uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

You know when your dog gets really old and it basically turns into a rug needing help to even get up for the toilet? And then day by day you start contemplating if existing for the sake of existing is really the best option?

Unrelated -

Respawn’s Oculus exclusive is a Medal of Honor VR game

Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond is an Oculus exclusive

Respawn Entertainment, the EA-owned game studio behind shooter hits Titanfall and Apex Legends, is taking a departure from the far-future, sci-fi settings of its most famous games, including the upcoming Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. In partnership with Oculus VR, the studio today revealed Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, a virtual reality take on the classic WWII franchise. The game was announced with a 2020 release date onstage by Mike Verdu, the head of VR and AR content at Facebook, at the Oculus Connect developer conference in San Jose, California.

The Oculus partnership was first announced in 2017, just prior to EA’s acquisition of Respawn. However, given EA’s ownership of the Medal of Honor franchise, that deal opened doors for Respawn and the Facebook-owned VR platform to tackle the historic battlefields of Nazi Germany with the Medal of Honor name attached. A trailer for the title shown off at Oculus Connect shows off first-person VR gameplay that looks quite realistic, with two-handed reloading of classic WWII firearms and claustrophobic close-quarters combat.

EA ACQUIRING RESPAWN IN 2017 OPENED THE DOOR FOR MEDAL OF HONOR: ABOVE AND BEYOND

Medal of Honor, which has remained dormant since 2012’s Medal of Honor: Warfighter, has a rich gaming history, having been created by filmmaker Steven Spielberg in the lead up to the release of 1998’s Oscar-winning Saving Private Ryan.

Spielberg was famously inspired to reach out to initial developer studio DreamWorks Interactive after watching his son play N64 Rare classic Goldeneye 007. Spielberg went on to craft the the narrative of the first three Medal of Honor titles. Dreamworks Interactive eventually became EA Los Angeles and then Danger Close Games before shutting down after EA paused Medal of Honor development following a string of controversies related to Warfighter.

Now, one of the most esteemed first-person shooter studios in the industry, Respawn, is bringing Medal of Honor back from the dead and in VR form. The project is under game director Peter Hirschmann, who was a producer at Dreamworks Interactive on the original game. Hirschmann says he and a number of other Medal of Honor veterans are on the team and have been tasked with keeping the spirit of the series intact as it moves to an entirely new platform.

I got to try the game at a preview event earlier this month in San Francisco, and Above and Beyond is among the tightest VR shooters I’ve played, up there with Epic’s Robo Recall. The game is organized by 50 missions, and each one has a simple objective and a series of open-ended enemy encounters that can be approached from a number of different angles and with an assortment of various weapons.

It feels very arcade-y in that sense, a bit like the classic shooters of the ‘90s console era (think Goldeneye 007) blended but immerse VR mechanics and modern enemy AI. Moving around is performed with the Oculus Touch joysticks in the style of Marvel Powers United VR. And every action you take involves some type of physical action. You can’t reload with a button; you have to grab a magazine from your belt and jam it in. Grenades must be taken from your a belt on your chest, lit, and physically thrown.

THE GAME HAS A HIGH LEVEL OF REALISM, REQUIRING YOU MANUALLY RELOAD GUNS AND LIGHT GRENADES

This may sound tedious, but in the heat of combat, it has an exhilarating effect that makes a convincing case for taking these historic and video game-friendly backdrops and putting them in VR. Above and Beyond will feature some Medal of Honor favorites, like the storming of the beaches of Normandy on D-Day, and plenty of covert operations behind enemy lines with the French resistance. In that sense, it will be familiar to long-time fans, or really anyone who’s ever played a historic 20th century war game. But in VR, it takes on a new life.

When I took the headset off after my roughly 45-minute demo, I was sweating profusely, having just put myself through quite the workout shooting my way through a Nazi base and then traversing the side of a snowy mountain to hijack a radio tower. It may look anywhere near as nice as the newest Call of Duty game, or at the same level of intensity as Battlefield V. But Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond does have the benefit of pushing you ever-closer to the sensation of actually being present on the frontlines of history.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

"Yeah let's turn this incredible franchise with decade/s of history into a gimmick-game like we did Command and Conquer"

-EA

@uninspiredcup said:

You know when your dog gets really old and it basically turns into a rug needing help to even get up for the toilet? And then day by day you start contemplating if existing for the sake of existing is really the best option?

Unrelated -

Pure gold my friend. Keep up the good work.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I don't blame EA from trying to jump on VR bandwagon, but I am concerned that EA has Respawn juggling projects rather than having them focus all their efforts on an important Star Wars IP, it's like they don't even care about making most of that license anymore.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

Respawn should have made proper MOH game for PC/Console instead for jumping into VR. since they are only talent plus they are the one who made allied assault in first place. but not, because of EA.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

EA previously turned Dungeon Keeper and C&C into mobile games, so this sounds about as expected. EA's equivalent of grabbing a shotgun and taking something to the back of a shed - in this case dormant videogame franchises.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

Respawn should have made proper MOH game for PC/Console instead for jumping into VR. since they are only talent plus they are the one who made allied assault in first place. but not, because of EA.

yea you are right. 2015 inc. made Allied Assault, then turned into Infinity Ward, then Respawn split off from them.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 dimebag667  Online
Member since 2003 • 3045 Posts

@mrbojangles25: haha, I think about it daily

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

Looks great. Nice to see respawn developing for a vr shooter and looking forward to what they can bring to vr. Would be interesting to see moh making a return, moh was great back in the day pre call of duty.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Looks cool I might need to break out my Oculus from the closet for this.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

yea you are right. 2015 inc. made Allied Assault, then turned into Infinity Ward, then Respawn split off from them.

Yup, Zampella and West worked on the original MOHAA, COD 1, and COD 2, which are the best games in the franchise as far as singleplayer is concerned.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56035 Posts

EA is growing too greedy for their own good.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever
@R4gn4r0k said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Yup, Zampella and West worked on the original MOHAA, COD 1, and COD 2, which are the best games in the franchise as far as singleplayer is concerned.

It was perfect timing for EA to let respawn make proper WW2 MOH game. gotta disappointed that its just VR game. and by guys how made only good MOH game.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

I saw this the other day and was sickened... Would like to see a Warfighter 2. Probably won't ever happen, but hearing they are making a VR game is blegh... Looks like they are giving the franchise the SOCOM treatment unfortunately.. hell, not even that...

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

So, will Respawn become the the new Dice? Since Respawn is the latest acquisition from EA and it's pretty decent creating a fps games, I can see that happening. Respawn will become the new poster dev for EA. Meanwhile, Bioware is inside an EA torture chamber and henchman Dice has increasingly fallen out over the Battlefront and Battlefield franshices.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever
@watercrack445 said:

So, will Respawn become the the new Dice? Since Respawn is the latest acquisition from EA and it's pretty decent creating a fps games, I can see that happening. Respawn will become the new poster dev for EA. Meanwhile, Bioware is inside an EA torture chamber and henchman Dice has increasingly fallen out over the Battlefront and Battlefield franshices.

because EA knows respawn are only talent they left. DICE are worst AAA developer currently, so is bioware.

if they let respawn free hand. they can definitely make something worthwhile.