Mass Effect 2 or Read Dead Redemption?

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Mass Effect 2 or Read Dead Redemption? (50 votes)

Mass Effect 2 70%
Red Dead Redemption 30%

Disclaimer, yes neither game has any similarities with each other. However, they were both GOTY their respective year with Red Dead receiving the most amount of awards. However, I alwayse felt that Mass Effect 2 should have been the defacto winner. I love how Bioware streamlined the experience and actually making it a blast to play, not to mention the amazing production and story.

I got a bit bored with Red Dead at times, but still a superb game.

So who should have won?

• 
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39521 Posts

Apple or orange?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36923 Posts

I like both, don't see utility of pitting them against each other. I will give Red Dead Redemption the edge of having a self contained story.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 7426 Posts

Back in 2010, I was campaigning for Red Dead Redemption as GOTY, and it did win the most GOTYs.

retrospectively speaking, I think Mass Effect 2 was a better game. 8 years later we got Red Dead Redemption II which was a vastly superior game in every way it makes it hard to ever go back to RDR after playing RDR2.

ME2 has not received this treatment; ME3 and ME:A were both completely garbage games and IMO we haven't had an RPG like ME2 for the rest of the decade.

RDR is a 9.5/10 game

ME2 a 9.6/10 game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 9909 Posts

@MonsieurX: One is a fruit, the other one looks like a fruit but is really one of those annoying porcelain fruits used for decoration.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 1762 Posts

Both were great, but the world and lore of Mass Effect 2 is just much better.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 14808 Posts

Mass effect 2 is one of the most overrated and among the worst game i have ever played. its neither good RPG nor good shooter. just a bland cover shooter with RPG elements.

Red dead was boring GTA clone but better due to west setting.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5141 Posts

Apparent remaster in 2021, perhaps consoles can finally not play at sub 30 fps.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20093 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Mass effect 2 is one of the most overrated and among the worst game i have ever played. its neither good RPG nor good shooter. just a bland cover shooter with RPG elements.

Red dead was boring GTA clone but better due to west setting.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5268 Posts

Mass Effect 2

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63084 Posts

Dislike how both of them play.

Mass Effect 2 tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Red Dead. I hate the Mass Effect series and it almost turned me off from playing any RPGs ever.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

Dislike how both of them play.

Mass Effect 2 tho.

true but mass effect is far worse. Im not even RPG fan and i can say its baby's first RPG.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 39827 Posts

Still searching for a good wall-cover game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 63084 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

true but mass effect is far worse. Im not even RPG fan and i can say its baby's first RPG.

I don't care. RPG's are often wack and ruin games with their systems. In ME2 you at least gotta aim. In Red Dead that shit is literally lock on combat like you're playing Zelda, except its a gun and the enemies die in a headshot.

Mass Effect also has powers you can have, powers you can pair with squad shit, and at least different types of enemies n a pretty stacked cast of characters n a fun scifi setting. Red Dead has John Marston n the setting n the music n stuff, but the gameplay is measurably worse. Has less mechanics, and the comparable base cover shooting that both of them share is at the least done better in ME2.

Both play bad, but Red Dead plays worse.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

Still searching for a good wall-cover game.

This is only one i can say is good. or somewhat masterpeice. probably would be better without wall cover.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 4982 Posts

ME2 and it's not even close. Rockstar just give you open worlds to mess about in, ME2 was an actual game.

I'm not saying Red Dead was bad, just nowhere near as polished and developed as ME2 which had incredible depth versus Red Dead which was as deep as a random droplet.

Promising Amateurs v Established Pros in some ways, seriously. Red Dead 2 is the same incidentally, fantastic open world, awful game, worse than the first one in fact, IMO, naturally.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 1596 Posts

ME2 not even a question.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 3096 Posts

ME2 by far. RDR had too many boring chase or escape missions with bad shooting and massive auto aim. It wasn't a horrible game, but I always felt it was overrated.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30733 Posts

Talk about a tough choice as I thoroughly enjoyed both but I think I would give Mass Effect the slight edge.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@jg4xchamp said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I don't care. RPG's are often wack and ruin games with their systems. In ME2 you at least gotta aim. In Red Dead that shit is literally lock on combat like you're playing Zelda, except its a gun and the enemies die in a headshot.

Mass Effect also has powers you can have, powers you can pair with squad shit, and at least different types of enemies n a pretty stacked cast of characters n a fun scifi setting. Red Dead has John Marston n the setting n the music n stuff, but the gameplay is measurably worse. Has less mechanics, and the comparable base cover shooting that both of them share is at the least done better in ME2.

Both play bad, but Red Dead plays worse.

When i used to had console (360) i beated RDR1, on other hand I played mass effect 2 for an hour i guess before i uninstalled it.

RDR has setting sure. Mass effect has better setting as sci fi space is even better but gameplay is more awful.

combat in both games are gears of war with regen health take cover.

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By floppydics
Member since 2014 • 353 Posts

I am the very model of a scientist Salarian

I've studies species turian, asari, and batarian

I'm quite good at genetics as a subset of biology

Because I am an expert which I know is a tautology.

The one with this. Enjoyed the whole trilogy I feel ME3 is the weakest but still pretty good and it has some of the most personal emotional moments of the trilogy. ME has some of the best universe and character development to grace gaming. I miss Wrex, Garrus, Shepard and Tali.

So RDR, eh I enjoyed it loads when I played it on release but I don't look back on it so fondly. Only the ending was memorable and it suffers from slow, open world design. The pacing in Mass Effect 2 was stellar and the combat was fun. John Marston was pretty cool mind.

Weird games to compare but Mass Effect all day.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 4780 Posts

I liked both, voted for ME2 tho

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

RDR

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 353 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

RDR

Disagree but happy to see a fellow Sword of the Stars: The pit fan :)

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 2266 Posts

Never played either, but I went RDR just because I like Rockstar more than Bioware.

I also played about halfway through the original ME and thought it was hot trash, and I hear all the games are basically the same from a gameplay perspective

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46959 Posts

ME 2 by a country mile.

RDR 2 is...impressive...but that's about it. It has huge scale but damn it all, it's just too much work and not enough fun.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 56005 Posts

Both were great. This was a dumb comparison, but i'm glad you at least acknowledged it. I guess I enjoyed ME2 more...

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 187 Posts

@floppydics:

Mordin for the win.

ME2 gets my vote. Possibly my favorite game of last gen.

RDR is just (maybe a bit better then) ok

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7038 Posts

I think ME2 was the best instance of video game story telling in any game to date yet, when you factor in the combination of aesthetics, story told, and general use of the medium. It gets my vote.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3104 Posts

red dead.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mozelleple112

@blueinheaven: Come on man, RDR2 is one of the most polished and immersive, well-thought games of all time.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 11324 Posts

The more time that has passed I look less fondly at the ME series...of which I've sunk 100s of hour into. Maybe it's the dull voice acting from male Shepard, the melo drama of relationships, or ME3 f*cking up the ending. With that being said ME2 was still damn good outside of the dumbest last boss battle imaginable. Give me ME3 gameplay with a coherent story and I'd be down for something fresh.

RDR wins by default because of the stupid human reaper boss fight. Dumb idea, dumb fight.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 51830 Posts

RDR. Come on, now.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 16672 Posts

I think Red Dead is one of the best open world games last gen ... loved how authentic the setting was and the protagonist was great, not to mention the bittersweet ending ... With that being said ... Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games last gen, from the whole space opera done well, to the characters and yes i had a ton of fun with some of the most memorable missions.

So i say Mass Effect 2.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 730 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Both were great. This was a dumb comparison, but i'm glad you at least acknowledged it. I guess I enjoyed ME2 more...

It wasn't a comparison, though. We're talking about which game deserved GOTY. By your logic, no website should have awarded either game because they're different.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5480 Posts

I can still go back to RDR, because it hasn't been ruined by subsequent entries. The story is still relevant. I loved both about the same on release, but EA did an EA so its RDR for me.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 4982 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@blueinheaven: Come on man, RDR2 is one of the most polished and immersive, well-thought games of all time.

I was talking about the first one. The second was a lot more polished, the game was pants though, it takes a lot more than an impressive environment to immerse me.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 1596 Posts

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Never played either, but I went RDR just because I like Rockstar more than Bioware.

I also played about halfway through the original ME and thought it was hot trash, and I hear all the games are basically the same from a gameplay perspective

ME2/3 are very similar gameplay wise, ME1 is completely different, I love the story in the original, I loved driving around planets in the mako (yes I'm sick) and generally I have fond memories, but ME1 has some atrocious technical faults and very very poor shooting mechanics, 2 and 3 are far more EA action movie type experiences but they are done very well (with the exceptions of 3's ending), ME1 is closer to the traditional Bioware RPG but is far less refined in terms of gameplay, performance and presentation.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 15709 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

I was talking about the first one. The second was a lot more polished, the game was pants though, it takes a lot more than an impressive environment to immerse me.

@sonny2dap said:
@vl4d_l3nin said:

ME2/3 are very similar gameplay wise, ME1 is completely different, I love the story in the original, I loved driving around planets in the mako (yes I'm sick) and generally I have fond memories, but ME1 has some atrocious technical faults and very very poor shooting mechanics, 2 and 3 are far more EA action movie type experiences but they are done very well (with the exceptions of 3's ending), ME1 is closer to the traditional Bioware RPG but is far less refined in terms of gameplay, performance and presentation.

mass effect 1 is ten times beter than the second one, because of the planet exploration, it really gave the game that feel that you were a space explorer, it's even something that no man's sky tried to capitalize on, of course it was missing everything else like a story, gameplay and characters in general.

mass effect 2 was still a great game, but it completely took away the feel of being a space explorer by taking away the planet missions. it felt like a linear game. as a sequel it was good enough but it could never compete with the first one since what made mass effect 2 good was als in the first one.

It's also the reason why i voted red dead redemption. Unlike mass effect 2, it had a concept that was complete, it felt a lot more polished than the gta games and made the world feel alive with the animals and random events, it didn't came as close to a living breathing world like skyrim, but it was surely a step in the right direction by rockstar.

and the graphics for 2009, rdr was revolutionary, just look how lifelike the horses were made.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mozelleple112

@commander: Mass Effect 1 isn't even 1/10th of the game Mass Effect 2 was.

that 'Space exploration' was extremely bland and poorly made. Complete and utter gimmick.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commander
Member since 2010 • 15709 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@commander: Mass Effect 1 isn't even 1/10th of the game Mass Effect 2 was.

that 'Space exploration' was extremely bland and poorly made. Complete and utter gimmick.

it wasn't bland for 2007

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 36057 Posts

Mass Effect 2, was my least favorite outta the bunch ( never played ME:A but from what I heard it would likely be the worst ) so choosing RDR is a no brainer.

All in all tho, ME series > RDR series.... for now. :P

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9256 Posts

I couldn't get into RDR. I got bored with it. Oddly enough, I'm enjoying the 2nd one a lot more. In contrast, ME2 really held my attention and I've replayed it plenty of times. So it gets my vote.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 6031 Posts

Both Red Dead games are extremely overrated.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clone01
Member since 2003 • 27962 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Apple or orange?

this^

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 1932 Posts

Can't believe both games are 10 years old now.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
GoldenElementXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GoldenElementXL
Member since 2016 • 4323 Posts

Rockstars gameplay, especially shooting has always been bad. ME2 was serviceable and had some neat abilities. I really don’t care for RPG elements like skill points and all that stuff, but ME2 nailed the setting and some of the characters.

ME2 by a mile