone start playing the beta? It seems alright. The enemies are weird though.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Metal Gear Online was always trash, this is just Konami trying to get people to buy gold coins PES style. Microtransaction crap game.

Always remember PS1 and PS2 days, when MGS was cool.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Saw the gameplay trailer, looks interesting. Downloaded the beta a few hours ago. Hope it's fun.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Was gonna get it maybe when it hit $20 but micro transactions is a no buy from me.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Problem with this is that people like GS use Kojima as clickbait.

They get Kojima interview, they get 2000000 clicks in two seconds.

So, in order to keep doing this, Gamespot has to give Survive a low score. Or Kojima will never speak to them again. Most big time game journalists will be doing the same. Sucking up to Kojima, their favourite clickbait. Sad fact.

So, do not believe official scores on this game. As they will be political, rather than honest.