Max Payne 3 is a bastardization of the franchise

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 runbleduck
Member since 2008 • 578 Posts

Every little change made is for the worse. The noir setting style, dialogs, voice acting, presentation, and story of the first two games are completely gone, replaced by a complete disjointed mess made only possible by a cohort of film school rejects and marketing executives. The only thing good about it is the core slow-mo shooting and even then it's been dumbed down. It's quite obvious the control and gameplay are designed solely for controllers, and the PC control sucks compared to the eariler games. Even after the patch, some sections still have different mouse sensitivities. Can't believe Rockstar spent 8 years making this bastardization. This game deserved to bomb.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the game either and I have always loved the Max Payne franchise. It just lacked the feel and atmosphere of the older games and I just couldn't get absorbed into it like the previous titles.
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts
i thought it was fantastic and paid great respect to the originals
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Perhaps...
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
i thought the game was fine.
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

I thought Max Payne 3 was pretty terrible game, too, but uh, woah dude. Strong words you're using there.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Noir themes and dark setting? Check. Max Payne's typical dialogue? Check. Voice acting and story? All pretty damn good. The presentation of Max Payne 1 and 2 are dated and wouldn't work that well in a newer game. Plus - the cutscenes are simply way more enjoyable to watch than the comic panels of the previous games. My favorite part about Max Payne 3 is that the controls are the best they have ever been. It's all there, you're just too blind to see it. P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Because Noir=Night time New York right?

Learn a little bit about film before acting like you know what noir is.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Noir themes and dark setting? Check. Max Payne's typical dialogue? Check. Voice acting and story? All pretty damn good. The presentation of Max Payne 1 and 2 are dated and wouldn't work that well in a newer game. Plus - the cutscenes are simply way more enjoyable to watch than the comic panels of the previous games. My favorite part about Max Payne 3 is that the controls are the best they have ever been. It's all there, you're just too blind to see it. P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)

dont forget the awesome music. the part in the airport, that was brilliant
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

I agree.

I wanted to play as max payne,not fat payne.

Brazil is literally the worst place for a max payne game to take place in.Rockstar,even if you didn't want the game to take place in US,WHY BRAZIL!?!There are much better places like Hong Kong,Moscow and london,which are perfect for max payne.BUT THEY CHOSE SAO PAULO!!

The gameplay is not as good as that in the first 2 games.Over the shoulder aim?WTF!!

Cover=lame.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KHAndAnime
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Noir themes and dark setting? Check. Max Payne's typical dialogue? Check. Voice acting and story? All pretty damn good. The presentation of Max Payne 1 and 2 are dated and wouldn't work that well in a newer game. Plus - the cutscenes are simply way more enjoyable to watch than the comic panels of the previous games. My favorite part about Max Payne 3 is that the controls are the best they have ever been. It's all there, you're just too blind to see it. P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)

The last few hours are brilliant of you ask me. Perhaps I could've done without the vocals in the music but it was all well done anyways so I enjoyed it.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Noir themes and dark setting? Check. Max Payne's typical dialogue? Check. Voice acting and story? All pretty damn good. The presentation of Max Payne 1 and 2 are dated and wouldn't work that well in a newer game. Plus - the cutscenes are simply way more enjoyable to watch than the comic panels of the previous games. My favorite part about Max Payne 3 is that the controls are the best they have ever been. It's all there, you're just too blind to see it. P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)

The last few hours are brilliant of you ask me. Perhaps I could've done without the vocals in the music but it was all well done anyways so I enjoyed it.

yea, the only real issue i had is that they went a little too crazy with the blur effects and words during cut scenes at times. other than that though the game was fun. multiplayer is surprisingly addicting too
Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

Noir themes and dark setting? Check. Max Payne's typical dialogue? Check. Voice acting and story? All pretty damn good. The presentation of Max Payne 1 and 2 are dated and wouldn't work that well in a newer game. Plus - the cutscenes are simply way more enjoyable to watch than the comic panels of the previous games. My favorite part about Max Payne 3 is that the controls are the best they have ever been. It's all there, you're just too blind to see it. P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)KHAndAnime

Noir themes? There wasn't really much of a noir theme in MP3. Granted, it's not something I would get mad over just that alone, but I didn't really see enough to consider it a general theme in the game. It plays out more like a general hollywood action movie.

Max Payne's typical dialogue? You mean his quirky internal monologue that was filled with dark metaphors,philosophical questions, and Max's general views on life? Aside from a few rare occasions, Max's monologue was generally just him describing what was going on, and then talking about he hates himself.

Voice acting? Ok, you got me there. The voice acting in the game was pretty damn good.

Story? I don't know about you, but I thought MP3's story was pretty flat and uninteresting. Nothing really happens. It's just an ongoing series of explosions, Max's constant "I should kill myself," and forgettable characters left and right. I was waiting the entire the game for a reason to care, something to make it seem worthwhile. Spoiler alert: I never did.

Control wise, the only problems I had were the Weapon WHEEL, and the inability to bind multiple functions to one key. It's the rare occasion that I actually want universal buttons.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Well its GOTY right now so.....

JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts
[QUOTE="mems_1224"][QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Noir themes and dark setting? Check. Max Payne's typical dialogue? Check. Voice acting and story? All pretty damn good. The presentation of Max Payne 1 and 2 are dated and wouldn't work that well in a newer game. Plus - the cutscenes are simply way more enjoyable to watch than the comic panels of the previous games. My favorite part about Max Payne 3 is that the controls are the best they have ever been. It's all there, you're just too blind to see it. P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)

And don't forget the jersey bar level with the guidos. I thought Snooki was gonna show up lol.
CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
MP 1 and 2 = MP is cynical and can not get over the loss of his family MP3 = a alcoholic self hating bastard that just needs to kill himself already I really liked the game but it did not feel like MP to me.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

If you want a spiritual successor to the old Payne games play Alan Wake.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Because Noir=Night time New York right?

Learn a little bit about film before acting like you know what noir is.

OB-47
This.
JohnnyCageMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JohnnyCageMK
Member since 2012 • 4365 Posts

nameless12345

:lol: you've never played a Max Payne game before.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

JohnnyCageMK

:lol: you've never played a Max Payne game before.

Why yes I did. Never really liked it tho. Too much emphasis on shooting and I felt it was kinda wasted potential of what could have been a great detective type game with action parts. The slow mo was a insteresting novelity but made the game too easy imo.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Noir themes and dark setting? Check. Max Payne's typical dialogue? Check. Voice acting and story? All pretty damn good. The presentation of Max Payne 1 and 2 are dated and wouldn't work that well in a newer game. Plus - the cutscenes are simply way more enjoyable to watch than the comic panels of the previous games. My favorite part about Max Payne 3 is that the controls are the best they have ever been. It's all there, you're just too blind to see it. P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)Lord_Nas3k

Noir themes? There wasn't really much of a noir theme in MP3. Granted, it's not something I would get mad over just that alone, but I didn't really see enough to consider it a general theme in the game. It plays out more like a general hollywood action movie.

Max Payne's typical dialogue? You mean his quirky internal monologue that was filled with dark metaphors,philosophical questions, and Max's general views on life? Aside from a few rare occasions, Max's monologue was generally just him describing what was going on, and then talking about he hates himself.

Voice acting? Ok, you got me there. The voice acting in the game was pretty damn good.

Story? I don't know about you, but I thought MP3's story was pretty flat and uninteresting. Nothing really happens. It's just an ongoing series of explosions, Max's constant "I should kill myself," and forgettable characters left and right. I was waiting the entire the game for a reason to care, something to make it seem worthwhile. Spoiler alert: I never did.

Control wise, the only problems I had were the Weapon WHEEL, and the inability to bind multiple functions to one key. It's the rare occasion that I actually want universal buttons.

The game was heavily noir. Cynical unknowing protagonist unraveling a crime syndicate. In what way was it less noir than the previous games? The only thing missing is the romance really. Max talks a lot through the game, and I found almost all of his dialogue to be at least some what witty or entertaining. Max's monologues aren't significantly more description-centric than the previous games.

I'm sorry the story didn't do much for you, but I thought the story in this game was actually the best of the three. It was the most believeable and carried the most weight out of all the stories. Max Payne 3 did play out like an action movie...but so did the first and 2nd Max Payne games. So it's pretty hard to fault it for that. It's the most self-realized out of the all the games and manages to add something new to Max Payne without completely rehashing the previous games (which is what you want).

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#23 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Not really a bastardisation, but certainly not as good as the previous games. The development time is excessive for the content though.
darkdude2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkdude2k12
Member since 2011 • 874 Posts

nameless12345

Not at all.

Stranglehold had a better chance.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KHAndAnime

Not really a bastardisation, but certainly not as good as the previous games. The development time is excessive for the content though. nutcrackr
It's a surprisingly detailed game. After multiple play-throughs and tinkering 20+ hours with the multiplayer, I can easily see where the time went. Can't remember the last time I played through a singleplayer campaign that was so polished without being incredibly short.

runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 runbleduck
oh and don't forget how Rockstar repeatedly said the PC version won't simply be a console port. Big surprise, that was a total lie. The mouse control was unplayable with its ultra low sensitivity (even at the highest in-game setting) and mouse acceleration that cannot be disabled. Even after the patch there's still an issue with the sensitivity. The graphic is still mostly console-quality even with everything set to high.
runbleduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 runbleduck
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)

Yes it did. 8 years in development at a budget over 100 million. Then there's the huge marketing campaign that looks to have easily cost over 50 million. Atleast 4 million copies needs to be sold at full $60/copy to break even on the development budget, yet it only managed to sell 400k in its debut month and sales are rapidly plummeting. This is a major financial disaster for Rockstar.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
i thought it was fantastic and paid great respect to the originalsGamingVengeance
Yeah, I haven't got my copy yet, but I plan on getting it. Looks like most of the reviews were rock solid! Hmm, oh well, every franchise is now trying to mix new things in, trying to go off the norm a bit. Looks real good to me. Rockstar know how to make good games. There good game ratio is probably better than most.
WTA2k5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#29 WTA2k5
Member since 2005 • 3999 Posts

Anyone who says Max Payne 1 and 2 have a classic noir setting hasn't seen very many noir films.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] P.S. The game didn't bomb. ;)runbleduck
Yes it did. 8 years in development at a budget over 100 million. Then there's the huge marketing campaign that looks to have easily cost over 50 million. Atleast 4 million copies needs to be sold at full $60/copy to break even on the development budget, yet it only managed to sell 400k in its debut month and sales are rapidly plummeting. This is a major financial disaster for Rockstar.

The budget wasn't 100 million. That's a bullsh*t estimate drawn upon other bullsh*t estimates. For example, I highly doubt they had 200 employees working on the game for the entire duration of its development period, especially considering that the specific branch that worked on the game only had ~100 employees recorded in 2010, not 200. It only sold 400k within its debut month because...

A) It came out on the 15th. So that's pretty much only counting the first two weeks of sales.

B) The game didn't release on PC yet.

C) Max Payne has always been primarily a PC-rooted franchise and most of its fans are most likely to buy it on the PC.

You can keep riding on Michael Pachter's words, or you can use some common sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Times change and games change. Get over it and stop living in the past. You should have known what to expect when R* took over

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KHAndAnime
oh and don't forget how Rockstar repeatedly said the PC version won't simply be a console port. Big surprise, that was a total lie. The mouse control was unplayable with its ultra low sensitivity (even at the highest in-game setting) and mouse acceleration that cannot be disabled. Even after the patch there's still an issue with the sensitivity. The graphic is still mostly console-quality even with everything set to high. runbleduck
The game was far from a port. Try buying a mouse that isn't 200 DPI, or even just try turning up the sensitivity in your control panel. I had no issues with mouse acceleration in the game (it was slight, if not completely unnoticeable). The graphics absolutely *KILL* the console counterpart, in every respect. You must suffer from blindness.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

oh and don't forget how Rockstar repeatedly said the PC version won't simply be a console port. Big surprise, that was a total lie. The mouse control was unplayable with its ultra low sensitivity (even at the highest in-game setting) and mouse acceleration that cannot be disabled. Even after the patch there's still an issue with the sensitivity. The graphic is still mostly console-quality even with everything set to high. runbleduck

What are you sh!ting on about, the fact that it has those huge textures alone makes it far from a console port. It also runs very well on the highest settings.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Times change and games change. Get over it and stop living in the past. You should have known what to expect when R* took over

seanmcloughlin

This is just another popular game, getting a well done sequels, and whiny fans still hating on it because it decided to actually move forward since the 9 years when the last game came out.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what you did, people still would have hated it. I think its the best one in the series easily, the story is the least cheesy and has the best production values, while the gameplay also works well (and I have it on PC so it seems like OP might just be terrible at aiming).

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
[QUOTE="runbleduck"]oh and don't forget how Rockstar repeatedly said the PC version won't simply be a console port. Big surprise, that was a total lie. The mouse control was unplayable with its ultra low sensitivity (even at the highest in-game setting) and mouse acceleration that cannot be disabled. Even after the patch there's still an issue with the sensitivity. The graphic is still mostly console-quality even with everything set to high. KHAndAnime
The game was far from a port. Try buying a mouse that isn't 200 DPI, or even just try turning up the sensitivity in your control panel. I had no issues with mouse acceleration in the game (it was slight, if not completely unnoticeable). The graphics absolutely *KILL* the console counterpart, in every respect. You must suffer from blindness.

Yeah, I was thinking about getting it on my PC, instead of my ps3, or 360. I just have issues trying to adjust to the mouse/keyboard setup. I've been using my wired 360 controller for most of my PC games, like The Witcher 2, Tera, Dirt3, and Metro, so I hope this one has the option as well. Does anyone know if this title allows for the controller to be used? Probably a no-brainer but i just wanted to make sure.
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

SPYDER0416

This is just another popular game, getting a well done sequels, and whiny fans still hating on it because it decided to actually move forward since the 9 years when the last game came out.

I guess everything is moving forward then.

Dragon age Origins to DA 2,SupCom 1 to SupCom 2,MW1 to MW2,Deus Ex to Deus Ex IW...None of them was worse than their prequel.They just moved forward.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
First of I think you don't understand what noir is Second of all Yea i agree the game does lack that "style" it had in the first 2. It might have been better to leave it in the city imo.
padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

MP3 for me is easily the best.
The gunplay is top-notch, the voice acting and writing are way better than they were in previous games. Also the setting is much better, the second level of the favela? Holy ****, that was spetacular.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
console master race.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Just picked it up tonight, so I'll know soon enough.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The Games basically a movie.

What the hell did rockstar hire Kojima somewhere along development?

starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
The noir setting stylerunbleduck
Not knowing what noir is, you can't talk about it.
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

Thanks-For-Sharing-300x151.jpg.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts

Just ignore the TC, it's the classic adjustment syndrome that many develop when something better/different comes a long. Sure he is LOVING it right now. That being said, the gunplay/gameplay is unmatched and by far the TPS of the decade. Doubt it'll be topped...nuff said.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 soapandbubbles

Thanks-For-Sharing-300x151.jpg.

megadeth1117
why bother? what else do you think he was doing....gsus.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Hmmm... I loved the previous Max Payne games and I have just as fond a feeling for Max Payne 3.

I think that people need to unclench a little bit and make peace with the notion that we can't cling to how things used to be.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 soapandbubbles

Hmmm... I loved the previous Max Payne games and I have just as fond a feeling for Max Payne 3.

I think that people need to unclench a little bit and make peace with the notion that we can't cling to how things used to be.

VoodooHak
BINGO!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

soapandbubbles

BINGO!

EXACTLY THIS! 100%, people need to let go of the past, and especially should be appreciative of how close it was to Max Payne for a 9 year gap in his life (as well as ours). Any other game would replace the voice actors, change the character's look and take away pain killers in favor of regenerating health, something Splinter Cell: Blacklist didn't even need 9 years or a developer change to do.

Its the same as the people that whine about Battlefield 3 and harp on about Battlefield 2 ignoring that no, the game was not perfect when it released all those years ago and that yes, times have changed quite a bit since 2005.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SPYDER0416

[QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

call_of_duty_10

I guess everything is moving forward then.

Dragon age Origins to DA 2,SupCom 1 to SupCom 2,MW1 to MW2,Deus Ex to Deus Ex IW...None of them was worse than their prequel.They just moved forward.

Half-Life to Half-Life 2, Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Creed II, Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2, Grand Theft Auto III to Grand Theft Auto Vice City and San Andreas, Batman Arkham Asylum to Batman: Arkham City, Hitman to Hitman 2 (and then all the way to Blood Money, the best game in the series), Call of Duty 1 to Call of Duty 2 (you seem to ignore those before MW1 to MW2), etc.

Hmm, funny how these don't show up in that list there, and its equally funny how Max Payne 3 has received so much critical acclaim in comparison to those titles as well as objective improvements to the writing and gameplay while retaining the core of the character and gameplay, as noted by reviewers. But I guess if a fanboy really wants to prove their point, they'll ignore all reason and hope someone doesn't pull a much bigger list of amazing sequels. Damn nostalgia goggles, some people must have them glued on.