Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 19443 Posts

@jaydan said:
@Pedro said:

Got it today at Walmart for $50. So, far I like. :)

That like is gonna turn into <3 baby

This game is a genuine and surprising treat I don't think any of us were even expecting.

I certainly didn't expect to like it this much... it's brilliant. It's really challenging Astral Chain for my GOTY.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 2679 Posts

What is everyone's favorite floors so far? I finished floor 8 and that section of the game was brilliant. I loved how the entire floor was like a giant puzzle, super clever and well designed. I also love the sequence of events that happen after as well.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 12977 Posts
@jaydan said:

What is everyone's favorite floors so far? I finished floor 8 and that section of the game was brilliant. I loved how the entire floor was like a giant puzzle, super clever and well designed. I also love the sequence of events that happen after as well.

I finished the story and the 8th floor wasn't topped for me. I've never quite experienced anything like that in a game before. That was brilliant level design.

The 10th floor was my 2nd favorite.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#54 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1420 Posts

I have it but I still haven't played it. The game looks excellent.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24669 Posts

@wiiboxstation: Stop spoiling it and start playing it!

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jaydan  Online

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@jaydan said:

I finished the story and the 8th floor wasn't topped for me. I've never quite experienced anything like that in a game before. That was brilliant level design.

I agree floor 8 was brilliantly designed. The whole floor was like answering a series of riddles - okay, if I need fire, I need a torch, if I need a torch, I need water, if I need water I need a bucket...etc. - Also how it was all an environmental story of Morty. The floor did an amazing job infusing the cartoonish episode of Morty you get to be a part of.

Also does this floor seriously give you a branching path that determines a certain outcome in the game? I am speaking of the Morty dilemma... do you catch Morty or do you spare him? On one hand you can catch Morty to fill up your gallery ghost collection, and on the other hand you can spare him and let him edit and finish his film...I chose to catch him, but it was after the fact I caught him I came to realize "but wait, if I spared him and he got to finish his film, would I be able to watch that film later on??" I realize that might most definitely be true. That is another part of this floor's brilliant design is it throws a branching path that has an enticing reward either direction you choose.

Also just the fact this floor creatively involves you in making a movie and how heavy that part is in solving the area. I just loved how much they played with the movie-making, down to the cinematography and set-pieces.

I also noticed you can probably solve certain parts differently. Like I didn't pick up a bucket myself to fetch water, I ended up going to the attic set and I picked up the cap from the soda bottle, and I used the cap to fetch water, and it worked too.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 hrt_rulz01

@jaydan said:

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@jaydan said:

I'm up to the 9th floor now, but yeah the 8th floor was an amazing piece of level design... brilliant.

I also liked the 6th and 7th floors.

Man this game is awesome!

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5185 Posts

So I just started playing this... and I'm pretty sure this is the best looking Switch game so far. A nice step up from the other two, graphically.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1420 Posts

@Litchie said:

@wiiboxstation: Stop spoiling it and start playing it!

You do make an excellent point.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1197 Posts

The series sucks. I don’t mean that as a vacuum joke either. I played the first 2 and hated them. Boring.

Run around endless mansion room to room doing absolutely nothing. Boring and tedious.

Why do sheep pretend these games are “fun”?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4245 Posts

@ajstyles said:

The series sucks. I don’t mean that as a vacuum joke either. I played the first 2 and hated them. Boring.

Run around endless mansion room to room doing absolutely nothing. Boring and tedious.

Didn't you say Days Gone was your GOTY?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Litchie

Dudes. This game might stand a chance against Sekiro for GOTY for me. No joke. It's fucking awesome.

By the way, did anyone else feel really bad catching the movie director ghost? He was happy and nice, gave me the button and stuff, and was just trying to do what he enjoys. He didn't do any harm. Then I just walked in and caught him when he was busy working on his movie. Not cool, Luigi..

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 23684 Posts

@ajstyles said:

I played the first 2

No, you didn't.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#64 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22006 Posts

@mandzilla said:
@ajstyles said:

aaaaand... /troll bait comment

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#65 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35815 Posts

Update:- Its the best looking game on the system. The exploration and level of interactivity is simply great. With that said, the controls are clunky and the story can be irritating and overly intrusive.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jaydan  Online

@Pedro: how far are you in the game or have you beaten it yet?

If I had any criticism it would be clunky controls at times. The game is in no way broken, but when using the vacuum/dark light/suction cup/flashlight it limits your range of aim. This problem is not the worst in the world especially when the game itself is such a joy, but you will need to compromise with these controls to be successful.

E. Gadd's hint system is intrusive especially earlier in the game. He will repeat the same hints until you follow his directions. This problem can conflict with the encouragement to explore in the game. Thankfully you can just turn off the hint system in the settings so they don't annoy you, BUT that leads towards E. Gadd's hints are not completely useless, especially later in the game when you get genuine head- scratchers. Oddly though, later in the game E. Gadd seems to take more of a backseat in helping you and there were times I could have used a hint of his but he just was not there to give help. I think E. Gadd's hint system would be better implemented if he told you something only once and then monetized to a record log that you can replay whenever you need instead of hints playing on their watch.

Overall these are my two criticisms in an otherwise sublime game experience. The pro's far outweigh the flaws in the game.

What are your favorite floors so far, Pedro? I still stand by floor 8 is the best floor in the game. It's one of the most creative and expertly designed 'levels' I've seen in a video game in a long time.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 getyeryayasout
Member since 2005 • 12670 Posts

I nabbed it today on my way to work, can't wait for my boss to leave!

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4245 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@mandzilla said:
@ajstyles said:

aaaaand... /troll bait comment

<3

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@mandzilla said:
@ajstyles said:

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5257 Posts

@jaydan said:

I agree floor 8 was brilliantly designed. The whole floor was like answering a series of riddles - okay, if I need fire, I need a torch, if I need a torch, I need water, if I need water I need a bucket...etc. - Also how it was all an environmental story of Morty. The floor did an amazing job infusing the cartoonish episode of Morty you get to be a part of.

Also does this floor seriously give you a branching path that determines a certain outcome in the game? I am speaking of the Morty dilemma... do you catch Morty or do you spare him? On one hand you can catch Morty to fill up your gallery ghost collection, and on the other hand you can spare him and let him edit and finish his film...I chose to catch him, but it was after the fact I caught him I came to realize "but wait, if I spared him and he got to finish his film, would I be able to watch that film later on??" I realize that might most definitely be true. That is another part of this floor's brilliant design is it throws a branching path that has an enticing reward either direction you choose.

Also just the fact this floor creatively involves you in making a movie and how heavy that part is in solving the area. I just loved how much they played with the movie-making, down to the cinematography and set-pieces.

I also noticed you can probably solve certain parts differently. Like I didn't pick up a bucket myself to fetch water, I ended up going to the attic set and I picked up the cap from the soda bottle, and I used the cap to fetch water, and it worked too.

He deserved it and got what was coming.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 getyeryayasout

I love the jab at the Virtual Boy with the Virtual Boo:

"Just wait until I finish the marketing materials on this! It'll fly off the shelves! Heh heh heh!"

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Litchie

@getyeryayasout: Haha, yeah. I laughed.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 jaydan  Online

I am taking my sweet ass time with this game, I am only now getting to floor 15.

The game has been a joy ride all the way through. I definitely have a lot to say about this game once I'm all finished.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 getyeryayasout

It's as good as you folks have said, such a nice surprise of a game!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#75 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79468 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

He deserved it and got what was coming.

Yeah, I'd have to say I agree. Sure, he was peaceful after he made his film, and gave you the button without having to fight him, but he DID put you in harm's way just to make his film, WITHOUT your consent. That was malicious enough for me to pull out my vacuum and suck him up into my collection.

Anyway, I'm loving it so far, but currently on the B2 boss and not loving the fight at all. One of the rare instances where the controls actually work against you.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#76 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26909 Posts

@jaydan: I haven't played the game yet but your hint system suggestion sounds like a really good idea.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 IvanGrozny  Online
Member since 2015 • 946 Posts

After watching some jackscepticeye gameplay on youtube, I am actually considering to get NS now. That's definitely a system seller game. I am surprised the game only got 8 on MC. It should be in around 90s.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 hrt_rulz01

Finished it today.... I would've never thought it'd come close to Astral Chain for my GOTY, but it did. Brilliant game.

Like I said before, Nintendo need to do a long-term deal with that team (Next Level Games) because they are seriously talented.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Pedro

@jaydan said:

@Pedro: how far are you in the game or have you beaten it yet?

If I had any criticism it would be clunky controls at times. The game is in no way broken, but when using the vacuum/dark light/suction cup/flashlight it limits your range of aim. This problem is not the worst in the world especially when the game itself is such a joy, but you will need to compromise with these controls to be successful.

E. Gadd's hint system is intrusive especially earlier in the game. He will repeat the same hints until you follow his directions. This problem can conflict with the encouragement to explore in the game. Thankfully you can just turn off the hint system in the settings so they don't annoy you, BUT that leads towards E. Gadd's hints are not completely useless, especially later in the game when you get genuine head- scratchers. Oddly though, later in the game E. Gadd seems to take more of a backseat in helping you and there were times I could have used a hint of his but he just was not there to give help. I think E. Gadd's hint system would be better implemented if he told you something only once and then monetized to a record log that you can replay whenever you need instead of hints playing on their watch.

Overall these are my two criticisms in an otherwise sublime game experience. The pro's far outweigh the flaws in the game.

What are your favorite floors so far, Pedro? I still stand by floor 8 is the best floor in the game. It's one of the most creative and expertly designed 'levels' I've seen in a video game in a long time.

I wish I can say my experience was as optimistic. Without a doubt the levels are well detail, interactive and visual appealing making it quite a visual treat. But the game itself has grown tiresome for me.

It just tries to be cutesy all the time, to the point of annoyance. I am now on the twelfth floor and I have to bear Luigi's "I am scared everytime and all the time" for 14 floors(basement floors included). This gets old really fast. I don't mind him being cautious but the same boo scares over and over is a bit too juvenile for my liking.

If you have the misfortune of low health the game would downgrade all other sound effects in preference to the annoying and dominating heart thumping low health warning, couple with the controller vibrating.

I also don't like the fact that the cutscenes aren't skippable. For some reason the developers thought "hey, lets allow the player to skip the insert key in door cutscene but not any other cutscene, because that door opening cutscene is quite a time waster." I truly hate when games don't allow for gamers to skip cutscenes. This automatically removes the option for me replaying the game.

I don't mind being given the run around for objectives. That is fine. What's not fine is when the reason is routinely based on the stupidity of the character I am playing. When you are done with this game you can conclude that Luigi is mentally handicap. I understand they want to make him endearing but they venture too far into stupid, directly undermining that intention.

The game sometimes perpetually interrupts the gameplay. As you mention Dr. E Gadd would at times harass you with obvious game objectives and remind you over and over of what they game wants you to do. Some of these interactions have force dialogue delay so they can't be immediately skipped after reading. Every time Luigi clears a room the game stops the player to celebrate. I prefer if that never happen because we perform this action very often.

With all of that, there a some design choices that are obtuse, leaving the player wondering "what should I be doing here?" or mechanics that are just assumed. I can't recall anything informing be of the camera and Googi mechanic. If I missed it, then my error. However, there are some very interesting use of the core game mechanics that were excellently implemented. Its just unfortunate that these gems of game designs are marred with all of the other issues I have with the game.

Three more floors to go. What was the 8th floor again?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 jaydan  Online

@Pedro: floor 8 was the movie studio!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Pedro

@jaydan said:

@Pedro: floor 8 was the movie studio!

That was an interesting floor.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Litchie

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Finished it today.... I would've never thought it'd come close to Astral Chain for my GOTY, but it did. Brilliant game.

Like I said before, Nintendo need to do a long-term deal with that team (Next Level Games) because they are seriously talented.

Agreed. Mario Strikers was great fun as well.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Litchie
@ivangrozny said:

After watching some jackscepticeye gameplay on youtube, I am actually considering to get NS now. That's definitely a system seller game. I am surprised the game only got 8 on MC. It should be in around 90s.

I'd say it's a game worth it to get a Switch for. And I love the game. It's great. Better than most games. That said, I'd say an 8/10 is a perfect score for the game.

Don't let all shitty websites giving 8/10 to every piece of shit Call of Duty game that gets shat out make you think actual 8/10 games should be 9/10s.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jaydan  Online

@Pedro: Finally getting a moment to give a thorough thought on this game and response to you:

You do bring up a couple of flaws I agree with overall. I think the charm though ultimately comes down to personal preferences and your own tolerance thereof. Like I said from the very beginning this game feels like a playable Saturday morning cartoon, and having beaten the game I stand by that statement. An incredible amount of love and detail has been put both into the environments and animations of the game. This is by far the most animated Mario (universe) games I have ever played. I never personally looked at Luigi as more than the one-dimensional character he is (clumsy and cowardly, hence the joke of putting him in an environment out of his character). Even though the Mario characters never speak full sentences to say, it's nice Luigi's Mansion 3 feels fresh on the dialogue/gibberish most of these characters say and not just repeated phrases I feel Nintendo has used a million times.

I think Luigi's Mansion 3 does a collectathon right. While you can sift through the main story of the game pretty quickly if you just want to main story, you can - but the game packs a ton of money, gems and Boo's into the game that is actually a lot of fun to discover. The gems especially are fun to find in the game because a lot of them might be cleverly hidden. The Boo's can give reason to revisit floors cause they will haunt them still, and finding them is like hide-and-seek, and I'm fine with that because they're the only ghosts that have that gameplay event. Best part of this collectathon is this is all optional and the late-game does not force you onto a fetch-quest to catch all the Boo's if you were not looking for them (like the original game does).

The music is top-notch in this game as well. Nintendo has come a long way with their music tracks in games. Games like Super Mario Galaxy were memorable because of the orchestrated music, and Luigi's Mansion 3 does not disappoint. There are a lot of fresh new tunes in the games and instrumentals I am not accustomed to in Mario games. Each floor is like a different world, and some are longer than others, but each floor is packed with detail in the spaces they're given. If you play a collectathon I think part of the expectation is being able to explore around in different themed areas, and Luigi's Mansion 3 does not disappoint. Areas you will explore range from a movie studio to a museum. Every area has so much detail and I love that even among the stranger floors the design is all still cohesive with the hotel. The floor with the pyramid is the "tomb suites" and the floor with the pirate cave is actually a pirate-themed restaurant. These floors were inspired by real-world gimmicks tourist traps have done. I have had this Truman Show moment numerous times where you run into the corners of the wall to remind you you're still in a hotel.

The game's world is incredibly designed and cohesive within itself.

The best thing of all I have found in Luigi's Mansion 3 is how it rewards one's cleverness with the game, and that's because the game itself is being very clever. Often times the solutions with the biggest head-scratcher's are a lot more logical than we initially saw and then we overlook them. The first puzzle of floor B2 was a complete red-herring of a puzzle. You are introduced to that floor's ghost and you are misled from finding the solution. When I ultimately found the solution I realized how it was so close to me but I was purposely misled by the game being clever. The game is constantly playing with your expectations as well. I would never say this is a hard game, but it will have fun stirring things up it rarely feels like things are being repeated beyond a few instances.

My cons:

E. Gadd's hint system is intrusive and they're turned on at the beginning of the game. You can thankfully turn his hint system off by going into the settings.

Clunky movement controls can frustrate during moments when they don't feel like they are cooperating. They're not the worst controls in a game but they are clunky that you got to work around - which you can. I can't help but think they could have implemented it better for a more ergonomic experience.

Overall my complaints are nitpicks to an overall incredible game. I think Luigi's Mansion 3 might be the best family game released this year. I know for the holiday season most families are probably going for Pokemon Sword/Shield - but if you ask me for those that want a true video game that perfectly defines "fun" for the holidays, Luigi's Mansion 3 is most likely to 'wow' entire families.

Luigi's Mansion 3 I think deserves to be the Switch GOTY. While Astral Chain might be my personal GOTY, I think it is a wild card compared to an all-audience appeal of Luigi's Mansion 3 and it deserves it so.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5185 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

It's long past time to get a Switch (or Switch Lite). The library is well worth if you like Nintendo's output.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@jaydan said:

@Pedro: Finally getting a moment to give a thorough thought on this game and response to you:

You do bring up a couple of flaws I agree with overall. I think the charm though ultimately comes down to personal preferences and your own tolerance thereof. Like I said from the very beginning this game feels like a playable Saturday morning cartoon, and having beaten the game I stand by that statement. An incredible amount of love and detail has been put both into the environments and animations of the game. This is by far the most animated Mario (universe) games I have ever played. I never personally looked at Luigi as more than the one-dimensional character he is (clumsy and cowardly, hence the joke of putting him in an environment out of his character). Even though the Mario characters never speak full sentences to say, it's nice Luigi's Mansion 3 feels fresh on the dialogue/gibberish most of these characters say and not just repeated phrases I feel Nintendo has used a million times.

I think Luigi's Mansion 3 does a collectathon right. While you can sift through the main story of the game pretty quickly if you just want to main story, you can - but the game packs a ton of money, gems and Boo's into the game that is actually a lot of fun to discover. The gems especially are fun to find in the game because a lot of them might be cleverly hidden. The Boo's can give reason to revisit floors cause they will haunt them still, and finding them is like hide-and-seek, and I'm fine with that because they're the only ghosts that have that gameplay event. Best part of this collectathon is this is all optional and the late-game does not force you onto a fetch-quest to catch all the Boo's if you were not looking for them (like the original game does).

The music is top-notch in this game as well. Nintendo has come a long way with their music tracks in games. Games like Super Mario Galaxy were memorable because of the orchestrated music, and Luigi's Mansion 3 does not disappoint. There are a lot of fresh new tunes in the games and instrumentals I am not accustomed to in Mario games. Each floor is like a different world, and some are longer than others, but each floor is packed with detail in the spaces they're given. If you play a collectathon I think part of the expectation is being able to explore around in different themed areas, and Luigi's Mansion 3 does not disappoint. Areas you will explore range from a movie studio to a museum. Every area has so much detail and I love that even among the stranger floors the design is all still cohesive with the hotel. The floor with the pyramid is the "tomb suites" and the floor with the pirate cave is actually a pirate-themed restaurant. These floors were inspired by real-world gimmicks tourist traps have done. I have had this Truman Show moment numerous times where you run into the corners of the wall to remind you you're still in a hotel.

The game's world is incredibly designed and cohesive within itself.

The best thing of all I have found in Luigi's Mansion 3 is how it rewards one's cleverness with the game, and that's because the game itself is being very clever. Often times the solutions with the biggest head-scratcher's are a lot more logical than we initially saw and then we overlook them. The first puzzle of floor B2 was a complete red-herring of a puzzle. You are introduced to that floor's ghost and you are misled from finding the solution. When I ultimately found the solution I realized how it was so close to me but I was purposely misled by the game being clever. The game is constantly playing with your expectations as well. I would never say this is a hard game, but it will have fun stirring things up it rarely feels like things are being repeated beyond a few instances.

My cons:

E. Gadd's hint system is intrusive and they're turned on at the beginning of the game. You can thankfully turn his hint system off by going into the settings.

Clunky movement controls can frustrate during moments when they don't feel like they are cooperating. They're not the worst controls in a game but they are clunky that you got to work around - which you can. I can't help but think they could have implemented it better for a more ergonomic experience.

Overall my complaints are nitpicks to an overall incredible game. I think Luigi's Mansion 3 might be the best family game released this year. I know for the holiday season most families are probably going for Pokemon Sword/Shield - but if you ask me for those that want a true video game that perfectly defines "fun" for the holidays, Luigi's Mansion 3 is most likely to 'wow' entire families.

Luigi's Mansion 3 I think deserves to be the Switch GOTY. While Astral Chain might be my personal GOTY, I think it is a wild card compared to an all-audience appeal of Luigi's Mansion 3 and it deserves it so.

Great summary.

getyeryayasout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 getyeryayasout

During moments of stress while playing as Gooigi I constantly click R3 on the joy con causing me to switch back and forth from Gooigi to Luigi. Very frustrating, I wish I could re-map to any other button.

That aside, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Switch is a breath of fresh air.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 58258 Posts

Heard its pretty good from @getyeryayasout, I liked the last DS game I played.