MASSIVE price cut for Thief and Tomb Raider @ XBL & PSN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Taken from Eurogamer.net:

Xbox One versions of Thief and Tomb Raider will be available for half price this weekend via the Xbox Games Store, Microsoft has announced.

The hefty discounts will see the recently-released titles reduced from £49.99 to £24.99 for Thief and from £44.99 to £22.49 for Tomb Raider.

Call of Duty: Ghosts will see a third cut from its £54.99 price tag, Major Nelson confirmed. The sale prices will go live on Friday and last until Sunday.

Xbox 360 versions of the same games will also be reduced - and there's a sale on BioShock titles and associated DLC now on to celebrate the launch of Burial at Sea: Episode 2.

BioShock and BioShock 2 are 75 per cent off, while BioShock Infinite is down to £6.59. There are discounts too on Burial at Sea Episode 1, plus other smaller add-ons Clash in the Clouds and the Columbia's Finest Pack.

I think this is a very good deal and if I had Bone right now I'd have gotten these games (but I've recently finished Tomb Raider so I wouldn't get this one). I hope more deals of this magnitude will follow soon.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

Ooooh that Tomb Raider one is mighty tempting. I hated that game at first but after about a half an hour in I fell in love and couldn't put it down.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

That's what I payed for those game on pre-order... on PC of course ;)

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

They should be. There practically ripping of consumers having the games be the same price as the vastly superior PS4 versions.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Taken from Eurogamer.net:

Xbox One versions of Thief and Tomb Raider will be available for half price this weekend via the Xbox Games Store, Microsoft has announced.

The hefty discounts will see the recently-released titles reduced from £49.99 to £24.99 for Thief and from £44.99 to £22.49 for Tomb Raider.

Call of Duty: Ghosts will see a third cut from its £54.99 price tag, Major Nelson confirmed. The sale prices will go live on Friday and last until Sunday.

Xbox 360 versions of the same games will also be reduced - and there's a sale on BioShock titles and associated DLC now on to celebrate the launch of Burial at Sea: Episode 2.

BioShock and BioShock 2 are 75 per cent off, while BioShock Infinite is down to £6.59. There are discounts too on Burial at Sea Episode 1, plus other smaller add-ons Clash in the Clouds and the Columbia's Finest Pack.

I think this is a very good deal and if I had Bone right now I'd have gotten these games (but I've recently finished Tomb Raider so I wouldn't get this one). I hope more deals of this magnitude will follow soon.

Thanks for the heads up. I already have TR, but I was hoping for a drop in Thief and here it is.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Might have to grab Tomb Raider for the One if it's $30 or less.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

plz understand

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@lglz1337 said:

plz understand

plz pay full price

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@MonsieurX: Why pay full price?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Its raining games...........two snaps and a shake.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX

@kittennose said:

@MonsieurX: Why pay full price?

On PS4,cause they have to

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

It's also half off on Ps4.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX

@freedomfreak said:
@MonsieurX said:

It's also half off on Ps4.

Come on,stop ruining my fun.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Still too much for TR, even if it is the "definitive" edition

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

@tyloss said:

They should be. There practically ripping of consumers having the games be the same price as the vastly superior PS4 versions.

There had to be one, vastly superior my arse.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Come on,stop ruining my fun.

Haha :p

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#17  Edited By 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

Half price is a MASSIVE price cut to you?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Salt_The_Fries

On consoles for digital games that were released not even 2 months ago? Sure

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Those two games are 50% off on PSN too.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Salt_The_Fries

@ButDuuude said:

Those two games are 50% off on PSN too.

That's very good for PS4 owners as well.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

i already got tomb raider for free on ps3. thief is tempting though. since the sale is also on psn.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@MonsieurX: They were on sale yesterday on PSN!

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@001011000101101:

I can spend that extra $30 on a good bottle of liquor.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

@AM-Gamer:

Meaning Microsoft didn't give them shit. Square Enix did.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: These games are on sale on PS4... I noticed it last night and I remembered your thread.

This is a Square Enix deal, but your thread TITLE makes it seem like M$ is behind this, but as it turns out it's a SE deal on both Xbone and PS4. You should update your thread title if you truly want people to buy those games digitally.

After seeing the prices, I don't think any of it is a good deal though. For me where I live, buying physical is the better deal since physical retail goes on sale cheaper all the time. I get the lowest prices and I can sell them, but I understand in your country this may not be possible. I just have to wait, as retailers overstock all the time. I'm posting this bit for those that live in western countries that have cheap retail prices like the UK or US.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SolidTy

@MonsieurX: They were on sale yesterday on PSN!

Hahahaha....you noticed that too, huh? LOL. They were on sale on PSN in huge marketing, I saw it too. Hahahaha. It's funny to me because this article exists and is a great example of PR and stupid articles.

Thread title should be changed or a new thread created so all gamers that can take advantage of the deal now.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Spartan070

@001011000101101 said:

ON consoles, yes. Everything can't be measured by Steam.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy
@001011000101101 said:

Not to me, and I buy 99% retail physical games at massive discounts (75% or more off) save for the rare full price buys like Mario 3D, Titanfall, or Infamous Second Son...all resell-able and trade-able.

Digital games though, those always, ALWAYS are pennies on the dollar on PC or consoles. You can't sell them, can't trade them with friends...DD games better damn well be cheap.

A game like Thief will be $10-$20 in bargain bin retail sometime this year same for Tomb Raider port def edition. I'll be able to sell those as well.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spartan070

@SolidTy said:

@001011000101101 said:

Not to me, and I buy 99% retail physical games at massive discounts (75% or more off).

You only pay over 25% for 1 in every 100 games, physical retail? Are you weighing the used game price against the original MSRP?

Just curious... :P

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@tyloss: Sony also has a flash sale on the games. Tomb Raider and Thief are both heavily discounted on the PSN Store.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries: These games are on sale on PS4... I noticed it last night and I remembered your thread.

This is a Square Enix deal, but your thread TITLE makes it seem like M$ is behind this, but as it turns out it's a SE deal on both Xbone and PS4. You should update your thread title if you truly want people to buy those games digitally.

After seeing the prices, I don't think any of it is a good deal though. For me where I live, buying physical is the better deal since physical retail goes on sale cheaper all the time. I get the lowest prices and I can sell them, but I understand in your country this may not be possible. I just have to wait, as retailers overstock all the time. I'm posting this bit for those that live in western countries that have cheap retail prices like the UK or US.

At the moment of posting there was no OFFICIAL INFO ON ANY PSN DEALS ANYWHERE. THIS SURFACED FIRST. I thought it was more of a MS thing just like for example Eurogamer thought. Why u playing smart after the fact?

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Maybe a good trend. I jump in when games are $5 to $10.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SolidTy
@Spartan070 said:

@SolidTy said:

@001011000101101 said:

Not to me, and I buy 99% retail physical games at massive discounts (75% or more off) save for the rare full price buys like Mario 3D, Titanfall, or Infamous Second Son...all resell-able and trade-able.

Digital games though, those always, ALWAYS are pennies on the dollar on PC or consoles. You can't sell them, can't trade them with friends...DD games better damn well be cheap.

A game like Thief will be $10-$20 in bargain bin retail sometime this year same for Tomb Raider port def edition. I'll be able to sell those as well.

You only pay over 25% for 1 in every 100 games, physical retail? Are you weighing the used game price against the original MSRP?

Just curious... :P

I buy new and almost never used (save for old collector games).

Also, check my update above for your curiosity. :P

To answer though, yes, I get brand new console retail games for $5-$10 all the time. Sometimes for $2 for a brand new game, but yes, it's not newly released. It's crazy what retailers will do once they have overstock. If you have to have a game when it first releases, you won't find these deals, it's a lot of patience.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SolidTy
@prawephet said:

@tyloss: Sony also has a flash sale on the games. Tomb Raider and Thief are both heavily discounted on the PSN Store.

That's what I noticed last night by accident. This isn't a M$ deal at all, it's a Square Enix deal that works on PSN and XBL.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@prawephet said:

That's what I noticed last night by accident. This isn't a M$ deal at all, it's a Square Enix deal that works on PSN and XBL.

And Tomb Raider, regular edition, was for less than 7 bucks some two weeks ago on Steam as well, so this is a natural extension of this multifaceted deal.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SolidTy
@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@prawephet said:

And Tomb Raider, regular edition, was for less than 7 bucks some two weeks ago on Steam as well, so this is a natural extension of this multifaceted deal.

But not this week because I checked Steam after I saw the PSN deals last night by accident. I have hundreds of PC games...not that I would bite, as I avoid digital when there is a retail, physical, sell-able alternative.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SolidTy
@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

At the moment of posting there was no OFFICIAL INFO ON ANY PSN DEALS ANYWHERE. THIS SURFACED FIRST. I thought it was more of a MS thing just like for example Eurogamer thought. Why u playing smart after the fact?

I understand that you relied on a source that wasn't entirely accurate. It's all good. That happens. If a source fails, we don't get the whole picture. Luckily, foruming has an easy solution as we can update our posts.

That's my point, you could easily update your thread title now that you know the truth about this deal as many of us including myself have done in our own threads when new information becomes apparent. Saves the audience time and people that never click on the thread will even know by the title the news.

Would you prefer I play smart before the fact? I found out about the PSN deal by accident because I don't care about DD games that have physical alternatives, so I only came to inform that this is a SE deal running on XBL and PSN.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@SolidTy: It may interest you to know that I brought that price into my local FutureShop and they matched it. Actually got the physical copy for $26.99. For Americans you would look at Best Buy.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Nice...might pick up Thief at that price.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidTy

@prawephet said:

@SolidTy: It may interest you to know that I brought that price into my local FutureShop and they matched it. Actually got the physical copy for $26.99. For Americans you would look at Best Buy.

This is what I'm talking about. A physical retail sell-able copy with a half decent price...Thanks for the heads up, prawephet.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@tyloss said:

Don't think that's the reason SquareEnix is cutting the price. LOL!!

This is what they should have been priced at for the digital version anyways.

I'm still not wasting my money for either game.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@prawephet said:

This is what I'm talking about. A physical retail sell-able copy with a half decent price...Thanks for the heads up, prawephet.

Such deals are only for Americans, though. The least I could find it for PS4 in Poland is $53! ha!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidTy

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@prawephet said:

Such deals are only for Americans, though. The least I could find it for PS4 in Poland is $53! ha!

That would be hard for me to deal with if I lived there, I don't blame ya.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@SolidTy said:

@prawephet said:

That would be hard for me to deal with if I lived there, I don't blame ya.

You can buy it digitally for around $30 which isn't bad deal if it's a one-off purchase bearing in mind you wouldn't do much with it after you've finished it. So it's either that or buying it new and reselling it or trading it in (I know good sites that are community-based where shops don't rip you off). Personally I would never buy a game like Tomb Raider and keep it because once you finish it, there's nothing left and multiplayer's tacked on (though ironically I'm keeping it on my 360 as a physical copy because I reckon when I'll be selling it - it will be worth a lot for the potential buyer).