lol The underpowered PS5 and XSX are still $500?

Avatar image for tjandmia
tjandmia

3754

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3754 Posts

Wow. I can't believe after this may years they're not both down to $399. Neither of them is worth $499. Weren't last gen consoles down by at least $100 after 3 years? Sheesh. If you're going to buy an underpowered console, it looks like the XSS is still the best value, despite the Xbox brand being completely destroyed.

Avatar image for Pedro
Pedro

70823

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70823 Posts

You have been noticed.

Avatar image for hardwenzen
hardwenzen

40110

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 40110 Posts

The PS5 is $400 from day one.

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
JoshRMeyer

12578

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12578 Posts

PS5 digital $399, PS5 disc $449. Guess you forgot to check before you made this post.

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

16077

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16077 Posts

As per mentioned, PS5 starting price is $400.

Avatar image for uitravioience
UItravioIence

3118

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3118 Posts

OMG that's so crazy

Avatar image for Sushiglutton
Sushiglutton

9938

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#7 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9938 Posts

Inflation has indirectly lowered their prices.

Avatar image for ghostofgolden
GhostOfGolden

2715

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2715 Posts

The price is fine for the hardware. $500 isnโ€™t supposed to get you cutting edge technology.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45655

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45655 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

PS5 digital $399, PS5 disc $449. Guess you forgot to check before you made this post.

lol yep. Also need to take into consideration controller and 4k disc drive. Still a great value!

Avatar image for Postosuchus
Postosuchus

907

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Compared to what? PC GPU prices are still insane, and have been for years now. You can buy 3 or 4 PS5s/XboxSXs for the price of a flagship from Nvidia or AMD, or one each for the price of a "mid-range" card from Nvida (AMD's not even bothering with that segment for this generation). And that's just for one of many components you'd need for a PC.

Avatar image for kathaariancode
KathaarianCode

3536

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3536 Posts

You tried.

Avatar image for Ballroompirate
Ballroompirate

26695

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#12 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Honestly my $2300 PC can barely handle what the PS5 and Series can handle.

Stable games without constantly spending 20 min fubaring around in settings.

Avatar image for Bond007uk
Bond007uk

1650

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Honestly my $2300 PC can barely handle what the PS5 and Series can handle.

Then there must be something seriously wrong with your PC.

My PC runs MSFS2020 at 60fps at ultra settings, my XSX only does it at 30. I can play The Outer worlds PCE at 60 with all the settings maxed at 1440, Series X plays the same game but with lower graphics such as no screen space reflections and it can't even keep a solid 60.

I can play Cyberpunk with all the standard RT features on @60, but my SXS can only do RT at 30 and the RT was only local shadows.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

3769

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

This thread is the equivalent of stepping on a rake and having the handle hit your face.

Avatar image for WitIsWisdom
WitIsWisdom

9635

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#15 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9635 Posts

Good thing the Pro is coming huh?

Avatar image for lavamelon
Lavamelon

898

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 898 Posts

They actually HAVE received price cuts. Itโ€™s called inflation.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

17976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 227

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17976 Posts

Imagine putting down the price of the PS5 and XSX (with the PS5 digital actually being $399 since launch) and then trying to say the Series Shit is a good value...

Avatar image for Bond007uk
Bond007uk

1650

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1650 Posts

@tjandmia said:

Neither of them is worth $499. Weren't last gen consoles down by at least $100 after 3 years?

Inflation is running high, component/chip shortages. This isn't quite the same it was in the last generation. There wasn't a worldwide pandemic or a worldwide chip shortage.

I'm no major console fan, I own a SXS, but my favourite system will always be PC, but still, $499 still seems like a bargain to me. considering what your getting here compared to buying a PC to the same specs, you'd be talking at least $700 $800 right? You'll need to excuse any errors with that figure, I'm British.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

16629

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16629 Posts

yep, I agree that the prices are getting a bit ridiculous, and I can only assume its because theres a lack of competition in the hardware market. Just look how bad the pc market is and you will understand why consoles are so expensive (consoles are pretty much off shelf pc parts in a package). The pc fans are a bunch of sheep and sucking off nvidia for who knows how long. Imagine paying so much for a gimmick of an nvidia graphics card, to the point that nvidia was able to invest so heavily in AI and now become a very select few of trillion dollar companies. From a graphics card manufacturer to an AI giant, all because of dumb pc fans who gave money away at hundreds of dollars premium to nvidia for decades, falling for their trash gimmick gpus.

Now, even AMD is raising prices of their gpus, because why not...nvidia is also raising prices lol. Its called a duopoly. I hope intel comes in and absolutely destroys nvidia in the gpu market. This is the only way we will see real change and possibly real competition in the console market too.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
robert_sparkes

7316

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7316 Posts

The ps5 had a price cut in the UK for a while the series X hasn't had one yet.

Avatar image for Mozelleple112
Mozelleple112

11293

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@Bond007uk:

Consoles are ridiculously good value compared to any PC lol.

my CPU alone cost more than my PS5. My case and PSU alone cost more than my PS5.

Lets forget the fact that I could have bought more than 4 PS5s for the RTX 4090. Had I bought the best GPU on the market just 6 months earlier, I would have spent roughly 7 PS5s worth of money on a GPU (that the 4090 is now 50-70% faster than). Thank god I realised that was terrible value and that the 4090 would be a better value...

Back when the PS5 and XSX launched for $500, the RTX 3080 cost $1500 here (three times the console cost, for the GPU alone) and according to these benchmarks it gets terrible performance in MW2. the RTX 3090 wasn't selling for a dollar less than $3000. (6 PS5s)

RTX 3080 gets 1440p@106fps and 4K@65fps. Those are VERY similar numbers to the XSX and PS5 versions running dynamic 4K locked at 60fps and unlocked up to 120fps (the resolution drops down to a bit under 1440p to hit 100+ fps)

So a GPU costing three times the cost of the entire console as barely outperforming it lol.

The 3070, which costs roughly 2 PS5 at the time gets 4K/48 and 1440p/81fps. This is why its very hard for me to convince my friends to get PCs to play with me.

Avatar image for templecow90999
templecow90999

930

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#22 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 930 Posts

I'd say spend $800 on a console and tv over an $800 pc anyday.

Avatar image for Ballroompirate
Ballroompirate

26695

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#23 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Bond007uk said:
@Ballroompirate said:

Honestly my $2300 PC can barely handle what the PS5 and Series can handle.

Then there must be something seriously wrong with your PC.

My PC runs MSFS2020 at 60fps at ultra settings, my XSX only does it at 30. I can play The Outer worlds PCE at 60 with all the settings maxed at 1440, Series X plays the same game but with lower graphics such as no screen space reflections and it can't even keep a solid 60.

I can play Cyberpunk with all the standard RT features on @60, but my SXS can only do RT at 30 and the RT was only local shadows.

I give zero crap about fps, can't play a game when it crashes or have optimization issues that have screen tearing or insane bugs.

You know the last time I had issues on a console, the 360 with the red ring issue or my personal favorite when Skyrim would brick PS3 consoles.

I'm perfectly fine with playing Jedi Survivor on Xbox on a 60 inch tv, meanwhile how long did it take them to fix Survivor on PC? oh shocking another bad pc port that's new (not).

Hell I love playing BG3 on my computer when it doesn't crash and I do have a pretty decent rig

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz

32.0 GB ram

RTX 2070 Super

Some games (like Black Desert) I even have to run in window mode just so it doesn't crash. Playing on PC is like a waiting game or gacha game at this point, ether you have to wait for driver updates, patches/fixes and hope to god the next windows update doesn't go hannibal lecter on anything cause that sucked once (yes I had to roll back a windows update just to play a god damn video game).

Having a gaming PC is like having a $90,000 EV car, a $23,000 subaru (aka consoles) will get the job done minus a few bells and whistles.

Avatar image for BassMan
BassMan

17976

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 227

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17976 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Bond007uk:

Consoles are ridiculously good value compared to any PC lol.

my CPU alone cost more than my PS5. My case and PSU alone cost more than my PS5.

Lets forget the fact that I could have bought more than 4 PS5s for the RTX 4090. Had I bought the best GPU on the market just 6 months earlier, I would have spent roughly 7 PS5s worth of money on a GPU (that the 4090 is now 50-70% faster than). Thank god I realised that was terrible value and that the 4090 would be a better value...

Back when the PS5 and XSX launched for $500, the RTX 3080 cost $1500 here (three times the console cost, for the GPU alone) and according to these benchmarks it gets terrible performance in MW2. the RTX 3090 wasn't selling for a dollar less than $3000. (6 PS5s)

RTX 3080 gets 1440p@106fps and 4K@65fps. Those are VERY similar numbers to the XSX and PS5 versions running dynamic 4K locked at 60fps and unlocked up to 120fps (the resolution drops down to a bit under 1440p to hit 100+ fps)

So a GPU costing three times the cost of the entire console as barely outperforming it lol.

The 3070, which costs roughly 2 PS5 at the time gets 4K/48 and 1440p/81fps. This is why its very hard for me to convince my friends to get PCs to play with me.

There is so much wrong with your comparisons, I wouldn't know where to start. All I can say is try to compare apples to apples and under similar circumstances.

Avatar image for Mozelleple112
Mozelleple112

11293

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#25  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@BassMan: Whats wrong with my comparisons?

a PS5 cost me $500 back in 2020. At the time, a PC with a 2070 super would cost me $2000 with a decent i5 CPU, ram, SSD etc. Four times the cost of a PS5, not including Windows OS or a PC monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk, chair, etc. just the PC. My friend bought a 2060 super PC for about $2400. Not everywhere is the US where PC parts a dirt cheap. I would have skimped more on the CPU/RAM/Mobo etc to get a 2070S, but whatever.

if you look how the 2070 super performs in COD, and then look how the 60hz and 120hz modes in COD on PS5 you would realise it is a completely garbage price to performance ratio. It applies to other games as well of course.

Though I am obviously not limited by budget in any way lol. I spent $2000 on my Herman Miller chair alone almost and have a 4090 rig. But consoles are ridiculously better value than any PC and dollar for dollar of course out perform my setup. Which is just natural. Law of diminshing returns is law for a reason - it always applies in any context.

me myself with my budget = buying a flagship PC is worth every penny.

For my friends who only casually game / don't care about having the best? there is no way I would everyrecommend them getting a PC with a monitor, buying a desk, buying an office etc when they can just spend a few hundred bucks and get a PS5 and XSX and hook it up to your sofa.

People just assume everyone has or wants a big obtrusive desk, monitor, and sit on an office chair etc when 99% of people who live downtown in capital cities like us just have small apartments / girlfriends not accepting of having a PC setup / room. its a huge inconvenience, even if your budget is 'unlimited'.

Me Personally I wish they released the PS5 Pro same day as the regular PS5 for like $800-1000 or something with 2x the power. and then at the end of 2024 they can release the PS5 Ultra which is another 2x. At least then my PS exclusives would hold their own against my PC games.

Avatar image for gamingbets
GamingBets

11

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#26 GamingBets
Member since 2023 • 11 Posts

Pretty crazy really, you can pickup a decent pc these days for not too much more. I was going to get the ps5 when it dropped but yeah been waiting for the price to come down.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
DragonfireXZ95

26654

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#27 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26654 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@BassMan: Whats wrong with my comparisons?

a PS5 cost me $500 back in 2020. At the time, a PC with a 2070 super would cost me $2000 with a decent i5 CPU, ram, SSD etc. Four times the cost of a PS5, not including Windows OS or a PC monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk, chair, etc. just the PC. My friend bought a 2060 super PC for about $2400. Not everywhere is the US where PC parts a dirt cheap. I would have skimped more on the CPU/RAM/Mobo etc to get a 2070S, but whatever.

if you look how the 2070 super performs in COD, and then look how the 60hz and 120hz modes in COD on PS5 you would realise it is a completely garbage price to performance ratio. It applies to other games as well of course.

Though I am obviously not limited by budget in any way lol. I spent $2000 on my Herman Miller chair alone almost and have a 4090 rig. But consoles are ridiculously better value than any PC and dollar for dollar of course out perform my setup. Which is just natural. Law of diminshing returns is law for a reason - it always applies in any context.

me myself with my budget = buying a flagship PC is worth every penny.

For my friends who only casually game / don't care about having the best? there is no way I would everyrecommend them getting a PC with a monitor, buying a desk, buying an office etc when they can just spend a few hundred bucks and get a PS5 and XSX and hook it up to your sofa.

People just assume everyone has or wants a big obtrusive desk, monitor, and sit on an office chair etc when 99% of people who live downtown in capital cities like us just have small apartments / girlfriends not accepting of having a PC setup / room. its a huge inconvenience, even if your budget is 'unlimited'.

Me Personally I wish they released the PS5 Pro same day as the regular PS5 for like $800-1000 or something with 2x the power. and then at the end of 2024 they can release the PS5 Ultra which is another 2x. At least then my PS exclusives would hold their own against my PC games.

The 2070 Super was only 499 at launch. No one cares what you had to pay for it in whatever the hell country you're in. Objectively, we compare MSRP.

Avatar image for Mozelleple112
Mozelleple112

11293

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95: Objectively, the 2070S was not available for $500 for many consumers. The PS5 and XSX on the other hand was. No one gives a shit about the shit hole that is the US and your third world policies, lack of warranties, healthcare, consumer rights and etc.

Also, you say 'only' as if one single garbage component does not cost as much as an entire PS5 or XSX combined lool. Glad I am not a peasant budget PC gamer. Cause the value for your dollars are terrible.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

58607

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58607 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:

The price is fine for the hardware. $500 isnโ€™t supposed to get you cutting edge technology.

This.

For people that either don't want to buy or can't afford the best, and are fine settling for "good enough", a console is, well...good enough.

@lavamelon said:

They actually HAVE received price cuts. Itโ€™s called inflation.

You're technically correct I suppose but that doesn't mean much, and I hate the inflation argument.

Our buying power is decreasing over time. For people that are struggling, a gaming system is still a significant investment. Especially for something that does only one thing, more or less.

Yeah the whole "inflation is price cuts" argument is great in theory, but only as good as the "don't buy avocado toast and then you can buy a house" theory...which isn't a good argument at all.

Avatar image for qui-gon-milk
Qui-Gon-Milk

182

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

@BassMan: ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Avatar image for sakaixx
sakaiXx

16077

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16077 Posts

Honestly interesting the whole thread existed few days after this video dropped.

I just watched the cost challenge between Jay2cents and Austin Evans and summed up that instead of spending the 500 bucks PC cost (and + store discount), just get a console.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
DragonfireXZ95

26654

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26654 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Objectively, the 2070S was not available for $500 for many consumers. The PS5 and XSX on the other hand was. No one gives a shit about the shit hole that is the US and your third world policies, lack of warranties, healthcare, consumer rights and etc.

Also, you say 'only' as if one single garbage component does not cost as much as an entire PS5 or XSX combined lool. Glad I am not a peasant budget PC gamer. Cause the value for your dollars are terrible.

You have a hard time with this, eh? The PS5 was unavailable for a while and was up to 900 bucks, so I guess the PS5 being 900 bucks is quite unaffordable. Imagine paying 900 for a PS5, what a rip off.

Avatar image for pmanden
pmanden

2988

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#33 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2988 Posts

Have PC prices declined significantly the last three years? Not to my knowledge. The 500 USD price tag seems perfectly acceptable in these corona + inflation times.

Avatar image for tjandmia
tjandmia

3754

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3754 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@DragonfireXZ95: Objectively, the 2070S was not available for $500 for many consumers. The PS5 and XSX on the other hand was. No one gives a shit about the shit hole that is the US and your third world policies, lack of warranties, healthcare, consumer rights and etc.

Also, you say 'only' as if one single garbage component does not cost as much as an entire PS5 or XSX combined lool. Glad I am not a peasant budget PC gamer. Cause the value for your dollars are terrible.

As an American, I agree wholeheartedly with you. We're not far off from third world compared to the EU, CA, and AU.

Avatar image for locopatho
locopatho

24259

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#35  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Another gibbering PC gamer waiting decades for another exclusive like Crysis to show off their hardware, lol. Consoles rule, PC drools!

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Imagine paying 900 for a PS5, what a rip off.

Yeah, you literally imagined that lol

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
NoodleFighter

11825

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11825 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

@BassMan: Whats wrong with my comparisons?

a PS5 cost me $500 back in 2020. At the time, a PC with a 2070 super would cost me $2000 with a decent i5 CPU, ram, SSD etc. Four times the cost of a PS5, not including Windows OS or a PC monitor, keyboard, mouse, desk, chair, etc. just the PC. My friend bought a 2060 super PC for about $2400. Not everywhere is the US where PC parts a dirt cheap. I would have skimped more on the CPU/RAM/Mobo etc to get a 2070S, but whatever.

if you look how the 2070 super performs in COD, and then look how the 60hz and 120hz modes in COD on PS5 you would realise it is a completely garbage price to performance ratio. It applies to other games as well of course.

Though I am obviously not limited by budget in any way lol. I spent $2000 on my Herman Miller chair alone almost and have a 4090 rig. But consoles are ridiculously better value than any PC and dollar for dollar of course out perform my setup. Which is just natural. Law of diminshing returns is law for a reason - it always applies in any context.

me myself with my budget = buying a flagship PC is worth every penny.

For my friends who only casually game / don't care about having the best? there is no way I would everyrecommend them getting a PC with a monitor, buying a desk, buying an office etc when they can just spend a few hundred bucks and get a PS5 and XSX and hook it up to your sofa.

People just assume everyone has or wants a big obtrusive desk, monitor, and sit on an office chair etc when 99% of people who live downtown in capital cities like us just have small apartments / girlfriends not accepting of having a PC setup / room. its a huge inconvenience, even if your budget is 'unlimited'.

Me Personally I wish they released the PS5 Pro same day as the regular PS5 for like $800-1000 or something with 2x the power. and then at the end of 2024 they can release the PS5 Ultra which is another 2x. At least then my PS exclusives would hold their own against my PC games.

Feels like I'm reading a console vs PC debate from 2007. Even if you could get a PS5 for $500 at launch it was still incredibly hard due to silicon shortage and scalpers. Consoles weren't really doing that much better than PCs in that regard which is why most of the PS5s exclusives in the past 3 years ended up getting PS4 versions because not enough people were able to actually get a PS5 without paying scalper prices.

PS5 and XSX are only comparable to the RTX 2070 Super in rasterization performance. When raytracing and upscaling tech are involved even the RTX 2060 Super will put the PS5 and XSX to shame. The PS5 and Series X are kinda a generation behind PC hardware that came out 2 years before them because AMD's RDNA 2 is worse than Turing at RT and FSR doesn't have the same performance and image quality as DLSS 2 let alone DLSS 3. The PS5 is actually most equal to the RX 6700 and they perform nearly the same even in first party playstation exclusives that are bad ports such as TLOU remake. The RX 6700 can be bought for $270 currently.

The consoles are still a decent value with hardware that isn't too bad as in comparison to the 9th gen consoles but we're already seeing them not use RT in games as much because they have to sacrifice the overall graphics and image quality and the RT effects still wouldn't look good enough. If you don't care about getting the very best graphics that is fine. Even then you don't need the very best PC hardware to get a noticeably better experience than the consoles. Buying both a PS5 and XSX over a PC isn't very good value in my opinion since there are very few exclusives left to justify owning both consoles especially if you don't plan on playing most of them. Not to mention you'd have to pay for online on both consoles. You can definitely get a PC with a much better experience for $800-$1000 and that PC will get Xbox first party games day one and Playstation First party games day one or 1-2 years after their releases along with tons of PC games that don't release on consoles day one without having to pay for online ever.

Also man it's 2023 hooking your PC up to your TV isn't rare anymore or even hard. Plenty of console sized PC cases you can use. I'm sure you didn't include the price of people getting new TVs so they could take advantage of the 120fps modes in games so why do that for PC monitors? Small form factor PC cases are pretty accessible. I'm writing this post to you while lying in bed with my rig connected to my bedroom TV. I easily pick it up and bring it to the living room when I want to play on my 65in Sony TV. My PC isn't much bigger than the Xbox Series X and houses an RTX 3080 in it. I've seen people put the RTX 4080 and even 4090 in it. You also forget the portability advantage of laptops.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for Mozelleple112
Mozelleple112

11293

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#37 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@NoodleFighter: Average joe doesn't care about HDMI 2.1 capable TV. They just have a TV in the living room.

Average joe isn't doesn't give two shits about building a PC, so you can forget about custom small micro ITX PCs.

Everyone has a sofa and a TV in their apartment.

Almost no one wants, has, or has space for a desk, monitor, etc.

a 2060s system is still like 3 x more expensive than a PS5, unless you skimp on literally everything and it still costs $1000.

I got my PS5 day 1, pre-ordered.

I considered buying an RTX 2080 Ti, but was completely underwhelmed by how poorly it performed (not to mention 2080 and below)

After seeing the RTX 3090 launch for like $1500 I was 100% going to buy one, but in Norway they weren't available anywhere unless you bought them grey market / second hand for like $3500. I refused (of course). the 3080s were going for $2500 almost. late 2020/early 2021 was crazy.

Ended up getting an RTX 4090 FE with 5 year premium warranty for (roughly) $2000. Thank god I waited lol. Shit's so good Nvidia won't even bother with 4090 TI / 4090 Super.

I have my 4090 rig hooked up to my 77" OLED, and I just move my small desk back and forth. I place it about 6 feet away from the TV (in front of my sofa) so I can play m/KB immersively as ****. Not for everyone though.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
DragonfireXZ95

26654

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#38 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26654 Posts

@locopatho said:

Another gibbering PC gamer waiting decades for another exclusive like Crysis to show off their hardware, lol. Consoles rule, PC drools!

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Imagine paying 900 for a PS5, what a rip off.

Yeah, you literally imagined that lol

I'm just using his logic, but thanks for misquoting me. The PS5 was, in fact, only available through scalpers for 900 bucks at one point. According to Mozelle, if the price is high for any period of time, that is the price that is always used. You apparently missed the rest of the conversation, however.

Avatar image for NoodleFighter
NoodleFighter

11825

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#39  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11825 Posts

@Mozelleple112: If average Joe doesn't care about HDMI 2.1 then they're not getting the full value out of their console since they won't be able to take advantage of the 120hz modes in games or VRR. It is like playing on a PS4 with a TV from the early 2000s. You'd might as well just stick to a last gen console because you wouldn't see how great the graphics and performance on the new consoles are due to not having better display tech that can showcase it.

Seriously man the arguments you're using are the type you'd hear from the late 2000s and early 2010s that have already been long debunked. PC gaming is very mainstream now even with the price hikes and price inflation it hasn't stopped PC gaming from growing or high demanding games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Dying Light 2 having the PC version outselling the console versions. You can walk into a Best Buy, Target or Walmart and see gaming PCs on display and walk out of the store with a prebuilt or gaming PC parts. Also people have been inside and working from home for almost 3 years now. Who doesn't have an office setup or desk? Even then PCs were the biggest technological tool and innovation for the past 4 decades that it is a must have to own don't know how you or anyone else with that kind of mindset made it through the last 4 decades and isn't a boomer.

Don't know the currency exchange for Norway which is where I assume you live since you brought it up but here in the United States where our gaming market is far more relevant than Norway's a RTX 2060 Super Rig is not 3 times more expensive than a PS5 or XSX. I just did a quick search online and you can buy a prebuilt gaming PC with an RTX 2060 Super in a small form factor with a mouse and keyboard included for $700 on Newegg.

I also found a $1000 prebuilt mini itx gaming PC that has an RTX 4060 in it. You could build a PC similar for about $200 less. The RTX 4060 will definitely give you a noticeably better experience than the PS5 and XSX and it will be even bigger in games that support DLSS 3 since it can take advantage of frame generation.

Even if you're partner is picky about having a desktop computer in the living room you can get a gaming laptop. I found this Acer Nitro 5 with an RTX 3070 Ti for $1000 on Best Buy. The Nitro 5 uses the fastest version of the mobile RTX 3070 Ti which is only about 14-20% slower than the desktop version in games at 1440p. Plus you don't have to factor in the cost a screen since the laptop comes with one that is 1440p and has FreeSync. Also comes with one month of GamePass Ultimate and is more portable than the PS5 and XSX.

Avatar image for nfamouslegend
NfamousLegend

1011

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#40 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1011 Posts

Sounds like a money issue ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ. If you are too poor to pay $399 for a hobby you enjoy and something you will keep for years then I don't know what yo tell you. Wait, actually I do, find another hobby or get a better job

Avatar image for tjandmia
tjandmia

3754

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3754 Posts
@nfamouslegend said:

Sounds like a money issue ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ. If you are too poor to pay $399 for a hobby you enjoy and something you will keep for years then I don't know what yo tell you. Wait, actually I do, find another hobby or get a better job

Blah blah blah. $399 gets you a gimped ps5. Not worth it. If you're going to buy a gimped console, you might as well buy an xbox series s for less.

Avatar image for eni232
ENI232

1007

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#42 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

If the pro comes out the price will go down.

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
JoshRMeyer

12578

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#43 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12578 Posts

@tjandmia: What's gimped on the $399 PS5? The lack of a disc drive? Series S also has no disc drive, less RAM, slower RAM, less storage, slower storage, and a far less capable GPU. How would that hardware be even remotely on the same level for $100 difference?

Avatar image for tjandmia
tjandmia

3754

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#44 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3754 Posts

@joshrmeyer: Series S is also $100 less expensive. Though with the series S, the game library is what's gimped the most. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
JoshRMeyer

12578

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#45 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12578 Posts

@tjandmia: Yeah, it's cheaper, but bang for buck, I'd say PS5 digital is a much better deal. And yeah, devs are gonna be either skipping or delaying the launch of games(for series consoles)because of the gimped series S. Not worth it imo.

Avatar image for PAL360
PAL360

30574

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#46  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Not sure if the price is fair or not, but i don't feel that these consoles are underpowered. Most games look great, run smooth and i love the almost lack of loadings we get from these SSDs. Perfect for me.