LMAO Skyrim is freaking terrible!

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Decided to replay the Special Edition and holy shit forgot how bad this game was. The quests which are to be the meat and bones of an open-world RPG are straight up awful.

An example is a quest called The Book of Love. You gotta help lovers confess their love to each other and oh man is it bad. One quest involves an old elven man in love with the Jarl's bodyguard. He cannot bring himself to tell her he has feelings so he has you snooping around for him. You end up taking a letter from some guy who used to be a bard and change it up so it appears it was written by the old elf. You deliver the letter to the object of the elf's desire and she writes you another letter that you gotta deliver to him.

Eventually they meet and it is downright BAD. I cannot stress just how bad it is. It goes something like this:

Calcelmo: Faleen...I

Faleen: Shhh...no need to say any more. I didn't know you were so nuanced.

Calcelmo: I love you.

Faleen: I know. Come here.

Then she goes back to her duties and he goes back to his research lol.

The delivery was deadpan, no emotion, no intonation. Just dead. The quest was laughably short and bad. The writing was the stuff that would make you fail in 2nd grade. You did nothing aside from delivering letters for two grown adults like they were in their 1st year of elementary school.

I wouldn't complain so much if it was the only instance but most quests in Skyrim are every bit as bad. The Witcher 3's writing exposed just how awful this game truly is. It cannot be saved by its combat system, graphics or RPG mechanics either. It's glitchy as hell and many people find it worthless without mods.

It's not just bad. It might just reach the so bad it's good category.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

Yup, game is pure shit

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Juub1990

@charizard1605: Address the content of my post instead. You're free to like it. At least it's good at wasting time and at getting immersed, I'll give it that but the myriads of bugs and other issues really get in the way of the immersion.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

Combat is pure shit

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

The game is fantastic, how Bethesda is milking it is terrible

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

"The Lusty Argonian Maid" redeems it

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Or agree that it has not aged well.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990

@Basinboy: Been around since Morrowind.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By EndofAugust
Member since 2017 • 812 Posts

I enjoyed it, I really couldn't give two shits what you think about it in your blog.

Why do people think that everyone needs to know their opinion about games randomly? If it's being talked about or in some type of related discussion sure, but to just bring it up as the basis of a discussion, why?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

people don't play es for it's story or characters or even the gameplay

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#12 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

I respect that.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Meh, it was ok when it released, my standards were much lower though.

It's just that every Bethesda game is the same damn game every time, with the same bugs, same awful AI, load times to enter a 50 sq ft building, and same fugly character models/ skin textures that look like they were hiding in an outhouse. The only difference is, will you walk around with guns and fight mutants? Or walk around with sword and shield?

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Bethesda is like the Nickelback of Developers.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Garbage game that's completely over rated and Bethesda has milked it to death, and some

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Juub1990

@endofaugust: Why do you keep coming back?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Juub1990

@cainetao11 said:

I respect that.

Likewise.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@cainetao11 said:

I respect that.

Likewise.

Yup. I did enjoy Skyrim. I'm a 44 year old man that started playing games on a Pong console in the 1970s. At this point in my life I have accepted I will not like what others do and vice versa. All good in my hood. Play something you like bro because I have enjoyed conversing with you over the years

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Yep! Fallout 4 is a looot worse though!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c0b07b32bf03
Member since 2014 • 6005 Posts

It was one of my absolute favorite gaming experiences from last gen. I loved it.

**shrugs**

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

Mod it.

JohniImtiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 JohniImtiaz
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

This is very nice and decent post .... You rocked posting it thanks a lot for posting it...!!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

As an action game with RPG elements, I found it to be pretty good. That's pretty much what the game is.

But as an RPG? Yeah, pretty bad.

Still love Skyrim, though; hundreds of hours spent playing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Or agree that it has not aged well.

It really didn't age well. Played the 360 version a couple of weeks ago, and stopped after 30min. Combat really is shit

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58906 Posts

96% metacritic.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

Yep, the dialogue, delivery, story and characters are all just plain awful.

There's a part in the main quest where you encounter another dragon, and you experience some of the worst voice acting you'll ever hear.

Check out that voice acting and goofy stilted dialogue...

Loading Video...

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#27 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I often see comparison's between The Witcher 3 and games like Skyrim. Of course some of the writing in the Witcher games is better, because for one thing the developer doesn't have to think or worry about the main protagonist being anything other than the predefined character, Geralt the Witcher with swords and magic. All of the dialogue and responses to you, as the player, are therefore centred around the lore of that occupation and that central character's reputation. By contrast, Bethesda has to cater to not only different genders and races of the main protagonist, but also juggle what kind of responses people in the world would make dependent on which faction you've chosen, or how the way you've played the game is perceived. I would argue it is much harder to write appropriate responses when dealing with a main character that is so variable and fluid.

That aside, yes, some of the quest dialogue and delivery in Bethesda's games (not just Skyrim) can be cringe-worthy at times, and there are a few examples that can be highlighted, like the one posted by the OP. I also feel that sometimes Bethesda has a great idea but does not go far enough with it to the logical conclusion, or allow appropriate long-lasting consequences to actions. They tend to shy away from that, which is a shame. On the other hand, I've completed many quests in Skyrim where I felt the voice acting and dialogue was just fine, and there are a number of memorable characters as a result of that. I've found many of the quests to be enjoyable, and the faction quest lines in particular were well done. I would also say that at least Bethesda tries to offer a decent variety of questing and some interesting side stories to cater to different play styles.

When it comes to combat and/or how you interact with a game, that is always going to be a matter of personal preference. Some prefer a more rigid approach that focuses more on story, while others prefer more freedom and fluidity of gameplay.

Speaking of personal preference, I've never finished a Witcher game. I've tried many times but always lose interest. Why? Because I dislike the central character Geralt and cannot empathise with him in any way. I don't like the way he looks, the way he speaks, or the fact that you're a Witcher and nothing else. If you want to play a predefined 'role' that's fine, but it's not what I look for in a role playing game. I never finished the game Two Worlds 2 for the same reason. Perhaps it's due to my background playing a lot of D&D games back in the day, and having that freedom of choice regarding race/class/gender. Others will intensely disagree, and that's fine, but personally I've had more actual 'role playing' experiences in Bethesda's games than any other, creating many different characters, each of whom I've played in different ways. I like that freedom of expression through gameplay.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

@endofaugust: Why do you keep coming back?

Because he has no dignity and doesn't care how pathetic it makes himself look.

I never really got into the game but that won't stop me from trying again in VR. Looking kind of forward to it.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

I'm in line with you and the thread that I created a while ago proved how divided ppl are regarding this game

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Everyone if you enjoy skyrim, you have to stop. Some supremely obnoxious internet warrior thinks its shit so in spite of being one of the most popular games in recent times you have to stop liking it now.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Boring and clunky, a total drag.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Exactly what kind of combat do people want? Lighting bolts coming out of a blade or something?

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

Yeah, I have to agree with the OP. Skyrim is highly overrated for the flaws listed. I always thought that Oblivion was a better base game than Skyrim. It had a better story, better character designs, better sound design, and cooler characters. Of course that is just my opinion.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#36 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

I agree, the quests aren't exactly amazing but Skyrim's immense world and with the amount of things you can do, it more than makes up for it. It's not as well written as the Witcher but it'll definitely give you more reasons to go back to play it. Skyrim did just that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

I often see comparison's between The Witcher 3 and games like Skyrim. Of course some of the writing in the Witcher games is better, because for one thing the developer doesn't have to think or worry about the main protagonist being anything other than the predefined character, Geralt the Witcher with swords and magic. All of the dialogue and responses to you, as the player, are therefore centred around the lore of that occupation and that central character's reputation. By contrast, Bethesda has to cater to not only different genders and races of the main protagonist, but also juggle what kind of responses people in the world would make dependent on which faction you've chosen, or how the way you've played the game is perceived. I would argue it is much harder to write appropriate responses when dealing with a main character that is so variable and fluid.

That aside, yes, some of the quest dialogue and delivery in Bethesda's games (not just Skyrim) can be cringe-worthy at times, and there are a few examples that can be highlighted, like the one posted by the OP. I also feel that sometimes Bethesda has a great idea but does not go far enough with it to the logical conclusion, or allow appropriate long-lasting consequences to actions. They tend to shy away from that, which is a shame. On the other hand, I've completed many quests in Skyrim where I felt the voice acting and dialogue was just fine, and there are a number of memorable characters as a result of that. I've found many of the quests to be enjoyable, and the faction quest lines in particular were well done. I would also say that at least Bethesda tries to offer a decent variety of questing and some interesting side stories to cater to different play styles.

When it comes to combat and/or how you interact with a game, that is always going to be a matter of personal preference. Some prefer a more rigid approach that focuses more on story, while others prefer more freedom and fluidity of gameplay.

Speaking of personal preference, I've never finished a Witcher game. I've tried many times but always lose interest. Why? Because I dislike the central character Geralt and cannot empathise with him in any way. I don't like the way he looks, the way he speaks, or the fact that you're a Witcher and nothing else. If you want to play a predefined 'role' that's fine, but it's not what I look for in a role playing game. I never finished the game Two Worlds 2 for the same reason. Perhaps it's due to my background playing a lot of D&D games back in the day, and having that freedom of choice regarding race/class/gender. Others will intensely disagree, and that's fine, but personally I've had more actual 'role playing' experiences in Bethesda's games than any other, creating many different characters, each of whom I've played in different ways. I like that freedom of expression through gameplay.

Well said.

Elder Scrolls games are not about movie-level presentation in an RPG, it's just about being able to do what you want in a fantasy universe, where things like Acting/Animation is not the priority, but the living/breathing setup of the characters and world...

That being said however, BETHESDA have been using an outdated engine for far too long, for a company that has had such high success in both critic and sales, their commitment to improving their production values has been p*ss poor....

I'm really hoping we havn't heard about the next Elder Scrolls because they are finally writing a new engine from scratch or at least heavily modifying to the point where its barely recognisable compared to their previous works.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Juub1990
@MBirdy88 said:

Well said.

Elder Scrolls games are not about movie-level presentation in an RPG, it's just about being able to do what you want in a fantasy universe, where things like Acting/Animation is not the priority, but the living/breathing setup of the characters and world...

That being said however, BETHESDA have been using an outdated engine for far too long, for a company that has had such high success in both critic and sales, their commitment to improving their production values has been p*ss poor....

I'm really hoping we havn't heard about the next Elder Scrolls because they are finally writing a new engine from scratch or at least heavily modifying to the point where its barely recognisable compared to their previous works.

Yep already mentioned that above to. I do give it credit for being very immersive. As you mentioned though, the engine they're using is completely outdated and I believe they're using the same one for Fallout 4. They seem to go for quantity over quality. They could have cut the number of quests in half and polish them more and it would still be a lot of content. Some quests(many) just made me chuckle because they were so bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

Well said.

Yep already mentioned that above to. I do give it credit for being very immersive. As you mentioned though, the engine they're using is completely outdated and I believe they're using the same one for Fallout 4. They seem to go for quantity over quality. They could have cut the number of quests in half and polish them more and it would still be a lot of content. Some quests(many) just made me chuckle because they were so bad.

This wasn't a big issue on PC because of free mods (suppose it isn't on consoles as much now either) but yes... base games are pretty limited.

That being said, even though the first-person combat is clunkly, I love first person games, and the wide variety of actions/paths you can take on elder scrolls will bring me back more than the Witcher 3... or Breath of the Wild or anything else really....

The core gameplay and open nature of the game just gives me more incentive to replay... as apposed to the other 2 examples...

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#40 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Oh no, I hate a game that millions of people enjoy. Better make a thread about it.

-TC Logic.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Oh yeah, parts of that game are straight up garbage. The really fun aspect of those games are the initial wonderment for the exploration.

I still enjoy the heck out of the Elder Scrolls games.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Oh no, I hate a game that millions of people enjoy. Better make a thread about it.

-TC Logic.

Make that "internet logic."

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Look when I played skyrim I didn't go there for the writing which can be atrocious at time. Looks at the Storm cloaks vs the imperials storyline. But the game is fun from the fact that you can just goof around and not miss a thing breeze through the story and just be along your day. It is one of the few games other than GTA that is almost a create your own adventure like game. So when you say it is just terrible it's just bad to you. Other people are going to enjoy it despite your tastes.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

Skyrim=one of the best of all time. I'm sure some people love grotesquely obese people too, but that is the exception rather than the rule (this would be you, op). The general rule is it was a phenomenal game. Especially in terms of just exploring, and doing what you want. I was going to write more just now, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Over a 1000 hours in this game and I will go back once the vr edition releases.

This game is a landmark and like the poster above me mentioned, the arrow to the knee reference was an internet phenomenon. That's how big the game was.

The witcher 3 emphasizes a lot more on cutscenes, dialogue and graphics. So it's only normal it is better at it. But the witcher 3 doesn't have the freedom skyrim has . You can't even sneak, the shooting mechanics (bow and arrow) are way better than anything the witcher has. Everything in your inventory can be picked up seperately. The witcher 3 doesn't have as much content either.

The game is 6 years old in november. The witcher 3 is only 2 years old and it's from another generation.

I don't know what you're trying to achieve here.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

Morrorwind was the last somewhat decent TES. But really, the series only lives by its mods. Standalone t's bad

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Morrowind-------------->Oblivion->>>>>>>Skyrim

The latter two are unplayable without mods. (the real mods, not the scraps that PSN/XBL offer).

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

-TC Logic.

Make that "internet logic."

I consider Skyrim/CoD like the Big Bang Theory or McDonalds of their respective genres.

SUPER popular, but really really shitty and unwatchable/uneatable.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Juub1990

@commander: I like you just glossed over the facts the quests are straight up terrible. Nevermind the endless amount of bugs and outdated visuals. Players basically have to make their own enjoyment out of the game. The core mechanics are too awful to be salvaged.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Juub1990

@demi0227_basic: Oh great an appeal to popularity fallacy.