Lizard Squad: Sony can't even prevent a simple attack.

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

BBC interview with Lizard Squad member. (Listen 8:30) He says that Microsoft have people who know what they are doing so were able to recover from the attacks. But Sony are charging people for PSN but don't upgrade their servers and want to keep the money for themselves. Sony cant even recover from a simple attack. As of now PSN is still mostly down after 2+ days and services are slowly getting back online. This is a disgrace for Sony to charge monthly fees in return for outdated servers and poor service.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Sony just needs to hire better engineers, I could recover from an attack like this for my company in ike a day.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Scipio8: They said in another interview that Sony had the better security...

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Why did you ignore the part where they said XBL was easier to take down, Insipid8?

Thread backfire.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Why did you ignore the part where they said XBL was easier to take down, Insipid8?

Thread backfire.

PSN still down? Lulz

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

Still trying to play First Light, but it keeps giving an error and shutting down. Looked up the error, and it's server related.

PSN store won't stay up either.

Fix your shit, Sony.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

And easier to get back on it's feet, apparently. I really don't give a crap how easy it is to take down, the real issue here is how badly Sony is recovering from this attack.

It's easy to blame Sony's IT dept, but I think that the issue goes way beyond them to the executive level. They clearly have infrastructure issues, and in my experience that usually involves budgetary decisions not to upgrade critical components because of expenses. As usual the IT dept takes the brunt of the blame when they really have no choice but to work with what they have.

Also, what the hell is the deal with their PSN status page being out of date and no one getting out in front of this to explain wtf is going on? At least XBL has a very descriptive status page letting you know exactly is up with the service. Sony needs to step it up A LOT.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GrenadeLauncher

@Scipio8 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Thread backfire.

PSN still down? Lulz

Been up for hours, Insipid8. Disaster Chief Collection working yet?

jessejay420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jessejay420
Member since 2011 • 4091 Posts

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

And easier to get back on it's feet, apparently. I really don't give a crap how easy it is to take down, the real issue here is how badly Sony is recovering from this attack.

It's easy to blame Sony's IT dept, but I think that the issue goes way beyond them to the executive level. They clearly have infrastructure issues, and in my experience that usually involves budgetary decisions not to upgrade critical components because of expenses. As usual the IT dept takes the brunt of the blame when they really have no choice but to work with what they have.

Also, what the hell is the deal with their PSN status page being out of date and no one getting out in front of this to explain wtf is going on? At least XBL has a very descriptive status page letting you know exactly is up with the service. Sony needs to step it up A LOT.

Owned

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Consoles...and people pay for these "services" that are all free on PC.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

PSN sucks just like it always has. I have no idea why we have to pay for it now when it's no different than it was on PS3. Xbox Live is, just as it was the past two gens, leaps and bounds better than PSN.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
@jessejay420 said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Owned

Ouch

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

If these dickheads didn't ddos the services they wouldn't go down, well only on rare occasions.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GrenadeLauncher

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

So why did Insipid8 ignore the fact that XBL was easier to take down then?

Easier = 24 hours, apparently. Nothing to boast about that, matey.

Considering how much of the crap Xbone is dependent on as a selling point (pizza apps - pathetic) it's no surprise it needs to separate it all.

@jessejay420 said:

Owned

@RR360DD said:

Ouch

Disaster Chief Collection working yet, lads?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 heretrix

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Considering how much of the crap Xbone is dependent on as a selling point (pizza apps - pathetic) it's no surprise it needs to separate it all.

Who cares? Certainly not the people who still can't log into PSN.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Poor @GrenadeLauncher

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GrenadeLauncher

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

The losers who go "muh servers" to justify the Xbone should.

@RR360DD said:

Poor @GrenadeLauncher

Yeah, I can see how the Xbone's big game of 2014 being a total disaster could upset you, RR360OD.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By heretrix

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Losers? I bought a PS4 this week and since Christmas I have not been able to reliably log in to PSN. Even though I can play certain games, there are others that I paid for that are unavailable to me. Add the fact that this is probably the most important time of the year for any consumer oriented company, it is highly embarrassing that Sony doesn't have their shit together. The X1 may be shitty, but it is at least shown itself to be able to recover from something like this relatively fast.

You can defend Sony all you want but it doesn't change the fact that they are handling this very poorly. 24 hours may not seem like a long time but during Christmas it's a fucking eternity.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Maybe Lizard squad needs to quit being assholes and attacking.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

You cannot defend their servers, they're garbage. For what they're, they're supposed to be free as they were last gen. Now we're paying a premium but the servers didn't change and the free games given are mostly shitty $5 indie trash.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Losers? I bought a PS4 this week and since Christmas I have not been able to reliably log in to PSN. Even though I can play certain games, there are others that I paid for that are unavailable to me. Add the fact that this is probably the most important time of the year for any consumer oriented company, it is highly embarrassing that Sony doesn't have their shit together. The X1 may be shitty, but it is at least shown itself to be able to recover from something like this relatively fast.

You can defend Sony all you want but it doesn't change the fact that they are handling this very poorly. 24 hours may not seem like a long time but during Christmas it's a fucking eternity.

But does Xbox live have North Korea hacking their servers too?:P

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

@Telekill: No doubt! These guys are the epitome of losers.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GrenadeLauncher

@heretrix said:

"Relatively fast." Big results for dem 300,000 servers I heard so much about.

Only thing I'm doing here is mocking Insipid8 for making yet another shit thread.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

@farrell2k: Well you have to pay for it to access online features. I know I personally don't HAVE to pay for it (if that's what you're getting at) and that's why I currently don't have a subscription. I haven't had any reason to renew it considering TLOU was the last game I bought for PS4 and that was this past summer. Everything else has been PC or Xbox One, where the online service is noticeably better.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

If you knew anything you would know that many security experts are saying it wasn't north Korea that hacked SONY

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2887081/North-Korea-NOT-Sony-hack-according-multiple-security-experts-discredit-FBI-findings-reveal-insider-named-Lena-responsible.html

http://www.securitynewsdesk.com/north-korea-not-responsible-sony-hack/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11314186/Sony-hack-growing-doubts-that-North-Korea-was-responsible.html

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@heretrix said:

"Relatively fast." Big results for dem 300,000 servers I heard so much about.

Only thing I'm doing here is mocking Insipid8 for making yet another shit thread.

Big results? Like not being down for 2 days? The only thing I can say is thank you Microsoft.

MCC is fine since you are deflecting the topic. How is your free copy of 5Club? 1 year late still????

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@aroxx_ab said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

If you knew anything you would know that many security experts are saying it wasn't north Korea that hacked SONY

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2887081/North-Korea-NOT-Sony-hack-according-multiple-security-experts-discredit-FBI-findings-reveal-insider-named-Lena-responsible.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11314186/Sony-hack-growing-doubts-that-North-Korea-was-responsible.html

Oh so those "experts" changed their minds from last week ok fun to know, thx

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Lol look at the dumbasses in system wars arguing who's online is worse. Fact is they both went down. You shouldn't be mad at Sony or MS you should be mad at losers like lizard squad that make companies spend there money on server security as opposed to games. These kids are nothing more then Shit bags.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Look. Sony is working on PS5 as a cloud based service. When it comes up server security and defending against DDOS attacks will be their first priority. When PS5 launches and we're all playing Uncharted 8: Drake's Sequelization in glorious 8k and 120 fps with no DDoS attacks we'll look back on this era and laugh. Trust in Sony. They have a solution, just not for this generation.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 delta3074
@GrenadeLauncher said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@RR360DD said:

Poor @GrenadeLauncher

Yeah, I can see how the Xbone's big game of 2014 being a total disaster could upset you, RR360OD.

'So why did Insipid8 ignore the fact that XBL was easier to take down then?'

Because this is not relevent when talking about how long it takes a company to Recover from such an attack you moron, don't get upset becuase it's obvious, yet again , that XBL has better security and recovery from attacks than PSN.

i am sorry dude but it's pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain and an ounce of common sense that XBL has better security So9ftware, more Servers to offload to when under attack and better online security staff.

You understand that with Azure MS has a TON more servers than SONY to absorb any Damage from a DDOS attack right.

You guys are idiots if you think SONY will EVER be able to recover farm an attack as fast as MS, Microsoft invented the First useable browser for the internet and where doing online gaming before SONY even realized that online gaming existed.

It's called experience mate and MS have mmore experience of online gaming in there little finger than SONY has in there entire company.

I also find it funny that you cows will call MS out over the tiniest little thing yet you defend SONY for using out of date servers and security.

Hypocrites to the last man you cows.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I think the real point is they were big enough D bags to actually take it down.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

yeah, lets blame the victims

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

Lol look at the dumbasses in system wars arguing who's online is worse. Fact is they both went down. You shouldn't be mad at Sony or MS you should be mad at losers like lizard squad that make companies spend there money on server security as opposed to games. These kids are nothing more then Shit bags.

System Wars is a vile and opportunistic place. That's part of what makes it great.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GrenadeLauncher

@delta3074 said:

Yep, just Insipid8 the Dudbox fanboy trying to cover up a bad year for his moribund system.

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Big results? Like not being down for 2 days? The only thing I can say is thank you Microsoft.

MCC is fine since you are deflecting the topic. How is your free copy of 5Club? 1 year late still????

Two days versus one day. Dem 300,000 servers tho, Justin.

"It's fine!!!" Justin wails through gritted teeth as the matchmaking screen grinds on...

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#36 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Down again, really pissing me off.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#37 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

LOL LIZARD SQUAD YOU SO FUNNY.

Honestly don't see the reason for them to do this except act funny and mess up everyone's time and money.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I love how Sony gets attacked there working around the clock to put it right, it's taking longer than they thought, and people are going mad at them, we should be mad at these so called lizard for disrupting our gaming time over christmas, I mean seriously the company it self is on a downward spiral, there doing there best to sort it out.

XBL was attacked to and they say it was easier to get inside there mainframe, what does that tell you?? give them a break, if you know how to fix go fly over there and sort it out, but nope anyone moaning because it's taking to long, are idiots, for 1 these gamers haven't a clue as to whats happened in the mainframe, and 2 probably haven't a clue how to fix it if they were there, they don't just flick a switch and everything goes back, the attack was at sony more than XBL so no wonder it's taking them longer to sort it out.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Did we really need another thread

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By delta3074
@AM-Gamer said:

SONY SHOULD spend more money on there servers and online security though, thats the problem lizard squad are arsholes no question but SONY now charge for online play on PSN so there is no excuse for there generally poor servers and online security

'

'The next round of attack involved the leaking of company passwords that were allegedly found in a file directory bearing the label 'Password.' The files that were compromised included the Social Security Numbers of Sony's 47,000 employees and even of actors such as Sylvester Stallone and Judd Apatow.'

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21714/20141208/ddos-attack-cripples-sony-psn-while-microsoft-deals-with-xbox-live-woes.htm

i am sorry but the social security numbers of Employees and famous actors, thats a pretty bad Breach by anyones standards

Why was the file blatantly named 'passwords' for starters.

online services going down is one thing, people personal information being compromised is something else and far more serious.

All you need i someones social security number to clone there identity.

PSN servers where crippled whereas XBL only suffered reduced services and it wasn't taken down completely unlike PSN.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Sony needs to upgrade their online infrastructure and maybe hire more IT guys. Faith in Sony is at an all time low, and another fiasco like happened last gen where Sony was down for a month and CC info was supposedly compromised would be brutal for them at this point.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By delta3074

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@delta3074 said:

Yep, just Insipid8 the Dudbox fanboy trying to cover up a bad year for his moribund system.

@FoxbatAlpha said:

"It's fine!!!" Justin wails through gritted teeth as the matchmaking screen grinds on...

'Yep, just Insipid8 the Dudbox fanboy trying to cover up a bad year for his moribund system.'-keep sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'la,la,la i am not listening to you you bad man'

PSN got hit harder than XBL, PSN servers where crippled whilst XBL only suffered reduced functionality.

XBL recovered faster and the hackers didn't secure Personal information like sly stallones social security number.

Which ever way you slice it PSN got taken down harder and is taking longer to recover but you keeps being in denial about it sunshine and th hack on SONY was far worse as far as securtiy breaches go because the hackers obtained Passwords and Social securiy numbers for more than 47,000 SONY employees and the social security numbers of some quite famous actors.

Like i said, it's obvious to anyone with half a brain which company has better online security and a better ability to recover from attacks.

Typical Cow tactic, instead of attacking what the user is saying attack the user themselves,lol

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Scipio8: They said in another interview that Sony had the better security...

icu m8

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Haven't checked recently. Not sure if its down in my area.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@Scipio8 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Thread backfire.

PSN still down? Lulz

@heretrix said:

LEM LOGIC - XBL came back up first means it has a better service.

answer is no, hackers were targeting PSN much more than XBL. go read around instead of spreading misinformation.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FoxbatAlpha

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@delta3074 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It happened two days ago ass. If you do the math, one has been down since the start. One is back up and fine. So yeah those 300,000 servers came out on top.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Who cares.? Those who still pay for XBL and can suffer the same fate again,just because MS is able to get up faster because it has a bigger network which ins't only for xbox live but that they can certainly use for it,doesn't mean they are on a better spot than sony,Live has go down already 3 times by attacks so certainly is prone to it just like PSN.

I didn't see this king of fight from you when your 360 RROD and you had to be a month without anything to play online or offline,PSN is down big deal so did live 2 days ago.

@delta3074 said:

Dude all those 2 article do is speculate and the FBI basically never speaks about their investigations or findings in detail they just release crap statements that basically go in circles and lead you no were but most of the times they are spot on when an investigation is on.

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It wasn't fine a few days ago,and the times before were it was attacks fact is this gen both platforms go down from attacks,proving once again that Live is not hack free.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By heretrix

@bezza2011 said:

I love how Sony gets attacked there working around the clock to put it right, it's taking longer than they thought, and people are going mad at them, we should be mad at these so called lizard for disrupting our gaming time over christmas, I mean seriously the company it self is on a downward spiral, there doing there best to sort it out.

XBL was attacked to and they say it was easier to get inside there mainframe, what does that tell you?? give them a break, if you know how to fix go fly over there and sort it out, but nope anyone moaning because it's taking to long, are idiots, for 1 these gamers haven't a clue as to whats happened in the mainframe, and 2 probably haven't a clue how to fix it if they were there, they don't just flick a switch and everything goes back, the attack was at sony more than XBL so no wonder it's taking them longer to sort it out.

Uh, NO.

You should be mad at both Sony and Microsoft for letting their systems be downed by a well telegraphed attack. First of all, they should both know better as both companies have had their systems hacked in one way or another over the years.

As I've said earlier, getting attacked is not the problem here, that's pretty much a given since you are dealing with the internet. You pay for both services in some capacity and they should be protected from extended downtime a lot better than this.Also instead of allowing rampant speculation to run crazy, somebody should be out there alerting the customers as to what's happening- "We are on it" doesn't cut it.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FoxbatAlpha

@tormentos said:

@heretrix said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Who cares.? Those who still pay for XBL and can suffer the same fate again,just because MS is able to get up faster because it has a bigger network which ins't only for xbox live but that they can certainly use for it,doesn't mean they are on a better spot than sony,Live has go down already 3 times by attacks so certainly is prone to it just like PSN.

I didn't see this king of fight from you when your 360 RROD and you had to be a month without anything to play online or offline,PSN is down big deal so did live 2 days ago.

@delta3074 said:

Dude all those 2 article do is speculate and the FBI basically never speaks about their investigations or findings in detail they just release crap statements that basically go in circles and lead you no were but most of the times they are spot on when an investigation is on.

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It wasn't fine a few days ago,and the times before were it was attacks fact is this gen both platforms go down from attacks,proving once again that Live is not hack free.

I thought we determined that a ddos overload is not a hack.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

All pay for online services suck shit. They can all go down, none are immune to a DDOS the only way you can beat a DDOS is to have more server/network capacity then you have attackers.

It's nothing to do with security, nothing is "hacked", the only thing they can do is IP block huge amounts of IP addresses, that's assuming the routers themselves are not overloaded in the first place, you still have to process the request to figure out whether or not to block it.