Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

I've been considering getting either a 2DS or 3DS next week and so i've spent the past couple hours on Youtube watching various reviews and comparisons of both the 3DS XL and 2DS systems.

To my surprise the majority of reviewers prefer the design, and comfort of the 2DS over the 3DS, the few that did pick the 3DS XL only did so because of the larger screen size, but a 2DS XL is in the not too distant future, i'm sure, most likely to be announced at the T.G.S.

However for the most part they've all specified the same thing, brighter screen and longer battery life than the original 3DS and they all claim it's the most comfortable handheld to play for a long period of time above all others.

Now even though i myself would prefer a larger screen 2DS, comfort has been an issue with me and Sony & Nintendo portables in the past, and if this 2DS is infact more comfortable to play over long periods of time, then i'll take it, another plus is not having to worry about the loosening hinge over a long period of time with the 2DS's flat construction....i'll hold it and test it out in the store but i think thats going to be the one i choose.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#2 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

I can attest that the regular 3DS is one of the most uncomfortable things in regards to playing extended hours, especially if you have average size adult hands. I dealt with it to play SMT IV and Fire Emblem, however, and have no regrets with the cramps, since the games were so magical. But yes, get a 2DS instead, it's much more comfortable and cheaper than the 3DS XL by far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

2DS is great. I suspect the design tells us what future Nintendo handheld systems may look like.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

I never use the 3D on my 3DS.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@charizard1605: Like tablets with a break in the middle of the screen?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45059 Posts

if you're like 12 I guess..

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Slimmin360

@Dead-Memories said:

I can attest that the regular 3DS is one of the most uncomfortable things in regards to playing extended hours, especially if you have average size adult hands. I dealt with it to play SMT IV and Fire Emblem, however, and have no regrets with the cramps, since the games were so magical. But yes, get a 2DS instead, it's much more comfortable and cheaper than the 3DS XL by far.

Yup thats the same conclusion adults seem to have, and my adult size hands are no different, i want to be able to play for the duration of an entire battery charge without those annoying cramps, and if the 2DS is finally the system to cure those cramps, i'll be picking one up next week.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I do. I just picked up Mario Golf and I sure about 1/2 the 3D power for it when I'm playing. I don't have any problems. Having the 3D all the way up can bother your eyes for some games though. I'm going to pick up a 3DS XL and give my other 3DS to my daughter once she gets older. The good thing about the 3DS is you can just turn off the 3D whenever you want to. If you don't care for the 3D on the system, they by all means, get the 2D version. I already own a regular DS system and the 3DS will play regular DS games as well.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

1. Nintendo announces something we consider underwhelming.
2. The media asks what is wrong with Nintendo as a business and where it went wrong. They think of a hundred ways to say that Nintendo should give up.
3. People buy it anyway and like it.

Uh it must be nostalgia and casuals and uh, did you see that MS news?
How long until the media figures it out. (That they're dumbasses.)

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Slimmin360

@SolidGame_basic said:

Actually it's the direct opposite, it turns out that the adults with the larger hands prefer the 2DS design over the 3DS for the ergonomics and pure comfort of playing for hours on end.

Between the higher positioned controls on the face of the 2DS and the larger, more travel shoulder buttons, the 2DS turns out to be better suited for adults.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@charizard1605: I was thinking the same when I saw the 2DS. Makes sense the SP was a clam shell design. And the Dsi looks pretty similar to the original 3DS. I might be tempted by a larger 2DS.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

The 2DS is much more comfortable than the 3DS. If you don't use 3D, and comfort is a big thing to you, its a easy choice.Esp. If you don't want the bigger screens. I use to have one until I upgraded to the XL, and had no problems with it. The only two bad things imo is that it felt cheap.( Which is it is, so i guess I shouldn't knock it for that.) and the Plastic scratches easy..

Personally I like the Xl better, but for the price its great. It just looks strange, but who cares when its a dream to play.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I use it a lot, personally.

But it works way better in games specifically designed for the 3DS (Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart) than in remakes (OOT, Donkey Kong) which is a bit of a shame.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By R4gn4r0k

Also, mono sound ?

How cheap can nintendo be ?

I thought not including a charger with the XL was really cheap. But this... mono sound ? really ?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: @blackace:

I hate having to hold it in one(mostly) position to get the effect.Seems like slight movements you loose the effect and it's not as easy to see the game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
@Heil68 said:

Same here. Having to hold it in one position=nope.

TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TrappedInABox91

@R4gn4r0k: Well the 2DS was more or less solely made to move more 3DSs with Pokemon. Its great for people that only want to play Pokemon, but don't want to dish out extra for the 3DS/XL. Mono speaker is one of the cuts to reduce cost, and pass it on to the consumer. Just another option for everyone depending on their gaming needs.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#18 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

All the regular 3DS needs ergonomically is better corners because **** whomever thought those corners would be good for extended play sessions. Other improvements off the top of my head is a bigger screen because ewww, so much fucking bezel. I know the battery, resolution, ratio with the second screen would have all needed massive overhauls in R&D, but I would have preferred a larger screen with the same system size.

This is, of course, before the debate of whether or not the system should have come with two analog sticks, which the answer is yes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

@Heil68 said:

@R4gn4r0k: @blackace:

I hate having to hold it in one(mostly) position to get the effect.Seems like slight movements you loose the effect and it's not as easy to see the game.

@freedomfreak said:

Same here. Having to hold it in one position=nope.

Yeah, when you move it around you start seeing 2 images.

Holding it in one position can be annoying. But I hate having to wear glasses to see a 3D effect even more, haha

@TrappedInABox91 said:

@R4gn4r0k: Well the 2DS was more or less solely made to move more 3DSs with Pokemon. Its great for people that only want to play Pokemon, but don't want to dish out extra for the 3DS/XL. Mono speaker is one of the cuts to reduce cost, and pass it on to the consumer. Just another option for everyone depending on their gaming needs.

I can't even remember what the last handheld was with mono sound...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@charizard1605: Like tablets with a break in the middle of the screen?

Like no clamshell designs anymore. They might actually go with a single screen tablet design, I don't know. But I do know they will ditch the clamshell.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Direct opposite for me.. The 2ds is more affordable, consists of a sturdier design and doesn't include the 3d garbage.. Furthermore are people seriously complaining about the mono speaker on it? All the handheld game speakers blow to begin with, and if sound quality is your concern, your going to use earbuds the majority of the time anyways.

Finally I don't understand the complaint of portability. As far as I am concerned if your sticking a handheld console in your pockets you are most likely a kid to begin with.. No adult is going to fit that shit in their pockets when they have a wallet, keys, cell phone at least to begin with.. I sure as hell wouldn't..

TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TrappedInABox91

@R4gn4r0k: I believe the Gameboy Sp and Micro were the last mono speaker handhelds. I could be wrong.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k

@TrappedInABox91 said:

@R4gn4r0k: I believe the Gameboy Sp and Micro were the last mono speaker handhelds. I could be wrong.

Uh-huh I think you're right, that was the last one: the Gameboy Micro.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

I'm continually surprised at how many people don't like the 3D.

Clearly I'm in the minority but games just look so much more immersive in 3D.

Playing Luigis Mansion in 3D is like constantly peering into a haunted dollhouse where characters and objects appear to take up real world space within the screen.

The maps in Fire Emblem look breathtaking in 3D - hills, canyons, valleys, birds flying overhead all give the world a sense of presence.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Why LOL? The 2DS is clearly better. Comfier, cheaper, no horrid 3D effect. I was simply delighted when Nintendo released it. Great little machine.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I love my 2DS. Never cared for the design of the 3DS, it tends to be uncomfortable after playing an hour or two. And that hinge always gets loose after a year or two. I also could care less about the 3D.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i would of bought a 2ds if it was around when i got a 3ds.. i have never use the 3d at all

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Got a 2DS in my house too. I'm giving it to my son on his birthday so I haven't played it much yet, but the lower price tag along and more kid friendly design (no hinges) was a no brainer for me. Got it for $99 with a free copy of Pokemon.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#29 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

If I didn't already have a 3DS, I would get a 2DS. I have an regular 3DS. I never use the 3D functionality and I get tons of fingerprints all over it. The 3DS XL may have a bigger screen, but it makes games look worse. A friend of mine got a 2DS, and it does feel better in my hands. The shoulder buttons are leagues better on it, too.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

2DS is great. I suspect the design tells us what future Nintendo handheld systems may look like.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#31  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

3D is amazing when it actually works well, but I'm not a fan of having to hold the 3DS in a certain position and thus have it turned off most of the time, so if I didn't already have a 3DS, I would totally go for a 2DS.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Slimmin360

@locopatho said:

Why LOL? The 2DS is clearly better. Comfier, cheaper, no horrid 3D effect. I was simply delighted when Nintendo released it. Great little machine.

No, i just meant it's funny that it's surprisingly the more popular of the two, considering it's the less expensive and is minus the 3D and screen size of the XL...thats all.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Slimmin360

@RossRichard said:

I love my 2DS. Never cared for the design of the 3DS, it tends to be uncomfortable after playing an hour or two. And that hinge always gets loose after a year or two. I also could care less about the 3D.

Yup, it's pretty much the way i feel too, but knowing my luck i'll pick up my 2DS next week and then in Sept Nintendo will announce the 2DS-XL at the T.G.S.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Also, mono sound ?

I thought not including a charger with the XL was really cheap. But this... mono sound ? really ?

Mono sounds in the 2D version? I thought it wiould be quality stereo.

I have no problems with the 3DS and how it's played. Not sure why they went with the square look of the system, but it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the games played on it. I do use the 3D feature for some games, but not for all.

TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TrappedInABox91

@Slimmin360: I doubt Nintendo with come out with yet another 3DS. They usually come out with 3 a gen. Considering they have an entry, a mid and a high range 3DS. There's no point for them to waste making another. Common sense says so.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Meinhard1 said:

I'm continually surprised at how many people don't like the 3D.

Clearly I'm in the minority but games just look so much more immersive in 3D.

Playing Luigis Mansion in 3D is like constantly peering into a haunted dollhouse where characters and objects appear to take up real world space within the screen.

The maps in Fire Emblem look breathtaking in 3D - hills, canyons, valleys, birds flying overhead all give the world a sense of presence.

i feel exactly the same...its like looking at a little world inside the 3ds.

i feel the effect is much better on the original 3ds than the xl...

the comfort was an issue though but i bought this and its terrific. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTABLE-GAMING-GRIP-HOLDER-FOR-NINTENDO-3DS-BLACK-/191206165276?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories_VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item2c84c68b1c

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I really wish I could find a store where I could try out the 2DS. The 3DS has some really great games that I would like to play, but it is just so uncomfortable to hold that it is not worth putting my hands through the pain. If the 2DS is somewhat comfortable, I might buy it, but I'm not going to buy it until I can try it first to confirm that it is not an ergonomic disaster like the 3DS, but all the stores only put out the 3DS to try.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Also, mono sound ?

Buy a pair of these. They will sound better than the speakers on any handheld ever will.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Just waiting for them to release 2DS XL ..I hardly use 3D on my 3DS...very few games look good with it. :p

Bro in law bought a 2DS & yea more comfortable to hold than the original 3DS...if you have big hands get 3DS XL or 2DS.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I prefer the 3DS by a lot.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

If they had made the 2DS with a clam shell design I would have probably bought one of those instead of a 3DS. Because none of us use the crappy 3D.

As it stands now the 2DS is butt ugly, and seems to be aimed for young kids that have a hard time holding a 3DS, and kids that shouldn't be exposed to the 3D tech (under 7 I believe). If they ever come out with a less fugly 2DS I may pick one up down the road, but as long as it keeps the deformed pad aimed at 4 year old kids look I'll avoid it.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

It's much cheaper than the 3DS, I'll give you that.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Slimmin360

@coasterguy65 said:

If they had made the 2DS with a clam shell design I would have probably bought one of those instead of a 3DS. Because none of us use the crappy 3D.

As it stands now the 2DS is butt ugly, and seems to be aimed for young kids that have a hard time holding a 3DS, and kids that shouldn't be exposed to the 3D tech (under 7 I believe). If they ever come out with a less fugly 2DS I may pick one up down the road, but as long as it keeps the deformed pad aimed at 4 year old kids look I'll avoid it.

Actually the official launch commercial shows both kids and adults playing the 2DS, so i don't see where you think it was necessarily aimed towards little kids....and now that adults have discovered it's ergonomic design offers them a feeling of long lasting comfort that they didn't have with the 3DS or the XL, now it's even more proof positive the 2DS is for all ages.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Slimmin360

@93BlackHawk93 said:

I prefer the 3DS by a lot.

I prefer the screen size of the 3DS XL by alot........Believe me if i had the technical and mechanical know how to take apart a 3DS XL and make a 2DS flat casing for it i would, because thats the only thing that urks me about the 2DS is the screen size. I just don't feel like waiting for the 2DS XL announcement and release date, even if it's announced at the Sept T.G.S. we could still be looking at Xmas holiday release, if we're lucky.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It's the cheaper option too, so If you want to play 3DS games, but don't want to spend the money for an XL just get the 2DS.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I remember the days when people were laughing at the 2ds. Now they like it better than the 3ds. Go figure.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts
@Slimmin360 said:

@coasterguy65 said:

Actually the official launch commercial shows both kids and adults playing the 2DS, so i don't see where you think it was necessarily aimed towards little kids....and now that adults have discovered it's ergonomic design offers them a feeling of long lasting comfort that they didn't have with the 3DS or the XL, now it's even more proof positive the 2DS is for all ages.

I never said it was exclusive to only kids, but it was geared towards younger kids. My Little Pony was geared towards very young girls. Yet this never stopped middle aged men from embracing being Bronies. Anyway.........

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80921/nintendo-2ds-aims-at-young-kids-says-noa-president

Yesterday's announcement of Nintendo 2DS came rather unexpectedly. And many Shackers weren't pleased with Nintendo's latest offering, citing issues like lessened portability. However, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime admits that the device isn't meant for you. Instead, it's meant to help the company target "very young kids: five, six, seven years old."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/29/4671052/nintendo-2ds-targeting-demographic-of-very-young-kids-says-nintendo

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds

According to Fils-Aime, the idea for the 2DS came from wanting to appeal to younger consumers, as the standard 3DS is aimed at players age seven and up.

Imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat, and with the depth slider all the way down. Everything else is there in the system.

“We’re always thinking about what we can do that’s new, unique, different, and brings more people into this category that we love,” Fils-Aime said. “And so with the Nintendo 3DS, we were clear to parents that, ‘hey, we recommend that your children be seven and older to utilize this device.’ So clearly that creates an opportunity for five-year-olds, six-year-olds, that first-time handheld gaming consumer."

TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TrappedInABox91

@Slimmin360: The 2DS XL will never happen. Quote me to the heavens,

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 R4gn4r0k

@blackace said:

Mono sounds in the 2D version? I thought it wiould be quality stereo.

I have no problems with the 3DS and how it's played. Not sure why they went with the square look of the system, but it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the games played on it. I do use the 3D feature for some games, but not for all.

Yup, there is only one speaker...

Same here. I love the 3D effect in games like Mario Kart, but I don't use it in all games. Sometimes I put it on lowest setting, sometimes on highest. It depends on the game.

@inb4uall said:

Buy a pair of these. They will sound better than the speakers on any handheld ever will.

Ok, that would be a good solution.

But you'd have to carry that with you everywhere, and I can't wear headphones for hours on end... but then again, I never play on a handheld for hours on end :P

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

I have a 3DS, 3DSXL, and a 2DS. The 2DS is hands down the most comfortable to play and gets played the most, 3DS sits in a drawer and the XL is only for "immersive" games (Luigi's Mansion, Bravely Default, etc).

Bigger screen of the XL is hardly worth it when the resolution is such a joke.