May 2014 NPD thread of officiality

Posted by Shewgenja (19105 posts) 3 years, 7 months ago

Poll: May 2014 NPD thread of officiality (178 votes)

PS4 did its thing again. It's a blowout! 57%
XBone is back in the saddle. Good news swings the US firmly back to MS. 6%
Nintendo made like an Altered Beast and RISEd FROM IT'S GRAVE! Rawr! 11%
PS4 won, but not by much. May was not an easy victory for the Playstation. 16%
XBone is winning back the US slowly but surely. Wasn't a big victory, but an important one. 5%
Nintendo scrapped one out. Came out on top, though. Winning is winning #VinDiesel 4%

What kind of NPD month are we going to have from May? System Wars, the vote begins now! I will try to update the OP with the results when they become available. I figured a poll would be a fun way to do it this time.

#51 Posted by inb4uall (6564 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@finalstar2007: fancy trolling there finalstar ;)

Ps4 and Xbox one will be separated by less than 20k this month I feel... wiiu will be behind the lead by > 50k.

My guess based on nothing. :D

Nah xbone will have crap sales because people are waiting for the $399 sku. Wii U will get 2nd. Next month will be different.

#52 Posted by Promised_Trini (3651 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: I might be wrong when I ask you this.When did you start acting like a fanboy dude?. Once more I could be wrong.

#53 Edited by santoron (8583 posts) -

@kingtito said:

Funny how cows care about NPD sales numbers all of a sudden. They didn't give 2 shits about it for 7 years last gen "buh buh buh NPD =/= world" was the mantra

Funny how that door swings both ways, huh?

buh buh buh...

#55 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

Xbone is heavily rumoured to be well under 100K sold so in comparison to last NPD I think it will be a PS4 slaughter. I think many will brush this off as 'many people waiting for the cheaper kinectless sku'. Can't wait for next months to see how the kinectless sku moved the needle. I honestly doubt it will be by much :P.

#56 Edited by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@kingtito said:

Funny how cows care about NPD sales numbers all of a sudden. They didn't give 2 shits about it for 7 years last gen "buh buh buh NPD =/= world" was the mantra

Sour grapes much?

you gotta understand that Lems will forever bring up the past now that they're not ahead in..well...literally anything. New gen, new rules, baby.

#57 Posted by kingtito (9019 posts) -

@santoron said:

@kingtito said:

buh buh buh...

No need to protect the cows dude unless you're feeling butthurt for some reason. Did I hurt your feelings?

#58 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (29669 posts) -

The WiiU resurgence numbers won't be avalible till the June NPD.

#59 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

BoneU gon' get killed. Hell, everything other than PS4 is going to be mediocre to horrible to downright dead.

#60 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1901 posts) -

@santoron said:

@kingtito said:

buh buh buh...

It may be easy to dismiss this as simply fanboy hypocrisy, but the cows at least had a point. The PS3 was keeping up with strong EU and Japan sales, along with decent NA sales. MS' heavy hitter was NA. So, it's safe to say if the PS4 is doing better in NA, well, the Bone is going to have a tough road ahead.

#61 Edited by santoron (8583 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@santoron said:

@kingtito said:

buh buh buh...

No need to protect the cows dude unless you're feeling butthurt for some reason. Did I hurt your feelings?

No need to selectively criticize poor behavior unless you're feeling butthurt for some reason. Did I strike too close to home?

#62 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (12477 posts) -

So at what time the results are in, precisely?

#63 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (10669 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

So chaps, how bad are we expecting it to be?

It will be bad. I may have to deactivate my account for a few days till this blows over.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
#64 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5811 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

So at what time the results are in, precisely?

usually its around 11pm gmt time, 6pm est

#65 Edited by tormentos (26637 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@santoron said:

@kingtito said:

buh buh buh...

Hypocrite as always,Lemmings cared about sales for 8 years,when on the PS2 gen they didn't care about sale and this one they don't care either that moving goal post..lol

Butbutbut NPD matter only when it favor me..

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/october-2013-npd-360-outsells-ps3-3ds-on-top-30928469/

Last NPD were you lemmings still care October 2013..hahahaha

After that NPD is irrelevant as well...hahahaha

#66 Posted by SecretPolice (31957 posts) -

I think millions of 360 gamers like myself will be buying late this year on next year since I'm still having some good times on 360 with more games right now than I can play.. GWG and all that. On the other hand, I think PS3 gamers were sooooo ready to move on that they are dumping the PS3 quickly and going PS4. I'd say by Christmas 2015 we'll have a much better feel for how this gen will go and who will win. :P

#67 Posted by nintendoboy16 (33726 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

PS4 in first place

WiiU takes two if this includes the MK8 surge

Xbone last

handhelds

3ds first

vita dead

The MK8 surge results probably won't be until the June NPD.

#68 Posted by hoosier7 (4166 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

I think millions of 360 gamers like myself will be buying late this year on next year since I'm still having some good times on 360 with more games right now than I can play.. GWG and all that. On the other hand, I think PS3 gamers were sooooo ready to move on that they are dumping the PS3 quickly and going PS4. I'd say by Christmas 2015 we'll have a much better feel for how this gen will go and who will win. :P

Some of the stats Sony have thrown out show the contrary though, a good proportion are 360 or no console owners apparently (i'm skeptical how they even know this though).

http://gamingbolt.com/sony-says-xbox-360-and-wii-owners-migrating-to-ps4

Seems ~48% either had no console, a Wii or 360 last gen. Seems brand loyalty doesn't hold much weight in gamers these days, some of these HD remakes make a lot more sense now too.

#69 Posted by SecretPolice (31957 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@SecretPolice said:

Some of the stats Sony have thrown out show the contrary though, a good proportion are 360 or no console owners apparently (i'm skeptical how they even know this though).

http://gamingbolt.com/sony-says-xbox-360-and-wii-owners-migrating-to-ps4

Seems ~48% either had no console, a Wii or 360 last gen. Seems brand loyalty doesn't hold much weight in gamers these days, some of these HD remakes make a lot more sense now too.

Yes indeed, color me skeptical on that as well, we'll see but it just seems to me that with seemingly little reason to Jump Ahead right now, most will take the plunge a few years from now. Now, had the consoles been a Major jump in powah like they should have after a 9 year gen, I'd likely had bought One day one.

#70 Posted by Shewgenja (19105 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Heh, want to take a look back at how many 360 exclusives there have been since 2012 and say that with a straight face again? Halo 4, which many consider a low point for the series and a Gears of War that was definitely the low point of the series. I think, if we leave Kinect out of the equation, there have been like maybe four or five others not worth mentioning? Hard to say when PS3 was getting GOTYs left and right as well as GT6 right on PS4s doorstep.

NPD has been solidly showing that the US is turning to Playstation. When considering that 360 outsold the PS3 in the US by something like 20-30 million units, your logic gets torpedoed.

#71 Edited by StormyJoe (7559 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@SecretPolice said:

Heh, want to take a look back at how many 360 exclusives there have been since 2012 and say that with a straight face again? Halo 4, which many consider a low point for the series and a Gears of War that was definitely the low point of the series. I think, if we leave Kinect out of the equation, there have been like maybe four or five others not worth mentioning? Hard to say when PS3 was getting GOTYs left and right as well as GT6 right on PS4s doorstep.

NPD has been solidly showing that the US is turning to Playstation. When considering that 360 outsold the PS3 in the US by something like 20-30 million units, your logic gets torpedoed.

Why are exclusives the only measure of a console once you own it?

And, We are SEVEN MONTHS IN to the new generation. Hardly time to be declaring some sort of victory. Maybe more PS3 owners jumped to PS4 as early adopters than 360 owners?

#72 Posted by SecretPolice (31957 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@SecretPolice said:

Eh, wishful thinking on your part me thinks, Exclusives were not and are not the only measure and like I said, I think most PS3 gamers couldn't wait to dump that sucker since it was a tough tough gen for cows ya know and one they'd rather forget. :P

#73 Posted by locopatho (23133 posts) -

Because it was the only way PS3 could beat 360 in any way.

This was instantly forgotten and flipped once comparing PS3 to Wii, at which point multiplats mattered.

Cows. Gotta love em :P

At least this gen it seems they'll have both multiplats AND exclusives so they can stop lying and bullshitting for once :P

@StormyJoe said:

Why are exclusives the only measure of a console once you own it?

#74 Posted by Shewgenja (19105 posts) -

I still say the always-online DRM fiasco will be the "Wilderness AT Tire" incident of the videogame world. XBox is going to go through 5 years of being a Firestone branded console before pulling out of this mess.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#75 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

Eight more hours, right?

Can you imagine the shitstorm if the Xbone beats the PS4 this month?

#76 Posted by StormyJoe (7559 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Eight more hours, right?

The PS4 should crush the XB1 in May. The price drop was announced in early May. Why buy a XB1 when a price drop was coming a month later?

#77 Posted by AgentA-Mi6 (16660 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Eight more hours, right?

Can you imagine the shitstorm if the PS4 beats the XBONE and WIIU for this entire generation in worldwide sales and critically acclaimed exclusives. Cause thats the shitstorm we can all smell coming towards us. This board is so pointless now, im just glad i lived to see the natural order of things restored.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
#78 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (6843 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Eight more hours, right?

The PS4 should crush the XB1 in May. The price drop was announced in early May. Why buy a XB1 when a price drop was coming a month later?

Yeah, that's my point. People were expecting the Bone to win March!

#79 Edited by StormyJoe (7559 posts) -

@AgentA-Mi6 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Eight more hours, right?

Can you imagine the shitstorm if the PS4 beats the XBONE and WIIU for this entire generation in worldwide sales and critically acclaimed exclusives. Cause thats the shitstorm we can all smell coming towards us. This board is so pointless now, im just glad i lived to see the natural order of things restored.

LOL. Cows.

#80 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

Poor lems, they just can't catch a break. NPD numbers today will bring a lem slaughter as usual. I don't expect June to be any better for them considering Xbone is getting slaughtered even at $399 on Amazon as we speak.

#81 Posted by Shewgenja (19105 posts) -

@I_can_haz said:

Poor lems, they just can't catch a break. NPD numbers today will bring a lem slaughter as usual. I don't expect June to be any better for them considering Xbone is getting slaughtered even at $399 on Amazon as we speak.

I expect that there was a bump for about two weeks. In June, the XBone won't be quite as much behind, but still significantly behind all the same.

#82 Posted by sibu_xgamer (340 posts) -

Slaughtering the xbone each month is getting boring. We need a real challenger.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
#83 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: closer to 100K thanks to the Watch Dogs Bundle.

#84 Posted by tormentos (26637 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

And this is by far one of the most stupid ass damage control arguments.

On 2013 the PS3 spanked the xbox 360 from here to china and back the xbox 360 best game was GTA5 also on PS3,the best game on PS3 was TLOU,but there was Ni no Kuni,the puppeteer,GOW and several other games,if a fanbase need it to actually move from a platforms it was lemmings the PS3 in 2013 had games to spare the xbox 360 didn't,hell the xbox 360 is older than the PS3 so if any one was ready to move were 360 owner which many were PS2 owners the gen before.

In fact.

http://www.mod-gadget.com/ps4-owners-defected-from-xbox-360-wii/

Just a few days ago 31% of the current PS4 owners come from xbox 360 and wii..

#85 Edited by sibu_xgamer (340 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@SecretPolice said:

And this is by far one of the most stupid ass damage control arguments.

On 2013 the PS3 spanked the xbox 360 from here to china and back the xbox 360 best game was GTA5 also on PS3,the best game on PS3 was TLOU,but there was Ni no Kuni,the puppeteer,GOW and several other games,if a fanbase need it to actually move from a platforms it was lemmings the PS3 in 2013 had games to spare the xbox 360 didn't,hell the xbox 360 is older than the PS3 so if any one was ready to move were 360 owner which many were PS2 owners the gen before.

In fact.

http://www.mod-gadget.com/ps4-owners-defected-from-xbox-360-wii/

Just a few days ago 31% of the current PS4 owners come from xbox 360 and wii..

Yeah I agree that's a very dumb argument. The PS3 had a much better end of the gen support. Like usual Sony supports the console much longer than MS so it makes more sense that people will stay on the PS3 longer than on the 360. Personally I have still a huge backlog on the PS3 so I don't feel the need to buy the PS4 yet.

#86 Posted by LadyBlue (4943 posts) -
Can you say no to that? :)
@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

Wut?

The xbox is about to outsell the ps4.

Yeah, and I was explaining it to him. Where the heck did you get concern from that? lol

I'm capable of sensing concern (& other emotions) from text. I developed it years ago.

I think you might have ingested a bit too much pink :P

#87 Edited by santoron (8583 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Wait. So you think everyone who grabbed a 360 last gen will go buy a XBone this time?

#88 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

Looking forward to the meltdowns later tonight.

#89 Posted by Shewgenja (19105 posts) -

..and as a generation of dominance slips further and further out of your grasp, Lemmings. Who will you blame?

#90 Edited by lglz1337 (4942 posts) -

today wii-u will outsell XposBone! :p

#91 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

ill keep predicting sony is in 2nd for every month until it is in 2nd.

im not convinced that sony has a foothold in US until i see a real AAA blockbuster from them. I loved infamous ss but thats their AA franchise that hasnt done 5 mil per iteration.

awesome system but i dont think they have a AAA title until maybe uncharted. order1886 looks like a 6-7

#92 Posted by LJS9502_basic (162177 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

im not convinced that sony has a foothold in US until i see a real AAA blockbuster from them. I loved infamous ss but thats their AA franchise that hasnt done 5 mil per iteration.

awesome system but i dont think they have a AAA title until maybe uncharted. order1886 looks like a 6-7

Uh I think you are getting the idea of first, second, etc wrong.

#93 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

Microsoft doesn't have an AAA exclusive either unless you believe a score from one site influences the entire United States.

Also you can bet your ass Bloodborne will be 90+ Metacritic as well as here and that will release well before Uncharted 4. Little Big Planet 3 has a good chance to be AAA in November although it will be on PS3 as well. The best version will be PS4 though.

Having the best console version of multiplats is chip Sony will hold all generation. Also don't act like Microsoft owns the US market. They did great for one generation and consumers that jumped to Xbox last gen will jump back to PlaySation now. There is no loyalty for most consumers.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
#94 Posted by chikenfriedrice (13561 posts) -

@Promised_Trini said:

@chikenfriedrice: I might be wrong when I ask you this.When did you start acting like a fanboy dude?. Once more I could be wrong.

I've always favored the xbox brand....but I am a gamer first and foremost.

#95 Posted by StrongBlackVine (13262 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

Looking forward to the meltdowns later tonight.

Lems have a built-in excuse for the domination that will be revealed this evening.

#96 Posted by misterpmedia (6209 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

Lems have a built-in excuse for the domination that will be revealed this evening.

It will be delicious.

#97 Posted by Suppaman100 (5250 posts) -

@SecretPolice said:

Lol, 360 has been dead for years now, meanwhile PS3 is still getting exclusives.

And even bigger LOL that you think Xbone still has a chance. It's over, PS4 won.

#99 Posted by mbrockway (3560 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@StormyJoe said:

@Desmonic said:

Well, considering they announced that the X1 would be cheaper in June (this month) by the start of May, I expect regular PS4 sales with shit X1 sales (since there was only the $499 available).

June should be a far more interesting story though. But yeah, PS4 in the lead, and the other two fighting it out for the 2nd place.

This

Let's not kid ourselves. XBone is going to get murdered in June NPD, too.

I've noticed the local walmart hasn't had an xbone in stock since Titanfall came out. They stop shipping or something? There is really no reason for xbone to go up in sales. No big exclusive (or even multis), no big ad campaign during that period, rumors of a price drop going around. I'm really expecting it to be awful for MS.

#100 Edited by super600 (32406 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

@jsmoke03 said:

Microsoft doesn't have an AAA exclusive either unless you believe a score from one site influences the entire United States.

Also you can bet your ass Bloodborne will be 90+ Metacritic as well as here and that will release well before Uncharted 4. Little Big Planet 3 has a good chance to be AAA in November although it will be on PS3 as well. The best version will be PS4 though.

Having the best console version of multiplats is chip Sony will hold all generation. Also don't act like Microsoft owns the US market. They did great for one generation and consumers that jumped to Xbox last gen will jump back to PlaySation now. There is no loyalty for most consumers.

Sumo digital rarely produces games that get 90+ on GS. They may be playing it a bit safe which may prevent lbp3 from getting AAA on GS when it releases. Games in the franchise have scored below a 9 before.