Looking back on it, why the hell did Uncharted 4 win GOTY for 2016?

• 141 results
hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

It was quite literally one of the most boring games ever made and was sitting next to new original creative directions in Doom and Overwatch. No, let's just give it to another boring Uncharted game.

The Naughty Dog bias is real. I hope TLOU 2 isn't automatically granted GOTY just becuase it has their name on it and is actually judged accurately but I don't have fiath in the gaming media to be so fair.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Great game, finished it probably 4 times already.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I can't see why you think Overwatch and Doom 2016 are creative. Indeed, the best thing about Doom is that it does nothing interesting. It puts a gun in your hand and tells you to shoot stuff, and then the devs get out of your way. That's fun. I'm not sure I'd have anything more complex to say about that, though

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hello505
@xantufrog said:

I can't see why you think Overwatch and Doom 2016 are creative. Indeed, the best thing about Doom is that it does nothing interesting. It puts a gun in your hand and tells you to shoot stuff, and then the devs get out of your way. That's fun. I'm not sure I'd have anything more complex to say about that, though

I haven't posted in this forum for a long time but really we got mods who think Doom and Overwatch don't do anything creative. Okay, what was creative about another Uncharted game?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3414 Posts

Keep trying to rewrite history lmao, Uncharted 4 was an amazing game. Deal with it.

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hello505
@Sagemode87 said:

Keep trying to rewrite history lmao, Uncharted 4 was an amazing game. Deal with it.

No, it wasn't. It was boring, deal with it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@hello505: I didn't say Uncharted 4 was creative. And how about defending your point about Overwatch and Doom, since I questioned it. Or has this board lost all hope?

I'll say it again - fun games, defined by no bullshit =/= creative games

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2522 Posts

Because it was a confusing time and we were all doing and saying silly things. Why, I bought an ice cream scoop that year, and I don't even eat ice cream! Crazy days.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9840 Posts

Just finished a replay of Uncharted 4. Phenomenal game! Everything just oozes quality. Some sections are a little slow, sure. But they compensate by all the awesomeness that is in there. Artists did an amazing job with Libertalia, what a place. And I'm very happy about the ending. Tied it all together after following these characters for years. No need for any sequels (but have options if they want to). Part of the story was pretty brave and gave the game nerve (Nathan straight up lying to Elena). Just like a good book this is a game that is really hard to put down.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 55902 Posts

To me, Uncharted 4 was really enjoyable to play, it's a Treasure Hunting game and if you have played any Uncharted games, you should already know what to expect from an Uncharted game. It's kind of a technical showpiece for the PS4, a good example of the console's hardware utilized extremely well and it plays fine too, nothing special but it's fun enough for me however but still, UC2 is still king and follow by UC4.

It was a satisfying end to the franchise and really, if you look at Desmonic's UC4 hype thread, you can tell it was indeed a good game back in 2016, it really hurt alot of Xbox fans feelings because it got a 10/10 because....it was a good well made game, a game that MS seems to lack making a really good single player.

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

@hello505: goty 2016 was overwatch

The Game Awards

Zelda won 2017

Gow 2018

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
@fantasygamer said:

@hello505: goty 2016 was overwatch

The Game Awards

And a worthy to win that award too. Overwatch felt like a nice TF2 reboot in a way, I personally had fun playing Overwatch.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10360 Posts
@hello505 said:

It was quite literally one of the most boring games ever made and was sitting next to new original creative directions in Doom and Overwatch.

doom's mechanics may have been on point but the premise is unashamedly nothing but "go kill demons with huge f*cking weapons" by ushering you from one locked down arena to the next. not exactly an "original and creative" direction. more just a nod back to old school arena shooters done really f*cking well.

uncharted 4 was awesome btw.

@hello505 said:

I haven't posted in this forum for a long time

a triumphant return

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Because

• It's fun to play
  • It has fun co-op and multiplayer
  • It has memorable characters and story events
  • It has beautiful graphics and wonderful animations
VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Looked amazing. Great story and characters. Great gameplay. Great ending to an amazing franchise. Any other questions?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@davillain- said:

it's a Treasure Hunting game

**** no it isn't. It's another 3rd person cover-based shooter. There's not treasure hunting to be had unless you call running over a glowing treasure to pick it up "treasure hunting".

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Such an awesome game , that I play it once a year (during the holidays ) . Thanks tc for making a thread of the best game of 2016 .

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Bait thread huh?

In your mind... does that make you... the master baiter?

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@hello505:

Because Uncharted 4 IS one the best adventure games to have come out this gen. I finished it dozens of times and still never got tired of it! 10/10

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Overwatch is pure trash LMAO. That game is garbage. I have no idea how anyone can like it. It’s a boring dumb multiplayer game that has been done a million times before.

I liked Doom, but the story is trash also. Doom guy kills monsters with big guns on mars. LOL. It’s a mindless arena shooter. It was fun, but no way deserves GOTY. I would give it the best FPS of the year award though.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8461 Posts

It didn't win unless you're counting Sony affiliated sites. Oh and the mandatory throwback to people who are calling it fun or having great gameplay:

Loading Video...

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2522 Posts

@ajstyles said:

Overwatch is pure trash LMAO. That game is garbage. I have no idea how anyone can like it. It’s a boring dumb multiplayer game that has been done a million times before.

I liked Doom, but the story is trash also. Doom guy kills monsters with big guns on mars. LOL. It’s a mindless arena shooter. It was fun, but no way deserves GOTY. I would give it the best FPS of the year award though.

How so? You have played DOOM, right?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
@Juub1990 said:
@davillain- said:

**** no it isn't. It's another 3rd person cover-based shooter. There's not treasure hunting to be had unless you call running over a glowing treasure to pick it up "treasure hunting".

Okay, let me try this again. It's a "wannabe Treasure Hunting game" hell, Drake claims to be one.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15872 Posts

Its opinions. I often wondered how each mario games gets good score when every each of them plays the same, may apply to uncharted as well.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Because gamer critics were trying to be movie critics since it pays better and is seen as more professional.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

More people like Uncharted 4. How hard is to grasp that?

Doom was being compared to Shadow Warrior.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#27  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Won some GOTYs, lost some. On GS the GOTY 2016 was Overwatch. Why so butthurt about it?

Goty awards are kinda irrelevant nowadays cause everyone and their mothers give goty awards. Every damn year, every damn game gets a "GOTY" edition of some sort because some shady site gave it

so, who cares?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69097 Posts

GOTY only matters to two groups, developers and fanboys. No game has ever been made better or worst by a site or organization claiming it to be GOTY.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@pc_rocks said:

It didn't win unless you're counting Sony affiliated sites. Oh and the mandatory throwback to people who are calling it fun or having great gameplay:

Loading Video...

That video keeps getting posted in every damn U4 thread and in every damn thread it gets rebuttal. Its stupid. Why not post the other several thousand videos praising U4? Oh, cause they dont fit the idiotic fanboy narrative of those who probably never even played it in the first place.

It has been said several times already U4 is a slow burner. The first 4hours of a 15hour game really dont tell much. Its called "building up". Every other Unharted has been like this The game opens a little later and when it does open, it is masterful at what it does. That video is moronic and so are the ones who keep posting it in the hopes it changes the perspective of those who actually played the game and had fun with it.

Keep throwing spagetti at the wall in hopes it sticks... someday

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@Vatusus: I will argue that the heavy handed "I want you to watch not play" in the first 4 hours continues throughout the game. Its not limited to the start.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Pedro said:

@Vatusus: I will argue that the heavy handed "I want you to watch not play" in the first 4 hours continues throughout the game. Its not limited to the start.

Then you'll be factually wrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
@Juub1990 said:
@davillain- said:

**** no it isn't. It's another 3rd person cover-based shooter. .

Funny, I dont see any "third person shooting" here, in a clear "third person shooting" section...

Loading Video...

There's not treasure hunting to be had unless you call running over a glowing treasure to pick it up "treasure hunting"

The treasure hunting is within the narrative. The puzzle solving sections aim the final goal: treasure hunting. So, if the game has stealth, has lite traversal mid-combat and has puzzle solving, how exactly is "just" yet another 3rd person cover shooter? It is one... if you play it like one, but lets not over-simplify the game just because it fits our narrative

Now its the time Uncharted haters claim "bu bu puzzle soving is so easy a 5yo could figure it out" but we know that bs. I mean, the puzzles arent braid or The Witness hard (it would be rather stupid for naughty dog to do puzzles of such a level in a game like this) but lets pretend we all didnt scratch our heads in these puzzles

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Yeah, I like how on the internet people always pretend they're so smart...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts
@Vatusus said:

but lets pretend we all didnt scratch our heads in these puzzles

Speak for yourself there, vat.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

@Vatusus: Nope. I have played the game and every uncharted main release. Let's not fallback on convenient ignorance.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Juub1990

@Vatusus No I never once scratched my head at the puzzles.

Yes, because having stealth elements somehow makes it not a cover-based 3rd person shooter. Lol, take the door with your shitty argumentation.

The tombs in ROTTR are far more complex and even they aren't all that difficult. There's actually far more treasure hunting in that game than in Uncharted 4 or any of the others.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@freedomfreak said:
@Vatusus said:

but lets pretend we all didnt scratch our heads in these puzzles

Speak for yourself there, vat.

Oh, sorry, I forgot that on SW everyone has an IQ of 300... sorry about that :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Juub1990 said:

@Vatusus No I never once scratched my head at the puzzles.

See reply above ^^^

Yes, because having stealth elements somehow makes it not a cover-based 3rd person shooter. Lol, take the door with your shitty argumentations.

No. Having stealth mechanics and traversal mid-combat makes it more than "just yet another" third person shooter. I mean, if you can clear combat sections without any shooting, how exactly does that make it a third person shooter? It is one, if you play it like one.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 freedomfreak
@Vatusus said:

You're not helping your case here. If you had trouble with them, fine. But don't lump all of those that have basic problem solving skills together in your little basket.

Trouble with Uncharted puzzles. C'mon, now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@freedomfreak said:
@Vatusus said:

You're not helping your case here. If you had trouble with them, fine. But don't lump all of those that have basic problem solving skills together in your little basket.

Trouble with Uncharted puzzles. C'mon, now.

Again, Im not saying they're hard, but they're also not as simple as you people want them out to be

I would say they're balanced for the game, nothing else

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Uncharted 4 is extremely polished and well made. There is no Naughty Dog bias, they have proven themselves by releasing one great game after another.

Overwatch and Doom are not as creative as you might believe. Overwatch takes a lot of cues from Team Fortress 2 and doesn't do anything innovative. It's a very good game, but let's not pretend it somehow brought something new to the table. Doom was a fun game to play, but again it didn't do anything new. In fact, many people praised it because it felt more like "old" doom.

Uncharted 4 is a complete package. It has a great story, great graphics, a long campaign, great music, the gameplay isn't amazing but it's polished and still fun, and it wraps up the series nicely. I see no reason why it isn't deserving of a goty award. Overwatch and Doom are not complete packages. Doom has stellar gameplay but it's lacking in terms of story and specific moments. Overwatch is fun to play but blizzard has no clue how to balance their own games which is important for a multiplayer only game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Juub1990
@Vatusus said:

See reply above ^^^

No. Having stealth mechanics and traversal mid-combat makes it more than "just yet another" third person shooter. I mean, if you can clear combat sections without any shooting, how exactly does that make it a third person shooter? It is one, if you play it like one.

And Max Payne has bullet time. Quantum Break has time/space manipulation.

Be serious, almost every game out there has their own gimmick. You can call Uncharted 4 "more" than a 3rd person shooter all you want, 90% of the game besides the monotonous climbing sections is 3rd person shooting. The only time where you do something resembling treasure hunting is that part in Madagascar where you gotta look for the towers and they give you a wide and open terrain to play with and explore. Otherwise, same old shit and don't try to lie about it.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freedomfreak
@Vatusus said:

Again, Im not saying they're hard

They're not. And no "internet geniuses all over" or "300 iq" comments are gonna change that. Speak for yourself.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#43 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

@hello505: Did you even play the game?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Juub1990 said:

The tombs in ROTTR are far more complex and even they aren't all that difficult. There's actually far more treasure hunting in that game than in Uncharted 4 or any of the others.

I beat all the tombs in ROTTR proof

TR puzzles are rather physics based rather than logic's. I had more "trouble" in Uncharted puzzles then in ROTTR, but thats me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Pedro said:

@Vatusus: Nope. I have played the game and every uncharted main release. Let's not fallback on convenient ignorance.

Then please, explain to me how exactly do you "watch" this instead of playing...

Loading Video...

or this

Loading Video...

Its false and you know it

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@XVision84: The one thing that matters the most in a game is easily brushed off in your argument for the GAME. ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Juub1990 said:
@Vatusus said:

See reply above ^^^

And Max Payne has bullet time. Quantum Break has time/space manipulation.

Be serious, almost every game out there has their own gimmick. You can call Uncharted 4 "more" than a 3rd person shooter all you want, 90% of the game besides the monotonous climbing sections is 3rd person shooting. The only time where you do something resembling treasure hunting is that part in Madagascar where you gotta look for the towers and they give you a wide and open terrain to play with and explore. Otherwise, same old shit and don't try to lie about it.

Even with Bullet time and time/space manipulation you can only clear combat sections in those games with shooting people while in U4 you can clear sections without firing a bullet (both stealth and hand to hand combat only). Not quite the same. Uncharted is a thrid person shooter at its core, not saying the contrary, just not one "like all the others" as you were trying to pass it out. Its like saying Max Payne is the same as Gears

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Pedro

@Vatusus said:
@Pedro said:

Then please, explain to me how exactly do you "watch" this instead of playing...

or this

Its false and you know it

"I will argue that the heavy handed "I want you to watch not play" in the first 4 hours continues throughout the game. Its not limited to the start."

No, its not false. Stop pretending that what was shown in the video does not present itself throughout the game with the boring flashbacks with Nathan's brother and the standard walking cutscenes. These things are litter throughout the game with the brother flashbacks taking up entire sections of the game. You are acting as if its just the first 4 hours are slow. That is simply not true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts
@Pedro said:

@XVision84: The one thing that matters the most in a game is easily brushed off in your argument for the GAME. ?

I didn't brush it off, Uncharted's gameplay is good and polished. However, I'm agreeing that Overwatch/Doom have better gameplay. Strictly on gameplay terms, Uncharted 4 isn't a goty contender.

That being said, to reduce video games to only gameplay is doing an injustice to how far the medium has come. In terms of an overall video game experience (which is all that matters when all is said and done), Uncharted 4 is excellent and easily deserving of goty.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@freedomfreak said:
@Vatusus said:

Again, Im not saying they're hard

They're not. And no "internet geniuses all over" or "300 iq" comments are gonna change that. Speak for yourself.

Just like "so easy a 5yo could solve them" arent going to change the fact they're not as easy as you people are trying to pass them out. Its easy to say they've "figured out the answer at first try" on the internet where no one knows for sure. I may believe you, if you have an IQ of a genius, sorry. If you have, cool. but you're definitely a genius. No one would figure these out so easily with an average IQ, sorry