M$ bought the GeoW IP

• 188 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Epic sold the rights of the Gears of War franchise to M$. A thousand of sequels incoming... Black Tusk Studios will be the main developer of the new game.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-microsoft-studios-gears-of-war

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

That was a smart decision on both their parts. It lets Microsoft keep one of their few exclusives while freeing Epic to do bigger and better things.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Microsoft just bought high. That series will be completely worthless after they have one of their first party studios churn out 2-3 more games in 2-3 years.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'm not surprised. Gears seemed like a franchise that would always stay with Xbox. Perhaps a new developer will be able to reinvigorate the franchise. If I recall correctly, Judgement was a flop.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

This comes as to no surprise to me. I think the Gears of War franchise has run its course though. It won't be pushing consoles or making big sales anymore.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Gue1 said:

Epic sold the rights of the Gears of War franchise to M$. A thousand of sequels incoming... Black Tusk Studios will be the main developer of the new game.

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-microsoft-studios-gears-of-war

Well, that sucks. I was hoping for a new IP from Black Tusk, not a new Gears game.

Milkage confirmed...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

They would really have to change things up. There's still quite a lot of stuff in the universe, but gameplay-wise, it has pretty much peaked.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Xbox exclusive to remain Xbox exclusive. Typical Microsoft announcement.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

The first Gears game was "okay", the second one blew except for horde mode, didn't play any of the subsequent games.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Halo and Gears bi-annual yearly releases.

I know Cliffy wasn't happy when the last gears came out.

I was really hoping for black tusks new game to be a new IP. MS was suggesting a lot of new ips about a year ago.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

I though the last version of gears of war was not so good, well if you look at metacritic user scores anyway, good job Epic for knowing when to move on to something else.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

After the last 2 games and especially the last one which I didn't even bother playing...who cares.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Microsoft just bought high. That series will be completely worthless after they have one of their first party studios churn out 2-3 more games in 2-3 years.

Agreed. And bringing in Rod, who oversaw the first 3 Gears and is familiar with its mechanics, atmosphere, and controls is a very very smart move. Unreal Engine 4 is the engine and I am looking forward to a new Gears big-time.

Xbox One confirmed EXCLUSIVE titles: Gears of War, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, D4, Killer Instinct Season 1 and 2, Fable Legends, and Halo 5. 3 new IP's, a fighting game, a FPS, and 3rd Person Shooter, Kinect-Only title, Online RPG, a Shooter/Television series hybrid, and a open-world game. Not bad for diversity, MS. Not bad at all.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#14  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

I doubt any of the future games will be able to top the GOAT Gears of War 3.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shawn30
@GrenadeLauncher said:

Xbox exclusive to remain Xbox exclusive. Typical Microsoft announcement.

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Agreed. And bringing in Rod, who oversaw the first 3 Gears and is familiar with its mechanics, atmosphere, and controls is a very very smart move. Unreal Engine 4 is the engine and I am looking forward to a new Gears big-time.

Xbox One confirmed EXCLUSIVE titles: Gears of War, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, D4, Killer Instinct Season 1 and 2, Fable Legends, and Halo 5. 3 new IP's, a fighting game, a FPS, and 3rd Person Shooter, Kinect-Only title, Online RPG, a Shooter/Television series hybrid, and a open-world game. Not bad for diversity, MS. Not bad at all.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Instead of forza/halo/forza/halo/forza/halo/forza/halo/forza/halo its gonna be forza/gears/halo/forza/gears/halo/forza/gears/halo just like last gen. How exciting are MS's exclusives lol

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

$1 billion to spend on vidya and they spend part of it on a dried up IP already tied to the Xbox without the original studio or designer.

To quote that other topic's title: Does Microsoft Even Know What They're Doing Anymore?

granddogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 granddogg
Member since 2006 • 731 Posts

good for m$ not bad at all

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Instead of forza/halo/forza/halo/forza/halo/forza/halo/forza/halo its gonna be forza/gears/halo/forza/gears/halo/forza/gears/halo just like last gen. How exciting are MS's exclusives lol

Forza/Fable/Halo/Ryse/Gears <this

@GrenadeLauncher said:

$1 billion to spend on vidya and they spend part of it on a dried up IP already tied to the Xbox without the original studio or designer.

To quote that other topic's title: Does Microsoft Even Know What They're Doing Anymore?

THat $1 billion was spend on unrelated projects way before this, not sure if just pulling out anus.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

Any great franchise from last gen deserves a next gen remake. How long has Mario, Metroid, and Zelda been around? SMH. Bunch of hypocrites on here.

I_AM_MEGATRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 I_AM_MEGATRON
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts

so who's the winner here? epic or MS?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@silversix_: I'd rather take halo for a and gears over infamous killzone uncharted increments any day. Don't think sony isn't doing the same damn thing with their franchises, because they are. In fact they already have their first recycled game out from that cycle... Killzone.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@Wasdie said:

This comes as to no surprise to me. I think the Gears of War franchise has run its course though. It won't be pushing consoles or making big sales anymore.

it'd be stupid to even try to have a new game at this point (that is a sequel) unless it takes places hundreds and hundreds of years in the future. There's barely any humanity left and everything is destroyed. And playing against other humans won't be too popular as it is (evidenced by Judgment's MP). If they have to do humans vs humans, it needs to be a prequel from one of the other wars. There's plenty of content there to go off of, at least.

Judgment just angers me because I was so incredibly invested in the trilogy and I just felt they did every possible thing wrong with that game as if they were tying their hardest to kill it once and for all. And then they barely put out any additional content for it and abandoned it altogether.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

The first Gears game was "okay", the second one blew except for horde mode, didn't play any of the subsequent games.

2 wasn't that bad,3 was also good but the series was already wearing down and Judgement sucks.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

They bought a dying franchise.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

@silversix_: I'd rather take halo for a and gears over infamous killzone uncharted increments any day. Don't think sony isn't doing the same damn thing with their franchises, because they are. In fact they already have their first recycled game out from that cycle... Killzone.

Wait until next gen Resistance is announced. This place will go into a frenzy.

hamster3_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hamster3_3
Member since 2007 • 130 Posts

I'd love a gears 4 or another trilogy. I don't play the cheap cash in prequals of in between games. I love the gears 1-3 story and the halo 1-4. I've never played reach, ODST or judgement (That's a lie. I played judgement for 5 mins at a booth.)

Renegade311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Renegade311
Member since 2013 • 350 Posts

Good move by MS, it doesn't matter if people like the series or not it's still going to sell millions of copies.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

This is going to be an interesting E3 this year. :]

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I love gears of war but I also think that the series peaked with Gears of War 3. I'll probably play the new games though.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

It's about time they bought out the IP. Was a long time coming. Yeah, it's pretty much a sign that Epic may be moving on. Now time to laugh at all the cows who were excited at the thought that the next gears title could have potentially released on ps4 LMFAO

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@tormentos said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

2 wasn't that bad,3 was also good but the series was already wearing down and Judgement sucks.

I wasn't impressed with the first one, the campaign was okay, the MP was downright broken. The second game's campaign I couldn't even finish.

StriateEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StriateEnd
Member since 2013 • 521 Posts

**** offfff. Enough Gears. Enough Halo. Enough Forza. Clearly these games have peaked and all three of them have been on a downward spiral since. And now you're telling me Black Tusks' new game was just a tech demo? Bollocks. How much do you wanna bet MS realised it wasn't gonna make "COD levels" of money and decided to continue to milk the **** out of Gears.

This is why I'm never going to buy an xbox console. MS doesn't have faith that their new studios can provide quality titles that will sell big so instead they give them an old, milked franchises (343i with Halo, Black Tusk with Gears) or just shitty kinect franchises like they are doing with Rare. MS obviously have the money, so why not buy small studios/create studios and make them big. Like what Sony did with Media Molecule. Small indie (?) studio that now release AAA exclusives.

At least they've got Remedy... Who are developing a tv show-video game hybrid... bleeeeehhhhhh.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

So, this is what Black Tusk will be working.

Avatar image for enviouseyezonme
EnviousEyezOnMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EnviousEyezOnMe
Member since 2013 • 272 Posts

This is either good news/bad news. Black Tusk could either make things worse than Judgement which already left a bad taste in some peoples mouths(not all) or they could breathe new life into this franchise. Either way, with MS money, it was a smart decision and will sell some copies and systems regardless.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Another reason why I'm not excited about the X1.....over priced...necessary online....and no games yet that interest me that I can't get elsewhere. Man MS used to be decent....

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Looks like you lemrats are in for another gen of Halo/Gears/Forza deja vu

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

This is actually a very good decision, especially for Japan.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shawn30

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Titanfall, Quantum Break, Forza 5, Forza Horizon, Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct season 1 and 2, Fable Legends, Gears of War, Dead Rising 3, Halo 5 - game wise and feature wise what they are doing is great.

D4RKL1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 D4RKL1NG
Member since 2012 • 290 Posts

MS just bought the franchise to keep it off the Lordstation. Imagine how embarrassing it would have been if Gears went multiplat and the PS4 outperforms the Xbone version by miles.

But hey,at least xboners will enjoy the devils threesome again this gen (HaloforzaGears)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@Jakandsigz said:

This is actually a very good decision, especially for Japan.

Japan doesn't support Xbox though....

Strutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Strutten
Member since 2008 • 1263 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Lol pathetic i hope troll attempt.. lots of games you cant game elsewhere.. lol this is good news for x1 owners and fans..

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Good day for Epic. Sold a declining franchise for probably top dollar. And good for MS being able to keep a franchise linked to their platform exclusive.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@Phazevariance said:

you have shitty taste so of course you will take a generic shooter like gears over the order or infamous. wouldn't be surprised if cod was your thing and you call ownage on 1 month exclusivity cod dlc's get. Some people enjoy playing new franchises and see old franchises significantly evolve with new generations while others are enjoying rehash/milking spam and there's no better than halo/gears/forza.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Dammit! That sucks. Not because Microsoft purchased the rights to Gears of War. Go right ahead. Couldn't give two craps. It's that Black Tusk Studios' new game was speculated to be a new IP (possibly stealth-related) and now... it's just Gears of War 4. Super. *sigh*

I'll cry if Sony Santa Monica announces another God of War game at E3 instead of this "new IP written by the writers of 'Battlestar Galatica'.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@Strutten said:

@LJS9502_basic: Lol pathetic i hope troll attempt.. lots of games you cant game elsewhere.. lol this is good news for x1 owners and fans..

No what's pathetic is your attempt to argue against my opinion. I don't play Gears....therefore...it doesn't induce me to pick up an X1. Deal with it. Or cry in a corner.....I don't care.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@I_AM_MEGATRON said:

so who's the winner here? epic or MS?

definitely epic. i dont get why judgement didnt sell as well as the other 3. thought you lems like gears. epic just dumped an ip and would still probably make money from the unreal engine thats going to be used to make that game.

this isnt news to me. its status quo....you cant give a point for a something they already had

Strutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Strutten

@StriateEnd: Well, thats only according too you guys.. Kinda double standard much, new kz (teh awesome), new gt (omfg), new uncharted (holy molly the best).. when its ms securing some of the more awesome titles its (dissapointing, milkage etc etc) if you ask me thats beyond pathetic and again this hatred towards an console.. i mean come on man, it is/was great games no matter how you spin it.

Many like/love these games, just because you think they suck, does'nt make it a fact dude. So get a grip , gears on ue4(?) and next gen is good news for xbox owners and gears fans.

Some serious double standards around here.. lulz

Strutten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Strutten

@LJS9502_basic: lol got a bad day ? :) You pretty much state it as a fact. Ms are very much decent. And why should i cry in a corner lol its consoles and games.. why so jumpy dude relax :)