Mario Tennis doesn't let you play Tennis - What?

• 65 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/mario_tennis_aces_wonrt_let_you_play_a_regular_game_of_tennis_and_players_arent_happy

Mario Tennis Aces Won’t Let You Play A Regular Game Of Tennis, And Players Aren't Happy

According to Eurogamer, there are a number of disgruntled Mario Tennis Aces owners. The uproar stems from the fact the game, outside of CPU tournaments, only allows users to play a streamlined version of tennis, following the same scoring, but not the fully established game, set and match rules.

Instead, it’s the best of three games wins the match. As there are no sets, it’s possible to win a match in eight points. Users have reportedly searched around, and so far have had no luck changing these settings.

In past entries in the series, players were able to adjust the game and set count to shorten or prolong a match. The absence of this option in the latest release currently has multiple players frustrated they can no longer engage in any serious mental battles on the court.

As a Reddit user explains:

It removes all the deep analysis you sort through when battle a tough opponent.

It belittles the mental warfare you and your opponent are having as you try to outplay one another.

It dispatches the adaptability of techniques you need to utilise when your opponent has figured your playstyle out.

It erases the incredible comeback victories you can have after being down 90 per cent of the match. It completely shatters the rewarding feeling of fighting tooth-and-nail for 20+ minutes to come out the victor by a tiny margin. It makes for very shallow gameplay for most matches because there isn't enough time to feel like you are developing a good strategy against your opponent.

Generally speaking, this naturally goes against what tennis is all about. Long and hard battles on the court where the stronger and smarter mind can often win.

What do you make of all this commotion? Do you think Mario Tennis Aces, a fun take on the popular sport, should more closely resemble the real-life version of the game? Or do you think streamlined rules are a better fit for a title like this? Tell us below.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

It's a freaking ARCADE sports game. That's like complaining that Mario Kart doesn't play like F1 or NFL Blitz doesn't play like Madden.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

My Daughter and I were highly disappointed by the lack of options for Aces and sets. We play couch co-op and we like sets that at least let's us both serve before it ends without having to let the other team win one. Maybe Nintendo blew all their game budget on advertisement, since they used Nadal? We just got the game 2 days ago.

Everything about this game tells me Nintendo was desperate to appeal to the competitive scene/Esports crowd.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Kidtendo strikes again. The rules of tennis are too complicated for the 5 year olds, so it has to be simplified.

They did the same with rubber banding in Mario Kart Wii, the children were crying when they couldn't win against skilled opponents so they made it more random chance than skill based.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Well that sucks big time. I was kind of interested in it, but if you can't even play a full match, then there's no point. The N64, and especially the one for the GBC, are still by far the best Mario tennis games it seems.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

@APiranhaAteMyVa: Wait what? Aces is a damn complex, intense and tactical game. By no means is it “simplified tennis”.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Manbabies strike again.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Basinboy: Disagree big time on that. As someone that's a fan of tennis and plays it too, a best of 3 games is the equivalent of playing 1 inning of a baseball game or 5 minutes of a 4 quarter basketball or football game.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

As a Tennis fan, hope Nintendo patches this up. I'm getting a Switch next month, but won't buy a game that is not true to the scoring system.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

This thread is proof that people will bitch about anything

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@goldenelementxl said:

This thread is proof that people will bitch about anything

It's a legit complaint though. Not even being able to play a single set against a friend is pretty ridiculous especially when past entries had the option too.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

That’s because it is Wii Sports Tennis with a Mario Skin.

LOL at Nintendo fans who were expecting more from Nintendo. Nintendo is famous for being low budget, lazy and pumping out 1 month development ports of old games.

You get what you pay for.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

honestly the game feels rushed to me.

i am not going to buy it.

but let lets not say its been dumbed down. the online makes this the most competitive mario tennis ever. and the local matches are basically just practice for you to go online.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

ANTI-CONSUMER!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: -2

#15 deactivated-5b553a3d72a3b
Member since 2018 • 191 Posts

I know this probably makes me a crybaby and a man-child, but I definitely wouldn't buy the game unless they patched that.

Why not include the option in the first place? What are they afraid of?
There's a limit to kid friendliness...

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@lightsbane said:

I know this probably makes me a crybaby and a man-child, but I definitely wouldn't buy the game unless they patched that.

Why not include the option in the first place? What are they afraid of?

There's a limit to kid friendliness...

I wouldn't call shortening a match as being kid-friendly. It's just... odd. Like why even do that? If it was a best of 3 sets, with no other options, that could have been acceptable, but 3 games? To be blunt, if you're not complaining about this, then you're someone that doesn't know jack shit about tennis.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

" But but ... this scored 8/10 , its amazing, its solid, another great addition, you hater " blabla. What is this now ? Hahaha ...

Anyways, instead of crying about it and instead of praising/defending Nintendo for every shit people calling em out for, criticize them for once and let em know that something needs to be changed and most probably theyll do something about it with a patch or two since its something that can be fixed. ( and stop being so butthurt when someone tells you this game didnt deserve 8 or you wouldnt give a shit about it if it wasnt a mario game like its the end of the world )

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Keep the criticisms coming and they will patch it hopefully

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#19 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

the best Mario Tennis game for me will always be Mario Tennis 64 and Mario Tennis GBC

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Ah so when Battlefield adds women, we're supposed to suspend everything and say it's not real anyway.

But when a Tennis game makes a creative choice, we do demand realism.

Those arguing for realistic rules cannot support things like women in Battlefield.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Needhealing

@so_hai said:

Ah so when Battlefield adds women, we're supposed to suspend everything and say it's not real anyway.

Those arguing for realistic rules cannot support things like women in Battlefield.

If you open up a history book, you'd know that woman also fought in WW2.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#22 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@needhealing:

@needhealing said:
@so_hai said:

So EA ARE going for realism then?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Never a good idea to remove an option that they already have in the past. Hopefully will be patched up. :P

carlquincy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 carlquincy
Member since 2012 • 391 Posts

Does this change impact any gameplay elements? If not, why would they change the well established norms?

What a weird choice by Nintendo.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

@superbuuman said:

Never a good idea to remove an option that they already have in the past. Hopefully will be patched up. :P

We are fortunate to live at a time in gaming history that games that have certain issues can be patched up through an update via the Internet. Not only bugs or other issues can be patched, but new features can be introduced into the game so if Nintendo is really listening to gamer feedback, the alleged "missing" features will be available in a future patch.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Why does Nintendo do this?

Why are they content with putting in such little effort? Skimping on the content? And then being so arrogant and have the nerve to charge AAA prices for what should be a budget game? Is it because they’re so utterly incompetent in being able to keep sufficient momentum for their platform going that they have to rush games out the door when they’re not done? Here’s an idea Nintendo: EXPAND! Use some of that immense bankroll and establish 3-4 new studios! Shocker, I know. Where the hell is their pride as a developer? Nintendo has become lazy and incredibly complacent.....and the worst thing is, they get away with it.

I don’t support Nintendo anymore and won’t until they change and start actually working for their dime instead of putting in minimal effort while leaning back on legacy and leveraging nostalgia to get away with this. I don’t care what anyone says, this company has gone down the shi**er and is a pathetic joke in so many areas compared to what they used to be. What’s hilarious is that they, hiding out in their little offices in Kyoto, still believe themselves to be king of the hill.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Switch continues to be a huge disappointment just like Wii and WiiU. Nothing but WiiU ports and flops.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#28  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Most Nintendo games suck outside of the core Mario and Zelda games. This Mario Tennis is just another example. I am seriously thinking of selling my Switch because I rarely use it. Maybe the new Metroid Prime will be good, but that is not coming for a while and there is nothing else announced that interests me. I never bought a Wii or Wii U because I felt most of the titles were half-ass and that trend seems to be continuing. Nintendo is so overrated. I miss the Nintendo of old (NES to GameCube).

BTW, Maria Sharapova is still looking mighty fine. :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

Why does Nintendo do this?

Why are they content with putting in such little effort? Skimping on the content? And then being so arrogant and have the nerve to charge AAA prices for what should be a budget game? Is it because they’re so utterly incompetent in being able to keep sufficient momentum for their platform going that they have to rush games out the door when they’re not done? Here’s an idea Nintendo: EXPAND! Use some of that immense bankroll and establish 3-4 new studios! Shocker, I know. Where the hell is their pride as a developer? Nintendo has become lazy and incredibly complacent.....and the worst thing is, they get away with it.

I don’t support Nintendo anymore and won’t until they change and start actually working for their dime instead of putting in minimal effort while leaning back on legacy and leveraging nostalgia to get away with this. I don’t care what anyone says, this company has gone down the shi**er and is a pathetic joke in so many areas compared to what they used to be. What’s hilarious is that they, hiding out in their little offices in Kyoto, still believe themselves to be king of the hill.

That's a lot of complaining for not having many options in their Mario Tennis game. Not to defend something that could easily be fixed but come on, it's a Mario Tennis game, a game that has basically nothing to do with Tennis other than having rackets and balls.

What about Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey? Those were half-assed with minimal effort?

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

It's a freaking ARCADE sports game. That's like complaining that Mario Kart doesn't play like F1 or NFL Blitz doesn't play like Madden.

Uh, no. That's like a race in Mario Kart stopping before anybody reaches the finish line. Seriously, Nintendo fanboys are the worst. Why do you have to sugarcoat absolutely everything Nintendo does?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
@nethernova said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Uh, no. That's like a race in Mario Kart stopping before anybody reaches the finish line. Seriously, Nintendo fanboys are the worst. Why do you have to sugarcoat absolutely everything Nintendo does?

Uh, no. It's like Mario Kart not following the rules of F1 or some other real racing sport. Mario Tennis not following real Tennis rules is not equal to Mario Kart being completely unplayable. Stop telling others to not sugarcoat everything Nintendo when you exaggerate everything negative about them.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Hot Shots looks much better than this anyway.

Good balance of not trying to be too realistic (and therefore playing like shit/very automated) and not too gimmicky with all the cheesy over the top effects/bs this game seems to have.

LocalBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LocalBully
Member since 2018 • 43 Posts

more games for kiddies

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#34 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

If I remember correctly, even the bare bones Ultra Smash had this option.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

It’s arcade tennis....people are so stupid.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Needhealing

@so_hai said:

@needhealing:

@needhealing said:
@so_hai said:

So EA ARE going for realism then?

You're comparing apple to oranges. A sports game to an FPS, which is not realistic.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BassMan

@Bread_or_Decide said:

It’s arcade tennis....people are so stupid.

Virtua Tennis was arcade tennis and it was great. Mario Tennis is just another silly franchise that milks the Mario brand.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@so_hai said:

what do battlefield and EA have to do with mario tennis and nintendo? really you're defending Nintendo that hard?

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Lol at sheep defending a $60 game with the content of a F2P game.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide

If this is the only fight you got against the switch and mario tennis, your fight is weak and desperate.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bread_or_Decide

@BassMan: Virtua Tennis lacked many features and wasn’t arcadey like this game.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bread_or_Decide

@AzatiS: Or maybe ten loud people don’t get to call the shots. Plenty are happy with the game and not bitching online over every little thing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BassMan

@Bread_or_Decide said:

It was designed for actual arcades and wasn't exactly simulation. So, I would definitely say it is arcadey. hehe :)

Mario Tennis is certainly more silly and ridiculous though.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Renegade_Fury
@Bread_or_Decide said:

If this is the only fight you got against the switch and mario tennis, your fight is weak and desperate.

You sure this is the hill you want to die on? All people want is to play a satisfying match with their friends and family like past iterations, and it's something that can easily be patched too. You have to be one hell of a fanboy to defend it, because length of a match has nothing to do with being arcade like or realistic. It'd be the same as if EA only let Madden have games that take place over 5 minutes, and we all know no one would give them a pass.

Instead of going after people that are calling out such a dumb choice by Nintendo, you should let them speak out, because that's the only way these companies become aware that they made a mistake and improve. You don't have to feel bad or embarrassed, because it's not as if they're making us a game out of the goodness of their hearts. They're trying to sell us a product, so as a potential consumer, I'm letting them know I'd consider buying their game if they provided better exhibition options.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Oh shut up.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:

@AzatiS: Or maybe ten loud people don’t get to call the shots. Plenty are happy with the game and not bitching online over every little thing.

Nope, they still bitching when someone says is not as solid as they praising to be. You see how bitching works both ways ? At least when you hear that from sheep themselves doesnt let you alot of room for further debate. Game is ok.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bread_or_Decide

@Ant_17: You sure showed me.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bread_or_Decide

@Renegade_Fury: I’ve died on shittier hills. It’s a solid game. These complaints are stupid.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Renegade_Fury

@Bread_or_Decide: Cool, so you're just a fanboy then. Good to know.