Metal Gear solid 1 vs Resident Evil 2 (original). Which 1998 game was more influential?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

Poll Metal Gear solid 1 vs Resident Evil 2 (original). Which 1998 game was more influential? (45 votes)

Metal Gear Solid 73%
Resident Evil 2 27%

Metal Gear Solid

No Caption Provided

Vs

Resident Evil 2

No Caption Provided

Hello friends,

Both are old ancient polygon games. both were not Half life 1 too as HL was way ahead of both of them. but out of those which one was better? and more influential?

Well for me its easily MGS. RE2 tank control suck even for its time and become dated very fast on other hand MGS also have fixed camera but it was more fun. have better game design, far better story and characters like Solid snake was far more iconic and better written character than leon s kennedy or clarie. It was also longer and have more variety.

but then again 1998 most influential game was Half life which seem generation ahead of both of them.

so out of both which one was better? which was was more influential? lets discuss

• 
UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 1585 Posts

Inb4 lock 😎

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6164 Posts

The old RE games are unbearable to play now with their loading times and terrible camera angles. At least MGS is somewhat still playable.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 9104 Posts

I still love Resident Evil 2. So good. Resident Evil one got a ton of re-releases but I never really liked it. I only like REmake with all weapons saved game on the PC.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 217

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 15222 Posts

MGS - More influential on the video game industry. It popularized stealth gameplay, real-time cinematic cutscenes, AAA cinematic production values, and cover mechanics.

RE2 - More influential on the movie industry. It inspired the zombie movie revival, with its success sparking a wave of popular zombie movies, e.g. Versus, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead 2004, etc.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9968 Posts

MGS was more influential but RE2 was better.

The original RE was the influential game in the series for years until RE4.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 32797 Posts

Tough call as both are fantastic games that I can thoroughly enjoy playing to this day. I think I would say that MGS was more influential because RE2 was a sequel so most of the influence was in the first game. As for which one I still enjoy playing more well I would probably say that it’s RE2 but that is a really close one to call.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 16440 Posts

@Jag85 said:

MGS - More influential on the video game industry. It popularized stealth gameplay, real-time cinematic cutscenes, AAA cinematic production values, and cover mechanics.

RE2 - More influential on the movie industry. It inspired the zombie movie revival, with its success sparking a wave of popular zombie movies, e.g. Versus, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead 2004, etc.

MGS was barely stealth game at all. only stealthy thing is fire weapon behind enemy. it feature boss fights after boss fight and action segment on stairs where enemies running at you.

splinter cell is stealth game by comparision.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jag85
@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:

MGS was barely stealth game at all. only stealthy thing is fire weapon behind enemy. it feature boss fights after boss fight and action segment on stairs where enemies running at you.

Let me break it down for you in a simple way:

Stealth = hide and seek

Are you playing hide and seek? Are you hiding from enemies seeking you out? If yes, then that's stealth. Does that make sense now?

MGS is not pure stealth, but is stealth-action. But there's no doubt that MGS popularized stealth mechanics. Without MGS, there is no Splinter Cell.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42665 Posts

Alone In The Dark.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:

Stealth = hide and seek

Are you playing hide and seek? Are you hiding from enemies seeking you out? If yes, then that's stealth. Does that make sense now?

MGS is not pure stealth, but is stealth-action. But there's no doubt that MGS popularized stealth mechanics. Without MGS, there is no Splinter Cell.

wrong. Splinter cell is inspired by Thief and not MGS.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Alone In The Dark.

was not 1998 game.

either way we both agree Half life was 1998 king.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 42665 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:

Stealth = hide and seek

It's influenced by both my most respected freind, but it's existence owes more Metal Gear Solid.

It's gameplay, incremental use of light and sound working in tandem as a balancing act, i'd agree leans more towards Thief.

Or at least did until next-gen Double Agent fucked it up.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 137 Posts

@ghosts4ever: It was inspired by both, kid. They wanted to make a MGS2 killer but, obviously, couldn't. If it wasn't for MGS, splinter cell wouldn't exist.

By the way, both MGS and RE2 are far better and more memorable than HL.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 7555 Posts

Ghost "Which is more influential MGS or RE2"?

Also Ghost, talks about HL the entire thread.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@ahrequenomori said:

@ghosts4ever: It was inspired by both, kid. They wanted to make a MGS2 killer but, obviously, couldn't. If it wasn't for MGS, splinter cell wouldn't exist.

Absolutely not.

HL feel like generation above RE2 and MGS.

in HL1 when you kill enemy his corpses doesnot disappeared but in MGS it did.

RE2 tank control so bad that its bearly unplayable at this point yet Half life 1 still age well. HL1 even had lip-syncing.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jag85
@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:

Stealth = hide and seek

Again, let me break it down for you in a simple way:

Splinter Cell exists solely because Ubisoft wanted to make its own MGS2 killer. That's what the game's development team themselves have said. If MGS never existed, then Splinter Cell ceases to exist. Butterfly effect 101.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 15718 Posts

MGS, any day of the week.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 7976 Posts

Well MGS is a classic all around game. RE2 is still just a great horror game but not everyone can deal with a horror game I only played a little bit of it till I got scared to go on any further. I've beaten all of MGS multiple times.

Horror can't be kings like MGS.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 2389 Posts

MGS, as RE2 wasn’t that influential. Except for the zapping system, everything it did had been done first by the original.

If this had been between MGS and the original RE, well, yeah, have to go with RE as it codified and popularized the “survival horror” genre.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jag85
@zmanbarzel said:

MGS, as RE2 wasn’t that influential. Except for the zapping system, everything it did had been done first by the original.

If this had been between MGS and the original RE, well, yeah, have to go with RE as it codified and popularized the “survival horror” genre.

RE2 wasn't as influential on video games. But it was surprisingly influential on movies. A number of zombie movies were inspired by RE2, e.g. 28 Days Later which sparked the zombie movie revival, and Shaun of the Dead which sparked the zombie comedy trend (the movie's concept started out as a parody of RE2).

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 7441 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Jag85 said:

Stealth = hide and seek

it was both. deus ex too. splinter cell's tagline stealth action redefined was a nod to metal gear's tactical espionage action iirc

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 clone01
Member since 2003 • 28468 Posts

@ghosts4ever: You haven't played either, as you're just a forum troll, not an actual gamer.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 28468 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:

Well MGS is a classic all around game. RE2 is still just a great horror game but not everyone can deal with a horror game I only played a little bit of it till I got scared to go on any further. I've beaten all of MGS multiple times.

Horror can't be kings like MGS.

Your mom and dad didn't bring you your security blankie, bro? Not cool, bro.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 137 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@ahrequenomori said:

Absolutely not.

HL feel like generation above RE2 and MGS.

in HL1 when you kill enemy his corpses doesnot disappeared but in MGS it did.

RE2 tank control so bad that its bearly unplayable at this point yet Half life 1 still age well. HL1 even had lip-syncing.

LOL at it being better for having lip sync and corpses. You have some weird standards.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63235 Posts

MGS1 is more influential, Resident Evil 2 is the better game.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3326 Posts

@Telekill said:

MGS was more influential but RE2 was better.

The original RE was the influential game in the series for years until RE4.

yes re4 killed the horror aspect and they made it into a shooter.

old res>>>>>res4

now if the can blend old res horror with re4 gameplay. that would be great.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter

@gifford38: Is this a newer trend to shit on RE4? The game is amd always will be a true classic, not sure why a small loud minority are trying to say otherwise?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 3326 Posts

@vfighter said:

@gifford38: Is this a newer trend to shit on RE4? The game is amd always will be a true classic, not sure why a small loud minority are trying to say otherwise?

not shitting on re4 for what it is a great action game. I like the over the shoulder gameplay but the creepy atmosphere of the early games was not there in 4. there was more jump scares in the old games.

so if they can go back to the routes of being more scary on top of the re4 gameplay will make a better game to me over all.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

I'll say MGS with that said I usually hate stealth so I'm not thrilled about it.

Cloud_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Cloud_Man
Member since 2020 • 195 Posts

Resident Evil. Stealth games already existed before MGS. Same goes for cinematic storytelling (Wing Commander 4 had around 4 hours of cutscenes in 1996 and WC 3 had between 2 to 3 hours of cutscenes in 94, and these were games were better written too). RE made Zombie genre famous and it also had influence over Hollywood. BTW if you don't know I'm playing both WC and MGS again these days, since the latter just came out on GOG. So I know what I'm talking about. These are one of the greatest games ever but not without their flaws and some forced dialogues and out of place emotional melodrama.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Epak_  Online
Member since 2004 • 11189 Posts

Voted for METALU GEARURU, one of my most played series (1-3) ever. They overdid the cutscenes in MGS4 and MGS5 lost its magic when they decided to go open-world.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 16499 Posts

MGS1 was more influential in how it popularized certain tropes. Resident Evil 2 however, was the better game.

@Jag85 said:

I had no idea Resident Evil 2 actually inspired the movie industry o.O

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jag85
@Maroxad said:

MGS1 was more influential in how it popularized certain tropes. Resident Evil 2 however, was the better game.

@Jag85 said:

I had no idea Resident Evil 2 actually inspired the movie industry o.O

I elaborated on it further down:

@Jag85 said:
@zmanbarzel said:

RE2 wasn't as influential on video games. But it was surprisingly influential on movies. A number of zombie movies were inspired by RE2, e.g. 28 Days Later which sparked the zombie movie revival, and Shaun of the Dead which sparked the zombie comedy trend (the movie's concept started out as a parody of RE2).

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VFighter

@cloud_man: Wing Commander games were better written compared to what?