Media Molecule’s Dreams has been in Development For 6 Years and was Rebooted Twice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

https://gamingbolt.com/media-molecules-dreams-in-development-for-6-years-rebooted-twice

Great to see Sony putting so much support behind such a different and unusual title.

Just goes to show the claim Sony is all about the 'movie games' is largely bollocks.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Dreams is my most anticipated exclusive. Looks incredible!

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I made it 20 seconds into the video and snubbed my nose to it. Looks like a cell phone game with prettier graphics.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts
@pimphand_gamer said:

I made it 20 seconds into the video and snubbed my nose to it. Looks like a cell phone game with prettier graphics.

^ shallow gamer confirmed

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

Hope this isn't another studio getting culled. Hope the market is willing with their product.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Watched the trailer of 2017, no clue what's going on.

Is this little big planet game or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@Gatygun said:

Watched the trailer of 2017, no clue what's going on.

Is this little big planet game or something?

I think it's like a cross between LBP and Project Spark. I could be wrong though.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

^ shallow gamer confirmed

That's sadly the mindset of the majority of PlayStation gamers. I think Media Molecule would be way better off with Nintendo or PC, actually.

carlquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 carlquincy
Member since 2012 • 391 Posts

That is the unique position and power of the platform holder.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

Media Molecule are one of my favourite studios.

Dreams in VR should be really awesome.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

If Dreams is a Microsofts game, already would be canceled

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Litchie: How is this the mindset of playstation owners? LBP 1-3 sold well, the ps brand has always been home to lots of niche titles and genres, youre kinda way off base here kid.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

As much as I like developers trying different things, this game will sell like shit.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
@vfighter said:

@Litchie: How is this the mindset of playstation owners? LBP 1-3 sold well, the ps brand has always been home to lots of niche titles and genres, youre kinda way off base here kid.

Well, all I see here from PS gamers is God of War, Last of Us and Uncharted. And all games that look very similar to these (3rd person action games). It's great to hear that LBP sold well, I really like the games. But I'm still thinking they'd sell more on another platform.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@Litchie: lmao shallow and ps4 in the same sentence? You should be banned lol

We have a walk and click exclusive AAA game for christ sake.

Name a unorthadox multiplatform game that didnt sell the most on ps1 2 3 or 4

Any well exsperinced gamer knows sony is the most diverse overall and has the deeper community

Xbox was produced with a war theme. How deep can that go ? Or has it gone ? Name a non shooter aaa exclusive on xbox that isnt a racer. Cars and guns are all xbox knows. How american.

Nintendo wants to keep the kid and adult entertainment simultaneous , how deep can that go ?

Sony is the true ocean waters. And pc is the deep sea lol

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@Livecommander: Plus you can play Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Sea of Thieves (if you want to), Ryse (uh....), State of Decay 2 (ugh), Quantum Break (another dud), Ori and the Blind Forest, and Cuphead all on PC if you want to. Which leaves Halo 5 and Sunset Overdrive (plus Crackdown 3 coming soon) as Xbox One's only AAA exclusives as of now (I could be forgetting some but I think these are the most popular ones anyway). Sooooo, technically the Xbox One really doesn't have many exclusives compared to the PS4 and the only other really tempting thing it has is backwards compatibility but **** me if I'm gonna pay $400+ to buy an X1X so I can play the superior version of Red Dead Redemption.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@Livecommander said:

Any well exsperinced gamer knows sony is the most diverse overall and has the deeper community

Xbox was produced with a war theme. How deep can that go ? Or has it gone ? Name a non shooter aaa exclusive on xbox that isnt a racer. Cars and guns are all xbox knows. How american.

Nintendo wants to keep the kid and adult entertainment simultaneous , how deep can that go ?

Fantasia.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Big LBP fan here. It's a shame we can't get a next-gen version of it. Dreams is weird, luckily I like weird. Weird it up, Media Molecule.

Also, not surprised, Sony never gave up on the last guardian and that finally saw the light of day.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@Fuhrer_D said:
@Livecommander said:

Ori and the Blind Forest.

"Name a non shooter aaa exclusive"

You may have missed this (the bold) part...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

While that’s great that Sony has continued to support this game and the devs this game does not interest me at all. I really don’t like the look of the game and after my attempts to get into the Little Big Planet games failed each time I’ve realized that the kind of games that Media Molecule make just really aren’t my kind of thing.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@tgob89 said:
@Fuhrer_D said:
@Livecommander said:

Ori and the Blind Forest.

"Name a non shooter aaa exclusive"

You may have missed this (the bold) part...

I deleted that and added another one. But maybe your definition of aaa (high quality game) or exclusive (platform or console respectively) is different from mine. Anyway, I had edited it probably right before you hit submit, with Fantasia.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

This game has the makings of a sleeper hit. Incredibly ambitious.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

While that’s great that Sony has continued to support this game and the devs this game does not interest me at all. I really don’t like the look of the game and after my attempts to get into the Little Big Planet games failed each time I’ve realized that the kind of games that Media Molecule make just really aren’t my kind of thing.

I agree, although I liked everything about Little Big Planet I admittedly didn't put too much time into the creation aspect to it (I mostly played other people's levels, hardly got into creating anything). I thought the levels and story that media molecule created were cool enough though, the (free) DLC with the special editions were also fun, and I played a bunch of really terrific community made levels. That was all good enough for me.

I'm not really sure what to make of Dreams, but nothing so far has been appealing to me. The 6 year development and 2 "reboots" tells me that sadly this one seems like it is lacking a clear direction. Is there any actual gameplay that has been shown yet? Hopefully it is at least like LBP in that it will have a decent single player mode provided. It can still be rescued, but the direction has been bad on this game from the start IMO.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

There isn't anything left to be said about dreams. MM's future is on the line based on its performance.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I wish I could like Media Molecule games. Very pretty, very adorable, very unique, lots of customisation... but I always find the actual gameplay poor. LBP had a great "ecosystem" around it's gameplay, but actually running and jumping was horribly floaty. Shame.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 j2zon2591

@alan_cartridge said:

I really hope the cows get behind this one. It will send a message that you don't just want story driven 3rd person action games. Sony might even start to put out more interesting stuff again like Parappa the Rapper again.

We could see a GoW style gritty 3rd person action Parappa Reboot.

Send a message cows!

Yeah. I don't see this becoming successful or a hit at all. Like someone said in this thread maybe if it were on PC or Nintendo. I think the current PS4 core demographics are for more action, AAA production, teen/mature themes.

I really hope I'm wrong for MM's sake. Then again, these people might be in greener pastures after a departure from Sony. Best of luck to the team.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@j2zon2591: Little Big Planet sold nearly 5 million copies on PS3. This is similar to what Gears Of War sold on X360.

Tearway did worse but hell, it was a VITA game/port.

Sony is the perfect home for MM.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 j2zon2591

@locopatho: I hope that happens. This is just a gut feeling but I think our current base are more about the gritty teen/adult AAA Sony exclusives.

Hope you're right.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Its very difficult to market these types of games. They have shown off the tools very impressive but that's the creative part of it. I have yet to see an original content i like. What is the compelling content for consumers. I mean is Sackboy in this, at least folks can have a look at that character in this more 3d setting perhaps. Its going to need word of mouth from people who try out the content that people create to succeed. A Nintendo name on it can help lol. I think they need to single out something great they made out of this and show it at e3.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

That means MM's next game will be a cinematic Third-Person action adventure with over the shoulder camera and probably feature a kid in some way or an emotional (not really) story.