Lots of People Seem to Love the DS4 (Best Controller Ever?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

The PlayStation 4 controller is just slightly better than the best thing ever

What people like or dislike in a video game controller is often subjective; our hands come in many sizes and shapes, and what feels comfortable to me may be intolerable for you across lengthy playing sections. There is no perfect controller, as everyone is looking for slightly different things in how they control their games.

That being said, the PlayStation 4 controller may be the best thing since sliced bread.

The sum of its parts

Its hard to measure the controller against its peers without having a variety of controllers right next to each other, but the DualShock 4 feels larger in my hand, with a much more rounded design where you grip the controller. Its also slightly heavier, and the overall design rests against the natural curves of your hand in a much more natural way.

My first thought when a developer placed the controller in my hand was the following: Holy shit, thats nice. It takes a bit to work backwards to figure out everything Sony did in the design to get that reaction, but there you go.

It felt almost too good, like I was holding something illicit. I was afraid it would be taken away. It felt like the first time I touched a girls breast in the backseat of a car with fogged up windows, scared that her parents were going to fling the door open and start yelling at me. I wanted to grab the controller and run. I wanted to nuzzle it against my face and ask it who is a good controller? Who is a good controller?

Youre a good controller, you sexy thing, you.

The triggers are likewise more comfortable, curving slightly inward to hold your finger. The buttons and D-pad likely have some subtle distinctions between the Dual Shock 4 and the previous PlayStation 3 controllers, but I couldnt tell much of a difference. The controller comes with rumble, standard, so we dont have to suffer through Sony claiming that force feedback is a last-gen feature because it doesnt want to pay to license it.

The analog sticks have a cupped design and a firmer feel; I never had the sense my thumb was going to slide off. I was able to try a hands-on demo of the upcoming Playstation 4 Killzone title, and in that game you swipe the touchpad to switch between different secondary powers. The action felt accessible and effective, and you can click down on the pad as well, just as you would the touchpad on your laptop. The director of the console version of Diablo 3  told me the touch pad was one of the things they were looking at while porting the game to the PlayStation 4, although they werent sure what theyd use it for quite yet.

The touchpad is a better move than you think. With more big-name games being released and ported to and from mobile devices, and even consoles like the Ouya, a touchpad on your controller means youll be able to play those games on your console. Microsofts answer to touch controls is the Kinect, an expensive accessory that is likely partially to blame for the systems $500 price point, while delivering a control mechanism that is still nowhere near as precise as a physical controller.

This is Sonys play for better ports to and from other devices and, while Ill need to play more on it to know for sure, so far it seems like that gamble paid off. The touchpad is already much better than the similar control mechanism on the Ouya controller. There is a light on the back of the DualShock 4, and that's going to let the new camera see where you are in the room or use the controller like a PlayStation Move. It's neat that it's there, but I'm not holding my breath for this feature to become very important. There is a also a port on the bottom for a mono ear bud and speaker that will allow voice chat in online games.

So that's the breakdown of things, but everything taken as a whole has created a controller that feels almost stupidly great in my hands. Yesterday I felt my next child move for the first time. I felt her tiny feet kick through my wife's belly, my hand finally being given its first tactile evidence that my child is alive and healthy. That experience was several steps higher than feeling the PlayStation 4 controller for the first time but, damnit, they were closer than I'm comfortable admitting.

The PlayStation 4 controller is up there with Otter Pops after a squirt-gun fight, and grilled cheese sandwiches. It's a good book and a hot bath, and Flight of the Navigator. I can't wait to play more.

Ben Kuchera

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/the-playstation-4-conroller-is-just-slightly-better-than-the-best-thing-eve

That is almost creepy... O.o

Brad from Giant Bomb also seems to like it:

Blacklight: Retribution, Zombie Studios' free-to-play shooter which launched on PC in 2011, might be one of the first shooters on the PlayStation 4 a fact that carries with it a tremendous amount of pressure.

Consoles live and die by the ergonomics of their controllers, and the manner in which developers utilize those controllers for launch titles. That's whatBlacklight's aiming to be: a launch title for the PS4, though it may take a few months longer than that to finish the port, Zombie Studios communications manager Collin Moore told Polygon during an E3 2013 demo.

My Blacklight demo marked my first time holding the PlayStation 4's new controller, which I fell in love with instantly. It feels better in the hand, with more responsive buttons and far more manageable triggers than those on the comparatively obtuse DualShock 3. Blacklight on PS4 utilizes that controller extremely well the PC version of the title has been lauded for its tight shooting mechanics, which have been adapted nicely to the new DualShock.

That's quite fortunate, Moore explained, because a console's early shooters are often responsible for selling the promise of how all games will control on new platforms.

"For ergonomics in the controls; we saw it last generation with Halo, Halo pretty much defined how people held the Xbox with the old Duke controller," Moore said. "Sony's made some really good updates to the DualShock. When we got our hands on it and started playing, we were like, 'Holy crap, I think I've found my new favorite controller.'

"WHEN WE GOT OUR HANDS ON IT AND STARTED PLAYING, WE WERE LIKE, 'HOLY CRAP, I THINK I'VE FOUND MY NEW FAVORITE CONTROLLER.'"

"The first-person shooter genre being a genre that a lot of people buy their console for, the genre where you get your 15 million sellers, your 18 million sellers, your Call of Duty and Halo-type games," Moore said. "Those are the games that everyone puts their hands on, and if it doesn't make sense, you'll have a lot of disappointed fans out there. But we've done a lot of research to make sureBlacklight, even though we have different features, that people still feel comfortable in the game. They can pick up and play if they've played a previous game in the first-person genre, and they'll be able to figure it out really quickly and have a great time."

Shooting in Blacklight PS4 felt responsive, even though it used the DualShock's formerly maligned rear triggers. While the DualShock 3's squishy, convex inputs left a lot to be desired on the PS3 shooters which decided to use them for aiming and firing, the PS4's while still slightly analog do not disappoint. My demo was single-player, and the bots I was firing at didn't do much in the way of evasive maneuvering; the demo, Zombie explained, was to show E3 attendees what shooting guns on the new console feels like.

There's a lot we haven't seen from Blacklight: Retribution's PS4 port, but if demoing that one mechanic truly was Zombie's goal at E3, it succeeded with flying colors.

Griffin McElroy

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/16/4430256/blacklight-retribution

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts
The PlayStation 4 controller is up there with Otter Pops after a squirt-gun fight, and grilled cheese sandwiches. It's a good book and a hot bath, and Flight of the Navigator. I can't wait to play more. awwww yeahhhhh, cant wait...umpf umpf
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

After that first line it was hard to read any more. I'm sure it will be good but my God such hyperbole

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

The Dualshock 4 is going to be the best controller ever, it looks amazing

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

the biggest improvement to me looks like the change in the handle angle.

when i hold the ds3 and the handles are in your palms it turns your wrists inwards.

(go ahead try it i'll wait)

now put the 360 controller in your hands and note how your wrists are straight.

to me that is a huge difference in comfort if you are playing for a longer stretch of time and it looks like the ds4 has fixed it.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

brad shoemaker from giant bomb was gushing over the controller as well, talking about how badly he wanted to take one home with him. 

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

After that first line it was hard to read any more. I'm sure it will be good but my God such hyperbole

seanmcloughlin
Oh it gets worse, "Yesterday I felt my next child move for the first time. I felt her tiny feet kick through my wife's belly, my hand finally being given its first tactile evidence that my child is alive and healthy. That experience was several steps higher than feeling the PlayStation 4 controller for the first time but, damnit, they were closer than I'm comfortable admitting." Just...eurgh, it's a f***ing lump of plastic, I bet his wife will be chuffed about that, "Hey honey, don't bother with that whole baby thing I'm just gonna get a PS4 instead."
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

brad shoemaker from giant bomb was gushing over the controller as well, talking about how badly he wanted to take one home with him. 

lazerface216
Added. If you know any other impressions I'll add those too. I guess I'm making this into a general DS4 impressions thread now.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

bobbetybob

Oh it gets worse, "Yesterday I felt my next child move for the first time. I felt her tiny feet kick through my wife's belly, my hand finally being given its first tactile evidence that my child is alive and healthy. That experience was several steps higher than feeling the PlayStation 4 controller for the first time but, damnit, they were closer than I'm comfortable admitting." Just...eurgh, it's a f***ing lump of plastic, I bet his wife will be chuffed about that, "Hey honey, don't bother with that whole baby thing I'm just gonna get a PS4 instead."

are you guys really taking this seriously? 

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bobbetybob

[QUOTE="bobbetybob"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

lazerface216

are you guys really taking this seriously? 

I know Penny Arcade isn't a serious website but that didn't exactly sound jokey to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Yeah, it is.  And it's not even close.

Put it this way, it's just as big an advancement in gamepad's since the OG dualshock.  Not input wise obviously, but ergonomically and quality wise.  Just look at that D-pad.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Otter Pops after a squirt gun battle ^_^

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
Nothing wrong with DS3,it just had floppy Triggers.No FLOPPy anymore
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Things are looking and sounding good. The Giant Bomb guys said the triggers on the Xbone took a step back from the 360's and don't feel quite right. Some other journalists have mentioned this too.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bobbetybob

Things are looking and sounding good. The Giant Bomb guys said the triggers on the Xbone took a step back from the 360's and don't feel quite right. Some other journalists have mentioned this too.

Nike_Air
That's a shame if it ends up that way, the triggers are like the cherry on top of the 360 controller, I can't imagine playing a racing game on any other controller.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
I would never let that dude borrow my controller...
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

bobbetybob

Wow... Like you said, I know they're a joke filled website most of the time but this is someone showing their impressions of the controller, hardly a joke topic or even set up as one. That's some weird writing

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Lots of people seem to love the XOne controller too.

I'll have to hold both, but I still prefer the analogue stick placement on Xbox controllers

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

From the looks of it I would almost say the DS4 should be better but I hate the stick placement

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Cows were all saying the DS3 was the perfect controller a few months ago...

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I wish they stayed with DualShock 3. There's no need for a redesign apart from fixing the flawed triggers.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It looks great by the looks of it but its hard to judge without holding it.  I will say, again by the screenshots, that the build of the devince looks like a notch above any other console controller.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I wish they stayed with DualShock 3. There's no need for a redesign apart from fixing the flawed triggers.

Cyberdot
Baby hands confirmed
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

RR360DD

Baby hands confirmed

Na, the 360 pad was potentially more comfortable for people but the DS3 was a more neutral design.

...thank goodness it is being redesigned though.  I've always thought the DS sticks were in need of some change--a bit too loose.  Nintendo Pro controller got the sticks just right as far as resistance go.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

RR360DD

Baby hands confirmed

My hands are big, actually.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"][QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Baby hands confirmed

My hands are big, actually.

Defensive...feels the need to defend baby hands......small hands confirmed.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Lots of people seem to love the X1 controller. Best controller ever?
Drakan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Drakan11
Member since 2009 • 763 Posts
I hear that playing with the DS4 will also get you huge muscles.