Mario Kart 8 is outselling Infamous:SS among others

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

One is Mario Kart, one of the best selling gaming series of all time. The other one is a piece of garbage.

Not surprising to say the least, also this is from one retailer. Will MK have outsold Infamous elsewhere as well?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

People seem to forget that Mario Kart Wii sold about 30 million copies. This is not that surprising.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@DarkLink77 said:

People seem to forget that Mario Kart Wii sold about 30 million copies. This is not that surprising.

I'd say it kind of is considering Wii U is selling like ass, even adding the fact that, at launch, Mario 3D World (one of Nintendo's other key games for Wii U) got it's ass kicked by Knack (in the UK; and it continued) and Lightning Returns (in Japan; 3D World overthrew it eventually though).

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@DarkLink77 said:

I'd say it kind of is considering Wii U is selling like ass, even adding the fact that, at launch, Mario 3D World (one of Nintendo's other key games for Wii U) got it's ass kicked by Knack (in the UK; and it continued) and Lightning Returns (in Japan; 3D World overthrew it eventually though).

3D Mario games have never done as well, though. Even Galaxy only did about 9 million on an install base of 90+ million. That's not all that hot. Now compare Mario Kart, which did 30 million on that same system, and you'll see the difference.

If there's about 6-7 million Wii U's sold, that would give the new Mario Kart about 2+ million if we assume the same attach rate. If you do the same for Mario (1 game per 10 systems), it won't even break a million.

Sounds about right to me, wouldn't you say?

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Sweenix said:

This is amazon. The place where a 99c download off theif was the top selling game last month

Sheep are really grasping for straws here

Mario Kart 8 will most likely outsell infamous second son by the end of this gen anyway.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

This is amazon. The place where a 99c download off theif was the top selling game last month

Mario Kart 8 will most likely outsell infamous second son by the end of this gen anyway.

It'll outsell it several times over when all is said and done.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#58 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@speak_low said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

One of the top selling franchises of all time

Franchise has 100 million + lifetime sales

Last console iteration sold 35+ million

It needs to do more than "beat Infamous" for anyone to give a shit.

Well put.

The Sheep hug onto that Amazon link like a UFC grappler. It's the only link that makes the Wii U look better since it's up against random things like PSN cards and a steering wheel. Very desperate

Thank goodness I don't support a system that has to depend so heavily on one game. That's so sad lmao

You seem to be incapable of understanding that sheep are not necessarily supportive of Nintendo systems, but of great games, no matter where they come from. Currently my most played games are Civilization V, Mario Kart 8, and Persona 4 Golden, and all of them are on three different systems, and each system is from a different manufacturer. You seem to be so carried away with your baseless Nintendo hate that you don't understand, ultimately we care about games, not systems. Nintendo makes incredible games. Mario Kart 8 is an incredible game. It's doing well, and that makes it happy.

Meanwhile, because you're allied to systems instead of games, you can't stand the thought of something Nintendo doing well, start damage controlling, and just generally come off as a pretty grumpy and unhappy person. I would say I pity you, but more than anything, I laugh at you. Please carry on, it's entertaining.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#59 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts
@speak_low said:

So now Sheep care about sales? Do Sheep even play MK8? Why aren't they karting online now with one of the biggest games they'll ever get?

I didn't say I didn't care about Infamous. It didn't lose anything. It's a late March game. DK: Tropical Freeze came out one month earlier and is completely dead and still hasn't sold anywhere close to a million units.

The MK8 sales are good (it will be Wii U's highest-selling game), but the PS4 version of Watch_Dogs still outsells MK8. Sony gamers do buy games considering Watch_Dogs, Infamous:SS and Killzone: SF all crossed the million mark (and all three PS4 games are now guaranteed to pass 2 million soon). Show me how many Wii U games even touched the 1 million mark. It's a disappointingly small "list" for a console out the longest.

Conclusion #1: Nintendo owners love to buy Nintendo 1st party exclusives and MK games. Sales for third-party, however, are terrible. Great MK8 sales today =/= immediate third-party support tomorrow (depending on how publishers look at these results).

Conclusion #2: Sony gamers buy more games, have more online games to play and more gamers to play with than the Wii U does, and so Killzone:SF can have the lowest population ever and, honestly, it won't mean crap. Publishers are still sticking with the PS4 more than Wii U from here on out. Nothing has changed.

Do the Sheep have anything more earth-shattering to share in terms of comparisons? Because these Amazon links and Killzone/CoD comparisons barely register on the scale of importance when it comes to the future of the PS4. They're like poorly thought-out comparisons made from idly browsing Amazon and thinking "Oh, this would make a good thread" because one Wii U thingy is higher/bigger than another PS4 thingy," without much of a compelling point about where these consoles really stand in the industry.

Sheep seem to favor weak comparisons and observations because, obviously, using more comprehensive data and better charts make the Wii U look worse. It manages to bring the Sheep back down to Earth, which is amazing for land mammals of that size

So I'll take that as "No" then?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I thought Sheep didn't care about sales lol.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By super600  Moderator

@Bigboi500 said:

@super600 said:

@Sweenix said:

It'll outsell it several times over when all is said and done.

7 -7.5 million to 3-3.5 million most likely in favour of mario kart 8 unless the WiiU explodes in sales.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@I_can_haz said:

Just like cows didn't back in the PS3 era, you mean? :-3

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By super600  Moderator

@speak_low said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Okay so not only do Cows Not care about Killzone, but now they don't care about Infamous?

Do you guys even PLAY Sony's Games???

So now Sheep care about sales? Do Sheep even play MK8? Why aren't they karting online now with one of the biggest games they'll ever get?

I didn't say I didn't care about Infamous. It didn't lose anything. It's a late March game. DK: Tropical Freeze came out one month earlier and is completely dead and still hasn't sold anywhere close to a million units.

The MK8 sales are good (it will be Wii U's highest-selling game), but the PS4 version of Watch_Dogs still outsells MK8. Sony gamers do buy games considering Watch_Dogs, Infamous:SS and Killzone: SF all crossed the million mark (and all three PS4 games are now guaranteed to pass 2 million soon). Show me how many Wii U games even touched the 1 million mark. It's a disappointingly small "list" for a console out the longest.

Conclusion #1: Nintendo owners love to buy Nintendo 1st party exclusives and MK games. Sales for third-party, however, are terrible. Great MK8 sales today =/= immediate third-party support tomorrow (depending on how publishers look at these results).

Conclusion #2: Sony gamers buy more games, have more online games to play and more gamers to play with than the Wii U does, and so Killzone:SF can have the lowest population ever and, honestly, it won't mean crap. Publishers are still sticking with the PS4 more than Wii U from here on out. Nothing has changed.

Do the Sheep have anything more earth-shattering to share in terms of comparisons? Because these Amazon links and Killzone/CoD comparisons barely register on the scale of importance when it comes to the future of the PS4. They're like poorly thought-out comparisons made from idly browsing Amazon and thinking "Oh, this would make a good thread" because one Wii U thingy is higher/bigger than another PS4 thingy," without much of a compelling point about where these consoles really stand in the industry.

Sheep seem to favor weak comparisons and observations because, obviously, using more comprehensive data and better charts make the Wii U look worse. It manages to bring the Sheep back down to Earth, which is amazing for land mammals of that size

This is not true. Almost all of Sony's exclusives besides GT5 struggled to break the 7 million mark last gen. The same may be true this gen. And a game's online population can be affected by negative word of mouth which can also cripple the amount the game sells(i.e Halo 4, Killzone shadow fall)

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@I_can_haz said:

Thing is that was last gen though. Sheep claim not to care about sales within the same gen lol. After MK8 falls off the charts you guys will be back to not caring about sales XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@I_can_haz said:

@charizard1605 said:

@I_can_haz said:

Thing is that was last gen though. Sheep claim not to care about sales within the same gen lol. After MK8 falls off the charts you guys will be back to not caring about sales XD

Nah man, within last gen itself, cows started to trumpet about sales whenever PS3 started outselling Xbox 360 lol. Thing about fanboys is, they will grasp at any opportunity they get to trumpet their own platform. They're never consistent, they are all hypocrites. You and me included.

Now, about Mario Kart 8, I would like to think that the celebration over its success is more of a sigh of relief at the fact that such an amazing game actually managed to sell so well, and was not constrained by the ghastly userbase of its platform, than anything else. Ultimately, it's about games, and Mario Kart 8 is a wonderful game. Isn't it doing well, then, a cause for celebration?

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Mario Kart 8 is making me want to buy a Wii U, but the Wii U controller is keeping me from buying one. Infamous and Killzone are not and have never been big sellers, so I'm not surprised.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@ButDuuude said:

Mario Kart 8 is making me want to buy a Wii U, but the Wii U controller is keeping me from buying one. Infamous and Killzone are not and have never been big sellers, so I'm not surprised.

Just get the Wii U Pro controller, you can play the entirety of MK8 with that, if you so wish.

@DarkLink77 said:

35 million units. It is the highest selling game of all time (not counting bundled ones like Wii Sports).

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#68 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Lol Infamous

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:
@asylumni said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@asylumni: You'd be surprised how many people are not aware of that.

Oddly enough, that's true. I personally know 5 people that bought the game... and none of them knew they could get a free game until I told them. Actually just told two of them today lol.

Anecdotal evidence and all that, but still.

Though I don't know anyone that bought the game, I'd have a hard time thinking this escaped the eyes of CAG and I know it was posted a few times on slickdeals. I don't think it's a great leap to think this helped sales for those maybe on the fence about the game. Combine that with the fact that it's also a great game in it's own right from a very popular series, I really don't get the surprise that it shot up the sales list on amazon.

While you're giving it benefit of the doubt ("oh it's a popular video game therefore it's gonna sell") keep in mind that, this is the WiiU.

It's currently #14 on Amazon's Best of 2014 and currently outselling the PS3 version of GTAV, 360 version of COD Ghosts and Minecraft, and PS4's Infamous and Watchdogs.

Yep, it's on the WiiU. So what? Are you implying that WiiU owners don't play video games? It should also be noted that GTA 5, COD Ghosts and Minecraft are 2013 games, so all the first day buyers and Christmas shoppers aren't counted. There's also the mad sales this game got. $49 on June 5, in addition, you got a free game. Sure, some buyers may have been unaware, but the amazon page clearly states;

"Buy Mario Kart 8 and register at Club Nintendo between 5/30/14 and 7/31/14 to get a FREE download code from Nintendo for one of these great games: New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, or Wii Party U. Limited time offer. Download code expires on 9/30/14."

So one would think that amazon shoppers would be aware. In fact, there were some that evidently bought the game just for the code and returned the game open, which still counted as a sale.

So, yeah, I'm not surprised that 2 popular games for $49 beat out one for $60.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#70  Edited By ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

it's literally the only game worth buying a wii u for right now so pretty much every console sold should = a sale.

LOL, what the hell ever. The "Wii U has no games" argument is hardly valid anymore. It has been out a year and a half and is finally starting to hit it's stride with some great titles to pick one up for. For instance, here is what I am currently enjoying:

Mario Kart 8

Super Mario 3D World (more amazing than I could have ever dreamed)

ZombiU

Nintendo Land

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Zelda Windwaker HD

Wii Sports Club

On the agenda:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The Wonderful 101

Pikmin 3

Super Mario Bros U

Lego City Undercover

Looking forward to:

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

X

Zelda U

Super Smash Bros.

I am probably missing a few, plus I am sure we are in for more surprises. Then of course it's also the only system that is backwards compatible, there are no bullshit subscriptions for online and it is also cheaper. You see? There is a mountain of reasons to buy one.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@ironcreed said:

@k2theswiss said:

it's literally the only game worth buying a wii u for right now so pretty much every console sold should = a sale.

LOL, what the hell ever. The "Wii U has no games" argument is hardly valid anymore. It has been out a year and a half and is finally starting to hit it's stride with some great titles to pick one up for. For instance, here is what I am currently enjoying:

Mario Kart 8

ZombiU

Nintendo Land

Zelda Windwaker HD

Wii Sports Club

On the agenda:

The Wonderful 101

Pikmin 3

Super Mario Bros U

Lego City Undercover

Looking forward to:

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

X

Zelda U

Super Smash Bros.

I am probably missing a few, plus I am sure we are in for more surprises. Then of course it's also the only system that is backwards compatible, there are no bullshit subscriptions for online and it is also cheaper. You see? There is a mountain of reasons to buy one.

mario kart is the only game out right now that will cause a lot of console sales so yes it is literally the only game right now.

Sure pikmin, super mario 3d/u ~ cool but w/e

Wii Sports Club, ZombiU, Nintendo Land~ LAWLS no one cares

Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, X, Zelda U, Super Smash Bros.~ ~Not even released so once again the only game wii u has right now

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

@kingjazziephiz: I would hope so. It's been out twice as long.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#73 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

@ironcreed said:

@k2theswiss said:

Mario Kart 8

ZombiU

Nintendo Land

Zelda Windwaker HD

Wii Sports Club

On the agenda:

The Wonderful 101

Pikmin 3

Super Mario Bros U

Lego City Undercover

Looking forward to:

Hyrule Warriors

Bayonetta 2

X

Zelda U

Super Smash Bros.

mario kart is the only game out right now that will cause a lot of console sales so yes it is literally the only game right now.

Sure pikmin, super mario 3d/u ~ cool but w/e

Wii Sports Club, ZombiU, Nintendo Land~ LAWLS no one cares

Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, X, Zelda U, Super Smash Bros.~ ~Not even released so once again the only game wii u has right now

You can't just write all of the other games off. Many people who end up playing those games do indeed care. And I obviously listed future releases as something to look forward to on top of what is already available. My point is that there are plenty of games on top of other reasons I listed that make it a good purchase. But yes, MK8 is the game that is giving it a boost right now, no doubt about that. Yet that does not make it the only reason to buy one.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

Do sheep even care that all the Wii ewww is getting is sequels to decades old games?

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#76 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

35 million units. It is the highest selling game of all time (not counting bundled ones like Wii Sports).

Mario Kart Wii was also bundled with the console as well, just saying.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#77  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@augustevans: All that PS4 and Xbox One have ARE sequels.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@asylumni said:

So, yeah, I'm not surprised that 2 popular games for $49 beat out one for $60.

Especially when the 60 dollar game has been out for almost 3 months. Kids try too hard sometimes.

@hiphops_savior said:
@charizard1605 said:

TY. Was gonna point this out as well.

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79  Edited By kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

@Ragnarok1051: then people should really kill the Wii U has no games stuff

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#80 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@aroxx_ab: Yep, but to be fair, the game is pretty fun too.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

@augustevans said:

Do sheep even care that all the Wii ewww is getting is sequels to decades old games?

Nop, when they are great games i don't care if it is a sequel to Moon Patrol (hell, in fact...i want a sequel to Moon Patrol :P)

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

@augustevans: All that PS4 and Xbox One have ARE sequels.

Not true! They got hard-hitting original games! Like Knack and Ryse!

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

@PannicAtack: And Sunset Overdrive and The Order

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@lostrib said:

Well infamous came out in March... so this isn't really that surprising

This. Mario Kart is always a big seller for Ninteno anyways, so I'm not surprised. It is actually moving Wii U systems off the shelves? That's the big question.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@hiphops_savior said:
@charizard1605 said:

It had sold more than 32 million units before it was bundled, however.