Lol. How is PSPlus better than Gamepass?

• 151 results
tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Yeah, I didn't expect this, at all. All I've been reading online is how Gamepass is the best deal in gaming, but not only is a yearly subscription to PSPlus extra and ea play is less expensive, the ps exclusives are better and they're mostly sharing their "indie" offerings.

What am I missing here with gamepass? Doesn't seem like much. I'm not sure how having day one access to a broken game like halo infinite or an extremely boring and ruined franchise like gears is a net positive.

I guess gamepass is the greatest deal in gaming if you're not aware ps plus exists. 🤷‍♂️

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 12943 Posts

Game Pass blows away PS Plus, PS Plus Extra and PS Plus Premium.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

As someone who doesn't use PS+ for anything other than discounts and online play, I can't give you an answer that would be satisfactory. However, I've seen what PS+ offers and every month they offer games I don't want to try. So I'm glad I don't subscribe to their services for their monthly offerings.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Dude you're trying and failing hard

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50551 Posts

Doesn't extra have more games for less?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

PS- is just that a minus.😂

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

i can't believe you have the sack to hype up ps plus. Theres nobody here who would do such a thing. I subscribed to ps plus twice (before the new tiers) and it was complete trash. The only good thing was it was cheap...though that makes no difference when I barely touched it in the entire year plus 3 months I owned it. The new tiers just add a few ps4/5 games like spiderman, and demon souls, horizon and stray. But if you have most of those games already, which most ps owners do (plus its FREE in the ps collection for ps5 owners), then ps plus is even more useless.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The big differentiator is day 1 games. But until the acquired studios start releasing games, I’m not sure what this content advantage Game Pass has, is. Game Pass can also be had for a steep discount still, so there’s that too. But judging library vs library, Game Pass Vs the extra and essential PS+ tiers, and I‘d like to see someone argue that Game Pass has better content

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8852 Posts

@tjandmia:

Day 1 releases.

/thread

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

I prefer Game Pass myself. 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

GP is mostly old games.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10612 Posts

I think that the only real reason why ps+ extra/premium is even considered is because of the “assumed“ belief amongst a lot of gamers that ps have the more preferable exclusives. With that being said, Sony doesn’t push ps+ extra/premium as hard as Microsoft has been pushing GP.

Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@goldenelementxl: same! There are no real gamez

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Imagine thinking that any of the PS+ tiers are as good as GP..... LOL, that is some funny shit.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7148 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: lol you just admitted Playstation fans still buy games.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56067 Posts

I can use GP on my gaming PC and PS+ doesn't offer me a Goddamn thing with no PS5 games, no day 1 release PS5 for PC & again, Sony doesn't have an answer for PC gamers but GP does.

GP + PC = GP is better than PS+👌

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7148 Posts

If you skipped the ps4 ps plus is better.

If you skipped Xbox one gamepass is better.

All fanboys just got owned lmao J/K

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 733 Posts

I don't think Game Pass is better than PS Plus. I feel like they are about the same. I use both of them to play indies I might have otherwise missed. Last week I played Inside on Game Pass. This week I'm playing The Last Campire on PS Plus. Neither service is amazing imho. I think if Xbox ever starts actually releasing games, then they will have the edge.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KvallyX  Online

There is a reason they call it IndieStation Plus.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tjandmia

@kvallyx: I'm not seeing gamepass blowing away PSPlus, at all. Gamepad is mostly low budget stuff or AA stuff from 5 years ago. I think you're falling for the hype.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@dabear: they've had no day one releases to write home about since last year. Also Plus has day ones too. Nice try with your BS narrative.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dabear

@Sagemode87: Grounded, High On Life, Scorn will be Day 1 this year.

I don't think you want to discuss 2023...

You cows sure are reaching.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

The day one thing on gamepass seems like a forever wait for something I wanna play day 1. I canceled mine last month, but had it all year. What tips the scale in favor of gamepass for me was the streaming option for almost every game it seems. Very cool feature that allows you to play on nearly any phone, tablet or PC, even my Chromebook worked. I think both services are better for a month or two use, not a continuous subscription. Runs out of games too soon. I'd say out of 100 games, about 3 interested me. Not into indies much. And still no Forza motorsport on gamepass which is a shame.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts
@dabear said:

@Sagemode87: Grounded, High On Life, Scorn will be Day 1 this year.

I don't think you want to discuss 2023...

You cows sure are reaching.

No, you're the one reaching by trying to act serious with your little list 😅. You guys said that this year. Let's see how that pans out for you. MS doesn't have the best track record. I'm convinced they've given up on this gen and are just setting up for next gen. Lems will just write off Series like they did Xbox One. Don't understand the White Knight-ing for a brand you can't be proud of today.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

All I care about is PS Plus Essential and Xbox Live, only because they're required to play online multiplayer games. I give zero fucks about gaming subscription services.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dabear

@Sagemode87: It so funny to me how you cows just act like Christmas 2021 never happened. You know, where there were ZERO PS5 games released (because Horizon, GT, and GoW were all delayed).

You've dug yourself quite a hole. It's going to be so much fun watching you and your fanboy brethren try to get out of it.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KvallyX  Online

@tjandmia said:

@kvallyx: I'm not seeing gamepass blowing away PSPlus, at all. Gamepad is mostly low budget stuff or AA stuff from 5 years ago. I think you're falling for the hype.

You are wrong, and that’s ok.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Even I wouldn't use bait this shit 🤣

Last placestation

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

"How is PSPlus better than Gamepass?"

Said no one ever. lol :P

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8035 Posts

"better games" is certainly subjective from either side of the fence..

but objectively, Game Pass receives exponentially more Day One content from both 1st and 3rd party developers/publishers.. that's just a plain fact.. both services offer "old games" but only one of the two has a consistent roadmap of brand new content coming into the service..

and since PlayStation fanboys pretend that they don't want Day One content, I don't see this dynamic changing anytime soon..

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

GamePass has significantly more day one releases but, PS Plus Extra + EA Access is a very compelling offering too.

That being said, it's honestly just a matter of time until PS Plus gets the exact same 3rd party games day one. If the economics (truly) works for Microsoft then it'll work for PlayStation. I think the biggest difference is that PlayStation just isn't ready to shift huge parts of its business to a subscription model (just yet).

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KvallyX  Online
@Antwan3K said:

but objectively, Game Pass receives exponentially more Day One content from both 1st and 3rd party developers/publishers.. that's just a plain fact.. both services offer "old games" but only one of the two has a consistent roadmap of brand new content coming into the service..

and since PlayStation fanboys pretend that they don't want Day One content, I don't see this dynamic changing anytime soon..

If you want old PS1 games and a library of all Indies, go with PS Plus. If you want a stellar library with AAA games, exclusives and day one first and third party games, Game Pass is your man!

There is a reason that Game Pass has 70% of the subscription global market for gaming.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Regardless of your opinion of it now, I'm intrigued to see how Gamepass looks in 4-6 years when some of their 1st party stuff starts hitting on a semi-regular basis.

That would probably force Sony to be more competitive. Competition is good for us all.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tjandmia

@kvallyx said:
@Antwan3K said:

If you want old PS1 games and a library of all Indies, go with PS Plus. If you want a stellar library with AAA games, exclusives and day one first and third party games, Game Pass is your man!

There is a reason that Game Pass has 70% of the subscription global market for gaming.

Psplus and game Amazon Luna are more popular and have more subscribers.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KvallyX  Online

@tjandmia said:
@kvallyx said:
@Antwan3K said:

Psplus and game Amazon Luna are more popular and have more subscribers.

Not according to Sony.

https://game-news24.com/2022/08/01/the-xbox-game-pass-contains-almost-70-percent-of-the-global-subscription-market-it-confirms-it-sony/

Sony announced that at the moment, Xbox Game Pass would even count on an inclusive percentage of 60 to 70% of the global gaming market. It’s still the case with Sony, that assessment would be more shocking for Brazil. In fact, the United States’ most significant city would see its subscription market dominated between 70% and 80 percent by Xbox Game Pass.

https://pledgetimes.com/xbox-game-pass-for-sony-holds-70-of-the-global-subscription-services-market/

"In this regard, Sony has pointed out in talks with the Brazilian authorities that the company sees serious competition in the Xbox Game Pass for the classic sale of video games. Especially since Xbox Game Pass has 60 to 70% market share among subscription offerings, according to Sony."

https://xboxera.com/2022/08/01/sony-comments-on-call-of-duty-game-pass-and-more/

Sony also commented on Game Pass, discussing their thoughts on the service and if they think anyone can compete. They say “Over the past five years, Microsoft’s Game Pass has grown to capture approximately 60-70% of the global subscription services market.”

They are then asked what it would take to create a service that could compete with Game Pass, and say “it would take several years for a competitor – even with substantial investments – to create a rival effective for Game Pass.”

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Game pass is great for people who prefer to play flops from MS or indie games

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KvallyX  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@kvallyx: I'm not going to comment on the argument you're making but at least never quote game-news24.com again, the author of that article known only as "Mason" also wrote 100 other articles on the same day, the site is clearly generated by bots. Pledge Times is similarly sus, an author on that site "admin_l6ma5gus" similarly wrote like 100 articles the same day. Similarly wtf is Xbox Era, at least they have a podcast though.

I did find the original source. A user on Resetera summarizing what they have found at this resource.

"Over the past five years, Microsoft’s Game Pass has grown to capture approximately 60-70% of the global subscription services market" is not a quote from Sony, it is a quote from that user.

I'm not sure where in that material they found this info, I didn't go that far. I'm just posting this because I found the links you posted are of terrible quality.

They (the media) found the information in the official Brazilian reports which were made official online:

https://sei.cade.gov.br/sei/modulos/pesquisa/md_pesq_processo_exibir.php?1MQnTNkPQ_sX_bghfgNtnzTLgP9Ehbk5UOJvmzyesnbE-Rf6Pd6hBcedDS_xdwMQMK6_PgwPd2GFLljH0OLyFX6gl2sGKAL6BCs1NvfGDcTA25PStaVelgicwm5iRue6

Which were required to be publicly available according to their laws. In the documents Sony said (not Resetera) that over the past five years, Game Pass has grown to capture approximately 60-70% of the global subscription services market. You can even use your built in translator to view the documents. And in those same documents, with quotes from Sony, Sony stated they believe that it would take several years for a competitor – even with substantial investments – to create a rival effective for Game Pass.

So in the link above are the official documents. Sorry I didn't post that link before.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KvallyX  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@kvallyx: It's ok. I posted that link too, finally I downloaded a PDF of that material, and found that they used this to establish the amount of the market that Game Pass had:

Apparently 25 million subscribers is 60-70% of the "global subscription services market"

Which seems unrealistic. That means that the rest of the market, including Sony is TINY. 🤷‍♂️

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KvallyX  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@kvallyx: I dunno, it would be nice if there were more numbers out there. Could be it's just some lawyering, giving a narrow definition to suit the legal case.

That's true. The only things I think of when it comes to "global subscriptions market" is gaming related. So what would be included?

• Xbox Live Silver
  • Xbox Live Gold
  • PlayStation Network Free
  • PlayStation Network Plus
  • Xbox Game Pass
  • Xbox Game Pass for PC
  • PlayStation Plus Extra
  • PlayStation Plus Premium
  • Nintendo Online
  • GeForce Now
  • Steam? (would they be/have a subscription)
  • EA Play
  • Ubisoft Plus?
  • WoW Subscriptions

There is so much to consider, it's mind boggling.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KvallyX  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@kvallyx:Even Amazon Prime Games, which is all Amazon Prime subscribers, and Netflix Games, which is similarly all Netflix subscribers, Apple Arcade. It's meaningless without context.

What I saw in those documents was this:

Lawyer: In the last 5 (five) years, has there been any relevant entry into the digital distribution of games? If yes, indicate the companies that recently entered this market, specifying the platform(s) – PC, consoles, mobile devices – and the countries/regions in which each operates incoming.

Sony: Digital distribution of games can take two forms: users can buy a digital copy of a game from an online store (such as the Game Store from Xbox, Nintendo's eShop and SIE's PlayStation Store) and do the download on their console, or they can subscribe to a service such as Game Pass from Microsoft, and pay a monthly fee to access a game library.

Over the past five years, Microsoft's Game Pass has grown to capture approximately 60-70% of the global subscription services market. That participation is even greater in Brazil, where the Game Pass represents approximately 70-80% of the PC subscription services market.

When Microsoft announced that it would acquire ZeniMax in 2020, Game Pass had approximately 10 million subscribers. even if each subscriber has purchased the cheapest tier ($10 per month), this is equivalent to to more than $1.2 billion in annual subscription revenue. As shown in Figure Q19.1 below, when Microsoft announced that would acquire Activision in 2022, Game Pass had grown to 25 million of subscribers - a 38% increase in January 2021 - doubling your revenue annual Game Pass subscription to at least $3 billion.

• Microsoft, ‘Welcoming the Incredible Teams and Legendary Franchises of Activision Blizzard to Microsoft Gaming’ (18 January 2022) <https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/>.
  • The estimated annual revenue of US$ 3 billion is based on multiplying 25 million subscribers by 12 monthly payments of $9.99. treat conservative estimate as many players will pay $14.99 for the Ultimate level of the Game pass.

(I see they assumed people paid more than $1 for 3 years of Game Pass)

Well, that puts a bit more context into it. So they are merely talking about game rental subscriptions, at least that is my take from it.

Digital distribution of games can take two forms: users can buy a digital copy of a game from an online store (such as the Game Store from Xbox, Nintendo's eShop and SIE's PlayStation Store) and do the download on their console, or they can subscribe to a service such as Game Pass from Microsoft, and pay a monthly fee to access a game library.

So that takes out XBL Gold for example.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KvallyX  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@kvallyx: I also found:

Global Market Shares in Multi-Game Subscriptions

Multi-Game Subscriptions for Console – Global – 2020

Apparently the 60-70% market is referring to the PC market. When they speak of all platforms, suddenly MS drops to 20-30% of the market, and when they talk about console only, MS has 30-40% of the market.

But one interesting thing we see is that PS Now has 0-10% on Console globally, vs 30-40% for MS, but it isn't specified whether that's MS Game Pass or MS Gold+Game Pass. On all platforms Sony has 0-10% and MS has 20-30%.

I don't know Portuguese and I'm just using Google Translate. But maybe the user on Resetera took the 60-70% out of context and they think MS has 60-70% of gaming subscriptions globally out of all platforms.

Anyway, these are Sony's figures, and they could be wrong about the other platforms statistics, or cherry picking.

I also see those as 2020 numbers and we are almost in 2023. And this predates PS Extra/Premium. But from what we are seeing here, Xbox only (not PC), they seem pretty competitive, but with MS trailing. Maybe Sony includes PC because MS has Xbox on PC (I think the Xbox app and Game UI is sold with consumer PCs pre-installed) which Sony could see as an unfair advantage (see old browser monopoly). But that means if PC is included AND it's a game subscription advantage, the only game subscription that MS has on PC is, Game Pass for PC.

Well, in the end, no biggie. But I do find that all interesting.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KvallyX  Online
@girlusocrazy said:

@kvallyx: They had tables for 2021 and the % was the same. PSNow is still 0-10% on the console market. Maybe that's changed since they renamed it to PS Plus Extra/Premium but I'm not sure. Anyway they're just trying to argue against the Blizzard/Activision merger so they're going to cherry pick.

I hope the merger goes through.

Good luck with all that Sony & MS, I'm sticking with physical.

SW Hat on: I hope the merger goes through.

SW Hat off: I do think it would not be cool if after 6 more years of COD on PlayStation that MS decides to not renew a contract with Sony. Business is business, but to me that would be like taking away the ability to watch Lionsgate movies on your Samsung blu-ray player if Sony bought Lionsgate and prevented any blu-ray player from playing future Lionsgate movies other than Sony blu-ray players.

The consumers don't deserve that. Now, if MS uses their new Activision/Blizzard to create exclusive new IPs, sure I am on board. Same with if Bungie created an all new IP and it was exclusive to PlayStation. Don't take away Destiny from consumers though.

One example that I find would be disturbing. Alan Wake was exclusive to Xbox. If Alan Wake 2 was made exclusive to PlayStation, I don't think that would be a fair move for consumers. Just like Hellblade 2. The original was a PS exclusive, which came over to Xbox at a later date. But now, for a PS consumer to continue the story of Hellblade, they are being forced to spend $500 to buy an Xbox. Just dumb.

SW Hat back on: Thank you Phil!