texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14895 Posts

Another great Life is Strange entry, and may be the best one. It also simply put, breaks Metacritic and review scoring.

While its at an 82 and 83, it doesn't feel like it and it shows, with signs pointing to it being almost the classic if not the classic the first game was, which was also underscored by critics. Really, the critical consensus on the positives makes it a classic, from the character of Alex and Erika Mori's performance (she has to have awards coming), to its handling of heavy topics, to its writing (vastly improved from the first game), the character cast, and its emotional resonance, as well as its setting building.

However, there is no real critical consensus of its faults, and really reviewers actually like things other reviewers don't. For example, the GI reviewer did not like how her powers can be used, while another did not have a problem with it at all, which means they may have played the game differently. This is a rare, but possibly good sign.

Another good sign is that publications who are not so hot on the franchise had very positive reviews, like PC Gamer, and IGN, who missed the boat not even nomination the original for Adventure GOTY in 2015.

Of all the games released this year, I guarantee you, along with the absolute masterful Psychonauts 2, this game will the best most talked about in a good way in the future.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Ghosts will be happy.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

🤔🤢

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Yea, i am very interested to hear @ghosts4ever opinion on this one. Usually this is exactly the kind of games he enjoys and has a lot of experience in, but i haven't heard his take on this one. If you're still playing it, please take your time, ghost.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

Lol who the **** plays these.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#6 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Good on them.

Maybe if this continued to be a commercial and critical success, it will convince other big publishers to take a chance on other niche genres. I'm hoping so, but considering it's been years and that still hasn't panned out, I'm not holding my breath.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Only picking this one up if it receives a Ghosts4ever glowing recommendation

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

Haven't played 2 yet, but the game really needs a new art style. It kind of tries to look "real", but that only works with photorealism. This ain't it, chief.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:

Good on them.

Maybe if this continued to be a commercial and critical success, it will convince other big publishers to take a chance on other niche genres. I'm hoping so, but considering it's been years and that still hasn't panned out, I'm not holding my breath.

And what genre is that?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

And what genre is that?

Which are we talking about here? Life is Strange, which I basically consider to be a modern successor to old narrative-driven point-and-click adventure games? Or other under-represented niche genres I'd like to see, such as RTSs, Heroes of Might & Magic-style TBSs, and combat space shooters like Freespace and Terminal Velocity?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

And what genre is that?

Which are we talking about here? Life is Strange, which I basically consider to be a modern successor to old narrative-driven point-and-click adventure games? Or other under-represented niche genres I'd like to see, such as RTSs, Heroes of Might & Magic-style TBSs, and combat space shooters like Freespace and Terminal Velocity?

Life is Strange.

If you want narrative driven games, Sony does this better than anyone else.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Yea, i am very interested to hear @ghosts4ever opinion on this one. Usually this is exactly the kind of games he enjoys and has a lot of experience in, but i haven't heard his take on this one. If you're still playing it, please take your time, ghost.

When did I praised it? other than I call it I rather play this than last of us.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Life is Strange is one of the greatest adventure games to ever come out. Glad it continues its legacy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Finish your playthrough already. I want your opinion on the matter and possible a Life Is Strange VS Max Payne thread or two.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

According to Ghosts4ever this is the manliest franchise in gaming history.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever  Online

@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Finish your playthrough already. I want your opinion on the matter and possible a Life Is Strange VS Max Payne thread or two.

Apparently this life is strange doesnot have character max so I can compare Max of max payne and life is strange Max.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

Life is Strange.

You missed the "successor to point-and-click adventure" part.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

Life is Strange.

You missed the "successor to point-and-click adventure" part.

I didn't. Point and click was a thing because they weren't able to do what Sony does these days. OG point and click is simply not needed, but you still have em from the likes of Detroit, Heavy Rain, etc.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

I didn't. Point and click was a thing because they weren't able to do what Sony does these days. OG point and click is simply not needed, but you still have em from the likes of Detroit, Heavy Rain, etc.

Sony makes action games. Not all stories can best be told through cinematics in between hacking off people's limbs and blowing zombies' faces off.

And my low opinion of David Cage's writing ability aside, Detroit and Heavy Rain were made by Quantic Dream, an independent studio never owned by Sony.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

Sony makes action games. Not all stories can best be told through cinematics in between hacking off people's limbs and blowing zombies' faces off.

And my low opinion of David Cage's writing ability aside, Detroit and Heavy Rain were made by Quantic Dream, an independent studio never owned by Sony.

Not owned by sony, but surely backed by sony back when they were made. All in all, these games are still being made.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

A game for people who don't like videogames. And Texas is right in there, trying to fine new 'besties' in the badly drawn and atrociously dialogued 'cast'.

It's nice to know some things never change.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

You're just in to hipster chics with knit caps.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 texasgoldrush

@hardwenzen said:
@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

And what genre is that?

Life is Strange.

No it doesn't, and many of those games aren't Sony.

@blueinheaven said:

A game for people who don't like videogames. And Texas is right in there, trying to fine new 'besties' in the badly drawn and atrociously dialogued 'cast'.

Yet the cast, especially Alex is widely praised, even on 6 or 7 out of 10 reviews.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By texasgoldrush
@Maroxad said:

Life is Strange is one of the greatest adventure games to ever come out. Glad it continues its legacy.

I am hearing GOTY talk for it now.

But wow, I am not seeing any critical consensus for its negatives. That is very strange. Contrast this with the first game which all agreed on some of the dialogue and the animations.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

lol

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hardwenzen

@texasgoldrush: Gow, tlou1 and 2, the whole of the uncharted series, to name a few, are owned by Sony and are narrative driven. Or were they supposed to have less gameplay to be in the same category as Life is Strange? Last time i checked, Sony exclusives are movie games, so they should be right up there with Life is Strange kind of experiences.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts
@blueinheaven said:

Well, I'm sure it would be nice for him to finally have a friend.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I like their games but I'm kinda tired to be honest. It's weird because although I enjoyed the first two seasons I have no desire to play this.

If it comes to Game Pass I'll give it a chance.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

These games are hit and miss for me though I'll check it out later, after a sale maybe, or if it comes to Game Pass.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 texasgoldrush

@hardwenzen said:

@texasgoldrush: Gow, tlou1 and 2, the whole of the uncharted series, to name a few, are owned by Sony and are narrative driven. Or were they supposed to have less gameplay to be in the same category as Life is Strange? Last time i checked, Sony exclusives are movie games, so they should be right up there with Life is Strange kind of experiences.

However, they are not LIS kind of experiences. Not many games are Life is Strange kind of experiences.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

Not owned by sony, but surely backed by sony back when they were made. All in all, these games are still being made.

Sony financed and published Quantic Dream's games, but had no creative control over any of them. This distance suits Sony, because it meant any potential risks would fall on QD first, with limited impact to the former. When Sony are actually given creative control, we've seen they only make action games. By the same logic, you should credit QD's games on QD first, Sony second.

And my original point is that I want other under-represented genres to at least get the same treatment as Life is Strange and Quantic Dream games.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 texasgoldrush
Loading Video...

Eurogamer review.....

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hardwenzen
@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

Sony financed and published Quantic Dream's games, but had no creative control over any of them. This distance suits Sony, because it meant any potential risks would fall on QD first, with limited impact to the former. When Sony are actually given creative control, we've seen they only make action games. By the same logic, you should credit QD's games on QD first, Sony second.

And my original point is that I want other under-represented genres to at least get the same treatment as Life is Strange and Quantic Dream games.

I get what you're saying, but from my understanding, the evolution of narrative driven games is what we get from the likes of TLOU2. If you don't like exploding limbs and such, that's fine, but this is the same genre, just evolved over the years. It offers a perfect balance of cinemtics and gameplay, while something like Life is Strange can be too damn slow from the beginning to the end.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

I get what you're saying, but from my understanding, the evolution of narrative driven games is what we get from the likes of TLOU2. If you don't like exploding limbs and such, that's fine, but this is the same genre, just evolved over the years. It offers a perfect balance of cinemtics and gameplay, while something like Life is Strange can be too damn slow from the beginning to the end.

And as I said, the TLOU2 formula works for a story like TLOU2's. Action games is not a universal blueprint for telling every kind of story. There is a place for other formulas for telling stories that wouldn't fit in the TLOU2 model.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@texasgoldrush: "A classic...GotY" 😂 I don't know what drugs you're taking but please, pass that shit around the room!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@madrocketeer said:
@hardwenzen said:

And as I said, the TLOU2 formula works for a story like TLOU2's. Action games is not a universal blueprint for telling every kind of story. There is a place for other formulas for telling stories that wouldn't fit in the TLOU2 model.

Those games wouldn't have any gameplay, tho. If people are already crying about tlou, uc, gow to be "movie" games, imagine what happens if they made these kind of narrative driven games without any action.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

I thought I am going to wait for all episodes to release before purchasing but surprised this time its all in one package. Hmmm, tempted as I absolutely enjoyed LiS and tolerated BtS but I think maybe I will wait for $40. I think its a good price.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By madrocketeer
@hardwenzen said:

Those games wouldn't have any gameplay, tho. If people are already crying about tlou, uc, gow to be "movie" games, imagine what happens if they made these kind of narrative driven games without any action.

Nothing wrong with barebones or formulaic gameplay if you do something interesting with it. And as the commercial success of the series has demonstrated, there is an audience for this type of experience. Even though it's not my cup of tea, I don't judge - in fact I respect it.

I believe I have already made my position on the use of that term fairly clear. I don't take the term "movie games" seriously.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 texasgoldrush

Wow, Gamespot continues the trend of no real critical consensus of the game's faults, criticizing the game for an aspect most other reviewers praise it for.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 texasgoldrush

Best game in the series and if Erika Mori isn't showered with awards for her role as Alex Chen, I would be very shocked.

The narrative is a masterpiece, and it seems that critics missed things when they rushed through the game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ghosts4ever  Online

Only 1 user texas is playing and enjoying this game as no one care about it lol.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Only 1 user texas is playing and enjoying this game as no one care about it lol.

In another thread you said this:

Life is strange is better than any of sony movie crap. thats for sure. thats all I can say.

We all know you secretly love Life is Strange. It's okay, Ghosts. Just make sure you don't go on another gay porn posting spree and suicide this account like you did your last one.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

this game looks like azz

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hardwenzen

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

this game looks like azz

For once i agree with your take, dude.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I want to play it but don't want to spend £50 and it comes to gamepass. Might have to take the plunge it looks quite good.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 texasgoldrush

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

this game looks like azz

Well, its a masterpiece

@robert_sparkes said:

I want to play it but don't want to spend £50 and it comes to gamepass. Might have to take the plunge it looks quite good.

Price does hold it back, but really, if it had to be that price to capture the phenomenal performances, especially Erika Mori as Alex....its worth it. I think the animation upgrades made its production more costly.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@texasgoldrush said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

this game looks like azz

Well, its a masterpiece

How can a masterpiece be a 7/10?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Will play it eventually, not at $60 though. A whole generation of episodic Life Is Strange and Telltale games that were less than half the asking price of this. I know they went with a complete release but these games are all drama. I for most part enjoyed the stories of these games. But at least with the David Cage or Telltale games there was some suspense mixed in. I am not comfortable grabbing it when it releases. And I think $70 releases are already crossing a line I will not partake in, this is an even steeper jump.

I mean, I hope it's the case when I do play it I regret this stance I am taking now. But right now I am just going to pass until there's sales on it.

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#50 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

Might be something I grab in the future, but I don't think I have the attention span or patience for these kind of games these days.