Looking back on it, why the hell did Uncharted 4 win GOTY for 2016?

• 141 results
#101 Posted by jcrame10 (5029 posts) -

@Vatusus said:
@Juub1990 said:
@davillain- said:

it's a Treasure Hunting game

**** no it isn't. It's another 3rd person cover-based shooter. .

Funny, I dont see any "third person shooting" here, in a clear "third person shooting" section...

Loading Video...

There's not treasure hunting to be had unless you call running over a glowing treasure to pick it up "treasure hunting"

The treasure hunting is within the narrative. The puzzle solving sections aim the final goal: treasure hunting. So, if the game has stealth, has lite traversal mid-combat and has puzzle solving, how exactly is "just" yet another 3rd person cover shooter? It is one... if you play it like one, but lets not over-simplify the game just because it fits our narrative

Now its the time Uncharted haters claim "bu bu puzzle soving is so easy a 5yo could figure it out" but we know that bs. I mean, the puzzles arent braid or The Witness hard (it would be rather stupid for naughty dog to do puzzles of such a level in a game like this) but lets pretend we all didnt scratch our heads in these puzzles

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Yeah, I like how on the internet people always pretend they're so smart...

Damn, that first video was smooth. He's nice for that. Making me want to go pick it up and play through it again. I love how open they made the combat sections in 4 and how varied the combat can be. It was a nice switch up from 1-3.

#102 Edited by GMAK2442 (954 posts) -

I played it in 2018 and it's my best game ever. I find it hard to believe some people didn't like it.

#103 Posted by hello505 (498 posts) -

@gmak2442: It's your best game ever? Have you played like two games or something?

#104 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (594 posts) -
@dxmcat said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@dxmcat said:
@son-goku7523 said:

Lems and some salty hermits still can't get over UC4's stellar reviews and accolades 3 years later, this has gotta be some kind of butthurt record.

It's going to be nuts when TLOU2 releases and receives even more award and accolades.

And then play the game, beat it, and never touch again all within a redbox weekend rental.

People keep saying this and three years later we are still getting threads on Uncharted 4. TLOU is approaching 6 years and people still make threads about it. When was the last time someone made a thread on Crackdown 3 or Sea of thieves?

I rest my case.

People talk about old movies. your "case" is beyond stupid.

I play games that I can put 1k+ hours into. Not weekend rentals.

You forum idiots are just so bored copy/pasting links of reviews instead of actually playing your "superior" games because they have no longevity. lulz.

lol, trash like Sea of thieves? No one gives a crap about games that you like. People put shit amount of hours into garbage like COD, it doesn't mean it's a great game. Morons like you need to stop equating hours spent in a game to its quality. Not every game needs to be a multiplayer game or a game you sink 1000 hrs into. Sometimes a game can be short and sweet. It's about the quality of the time spent on the game and not the length and that's what you idiots fail to understand. You keep using your shitty standards to judge games and then get mad when a game doesn't follow your idea of what you think a "good game" should be, FOH. 10 years from now you asshurt clowns will still be making threads about Uncharted 4 and TLOU while claiming you aren't butthurt over their accolades lol

#105 Posted by I_P_Daily (11421 posts) -

@gmak2442 said:

I played it in 2018 and it's my best game ever. I find it hard to believe some people didn't like it.

#106 Posted by Litchie (23710 posts) -

I don't know. Same reason God of War got GotY? It was shiny.
Gameplay? That comes second. Or maybe third.

In other words, the best game rarely gets GotY and if you're passionate about games, it would be better to just ignore these awards. It's frustrating to see non gamers vote for games.

#107 Edited by ellos (1999 posts) -

@Litchie said:

I don't know. Same reason God of War got GotY? It was shiny.

Gameplay? That comes second. Or maybe third.

In other words, the best game rarely gets GotY and if you're passionate about games, it would be better to just ignore these awards. It's frustrating to see non gamers vote for games.

This is false assumptions about GOW in my opinion. I could see this from UC and I think it wasn't the GOTY king of that year. Won some but not the king. It was like RDR2, higher rated but lost to better games that brought more then shiny stuff. I remember it was made fun for not winning most GOTY. GOW is that game that brought more then the shiny stuff in 2018. Yeah blah blah blah none gamers voted for GOW but they also voted for your favorite games did they not. Agree take your own advise and just ignore these awards especially when you don't agree with them.

#108 Edited by SecretPolice (35093 posts) -

Phony, Fanboys / Fangirls masquerading as reviewers / editors. Nuff said. :P

#109 Posted by I_P_Daily (11421 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@dxmcat said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@dxmcat said:
@son-goku7523 said:

Lems and some salty hermits still can't get over UC4's stellar reviews and accolades 3 years later, this has gotta be some kind of butthurt record.

It's going to be nuts when TLOU2 releases and receives even more award and accolades.

And then play the game, beat it, and never touch again all within a redbox weekend rental.

People keep saying this and three years later we are still getting threads on Uncharted 4. TLOU is approaching 6 years and people still make threads about it. When was the last time someone made a thread on Crackdown 3 or Sea of thieves?

I rest my case.

You forum idiots are just so bored copy/pasting links of reviews instead of actually playing your "superior" games because they have no longevity. lulz.

lol, trash like Sea of thieves? No one gives a crap about games that you like. People put shit amount of hours into garbage like COD, it doesn't mean it's a great game. Morons like you need to stop equating hours spent in a game to its quality. Not every game needs to be a multiplayer game or a game you sink 1000 hrs into. Sometimes a game can be short and sweet. It's about the quality of the time spent on the game and not the length and that's what you idiots fail to understand. You keep using your shitty standards to judge games and then get mad when a game doesn't follow your idea of what you think a "good game" should be, FOH. 10 years from now you asshurt clowns will still be making threads about Uncharted 4 and TLOU while claiming you aren't butthurt over their accolades lol

Do you ever wonder why you keep on getting banned here quacknight? Well stop taking this so seriously as he's putting shit on a game not your mother.

#110 Posted by ocinom (996 posts) -

Yeah, Cause Doom and overwatch are GOTY material? Only Gears 4 can match UC4 back in 2016. Just Kidding that game sucked just like all the salty lems in this thread. lol

#111 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2035 posts) -
@ocinom said:

Yeah, Cause Doom and overwatch are GOTY material? Only Gears 4 can match UC4 back in 2016. Just Kidding that game sucked just like all the salty lems in this thread. lol

You mention two very polished games that had a BIG emphasis on their game play ... while still managing to look superb .... as "not GOTY material"?

Sony fans... my god.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#112 Posted by drummerdave9099 (4067 posts) -

Eh it's fine. Never forget that Link Between Worlds beat The Last of Us for GOTY here either

#113 Posted by Litchie (23710 posts) -
@kali-b1rd said:
@ocinom said:

You mention two very polished games that had a BIG emphasis on their game play ... while still managing to look superb .... as "not GOTY material"?

Sony fans... my god.

lol

#114 Posted by PSP107 (17439 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

It didn't win unless you're counting Sony affiliated sites. Oh and the mandatory throwback to people who are calling it fun or having great gameplay:

Loading Video...

This video is spot on. Uncharted 4 literally bored the hell out of me. The action was non existent.

Even though the video you showed was over 9mins, that is literally what you for the majority of the game.

As a fan of UC2/3 online, at least 4's online is still decent.

Lost Legacy is step in the right direction.

Next full fledged UC should focus on gameplay.

#115 Posted by ermacness (8101 posts) -

@pc_rocks:

Oh look, one of plenty of Sony haters here at GS. To say that you're so "against" Sony's 1st party line-up, you sure do like talking about them a lot lol.

#116 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2035 posts) -
@ermacness said:

@pc_rocks:

Oh look, one of plenty of Sony haters here at GS. To say that you're so "against" Sony's 1st party line-up, you sure do like talking about them a lot lol.

It's not about being against Sony's 1st party line up.

It's about calling out mediocre games for being praised for their movie elements over ... actually being good games. If that makes you insecure because Sony focuses on these games more than other publishers then that's on you.

#117 Posted by pyro1245 (4921 posts) -

I dunno. People like it.

I've long since come to terms with the fact that I don't always like what's critically acclaimed or popular. This is one of those cases. I always hated UC game play and I don't find the 'exploration' rewarding at all.

#118 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8530 posts) -

Every GOTY that you disagree with was picked solely to make you mad.

#119 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (594 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@dxmcat said:
@son-goku7523 said:

I rest my case.

Do you ever wonder why you keep on getting banned here quacknight? Well stop taking this so seriously as he's putting shit on a game not your mother.

LMAO blind lemming. You're gonna pretend you didn't see him call me a "forum idiot".

FOH, you salty clown, you're still shadowing me all over the forum like a scorned ex-girlfriend....

You're obsessed man, get some help lol.

#120 Posted by Rockman999 (7468 posts) -

That 3 year old salt. LOL

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#121 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28857 posts) -

grafix

#122 Posted by PC_Rocks (2034 posts) -

@Vatusus said:
@pc_rocks said:

It didn't win unless you're counting Sony affiliated sites. Oh and the mandatory throwback to people who are calling it fun or having great gameplay:

Loading Video...

That video keeps getting posted in every damn U4 thread and in every damn thread it gets rebuttal. Its stupid. Why not post the other several thousand videos praising U4? Oh, cause they dont fit the idiotic fanboy narrative of those who probably never even played it in the first place.

It has been said several times already U4 is a slow burner. The first 4hours of a 15hour game really dont tell much. Its called "building up". Every other Unharted has been like this The game opens a little later and when it does open, it is masterful at what it does. That video is moronic and so are the ones who keep posting it in the hopes it changes the perspective of those who actually played the game and had fun with it.

Keep throwing spagetti at the wall in hopes it sticks... someday

Where did it get a rebuttal? Feel free to show me where did the guys lied. Why would I link other thousands of videos that blindly praising it while grossly overlooking its faults that this video highlights? If anything this video showed how the mainstream publications are extremely sh*t at their job and further proved what Danny O'Dwyer said about sites just going after the ad revenue, click baiting and following the popular trend.

Da 15 hour game has most of its content similar to what the video showed. It don't open much or at all. The video has accomplished its job as it rustled your feathers and made you cows angry by calling it 'not fair' since you guys can't refute it. It's not about changing perspectives but highlighting the shit taste of cows or their bling brand loyalty. Nobody cares if you 'had' fun with it. People also enjoy many outlandish things, doesn't mean they should be put on a pedestal.

Oh and in case you didn't get it yet, this video will keep getting posted to put salt on your wounds. :D

#123 Posted by PC_Rocks (2034 posts) -

@speedytimsi said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@pc_rocks said:

These guys got a PS4....looks they the jokes on them.

Well, reviews and playthroughs by commenting is their bread and butter. Can't blame them for suffering through PS4, part of the job. :) Though they are better reviewers than most professional ones as they even play the things they generally don't like and try to be impartial.

#124 Posted by PC_Rocks (2034 posts) -

@ermacness said:

@pc_rocks:

task tsk tsk. Dat lol at the end don't hide your true feelings. Try again. :)

#125 Posted by PC_Rocks (2034 posts) -

Oh and to all the people who are saying story, characters blahblah. The entire UC franchise sucked at it and had to rely heavily on passive elements to progress its story, characters etc. PoP:SoT (and in general the entire SoT trilogy) barely takes the game away from you to tell its story? That instead uses gameplay to add weight to characters and situations.

#126 Edited by uninspiredcup (32786 posts) -

We live in an age where reviewers campaign for easier games and mockingly chastise gamers for wanting "gameplay".

It makes it easier for them to bang it out and review the movie/politics in time for the click-bait. Where the review is probably stolen from a youtuber.

#127 Edited by DoomNukem3D (169 posts) -

@Vatusus: The first 4 hours of a 15 hour game dont tell much? That's over a 4th of the game. 15 hours is relatively short for a game nowadays however 4 hours is a large chunk of that playtime and if it's boring then slow burner or not I think we have a big issue.

#128 Posted by TheEroica (18384 posts) -

Agreed with tc... Uncharted stole my time and didn't respect my intellect as a gamer who desires rich interaction. It was as boring as a walking simulator.

#129 Posted by PC_Rocks (2034 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Agreed with tc... Uncharted stole my time and didn't respect my intellect as a gamer who desires rich interaction. It was as boring as a walking simulator.

Shut up you filthy lemming. Don't ban me! I was just acting as a translator, I have been called that many times for saying things like it. :D

#130 Posted by cainetao11 (36500 posts) -

I really enjoyed it the first time through. But I couldn’t finish it a second. The campaign isn’t challenging and the TPS play is improved but still not GOTY worthy. The platform it is riskless and the driving in faux openness is a major Big Whoop. ND write great dialogue, get quality actors to voice it, spare nothing with graphics and people want to live out their summer action movie fantasies. PS4 had Alienation that year I believe which was a GOTY more imo than Uncharted 4.

#131 Posted by cainetao11 (36500 posts) -

I really enjoyed it the first time through. But I couldn’t finish it a second. The campaign isn’t challenging and the TPS play is improved but still not GOTY worthy. The platform it is riskless and the driving in faux openness is a major Big Whoop. ND write great dialogue, get quality actors to voice it, spare nothing with graphics and people want to live out their summer action movie fantasies. PS4 had Alienation that year I believe which was a GOTY more imo than Uncharted 4.

#132 Posted by I_P_Daily (11421 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@dxmcat said:
@son-goku7523 said:

I rest my case.

LMAO blind lemming. You're gonna pretend you didn't see him call me a "forum idiot".

FOH, you salty clown, you're still shadowing me all over the forum like a scorned ex-girlfriend....

You're obsessed man, get some help lol.

You just don't like me outing your alts quack, but in reality you out yourself LOL.

As for the other guy calling you a forum idiot, well he's not wrong that's the difference between what he said and what you said.

Keep alting quack the mods will catch up with you soon enough :)

#133 Posted by thedork_knight (1775 posts) -

My most disappointing game on PS4. It was a struggle to finish.

#134 Posted by SecretPolice (35093 posts) -

Poo cows, just can't catch a break...

lol :P

#135 Posted by 2Chalupas (7039 posts) -

I guess it won because the only other realistic options were Doom and Overwatch.

#136 Posted by PSP107 (17439 posts) -

@thedork_knight said:

My most disappointing game on PS4. It was a struggle to finish.

Agreed.

@TheEroica said:

Don't forget the climbing.

#137 Edited by That_Old_Guy (1191 posts) -

@Telekill: only in his head.

Edit: btw, I’m stealing this.

#138 Edited by Telekill (8405 posts) -

@that_old_guy: You're welcome to it good sir. Go forth with fun and skulduggery!

#139 Posted by BoxRekt (980 posts) -

Could make the same argument for TW3 from 2015

Bloodborne > TW3

#140 Posted by DaVillain- (36044 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

You just don't like me outing your alts quack, but in reality you out yourself LOL.

As for the other guy calling you a forum idiot, well he's not wrong that's the difference between what he said and what you said.

Keep alting quack the mods will catch up with you soon enough :)

I don't think he gives a shit lol.

#141 Edited by Zuon (309 posts) -

Well, Uncharted just has fantastic character writing, spanning multiple sequels, and coming to a head in 4.

Let me put it this way - who would you rather invite to a party - Nathan Drake, Sully, Elena and crew, or Doom Guy and BJ Blazcowickz?

The Uncharted crew would leave you with a fun and memorable night filled with interesting campfire stories, and you're only in danger of being robbed if you have something ancient they're looking for. BJ would be fine until he starts drinking, after which he'd start waving his gun around in paranoia that there's a Nazi in the room, and Doom Guy would just straight up murder everyone in a rage as soon as he enters the door, on top of destroying all your electronics.

Edit: I think it is important to note that I do not own a PS4 nor have I actually played an Uncharted game. I just watch Let's Plays on YouTube.

#142 Posted by Raining51 (804 posts) -

I've seen crazier things ta than that to be honest....

2016... probably should of been FF15's year I think.