Like Sony with SFV, would it be okay for MS to fund a sequel and make it exclusive?

• 64 results
ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Like Sony with SFV, would it be okay for MS to fund a sequel and make it exclusive? (56 votes)

Yes 63%
No 14%
Only Sony gets to do that 25%

Think of any old franchise that you wanted a sequel for but never happened.

What if MS funded its sequel and made it exclusive like Sony did with SFV.

For example, what if we receive new details of let's say, Borderlands 3, and find out it was funded from the ground up by MS and is now exclusive. Would that be okay?

And before someone mentions it, im not talking about moneyhatting after the game is revealed for all platforms like RoTR.

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

If the sequel had no chance of being made? Yeah, definitely. As consumers, we can never know unless told so we'll just bitch and whine.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

If M$ funds it, yes, why not? Nintendo did it with Bayonetta.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I voted "only Sony gets to do that"

Sony gets SF5 hardly a whisper.

MS gets 1yr exclusivity to Tomb Raider and the internet (cows) loses its shit.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@i_p_daily: Wasn't it done to give Lems something to play similar to Uncharted, since MS can't manage to make their own game?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

If it justify getting a proper sequel from the first game, then I have no issues whoever founds the game. Just as long as you release it for both console & PC that is and Sony did good by not making SFV console exclusive only and also share it to PC.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

If it is just like SF5, meaning funding the entire thing, sure.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

I don't believe Sony funded the entire project. I think they partially did but I'm not 100% sure

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I guess however unless it’s to make a game that wouldn’t have been made otherwise then I think that a move like that tends to harm the franchise.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ant_17

@kingtito said:
@Ant_17 said:

I don't believe Sony funded the entire project. I think they partially did but I'm not 100% sure

They locked SF "5" for life. That has to be a huge funding.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

Because Xbox was selling so poorly, that taking a traditionally multiplat series that started on Playstation and securing it for Xbox for an undisclosed matter of time came off like a move made from spite. Particularly since it was done to combat Uncharted 4. Which is hilarious in hindsight since Sony just delayed it anyway. MS spent all that money trying to make people envious and Sony just shrugged it off, really. It did nothing to move consoles since MS figured it wasn't worth marketing heavily for the holiday anymore.

SFV didn't meet as much resistance with Sony considering Xbox sells worse than used band-aids in Capcom's home nation, and they were likely in no hurry to make an SFV. Maybe they were in too much of a hurry to release it after it got funded though, but that's another story.

I personally think everyone should get to play the game though.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

despite how I feel, the double standard is a resounding "no"

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

They did it with Tomb Raider. Albeit neither SFV or TR were truly exclusive, both had PC ports.

Personally I think it’s shitty. The best example to use is Bayonetta 2, shame it’s relegated like it is.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

As long as it's on PC and active, do as you please.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Only sony can do that. They can make any game exclusive and everyone will be fine with it.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Ofcause it is ok. MS fund it MS has all the right to make it exclusive as much as other people dislike it.. is MS games because they fund them, just like SFV and Bayonetta .

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

They did with the second Tomb Raider and it nearly ruined the game.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

Lol.. i remember when rise of the tomb raider was like the great game ever. And then it went to PS4 and lems just went .........

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@joshrmeyer said:

@i_p_daily: Wasn't it done to give Lems something to play similar to Uncharted, since MS can't manage to make their own game?

Like how Sony can't produce a great racing game? not one company can make great games in all genres, but you being a cow wouldn't understand that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

Because Xbox was selling so poorly, that taking a traditionally multiplat series that started on Playstation and securing it for Xbox for an undisclosed matter of time came off like a move made from spite. Particularly since it was done to combat Uncharted 4. Which is hilarious in hindsight since Sony just delayed it anyway. MS spent all that money trying to make people envious and Sony just shrugged it off, really. It did nothing to move consoles since MS figured it wasn't worth marketing heavily for the holiday anymore.

SFV didn't meet as much resistance with Sony considering Xbox sells worse than used band-aids in Capcom's home nation, and they were likely in no hurry to make an SFV. Maybe they were in too much of a hurry to release it after it got funded though, but that's another story.

And yet the original Tomb Raider game was released on the Sega Saturn 6 weeks before the PS/PC version, and then Sony signed a deal to keep the franchise off of any other console, so if you're going to talk on the subject get some info before you look like a fool.

Its like I said its only ok for Sony to do it.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

And yet the original Tomb Raider game was released on the Sega Saturn 6 weeks before the PS/PC version, and then Sony signed a deal to keep the franchise off of any other console, so if you're going to talk on the subject get some info before you look like a fool.

They were released at the same time in North America and developed simultaneously, dick nugget. I don't know why the Saturn version was released first in the EU by a month, and I don't care as it's not relevant because it's not like it's a port. The Saturn limped the whole way, making the agreement unnecessary anyway, because it was unlikely to see any more entries developed for it. Which once again stresses the point, if you don't have the units sold, you're gonna get the short end of the stick.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@i_p_daily: Yeah, GT Sport reviewed decent but not great. MS makes Forza, that's it that's great. So one company makes a great game in one genre and one company fails to make a great game in one genre but excels in many other genres.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@joshrmeyer said:

@i_p_daily: Yeah, GT Sport reviewed decent but not great. MS makes Forza, that's it that's great. So one company makes a great game in one genre and one company fails to make a great game in one genre but excels in many other genres.

So what other genres has Sony exceled in this gen?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

They were released at the same time in North America and developed simultaneously, dick nugget. I don't know why the Saturn version was released first in the EU by a month, and I don't care as it's not relevant because it's not like it's a port. The Saturn limped the whole way, making the agreement unnecessary anyway, because it was unlikely to see any more entries developed for it. Which once again stresses the point, if you don't have the units sold, you're gonna get the short end of the stick.

Sorry but NA doesn't equate to the world, and by releasing it earlier means the first version of the game was on a Sega console.

Sony sure seemed to think the "agreement" lol call it what it was and that's a contract signed by both parties to deny access to 2 different console making companies and its customers.

It seems the only dick nugget here is you, but you're a Sony apologist so its the norm for you.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Sorry but NA doesn't equate to the world, and by releasing it earlier means the first version of the game was on a Sega console.

Sony sure seemed to think the "agreement" lol call it what it was and that's a contract signed by both parties to deny access to 2 different console making companies and its customers.

It seems the only dick nugget here is you, but you're a Sony apologist so its the norm for you.

I'm sorry, I thought that was the Xbot motto. But that's only convenient out your habit of defending the losers (takes one to know one). Your narrative is it was born on Saturn now because Sega wasted their money and had it delayed in Europe for a month on Playstation. Never mind that Sega is as dead as disco in the console space now being gone for two and a half generations on top of Saturn having the worst version of the game. You have some true superpowers to stretch straw thin as atoms.

Saturn and Nintendo 64 were losers which made the deal pretty natural. I know I wouldn't have wasted time and effort for a low profile console. Should Sony have done it? No. Because it wasn't even necessary. There was likely more money in taking Sony's deal for Eidos than any hope of making a return on a further Saturn ports.

That had shit all to do with Xbox. But, while we're here, what MS did was the equivalent of what Sega did back in the day in Europe I guess. A useless effort for a brief timed exclusive that did nothing for their failing console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I'm sorry, I thought that was the Xbot motto. But that's only convenient out your habit of defending the losers (takes one to know one). Your narrative is it was born on Saturn now because Sega wasted their money and had it delayed in Europe for a month on Playstation. Never mind that Sega is as dead as disco in the console space now being gone for two and a half generations on top of Saturn having the worst version of the game. You have some true superpowers to stretch straw thin as atoms.

Saturn and Nintendo 64 were losers which made the deal pretty natural. I know I wouldn't have wasted time and effort for a low profile console. Should Sony have done it? No. Because it wasn't even necessary. There was likely more money in taking Sony's deal for Eidos than any hope of making a return on a further Saturn ports.

That had shit all to do with Xbox. But, while we're here, what MS did was the equivalent of what Sega did back in the day in Europe I guess. A useless effort for a brief timed exclusive that did nothing for their failing console.

So you agree the game was first released on the Saturn and that Sony paid money to keep the series it off of other consoles. Those are facts, and i'm not interested in your quack like essay of excuses :)

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

So you agree the game was first released on the Saturn and that Sony paid money to keep the series it off of other consoles. Those are facts, and i'm not interested in your quack like essay of excuses :)

I agree you're as big a loser as the consoles you get behind. I'm just telling you why MS got pissed on for it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@BenjaminBanklin said:

a traditionally multiplat series that started on Playstation

What kind of bullshit is that?

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
@Juub1990 said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

a traditionally multiplat series that started on Playstation

What kind of bullshit is that?

**** you mean what is that? Playstation's always had 'em from the jump and made the series. Bum ass MS thought they could yank the rug out from under PS owners and got owned. This ain't the 360 days anymore. They had to learn their place.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Juub1990

@BenjaminBanklin: It didn’t start on the Playstation lol.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
@Juub1990 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: It didn’t start on the Playstation lol.

Sure it did. Who had the first trilogy on console?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Juub1990

@BenjaminBanklin: That’s not what starting means. Cut the bullshit. It started on the Saturn.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BenjaminBanklin
@Juub1990 said:

@BenjaminBanklin: That’s not what starting means. Cut the bullshit. It started on the Saturn.

Cut the bullshit and stop switching accounts. You can't win this argument. It was released first for Saturn, for less than a month, in Europe. The game was completed for both Saturn and PS1 at the same time. Where are Sega's consoles now?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Juub1990
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Cut the bullshit and stop switching accounts. You can't win this argument. It was released first for Saturn, for less than a month, in Europe. The game was completed for both Saturn and PS1 at the same time. Where are Sega's consoles now?

Glad we came to an agreement.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

@joshrmeyer: I'd say Sony has failed to develop a great shooter too .... Killzone is about the only true shooter I can think of, and that was pretty poor.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7701 Posts
@recloud said:

If M$ funds it, yes, why not? Nintendo did it with Bayonetta.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Yeah, I'm okay with that. It has happened before, and in some situations games did not have funding for development so it turned out to be a good thing. Of course the frustrating part is that a game or series of games that was once readily available regardless of the console is restricted to one console. That's understandably annoying, especially for players who don't own that console but enjoy the series.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

As long as they make it multi-plat like Street Fighter V.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kingtito

@Ant_17 said:
@kingtito said:
@Ant_17 said:

You sure it's for life? Serious question cause from what I understand the funding was partial. Not that it matters to me personally cause I don't play fighting games. I'm just curious

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Yes, why not.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ant_17

@kingtito said:
@Ant_17 said:
@kingtito said:
@Ant_17 said:

You sure it's for life? Serious question cause from what I understand the funding was partial. Not that it matters to me personally cause I don't play fighting games. I'm just curious

Maybe just for this gen, like a 10 year deal.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kingtito

@Ant_17 said:
@kingtito said:
@Ant_17 said:
@kingtito said:
@Ant_17 said:

Maybe just for this gen, like a 10 year deal.

Thanks

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Dead Rising 3

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

They can do whatever they want... but will it be profitable for them? Probably not. Multiplats do not sell well on the Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#45 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Street Fighter is a special case, because it's an unknown fighting game from a small developer. Thanks to God Sony made it possible.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts
@phbz said:

Street Fighter is a special case, because it's an unknown fighting game from a small developer. Thanks to God Sony made it possible.

you can't be serious about that... im sure even if sony didn't fund the game, it would have come out as a multiplat., just not as soon.. it seemed like Sony was trying to get its own competitor for Killer Instinct.

rafaelmsoares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rafaelmsoares
Member since 2018 • 657 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@kingtito said:
@Ant_17 said:

Yeah... but if they funded it 100% I doubt it would ever release on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#48 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@ahmedkhan1994: I was being ironic.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Well I'm sure if MS did it, Sony fannies and some in the media would go apesh*t over it.

But yeah, of course it's OK.

ahmedkhan1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ahmedkhan1994
Member since 2008 • 714 Posts

@phbz: ah sorry.