May PS+ | Guacamelee, Unfinished Swan, Hohokum, more

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's that time again - get ready for Ether One and Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition on PS4, Chase the Sun and The Unfinished Swan for PS3, and Murasaki Baby and Hohokum on PS Vita.

And don't forget - Unfinished Swan and Hohokum are both Cross-Buy for PS3, PS4 and PS Vita, so you'll get these games on all consoles with your PS Plus membership!

Ether One [PS4]

Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition [PS4]

Race the Sun [Vita] [PS3] [PS4]

The Unfinished Swan [Vita] [PS3] [PS4]

Murasaki Baby [Vita]

Hohokum [Vita] [PS3] [PS4]

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Blabadon

I bought Unfinished Swan and never played it, so >_>

Guacamelee is alright. Hohokum is weird as hell. Play it with a guide. Trust me.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

That's awful. I wanted Knack. =(

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Well that's a bummer.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Hohokum. Cool.

Unfinished Swan is nice. Pretty much a first person Journey. Hell, the easter egg of Journey in that game is so in your face.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Hohokum is fucking awesome! Definitely scoop that up if you haven't played it yet.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Murasaki Baby is the only thing that looks cool there, already own Guacamelee. Solid game, but nothing to write home about.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Eh not impressed.

Guess I'll give Unfinished Swan a try though, heard it's alright.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Nothing

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Not too shabby I guess.

I'll give Guacamelee a spin, been meaning to buy it.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Murasaki Baby: YAY!

Everything else: Booo!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

PS+ for May Is Their Worst Effort

Are you happy that PS+ is getting Guacamelee that already was on GwG almost a year ago?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

When I first played Hohokum for review, I hated it for being a (as much as I hate the term) walking simulator. Maybe I'll play it again, but I doubt it.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Are you happy that PS+ is getting Guacamelee that already was on GwG almost a year ago?

Lems might as well have opted for getting Guacamelee a second timea round, would be leagues better than what they're getting this month lol
No wonder you're salty and had to post this comment twice in two different topics :p

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blabadon

@darkspineslayer: I would hate playing it for a review. It's way too fucking obtuse.

I played it with a guide and had a pretty decent time. Would rather have played it on Vita.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Are you implying that the GwG offering is better for May month?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Murasaki Baby: YAY!

Everything else: Booo!

This person knows.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Guacamelee was on the PS+ quite some time ago.

This is the "GOTY" version per say.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I've wanted Hohokum for a while, so I am actually pretty happy with this.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

It sucks, just like PSPlus May offering. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I'll continue to get all vita games so I have a established library for when I get one.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's okay.

Nothing mind-blowing but with four PS4 titles to mess about with, I might dabble with a few. It probably would have seemed worse if I didn't just read about the GWG offering this month. I did want to check out Murasaki Baby and Hohokum a long while back.

Ether One http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ether-one which is a 82 at metacritic, and I will check that out.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy

@Desmonic said:

How tragic. I guess he was unaware that Guacamelee first appeared on PSN, not XBL? Shame.

I got Guacamelee on PS3 first way back in 2013, then like a year later the GOTY version on Xbone Summer 2014, and now the GOTY version on PS4 Spring 2015.

Anyways, I am not sure whey he's putting stock into one title when there are five other titles up there and PS4 got FIVE titles to play this month.

It's not a fantastic month to me, but Murasaki Baby and Hohokum have been on my radar for a long time. Also, The Unfinished Swan was pretty cool, but I got that for $1 earlier this year. Either way, this offering is about 95x better than GWG this month (Castlestorm for Xbone and F1/Mafia 2 for 360).

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@Desmonic said:

How tragic. I guess he was unaware that Guacamelee first appeared on PSN, not XBL? Shame.

I got Guacamelee on PS3 first way back in 2013, then like a year later the GOTY version on Xbone Summer 2014, and now the GOTY version on PS4 Spring 2015.

Anyways, I am not sure whey he's putting stock into one title when there are five other titles up there and PS4 got four titles to play this month.

It's not a fantastic month to me, but Murasaki Baby and Hohokum have been on my radar for a long time. Also, The Unfinished Swan was pretty cool, but I got that for $1 earlier this year. Either way, this offering is about 95x better than GWG this month (Castlestorm for Xbone and F1/Mafia 2 for 360).

Why the need to manifest that GwG for this month is the worst ever, though?

I couldn't care less about GwG and I care even less for PS+.

Besides, what's wrong with 8+ rated games (all three were rated such at GS)?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@Desmonic said:

Anyways, I am not sure whey he's putting stock into one title when there are five other titles up there and PS4 got four titles to play this month.

The same need that brought you in a PS+ thread, although you don't own PS products, to proclaim "PS+ for May Is Their Worst Effort". You would have more stock in that statement if you had the ability to play and download those PS games, but you can't because you are loyal to the Xbox brand to a fault. I too own Xbox 360s and Xbone, but I discuss the differences because as a consumer I own them. I have no idea why you discuss the differences since you can't even experience both machines. Your PS+ inexperience deprived you of Guacamelee until it was finally released on Xbox platforms late which caused you not to know Guacamelee was released on PSN first. Guacamelee Turbo, the GOTY version, is nice though, but I already have it on Xbone.

For the record, I never proclaimed this a great PS+ month, I said, "It's okay."

You say you couldn't care less about GWG and since I own every single GWG title available, I don't' blame you. However, you shouldn't use GWG as a standard because it's not. Unfortunately, you have what you have which forces you to downplay both services, even if you only use one service, but you should know, they aren't equal. PS4 alone is hitting 45 PS+ titles in May and Xbone is hitting 15 GWG games. For you not to care about GWG, I understand. Your PS+ inexperience though is not helping your point.

With regards to GWG, it's worse than PS+ by a large margin in quality and quantity over a year's period, so you should care even less for GWG than PS+, but since you deprive yourself month to month of PS+ offerings, you don't know what you are missing. They say that ignorance is bliss, but for someone like me who actively owns both machines, it's pretty easy to compare the differences every single month.

With regards to rated games, I don't use Gamespot.com EVER for talking about what qualifies as a good game or not. I can't imagine that you actually put real stock into only Gamespot.com reviews for quality that you felt that is a good point to bring up, GS scores in terms of actual game quality. I will use GS for the metagame discussing silly flops because that's the silly rules for flops, but not discussing ACTUAL quality of a product. Sincerely, I wouldn't use any single site to discuss quality. I'm not a fan of metacritic, but meta is about 200x better than just using Gamespot or IGN or whatever. Not to mention, I own 2010's Mafia 2 and it's awful to me (but it's a 70s metascoring title so I won't say it's all bad), and I HATE racing games which means F1 is out (but F1 is also 70s at metacritic). None of those are bad titles looking at 70s metascores, just three boring titles in their 70's. That leaves the single 70+ metascoring title Castlestorm as the only hope as the only major GWG title for Xbone for the month. Even pretending that quality is equal among Xbone and PS4 (assuming all these titles are 70s metascoring titles), at the very least PS4 is once again getting 5 titles vs. Xbone's 1 title. Or six PS+ titles compared to three GWG if you count the less machines (PS3, 360, Vita). No matter how we spin it, PS+ wins this month. It's not a great victory. It's just less shitty than GWG, which isn't saying much.

It's not a great month for either service no doubt, but PS+ wins this easily by sheer quantity. It's a numbers game and in that game, PS+ wins. However, the real winner is gamers who have both machines or all the machines and can just simply play them and tell experience it all for themselves. I'm in that position. If I don't like racing games, then I don't like racing games. I don't care for Race the Sun (PS+ May), Need For Speed, Gran Turismo, Forza, DriveClub, or F1 2013 (GWG May)...but I respect those titles to a degree. You get it as you aren't into fighting games the same way. It's all good though. I already own Mafia 2, so that's out.

PS4 is getting Ether One http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ether-one which is a 82 at metacritic. So already the 70 rated GWG games are crumbling. Personally, The Unfinished Swan was interesting.

I'm also legit intrigued with Ether One, Murasaki Baby, and Hohokum.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@Desmonic said:

The same need that brought you in a PS+ thread, although you don't own PS products, to proclaim "PS+ for May Is Their Worst Effort". You would have more stock in that statement if you had the ability to play and download those PS games, but you can't because you are loyal to the Xbox brand to a fault. I too own Xbox 360s and Xbone, but I discuss the differences because as a consumer I own them. I have no idea why you discuss the differences since you can't even experience both machines.

You say you couldn't care less about GWG and since I own every single GWG title available, I don't' blame you. However, you shouldn't use GWG as a standard because it's not. Unfortunately, you have what you have which forces you to downplay both services, even if you only use one service, but you should know, they aren't equal. PS4 alone is hitting 45 PS+ titles in May and Xbone is hitting 15 GWG games. For you not to care about GWG, I understand. Your PS+ inexperience though is not helping your point.

With regards to GWG, it's worse than PS+ by a large margin in quality and quantity over a year's period, so you should care even less for GWG than PS+, but since you deprive yourself month to month of PS+ offerings, you don't know what you are missing. They say that ignorance is bliss, but for someone like me who actively owns both machines, it's pretty easy to compare the differences every single month.

With regards to rated games, I don't use Gamespot.com EVER for talking about what qualifies as a good game or not. I can't imagine that you actually put real stock into only Gamespot.com reviews for quality that you felt that is a good point to bring up, GS scores in terms of actual game quality. I will use GS for the metagame discussing silly flops because that's the silly rules for flops, but not discussing ACTUAL quality of a product. Sincerely, I wouldn't use any single site to discuss quality. I'm not a fan of metacritic, but meta is about 200x better than just using Gamespot or IGN or whatever. Not to mention, I own 2010's Mafia 2 and it's awful to me (but it's a 70s metascoring title so I won't say it's all bad), and I HATE racing games which means F1 is out (but F1 is also 70s at metacritic). None of those are bad titles looking at 70s metascores, just three boring titles in their 70's. That leaves the single 70+ metascoring title Castlestorm as the only hope as the only major GWG title for Xbone for the month. Even pretending that quality is equal among Xbone and PS4 (assuming all these titles are 70s metascoring titles), at the very least PS4 is once again getting 4 titles vs. Xbone's 1 title.

I just simply copied-and pasted champ's headline from a similar thread for the same "no reason" he came up with it in the first place. My gosh.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Atrocious. Sony lost it with quality free games they've had on ps3.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

The same need that brought you in a PS+ thread, although you don't own PS products, to proclaim "PS+ for May Is Their Worst Effort". You would have more stock in that statement if you had the ability to play and download those PS games, but you can't because you are loyal to the Xbox brand to a fault. I too own Xbox 360s and Xbone, but I discuss the differences because as a consumer I own them. I have no idea why you discuss the differences since you can't even experience both machines. Your PS+ inexperience deprived you of Guacamelee until it was finally released on Xbox platforms late which caused you not to know Guacamelee was released on PSN first. Guacamelee Turbo, the GOTY version, is nice though, but I already have it on Xbone.

With regards to rated games, I don't use Gamespot.com EVER for talking about what qualifies as a good game or not. I can't imagine that you actually put real stock into only Gamespot.com reviews for quality that you felt that is a good point to bring up, GS scores in terms of actual game quality. I will use GS for the metagame discussing silly flops because that's the silly rules for flops, but not discussing ACTUAL quality of a product. Sincerely, I wouldn't use any single site to discuss quality. I'm not a fan of metacritic, but meta is about 200x better than just using Gamespot or IGN or whatever. Not to mention, I own 2010's Mafia 2 and it's awful to me (but it's a 70s metascoring title so I won't say it's all bad), and I HATE racing games which means F1 is out (but F1 is also 70s at metacritic). None of those are bad titles looking at 70s metascores, just three boring titles in their 70's. That leaves the single 70+ metascoring title Castlestorm as the only hope as the only major GWG title for Xbone for the month. Even pretending that quality is equal among Xbone and PS4 (assuming all these titles are 70s metascoring titles), at the very least PS4 is once again getting 5 titles vs. Xbone's 1 title.. Or six PS+ titles compared to three GWG if you count the less machines (PS3, 360, Vita). No matter how we spin it, PS+ wins this month. It's not a great victory. It's just less shitty than GWG, which isn't saying much.

It's not a great month for either service no doubt, but PS+ wins this easily by sheer quantity. It's a numbers game and in that game, PS+ wins. However, the real winner is gamers who have both machines or all the machines and can just simply play them and tell experience it all for themselves. I'm in that position. If I don't like racing games, then I don't like racing games. I don't care for Race the Sun (PS+ May), Need For Speed, Gran Turismo, Forza, DriveClub, or F1 2013 (GWG May)...but I respect those titles to a degree. You get it as you aren't into fighting games the same way. It's all good though. I already own Mafia 2, so that's out.

PS4 is getting Ether One http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ether-one which is a 82 at metacritic. So already the 70 rated GWG games are crumbling. Personally, The Unfinished Swan was interesting.

I'm also legit intrigued with Ether One, Murasaki Baby, and Hohokum.

I just simply copied-and pasted champ's headline from a similar thread for the same "no reason" he came up with it in the first place. My gosh.

Whatever motivation you used to copy paste, got you through to this thread.

You have to remember champ's opinions are his own and they are based on his owning the Xbone/PS4. My opinions are based on that as well and I've had the machines since launch. When you ask you have to keep in mind your experiences in relation to mine or champs will differ (due to life experience, taste, etc) and part of the reason why the opinions differ is because you lack hardware and experience on one of the two machines.

Just remember 5 titles for PS4 this month.

Anyways...Right on. :P

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This works for me, I've never played Guacamelee or any of the others for that matter.

_SWAG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _SWAG_
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

<b>Sony Wins Another Month SWAM!!!</b>

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

lolvita

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

I'm a Sony fan, but this is an insulting offering. Why can't they just stop with all of the Indie crap? There's no reason why they can't offer a AAA title or two like Knack or Killzone. Those games aren't selling anymore so they wouldn't lose anything by giving them out for free.

I remember when I first signed up I got games like Sleeping Dogs, Hitman Absolution, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Dogma, Saints Row 3, etc in just a few months but it's been going down hill for a while.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blabadon

@david61983: Because they can't cater to everyone's taste. Personally, I'd take most indies over the crap you listed like Knack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Same here

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Wow what a pile of crap. Seriously has anyone that wants to play Guacamelee not played it yet? Seems like the game selection is getting worse. I'm sort of wondering if Sony is even trying anymore.

Ok so I just checked out the Games with Gold offering for May. Also a steaming pile. Good thing TW3 is coming out and I have a backlog. Sad month for both services.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

hmmm kind of shitty ps3 offerings, what happened to the 3-4 games sometimes offered now its only ever two games.

I picked up a year of ps plus for 15 dollars recently so I'm set for that but damn the offerings went to shit.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Awesome, a bunch of garbage and guacamelee.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Legend002 said:

You must not have played Knack.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Of course. Why would I want a game I've already played?

comchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 comchild
Member since 2004 • 238 Posts

hmm...Unfinished Swan is fun. Ether One looks super interesting, as does Murasaki Baby. Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I've heard lots of great things about Ether One, will check it out.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Legend002 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Of course. Why would I want a game I've already played?

That was my subtle way of saying that Knack is a special kind of boring.