FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Like i see, most noob console gamers never played original Mafia game on PC.

Mafia has one of the best stories of all time. Missions are amazing, score is amazing, all acting, tone and twist works so well. Mafia 2 was not so good like original Mafia but it was still a good game.

Console version is broken, and in gamespot 95% users are mostly "ONLY CONSOLE OWNERS" which is no wonder why people said it´s bad game. People should play PC version. It has a lot better frame rate, DLCs, gameplay, graphics and other stuff.

"MAFIA WAS NEVER ABOUT OPEN WORLD LIKE GTA. IT WAS ALL ABOUT GOOD STORY"

Steam reviews - 95% positive reviews. One of the highest rated games.

What you think ? What are imo your underrated games?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

First one was a great game; with a very good story.

Second one - not so much. Shitty stealth missions, too much time setting shit up. The man you play is an arsehole. Mafia 1 man was likeable.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#3 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I prefer the first, but I prefer Mint chip ice cream to vanilla. Doesn't make vanilla bad by any means. Mafia 2 was a fun ride, period.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

Haven't played Mafia 2 but the first one was Gosh darn amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Godfather 2 was better.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

One of the most underrated, yes. Most underrated? I think that is Freelancer.

@top_lel said:

Haven't played Mafia 2 but the first one was Gosh darn amazing.

You should play it. I really liked Mafia 2.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

Godfather 2 was better.

You mean this game?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

No it is not,it's not a terrible game but it is no match for MAFIA 1,they had alot to live upto and they didn't quite do it.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

Hell no, I remember I bought Max Payne 2, LA Noire and Mafia 2 together. The first two are such superior TPSes, Mafia 2 is like a PS1 game with upgraded graphics.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

it wasn't that bad, it's just an empty game once you completed the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

@Gamerno6666 said:

Godfather 2 was better.

You mean this game?

Your thread:

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

It could've been so much more but I liked what it had. Great PhysX effects too.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Currently playing it along with Resident Evil 4. Holy shit is Mafia 2 so much better

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

If its all about Story then I'd say it was rated appropriately......

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I didnt enjoy Mafia 2 as much as the first one TBH. The story was not as good and the characters where really dull, the only stand out character was Joe and only because he was annoying. It was an ok game good for one play through but thats about it for me. I played and finished Mafia 1 three times, it was a really good game.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

Played through Mafia 2 on my PS3 back when it was released, and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I seriously enjoyed Mafia 2. The gun play felt heavy and tight.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

This is called @jgx4champ bait.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Mafia 1 had a great story, a fantastic atmosphere and a brilliant ending. It's a shame that the gameplay was kind of janky. I also remember a certain car mission that sucked major ass. As for Mafia 2, haven't played it, and won't for a wile because there's way to much in my backlog right now.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#21 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Ask Champ.

He has always vouched for how underappreciated this game is.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I love moving those crates...

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

Yes! One of my top 5 games of all time. I don't know why it didn't receive the hype that other games have received. I'll put it up there with TLOU, HALO, ME2, and XCOM UFO Defense (original).

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Can't wait to see the response.

*grabs popcorn*

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Mafia 2 was a great game, I liked it a lot. The story was good, with great missions, and the driving physics is still the best around. Yes, the game world itself is pretty boring compared to games like GTA, but at least they prioritised the important stuff, like driving, shooting, and story. Unlike Watch Dogs, that game failed at everything. When you base your game on driving around, from mission to mission, you'll have to make the driving good, but so many fail at this. LA Noir, The godfather games, omg they were terrible.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Yeah the series is amazing. Must've beat the second one about 3 or 4 times. Really really hope they're working on a third

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Pretty much this.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife: 100% agree! I've always said Mafia 2 is one of the most underrated games I've played. I enjoyed it alot more than recent GTA games, that's for sure. Fingers crossed for Mafia 3!

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Mafia 2 is a generic third person shooter wrapped around a completely pointless and misleading openworld.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Like i see, most noob console gamers never played original Mafia game on PC.

Mafia 1 was amazing. I literally cried at the end. Mafia 2 was way, way worse in almost all aspects. The story, characters, length... It was all sub-par.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#31 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife: I am currently at the last chapter. It's a good game, but not a great game

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Shit, if that game was meant to be about story then it's one of the worst games ever created.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

The story was a massive cliche but I did enjoy the game and it's well worth grabbing for cheap. I really enjoyed the driving bits because the soundtrack is great.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

I enjoyed the game. Worth it.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

The gameplay was medicore and the story was terrible considering it was supposed to be the selling point. I agree that it was cliche, and I particularly disliked the very end of the story. By video game standards the story is okay overall, but let's not kid ourselves. If it were a movie it would be labelled a travesty of the mob movie genre.

That Godfather game was a better kind of thing than what Mafia 2 was attempting. It had more neat side quests like strong holds, and tried cool things like the crew system. I also played the wii version which used motion sensing for you to physically strangle people with garrot wire. It's based on truly excellent source material as well, and it was neat to see the game translate scenes and add things to it in areas. It reminded me of Goldeneye on the N64 in that way (although there's more original content in Godfather).

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#37 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Mafia was amazing, no worries about that. Story was intriguing, personal and that ending.

But Mafia 2 was a mess, the story was poor and convoluted. Vito is a bad character. The action and visuals were amazing. The missions were nowhere near as good as say the farm mission in Mafia. And that horrible ending. Also the world is pretty empty and pointless. Which would not be a problem if the story and missions were as good as 1, but they were not.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Absolutely not. The game is hot garbage, beyond just being inferior to its predecessor.

Tommy Angelo was a relatively (by low ass video game standards) well done character, as he actually earned the audiences attention. Vito? worthless piece of shit who comes back from the war to get back into the same shitty habits he tried to avoid in the first place. Through out the entire game he rarely fucking takes times to learn, improve, or show any sign of how much of a scumbag he is, or noticing how it effects those around him. I mean the dumb shit will act like Joe is a dumb influence and then still do the shit the idiot says. It be one thing if they were creating a monster ala Michael Carleone becoming his father in The Godfather, but it isn't that. It's not even close to that. The plot line comes down to the most generic fucking mobster story ever: crime doesn't pay.

The open world aspect makes very little sense in the context of that game. Yes from a superficial standpoint it provides atmosphere, but purely as a game it adds nothing to the experience. What the **** is it even there for? In other open world games that hub serves the purpose of providing you the ability to do shit out of order, do side shit when you don't want to participate in the main plot of the game, "escape" and do other shit and just play around in the world. In mafia 2? you drive the fucking speed limit. Nevermind the ridiculous amount of times the game uses the driving as a fucking crutch to pad out the game. How many fucking missions are the following? wake up, pick up the phone, drive from A to B, now we gotta drive to C, probably tail someone to D, do some shit. Drive friends we picked up at B and drop them off by going from D to B, maybe now and then make a stop at C, because we have to make 2 fucking stops as the mob taxi driver, and then we drive back to A, to go to bed. To pick up the phone when we wake up to start the next fucking mission.

That's not immersive, that's not art. That's just bullshit.

Most of the missions in general are fucking garbage. I had to watch a fucking montage of these assholes just shooting people up and doing stuff, meanwhile what did I get to do? Sell Cigs like i'm fucking black market 7-11, make laps around gas stations, punch dock workers in this totally unsatisfying way where I bash 2 or 3 buttons, and they give me the response i want and they don't fight back. Go to prison and fucking scrub toilets. Most of the prison itself was either me following a fucking guard who is berating the player the whole time, like I give a ****, or i run around the prison yard needing to kick start the next fucking piece of exposition or story. Or you play this nonsense melee segment that is nothing more than punch, punch, punch, counter, strong punch in like this bare bones fighting game mechanic that is to be insulting to the player as very little thought, effort, or any of that shit is necessary to be successful, so boom zero excitement. And you think this is about casuals not being able to handle it? Bitch the fucking gameplay is casual. Which brings us to the shooting

Eventually here and there the game will have shooting segments, but where as the original Mafia went out of its way to have some realism to its combat and have some ridiculous recoil with a less forgiving health system, Mafia 2 is any other cover shooter with regen health. Here is the extra problem it's not as smooth animation to animation or as fluid as an Uncharted or Gears of War. The gunplay itself is basically average, with very little recoil outside of one rifle, and how do you engage in combat? wack-a-mole. cover shooters have this issue inherently, but it's amplified in Mafia 2 because the AI in general sucks. They do nothing other than find their one cover spot, and hang there back and forth and keep shooting. In Uncharted they move around a bit, in Gears they get more aggressive, and in the sequels they have more enemy variety. It's why wack-a-mole is more tolerable in those games. In Mafia 2 that's all the shooting is, and it's fucking easy. Again that's not depth, that's not complex, that is baby's first third person shooter.

There is nothing to the game, a bunch of mundane reject Grand Theft Auto missions isn't fun, it's poor man's GTA. The original was like a wildly different take as opposed to all those GTA clones and that's why it was special as an action game. But modern open worlds? have gotten so far up their own ass to be believeable. Shit Rockstar themselves took that route.

So what you get is a game that isn't fun to play, because the shooting is painfully average, the driving just pads out this experience and makes it tedious as ****, the stealth/melee stuff is insulting in how simple and pointless those segments are. And a fucking mob story, the only way you enjoy this are the following.

A: you will tolerate any mother fucking thing so long as it has mobsters

or

B: you have never fucking seen a mobster movie in your fucking life, and that's how you enjoyed this fucking generic, poorly written, poorly directed, with the most cookie cutter crime drama characters piece of crap.

I mean **** it's bad enough it's a video game story, working in a medium that is so pathetic it's probably outclassed by fucking billboards in story telling. But you settled for this shit, because you were allergic to better things? Get some standard please.

The game sucks, on so many fucking levels. It's not underrated, it's a cinematic, uninspired piece of shit that deserves more fucking blame as the original was legit interesting.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Disappointed. Write up sucked

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#40 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Absolutely not. The game is hot garbage, beyond just being inferior to its predecessor.

Tommy Angelo was a relatively (by low ass video game standards) well done character, as he actually earned the audiences attention. Vito? worthless piece of shit who comes back from the war to get back into the same shitty habits he tried to avoid in the first place. Through out the entire game he rarely fucking takes times to learn, improve, or show any sign of how much of a scumbag he is, or noticing how it effects those around him. I mean the dumb shit will act like Joe is a dumb influence and then still do the shit the idiot says. It be one thing if they were creating a monster ala Michael Carleone becoming his father in The Godfather, but it isn't that. It's not even close to that. The plot line comes down to the most generic fucking mobster story ever: crime doesn't pay.

The open world aspect makes very little sense in the context of that game. Yes from a superficial standpoint it provides atmosphere, but purely as a game it adds nothing to the experience. What the **** is it even there for? In other open world games that hub serves the purpose of providing you the ability to do shit out of order, do side shit when you don't want to participate in the main plot of the game, "escape" and do other shit and just play around in the world. In mafia 2? you drive the fucking speed limit. Nevermind the ridiculous amount of times the game uses the driving as a fucking crutch to pad out the game. How many fucking missions are the following? wake up, pick up the phone, drive from A to B, now we gotta drive to C, probably tail someone to D, do some shit. Drive friends we picked up at B and drop them off by going from D to B, maybe now and then make a stop at C, because we have to make 2 fucking stops as the mob taxi driver, and then we drive back to A, to go to bed. To pick up the phone when we wake up to start the next fucking mission.

That's not immersive, that's not art. That's just bullshit.

Most of the missions in general are fucking garbage. I had to watch a fucking montage of these assholes just shooting people up and doing stuff, meanwhile what did I get to do? Sell Cigs like i'm fucking black market 7-11, make laps around gas stations, punch dock workers in this totally unsatisfying way where I bash 2 or 3 buttons, and they give me the response i want and they don't fight back. Go to prison and fucking scrub toilets. Most of the prison itself was either me following a fucking guard who is berating the player the whole time, like I give a ****, or i run around the prison yard needing to kick start the next fucking piece of exposition or story. Or you play this nonsense melee segment that is nothing more than punch, punch, punch, counter, strong punch in like this bare bones fighting game mechanic that is to be insulting to the player as very little thought, effort, or any of that shit is necessary to be successful, so boom zero excitement. And you think this is about casuals not being able to handle it? Bitch the fucking gameplay is casual. Which brings us to the shooting

Eventually here and there the game will have shooting segments, but where as the original Mafia went out of its way to have some realism to its combat and have some ridiculous recoil with a less forgiving health system, Mafia 2 is any other cover shooter with regen health. Here is the extra problem it's not as smooth animation to animation or as fluid as an Uncharted or Gears of War. The gunplay itself is basically average, with very little recoil outside of one rifle, and how do you engage in combat? wack-a-mole. cover shooters have this issue inherently, but it's amplified in Mafia 2 because the AI in general sucks. They do nothing other than find their one cover spot, and hang there back and forth and keep shooting. In Uncharted they move around a bit, in Gears they get more aggressive, and in the sequels they have more enemy variety. It's why wack-a-mole is more tolerable in those games. In Mafia 2 that's all the shooting is, and it's fucking easy. Again that's not depth, that's not complex, that is baby's first third person shooter.

There is nothing to the game, a bunch of mundane reject Grand Theft Auto missions isn't fun, it's poor man's GTA. The original was like a wildly different take as opposed to all those GTA clones and that's why it was special as an action game. But modern open worlds? have gotten so far up their own ass to be believeable. Shit Rockstar themselves took that route.

So what you get is a game that isn't fun to play, because the shooting is painfully average, the driving just pads out this experience and makes it tedious as ****, the stealth/melee stuff is insulting in how simple and pointless those segments are. And a fucking mob story, the only way you enjoy this are the following.

A: you will tolerate any mother fucking thing so long as it has mobsters

or

B: you have never fucking seen a mobster movie in your fucking life, and that's how you enjoyed this fucking generic, poorly written, poorly directed, with the most cookie cutter crime drama characters piece of crap.

I mean **** it's bad enough it's a video game story, working in a medium that is so pathetic it's probably outclassed by fucking billboards in story telling. But you settled for this shit, because you were allergic to better things? Get some standard please.

The game sucks, on so many fucking levels. It's not underrated, it's a cinematic, uninspired piece of shit that deserves more fucking blame as the original was legit interesting.

Only reason I came into this thread, was not disappointed.