Like It or Not Wii-U is On Top

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

@comptonst88 said:

compariing the amount of games a console that has almost 2 full years on the market to the new PS and Xbox that have been here for almost 6 full months, yep makes sense. Also, the Wii U is only good for exclusives while PS4 and XBONE are good for both exclusives and multiplats.

Really and exactly how many exclusives might they have on this latest gen 2 or 3 franchises, what would make anyone choose X-1 over PS4 or vice versa, their both interchangeable as far as i'm concerned, not enough exclusives on either one to differentiate one from the other.

Nintendo has never had that problem, they've always had the most exclusives, and enough third party to keep gamers happy.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Sweenix said:

Wii U has been out for a year longer. If you align launches, the PS4/Bone have much better titles

Try harder

Are you combining the PS4/Bone or something?

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Slimmin360

@augustevans said:

Why are ppeople fine with nintendo announcing the ummteenth version of games we've been playing forever?

Oh because there aren't a dozen Call of Duties, or Halo's, God of Wars, Gears of War's, Uncharted's, Forza's, Gran Tursimo's, GTA's................Please, all Nintendo is guilty of is being the first to milk succesful franchises, but they are by no means the last, if it sells extremely well then that franchise will continue on for years and years to come.

I have no doubt that we'll see another 20 sequels to some of the above listed titles over the next 2 decades, Nintendo just did it first.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Slimmin360

@comptonst88 said:

compariing the amount of games a console that has almost 2 full years on the market to the new PS and Xbox that have been here for almost 6 full months, yep makes sense. Also, the Wii U is only good for exclusives while PS4 and XBONE are good for both exclusives and multiplats.

Thats all i ever said was " RIGHT NOW " the Wii-U is the one on top because it has the most games to play at this time, of course a year from now the playing field will be more evened out, but as of now the Wii-U is the system to have as far as a fun variety of great games.....but fanboys started going crazy, as usual, i own a PS4 but it doesn't get touched because there isn't much out there until the end of 2014 beginning of 2015.

However if E3 shows that Nintendo will soon be releasing such new Wii-U games like Zelda, Metroid and Smash Bros, then i believe they will get a massive jump in hardware sales between now and december, because as i said, i just went to get the MarioKart 8 Bundle mere days after it's release and there are none in any stores within a 100 mile radius, so i ordered it......You don't have to be a genius to realize that once again a popular Nintendo 1st party title as given them a massive boost in hardware sales.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#105  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I like my Wii U a lot but let's be real, "on top" is a relative term; Wii U isn't exactly setting the world on fire. The other two are just slow out the gate.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

How long has the WiiU been out OP? Yea

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

It had an extra year head start...it should have a few more exclusives. That being said, I own all three and still only play Mario Kart on the Wii U. I did enjoy ZombiU but beyond that, there hasn't been too much that is so noteworthy to stand above the Xbox One/PS4 exclusives. I still think Dead Rising 3 is one of the top exclusives so far. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic though.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@augustevans said:

Why are ppeople fine with nintendo announcing the ummteenth version of games we've been playing forever?

Because Sony and MS don't do the same thing right? How many Gears games have there been since 2007? How many God of War games have there been? Killzone? Halo? GT? We're on our 4th Uncharted game? CoD and Assassin's Creed are on yearly cycles. But it's ok for those series right?

The difference between Nintendo and other companies is that often times their sequels introduce new concepts that can radically change the way the game is played. Mario Galaxy and Sunshine are vastly different in structure and in concept. Skyward Sword changed the way you control the gameplay in Zelda. Changes that according to most critics were impressive and revolutionary. (MC Galaxy 1 & 2: 97, MC SS: 93)

@ristactionjakso said:

Ya if you like a million Mario games that are all the same and Mario Kart. Zedla is the real reason to get Wii-U but obviously its not out and nobody knows when it will release.

Ps4 and Xbone arent all that old and they already have better games. And ps3/360 have better versions of multiplat games.

Name them...I'll wait.

@comptonst88 said:

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@comptonst88 said:

That's kinda my point, the only reason the WiiU has the most exclusives right now is because it has been on the market long enough for a fair amount to release. Given enough time on the market, the PS4 and XBONE will get their exclusives and then there will be no point in even bringing up the Wii U. Whats funny about all of this is that I will even admit that I love Zelda and Smash Bro, and maybe the occasional Mario Kart but its just not enough to pick up a Wii U any time in the near future.

What are these exclusives you speak of? You mean the ones that won't see the light of day for another year?

Name 5 exclusives that will be out on PS4 and Xbox One in 2014

I'll do the same for Wii U - Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Smash Bros Wii U, X

I named that are confirmed for this year.

I own all 3 of the systems and am an ardent Sony and Microsoft supporter when I feel the need to be, but Microsoft and Sony fanboys continually like to rag on the the Wii U for its sales, hardware power and games. 2 of those I'll accept. And I'll also accept the fact that it'd be foolhardy to pick the Wii U as your primary console due to lack of 3rd party. But I don't play sales and gameplay outweighs graphics by a ton. If you look at what system has the best games to play RIGHT NOW it's clearly the Wii U. How anyone can contest that is beyond me.

As for the "head start" the Wii U had the following games within a year of its release: Mario 3D Worls, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, NSMBU, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Wonderful 101 and Zombi U >> PS4 and Xbox One Lineup by November unless E3 radically changes things.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Slimmin360

@sHaDyCuBe321:

Thank you,,,,Exactly what i'm saying.

sam890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By sam890
Member since 2005 • 1119 Posts

Aww man these Sheep got some balls. What exclusives are you Sheep talking about, Mario, Smash, Zelda & ?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#111 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

So, X1 and Ps4 have the multiplats. WiiU has the exclusives.

PC has the multiplats...

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#112 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

I know personal stories do not count as evidence in a logical argument, but my Wii U cannot even get more play time than my PS3, how is it supposed to be on top of the next gen? Seriously I do not see it. Just personal opinion is all.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Slimmin360

@KungfuKitten said:

@freedomfreak said:

So, X1 and Ps4 have the multiplats. WiiU has the exclusives.

PC has the multiplats...

Lets not drag PC gaming into this, i have no use for it, i'm a console gamer ONLY, i can't stand PC gaming....thats only my opinion, but this is a console discussion.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#114 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

Before fanboys start listing hardware sales quotes, i'm not talking about that......i'm talking.....

GAMES....X1 and PS4 are seriously lacking, the Wii U just hit a huge sales boost with the release of the Wii U Mario Kart bundle, i had to order mine to ship, because all local stores in a 100 mile radius were sold out.

As always every time Nintendo releases a first party title their hardware gets a major sales boost, and as far as i'm concerned, all they have to do at E3 is show game play footage or trailers of a new Zelda, Metroid or Smash Bros and hardware sales will go through the roof again.

What exactly does PS4 and X1 have as major exclusive hits right now? Infamous S.S. and Titanfall ?

Is anyone even still talking about or playing those games.

You guy's have to face it, just as i did, i bought a PS4 too, but there are currently no phenomenal exclusives to play, we're all playing the waiting game until at least October, Nov or 2015, and Nintendo knows this so i'm sure they'll have even more major game announcments at E3.

Sorry X1 and PS4 boys but between their latest software update and exclusives Nintendo has the most to game on right now, which puts them in the lead in my book.

is anyone still talking about pikmin 3 or wonderful 101? nope

super mario bro u? nope

mario kart is great and im happy for ninty but its just like the wii...great first party, really bad third party. its not gonna go anywhere this gen.

asexualrobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115 asexualrobot
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@mattykovax:

Cause the PS3 has 7+ years worth of games? Conversely you could cite PS4 and XBone and their dearth of games to justify them being lousy consoles. It's not logical, and their game lineup will most likely change in the future.

It's really an argument to NOT pick up new, expensive systems at the beginning of the cycle.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Slimmin360

@jsmoke03 said:

@Slimmin360 said:

Before fanboys start listing hardware sales quotes, i'm not talking about that......i'm talking.....

GAMES....X1 and PS4 are seriously lacking, the Wii U just hit a huge sales boost with the release of the Wii U Mario Kart bundle, i had to order mine to ship, because all local stores in a 100 mile radius were sold out.

As always every time Nintendo releases a first party title their hardware gets a major sales boost, and as far as i'm concerned, all they have to do at E3 is show game play footage or trailers of a new Zelda, Metroid or Smash Bros and hardware sales will go through the roof again.

What exactly does PS4 and X1 have as major exclusive hits right now? Infamous S.S. and Titanfall ?

Is anyone even still talking about or playing those games.

You guy's have to face it, just as i did, i bought a PS4 too, but there are currently no phenomenal exclusives to play, we're all playing the waiting game until at least October, Nov or 2015, and Nintendo knows this so i'm sure they'll have even more major game announcments at E3.

Sorry X1 and PS4 boys but between their latest software update and exclusives Nintendo has the most to game on right now, which puts them in the lead in my book.

is anyone still talking about pikmin 3 or wonderful 101? nope

super mario bro u? nope

mario kart is great and im happy for ninty but its just like the wii...great first party, really bad third party. its not gonna go anywhere this gen.

Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 have been out for over a year, thats why no ones really talking about them any more....Infamous S.S. and Titanfall have only been out a couple months and people stopped talking about them after the first two weeks.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts
@KungfuKitten said:

PC has the multiplats...

Also.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Slimmin360

@mattykovax said:

I know personal stories do not count as evidence in a logical argument, but my Wii U cannot even get more play time than my PS3, how is it supposed to be on top of the next gen? Seriously I do not see it. Just personal opinion is all.

Your Wii-U doesn't get more play time than your PS3 because theres like 500 games for PS3 to the Wii-U's 30 games, So why would your Wii-U get more play?

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#119 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

I like the the Wiiu, It's cute. I got one for my 6 year old. I really like the fact that it has those games where the family plays together. Not online, not on system link, but in the same room! I think that is really important to gaming. It's what we all grew up with. Gaming in general needs more of that. We really enjoyed the Mario chase and the one where someone is a Ghost.

I also recently purchase Mario Kart.

But when it comes to REAL games, like a game I'm going to play with grown ups online, Chances are it's going to be a 3rd Party Game, Like EA or Take 2. I sure the hell aint going to play any First Party Nintendo product by myself. Seeing that Nintendo has 0% 3rd Party support, as far as my gaming preference and what I'm looking to get out of my time? Wiiu Is completely irrelevant. For me personally, Nintendo has been completely irrelevant since the N64. That was the last serious game machine they had and it was the 3rd Party games like Rares Golden Eye and Acclaims Wrestling that made that a gaming machine.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#120 hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

I agree, but its a shame the Gamespot staff are being ignorant bums ignoring the Wii U's library and are just boo hooing the sales, yet they are raving the PS4 and Xbone when their current library is %95 last gen ports and arent getting real games until next year.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I love Nintendo and my wii u but ps4 is my primary console this time around. For me Sony supports their console far longer than any of the other competing companies. Nintendo always starts strong but then they go out like a light. Since ps4/x1 are facing so many delays nintendo will definitely win this year, but 2015 or 2016? Not a chance.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#122 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Games? Are you telling me that you sheep are ready for more Mario?

Always ready for Mario

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#123  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

@good_sk8er7 said:

@clyde46 said:

Games? Are you telling me that you sheep are ready for more Mario?

Always ready for Mario

That reminds me

Look around, there is literally no Mario in sight in the future, Smash Bros isnt specifically about Mario and doesnt have his name in the title.

It feels off not having one to look forward to, i expect atleast 1 Mario announcement at E3, maybe a Sports game, maybe the full Mario vs DK game shown back at a Tech demo at GDC for Nintendo's Browser game creator, or maybe, just maybe, not hinging too much but a very low chance, a new full Platforming or RPG Mario.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#124  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@Slimmin360: you hate pc gaming, why hate is such a strong word.

What is there to hate about it.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#125 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@KungfuKitten said:

PC has the multiplats...

Also.

Also PC.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@sam890 said:

Aww man these Sheep got some balls. What exclusives are you Sheep talking about, Mario, Smash, Zelda & ?

The same ones as N64, GC and Wii. And X. I can't wait for that one :D

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#127 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Go ahead and envy me, I'm fun's MVP, I ain't going nowhere, so pick your kart and race me.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By clone01  Online
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@lostrib said:

If I remember correctly, you hyped the OUYA so I can't take anything you say seriously

You can't ever take anything this idiot says seriously.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#130 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I gotta say that Quick Start thing WiiU has is pretty slick.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#131  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts
@ironcreed said:

Indeed, the games are why I picked one up before either the Xbox One or PS4. Then of course there is the fact that it's cheaper, has no bullshit subscriptions for online and has backwards compatibility for all of the great Wii games I missed. It's rare when something exceeds my expectations, but I can say without question that the Wii U with it's funny little name has done just that.

Thank you. This right here expresses all my reasons why I love the system despite what people say about it. Cheaper, no stupid fee to play online, BC, and the games I want to play.

At least Nintendo isnt trying to shove DRM down your throat like Microsoft. Wii U's only problem is overall lack of games, but that is being rectified slowly.

Sure it has yet 'more Mario', but if people are playing that card look at the PS4 and Xbone libraries. How many games on them are not sequels/prequels? All the big systems have hardly any new IP.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#132  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

What if you don't like their exclusives, though? I personally don't want to recreate the experiences I had with the outmoded games of my childhood,

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 sHaDyCuBe321

@donalbane said:

What if you don't like their exclusives, though? I personally don't want to recreate the experiences I had with the outmoded games of my childhood,

I mean really. I don't want to continue reliving the same videogame experiences over and over again. That's why I'll get an Xbox One or a PS4 because every exclusive game on those systems is a fresh experiences that isn't just a carbon copy of a previous IP with a fresh coat of paint.

/sarcasm

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 donalbane

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@donalbane said:

I mean really. I don't want to continue reliving the same videogame experiences over and over again. That's why I'll get an Xbox One or a PS4 because every exclusive game on those systems is a fresh experiences that isn't just a carbon copy of a previous IP with a fresh coat of paint.

/sarcasm

I take your point, but there are people that feel that the venerable Nintendo franchises are still compelling, and there are those who don't. I don't. Not trying to ruin anybody's enjoyment of Nintendo games... I just don't like platformers, cart racers and the like. Don't think less of people who do, but I don't want to play games that, as I said, have been outmoded and supplanted by newer, frankly more personally compelling trends in game design. I have a Wii U and I've never played a console less in my life.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Slimmin360

@thehig1 said:

@Slimmin360: you hate pc gaming, why hate is such a strong word.

What is there to hate about it.

I don't want to get into a debate about this, first of all i'm a MAC guy anyway, i prefer MAC's to PC's, but even if i had a high end PC i wouldn't game on it.

I don't like the mouse/keyboard control scheme, i don't want to take the time to configure or set up a 360 or 3rd party controller, i don't want to worry about system requirments or constant updates, and i don't want to sit in front of a monitor at a computer desk for any length of time, and no i don't want to spend extra money to setup and stream the PC game to my TV.

I want to walk up to my console hit the power button, drop the game in, grab the controller, drop in my recliner in front of my 50 inch plasma and play, all within 20 seconds.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 sHaDyCuBe321

@donalbane said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@donalbane said:

/sarcasm

I take your point, but there are people that feel that the venerable Nintendo franchises are still compelling, and there are those who don't. I don't. Not trying to ruin anybody's enjoyment of Nintendo games... I just don't like platformers, cart racers and the like. Don't think less of people who do, but I don't want to play games that, as I said, have been outmoded and supplanted by newer, frankly more personally compelling trends in game design. I have a Wii U and I've never played a console less in my life.

I understand what you're saying. For me it's just tough to find something like a FPS or a Third-Person adventure game compelling right now since the market is so saturated with those games now. It's interesting that I think Nintendo games are the most refreshing when it comes to game design now because they're developing games in genres that people don't anymore (platformers) and consistently pushing the envelope with new controls and other things they implement in their games.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Slimmin360

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@donalbane said:

/sarcasm

Really? What about all the Call of Duties, Uncharted's, Halo's, God of War's, Gears of War, Ratchet & Clanks, Resident Evil's, Forza's, Gran Turismo's, GTA's, Madden's, MLB The Show........all continuing yearly franchises with a " fresh coat of paint ", to look prettier each year.

As i said earlier in this thread everyone milks a succesful franchise, Nintendo just did it first and therefore they've been doing it the longest, again as i said earlier in this thread, the above titles will have like 10 sequels each in 10 to 20 years as well, no developer dumps a succesful selling franchise if it continues to make money year after year.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#138 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

eh if you say so. I guess I'd buy one before a ps4 or xbone. However I find them all pretty lacking when compared to gaming on PC.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 sHaDyCuBe321

@Slimmin360 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@donalbane said:

/sarcasm

Really? What about all the Call of Duties, Uncharted's, Halo's, God of War's, Gears of War, Ratchet & Clanks, Resident Evil's, Forza's, Gran Turismo's, GTA's, Madden's, MLB The Show........all continuing yearly franchises with a " fresh coat of paint ", to look prettier each year.

As i said earlier in this thread everyone milks a succesful franchise, Nintendo just did it first and therefore they've been doing it the longest, again as i said earlier in this thread, the above titles will have like 10 sequels each in 10 to 20 years as well, no developer dumps a succesful selling franchise if it continues to make money year after year.

"/sarcasm" means I agree with you haha.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#141 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

@donalbane said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@donalbane said:

/sarcasm

Fair play. I suppose what makes me appreciate the system is due to the fact that I drifted away from Nintendo after the N64 and only had a Gamecube and Wii for very short stints before getting rid of them. Like you, I was just burnt out on Mario, Zelda and the like and got swept away by Sony and then Microsoft. But now that I have been through hordes of brown shooters and have climbed over grey mountains of dragon slaying epics, I felt a sudden urge to come back home.

Don't get me wrong, though. I am not abandoning games like that or the new systems. I simply realized that I needed something different. Something that felt pure and arcadey, like the good old days. So I went with my gut and it truly feels like I have been given a cure of sorts. Like I found something that was missing and just realized what it was. Even with a game like Nintendo Land, I felt like a kid in an arcade for the first time in forever. That is all the convincing I needed.

Then of course I have also been going back and playing games like Mario Galaxy and am floored with what I have been missing. It has proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is not the same old stale Mario that I grew weary of all those years ago. The level design is some of the best I have ever seen and the gameplay is like a varied and finely tuned machine that keeps throwing new scenarios at you. What, am I really supposed to be impressed with shit like Knack after playing something like this?

I don't know. I guess after being away for so long, a lot of it is indeed attributed to a case of 'what is old becomes new again.' All I know is that If pure fun that has never lost it's classic sensibilities and masterful game design is supposed to feel old and played out, then I shudder at the thought of hearing how fresh and innovative games like Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Assassin's Creed: Unity are in reviews. Oh, how far we have fallen down the rabbit hole.

But it's not just yearly shitware games like that. Add in the ever increasing push towards microtransactions, games as a service, free to play casino structures, online subscriptions, 50 GB games and a lack of respect for the previous generation due to zero backwards compatibility. Pile all of this up and it's easy to see how it all contributed to pushing me back to Nintendo until I finally reached a breaking point and it just sort of happened. I had to have something that felt more like a good old friendly gaming console to balance the scales and the Wii U delivers that in spades. All in what you are looking for, I guess.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@ironcreed said:

@donalbane said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@donalbane said:

/sarcasm

Fair play. I suppose what makes me appreciate the system is due to the fact that I drifted away from Nintendo after the N64 and only had a Gamecube and Wii for very short stints before getting rid of them. Like you, I was just burnt out on Mario, Zelda and the like and got swept away by Sony and then Microsoft. But now that I have been through hordes of brown shooters and have climbed over grey mountains of dragon slaying epics, I felt a sudden urge to come back home.

Don't get me wrong, though. I am not abandoning games like that or the new systems. I simply realized that I needed something different. Something that felt pure and arcadey, like the good old days. So I went with my gut and it truly feels like I have been given a cure of sorts. Like I found something that was missing and just realized what it was. Even with a game like Nintendo Land, I felt like a kid in an arcade for the first time in forever. That is all the convincing I needed.

Then of course I have also been going back and playing games like Mario Galaxy and am floored with what I have been missing. It has proved to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is not the same old stale Mario that I grew weary of all those years ago. The level design is some of the best I have ever seen and the gameplay is like a varied and finely tuned machine that keeps throwing new scenarios at you. What, am I really supposed to be impressed with shit like Knack after playing something like this?

I don't know. I guess after being away for so long, a lot of it is indeed attributed to a case of 'what is old becomes new again.' All I know is that If pure fun that has never lost it's classic sensibilities and masterful game design is supposed to feel old and played out, then I shudder at the thought of hearing how fresh and innovative games like Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Assassin's Creed: Unity are in reviews. Oh, how far we have fallen down the rabbit hole.

But it's not just yearly shitware games like that. Add in the ever increasing push towards microtransactions, games as a service, free to play casino structures, online subscriptions, 50 GB games and a lack of respect for the previous generation due to zero backwards compatibility. Pile all of this up and it's easy to see how it all contributed to pushing me back to Nintendo until I finally reached a breaking point and it just sort of happened. I had to have something that felt more like a good old friendly gaming console to balance the scales and the Wii U delivers that in spades. All in what you are looking for, I guess.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By donalbane

@ironcreed:

I get what you are saying about, "coming home". I started on Atari, but I really cut my teeth on the Commodore 128 and later the IBM. So for me, home is a PC. I took a long break from PC gaming when the 360, Wii and PS3 came out, and a few years ago I got a new gaming PC and I've really enjoyed revisiting my roots. Games like Day Z are so different than what I can get on consoles, it makes me wonder why I ever took a break. So I get what you're saying, and agree with the sentiment, but have different experiences and therefore different preferences. But I do like to have everything whenever possible, so I can try any exclusive regardless of platform. But lately, I have been playing on PC for the most part, and it's been marvelous. I haven't bought any games for my Wii U since I picked it up almost a year and a half ago. I did get a drawing App that was pretty cool, though, and I did play some WIi games I had laying around, so that was cool.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Slimmin360

@svaubel said:
@ironcreed said:

Indeed, the games are why I picked one up before either the Xbox One or PS4. Then of course there is the fact that it's cheaper, has no bullshit subscriptions for online and has backwards compatibility for all of the great Wii games I missed. It's rare when something exceeds my expectations, but I can say without question that the Wii U with it's funny little name has done just that.

Thank you. This right here expresses all my reasons why I love the system despite what people say about it. Cheaper, no stupid fee to play online, BC, and the games I want to play.

At least Nintendo isnt trying to shove DRM down your throat like Microsoft. Wii U's only problem is overall lack of games, but that is being rectified slowly.

Sure it has yet 'more Mario', but if people are playing that card look at the PS4 and Xbone libraries. How many games on them are not sequels/prequels? All the big systems have hardly any new IP.

Exactly !!! That reminds me of yet another good point with the Wii-U, the backwards compatibility, no online fees, no worries about DRM, and no mandatory game installs which are all HUGE plus's over PS4 and X-1.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Slimmin360

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@donalbane said:

/sarcasm

"/sarcasm" means I agree with you haha.

Point taken, sorry i honestly didn't notice the sarcasm statement, my apologies.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

wii u is out extra year.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#147  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@Slimmin360: You do realize that the Wii U has been out for almost 20 months now right? Of course it has more exclusive games. The main problem with the Wii U is the lack of memory storage and it's $300 price. Drop it down to $200, increase storage to at least 120GB and include 2 bundled games and then I'll take a look. The PS3/Xbox 360 is like $250-$300 with 120GB-500GB of memory and way more exclusive games to play. Come back in a year and then lets see what's on the PS4 & XB1.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 sHaDyCuBe321

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

wii u is out extra year.

Me fail English, that's unpossible.

But seriously, the bs point has been addressed numerous times in this thread.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@blackace said:

The PS3/Xbox 360 is like $250-$300 with 120GB-500GB of memory and way more exclusive games to play.

Yes, this here is why I just can't justify paying hundreds more for a PS4 or Xbone.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Slimmin360

@blackace said:

@Slimmin360: You do realize that the Wii U has been out for almost 20 months now right? Of course it has more exclusive games. The main problem with the Wii U is the last of memory storage and it's $300 price. Drop it down to $200, increase storage to at least 120GB and include 2 bundled games and then I'll take a look. The PS3/Xbox 360 is like $250-$300 with 120GB-500GB of memory and way more exclusive games to play. Come back in a year and then lets see what's on the PS4 & XB1.

Wii-U is capable of up to a 500gb external drive which i already have for it, the PS3 and 360's games are now as much as 6 years old and have been played out, any recent released mutliplats are on X1 or PS4 so that would be the logical choice, All Wii-U games are new not 6 years old and played out.

So comparing the PS3 and 360 to the Wii-U is futile, the Wii-U is capable of better graphics, and it has the expandable Hard Drive via USB or SD slot, and with the backwards compatibility of Wii games, No online fees and no mandatory game installs, it's a much better choice overall.