Lets reward our fanbase shall we

• 91 results
#51 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

@i_p_daily: it’s really not a scam or fraud. I mean I can play the alpha right now so I know the game is being made. It’s just no longer the game I thought we were gonna get and it is taking way too long. I know this’ll come out someday I’m just not sure I’ll care anymore once it does drop. I don’t think Chris Roberts is a fraud but I think he set the bar wayyyy too high and now he is taking forever to complete it. I think he has done a poor job overseeing the whole thing and I can’t believe I’m saying this but I now wish there was a publisher with deadlines so maybe he would just decide on which features to focus on and polish those instead of trying to do everything. It’s feature creep hell.

So selling ships for an absolute fortune for an incomplete "game" is not a scam???

Everything about this "game" screams scam, Chris Roberts doesn't even need to make public how the funds are being spent.

Also how do you know it will come out? they indications are not good at all.

#52 Posted by Litchie (24346 posts) -

Not a supporter of this shit. Would probably play SC over any game on Xbox, though.

#53 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@mrbojangles25: Even if the game does eventually come out how is it going to change the industy? Are all developers going rip off their fan base by also,g for money 24/7?

Just look at what they have accomplished and are trying to accomplish:

• Completely independent, half-crowd funded game with the budget of some of the largest AAA games
  • A large cast of not just famous, but talented, actors. We're not talking a token appearance of Patrick Stewart with Sean Bean chiming in here and there, no, we are talking a central core of actors working together for the entire game to establish immersion
  • Incredible game engine being bushed to it's limits.
  • Essentially three games in one; single-player space sim, MMO space sim, first-person shooter.
  • Huge variety of roles to fulfill; pleasure cruises to courier, salvaging to ship carrier, construction yard to science vessel, and everything in between. Yeah, we have all played the cargo pilot and space pirate and asteroid miner in space sims before, but not to this extent and with this amount of specialized ships.
  • Highly detailed ships, ship systems, and ship interiors. I really can't explain it to you, you have to experience it, but seeing a MISC Reclaimer touch down in front of you while you're standing on a planet is breathtaking to say the least. They have everything down right; the sounds of the engines as they flare up right before touchdown, the dust and dirt flying around, the noise of the landing gear touching down. The ship is simply massive and having piloted my freelancer around ,which is pretty large (or so I thought), only to have it dwarfed by this ship (where my Freelancer is the size of one of the landing struts), is just insane.
  • New technologies, new methods of modeling damage, etc.

It will change the industry simply because it will set the new standard for what can be accomplished in a game. Space sims might be a niche genre and not as popular as they used to be, but that doesn't mean one of them can't be an industry leader.

I mean let's look at Half-Life; before HL was released, we had shooters, and they were fun. But they were not particularly amazing. Then HL came out and it set the standard, it moved the bar, for what could be done in shooters and it is still the standard by which shooters are measured to today. Yeah it might be dated, but it is one of those timeless games and other shooters might have done some things better than it but not all things.

Star Citizen will be the next Half-Life, setting the standards for what can be done, and helping players raise their expectations, especially for AAA development, which has been mostly shit for the past few years.

This is of course, as you said, even if the game comes out. I'm not holding my breath, but I am still hopeful. After all they're just games, if you're taking it too serious and waiting on it, you're doing it wrong. Plenty to play in the meantime.

#54 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25509 posts) -
@vaidream45 said:

@mrbojangles25: totally. These ship sales have gotten way out of hand. I’m really not even looking forward to Star Citizen anymore. SQ 42 yes but I don’t like the idea of purchasing these massive ships with real money.

Same here. I paid 60 for the game + SQ42, but I'm really only interested in SQ42. Hopefully it comes out within the next year or 2, or else the engine may end up being a bit dated by then, and the impression just won't be the same.

#55 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@vaidream45 said:

@mrbojangles25: totally. These ship sales have gotten way out of hand. I’m really not even looking forward to Star Citizen anymore. SQ 42 yes but I don’t like the idea of purchasing these massive ships with real money.

Same here. I paid 60 for the game + SQ42, but I'm really only interested in SQ42. Hopefully it comes out within the next year or 2, or else the engine may end up being a bit dated by then, and the impression just won't be the same.

That is a concern of mine, but the thing with Lumberyard (the game engine, which is based on Cry Engine) is that it's already so far ahead of the curve, and they've only been using it for few years (they switched mid-development), and it is easy to scale up.

Honestly, in it's current state, it would still look amazing for five years, even on PC. It's already two generations ahead of consoles, so no worries there.

#56 Posted by foxhound_fox (98037 posts) -

I still don't think this is a "scam" in the traditional sense. I think they are unfocused and ultimately, unable to finish something they start.

They've got a lot of great ideas, but are like dogs, they see a "squirrel" and lose concentration on what they were doing. When someone presents a new concept at the beginning of the week, they drop everything else to start building it and selling it to backers.

I think I spent about $60 of my own money on this game, and had some more spent on me and gifted to me several years ago (probably about 5 at this point). For the $60 I spent, I think I would be happy if I got the racing, hanger and planetary exploration modules along with SQ42 at this point. I just wish they would stop "improving" things and just release a "final" 1.0 version already.

I think the biggest mistake they made was using the CryEngine, instead of just building something from scratch. That's probably eaten up a substantial portion of their funding, since the CE3 isn't a friendly engine for what they wanted to achieve.

#57 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10556 posts) -
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@vaidream45 said:

Its never coming out. ever.

#58 Edited by MirkoS77 (14470 posts) -

This project will be a prime example used in business school as to how NOT do s**t. People always bitch and whine about the great evil of publishers and how they restrict the creative process and are only in it to milk the customers for their own ends, well....I think those two criticisms could very well be applied to RSI at this point. Publishers exist for a good reason, and limitations are enforced for a good reason.

A project with such an immense amount of financial backing needs an entire board of businessmen around it who know what they're doing instead of hundreds of millions of dollars being thrown at one man who arbitrarily dictates from day to day how that money is utilized based on nothing but his own creative predilections that seem to change at a whim. That is f**king insane, and we're witnessing why so. This is going to go on and on.

I personally am, at this point, looking more forward to the inevitable documentary on this developmental train wreck of a "game" than the game itself. I would not wish to be Roberts, because he is a victim of his own incompetence in one area which is being compensated for by his extreme competence in another. But the latter will inevitably collapse under the necessity of the former and it's only a matter of how long the whales will be able to hold him up.

#59 Posted by jg4xchamp (61800 posts) -

Imagine getting scammed by them. Imagine holding such a L

#60 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25509 posts) -
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@vaidream45 said:

Okay, whatever you say.

#61 Posted by VFighter (5242 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: I just don't get the "incredible game engine", yeah technically I'm sure its impressive as he'll but ever video and picture I see of this game its bland and boring looking with slow craps movement. The art direction is crap, which negates anything the technical side has accomplished.

And all the big time actors...waste of money at this time they're there just a bullet point, "hey look at us we got so and so in our game", its not revolutionary its a waste of peoples money. And its not like it hasn't been do,e before, its just they wasted more money then most would have on this aspect. Sorry, I just don't see this as any sort of game changer, just the opposite, a great how not to run a crowd funded game.

#62 Posted by IvanGrozny (924 posts) -

Star Citizen can officially be considered a cult lol

#63 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@vfighter said:

@mrbojangles25: I just don't get the "incredible game engine", yeah technically I'm sure its impressive as he'll but ever video and picture I see of this game its bland and boring looking with slow craps movement. The art direction is crap, which negates anything the technical side has accomplished.

And all the big time actors...waste of money at this time they're there just a bullet point, "hey look at us we got so and so in our game", its not revolutionary its a waste of peoples money. And its not like it hasn't been do,e before, its just they wasted more money then most would have on this aspect. Sorry, I just don't see this as any sort of game changer, just the opposite, a great how not to run a crowd funded game.

Fair enough.

I think the art direction is going more towards believable, more towards sleek and sexy than creative and artistic. The spacecraft are simply gorgeous, even the ugly ones. Whether they're designed to be eyecatching or practical, spacious luxurious interiors or cramped economical quarters, they all look good. While they might not be as "fun" as say, i don't know, an X-Wing and so forth, I think they are suitable for what the subject matter is. I think they took a lot of design cues from modern-era aircraft, whether it's the sleek and powerful F-18 or the ugly-but-overwhelmingly-effective A-10, and so on.

As for bland and boring, keep in mind that the game is still in alpha. It's not polished, things are not even finished, character and ship animations are absent or unfinished. And yet it still looks good.

Concerning actors, I don't know, I think have an excellent cast of actors will lend itself really well to the story telling. In CoD: WWII we had Josh Duhamel voice one of the leaders of the squad and that was cool and all, but it was also a token gesture. Without other quality actors, it just seemed like "Hey look we have Josh Duhamel voicing our game" and that was that. In Star Citizen, you're actually having actors act, using mo-cap performances along with their voice acting. The cutscenes will play out like an actual movie, and a compelling performance will make it all the more immersive.

Celebrity voice actors in games, up until Star Citizen, have been vain attempts to simply sell more units by using star power. In SC, it will actually serve to increase quality, immersion, and story telling.

Let's look at the talent for a second:

• Gary Oldman: if you don't know who this is, I feel sorry for you.
  • Mark Hamill: not the best actor, but hey, it's Luke Skywalker and the voice actor for The Joker, good enough for me.
  • Mark Strong: you might know him from The Kingsman, Shazam, and the Imitation Game.
  • John Rys-Davis: Indiana Jones and Sliders
  • Liam Cunningham: played one of my favorite characters in Game of Thrones, the Onion Knight himself Mr. Davos Seaworth
  • Andy Serkis: Mr Mo-cap himself, this guy is awesome.
  • Gillian Anderson: Agent Scully from X-Files, but also in some great films and shows like Last King of Scotland and The Fall.
  • Ben Medelsohn: great antagonist actor, he played Sorrento in Ready Player One and Orson Krennic in SW: Rogue One.

I don't think it's a waste of money, I think it's simply a star-studded cast like a lot of amazing movies have.

#64 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@vaidream45 said:

Okay, whatever you say.

I don't know why people need to be so spiteful and negative. These are video games! Lighten the hell up and stop raining on peoples' parades.

You don't really lose out on much if it doesn't come out, but you have a lot to gain if it does, so just be positive about it lol.

I mean you wouldn't talk shit about a cute puppy or kitten, right? You wouldn't go "Meh, it will probably shit on your carpet". It probably will shit on your carpet. But you're not going to say that because IT"S AN ADORABLE WITTLE PUPPY OR KITTEN!

#65 Posted by dxmcat (2751 posts) -
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@vaidream45 said:

Okay, whatever you say.

I don't know why people need to be so spiteful and negative. These are video games! Lighten the hell up and stop raining on peoples' parades.

You don't really lose out on much if it doesn't come out, but you have a lot to gain if it does, so just be positive about it lol.

I mean you wouldn't talk shit about a cute puppy or kitten, right? You wouldn't go "Meh, it will probably shit on your carpet". It probably will shit on your carpet. But you're not going to say that because IT"S AN ADORABLE WITTLE PUPPY OR KITTEN!

Uh I dunno about the cute puppy analogy but........... haha.

For all you youngins who werent even around during the wing commander days, the likes of Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, and John Rhys Davies were staples to those games. Precedent had already been set.....many years ago.

#66 Posted by watercrack445 (1843 posts) -

When are they going to file for bankruptcy? Two or three years for now?

Mmmm?

#67 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@dxmcat said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

...For all you youngins who werent even around during the wing commander days, the likes of Mark Hamill, Malcolm McDowell, and John Rhys Davies were staples to those games. Precedent had already been set.....many years ago....

Not to this extent.

Don't get me wrong I love those three actors you listed, but they're not exactly anything special.

And the memories I have of the Wing Commander days is what has me so excited for this all-star cast in Star Citizen. Anyone who remembers those games and how immersive and compelling the story was should be excited for that very reason.

#68 Posted by dxmcat (2751 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Well if its a "successor" why not step things up a notch. He still has some of the original WC cast with some great additions.

#69 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@dxmcat said:

@mrbojangles25: Well if its a "successor" why not step things up a notch. He still has some of the original WC cast with some great additions.

Completely agree!

#70 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@watercrack445 said:

When are they going to file for bankruptcy? Two or three years for now?

Mmmm?

Never!

#71 Posted by VFighter (5242 posts) -

@watercrack445: When the money stops rolling in...aka when the backers realize its a scam.

#72 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@vaidream45 said:

Okay, whatever you say.

You have got to be kidding me right? I mean there are people like THIS guy who will lose over 30k, and there are plenty of others just like him who will also lose a LOT.

You need to wake up and see this "game' for what it is a money spinner, a scam.

As for the kitten and the puppy analogy, I would say it will shit on your carpet because it would, some of us are realist, whereas you seem to have your head in the clouds. Its not about being negative its about calling BS when you see it, and hopefully he doesn't get away with it because he won't be the last if he does.

He needs to be accountable for EVERY last cent.

#73 Posted by Ghosts4ever (10556 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Okay, whatever you say.

You have got to be kidding me right? I mean there are people like THIS guy who will lose over 30k, and there are plenty of others just like him who will also lose a LOT.

As for the kitten and the puppy analogy, I would say it will shit on your carpet because it would, some of us are realist, whereas you seem to have your head in the clouds. Its not about being negative its about calling BS when you see it, and hopefully he doesn't get away with it because he won't be the last if he does.

I could have buy 2 real cars at this money.

people are so stupid to waste 30k$ on just fictional ships

#74 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5203 posts) -

@mrbojangles25:

"In Star Citizen, you're actually having actors act, using mo-cap performances along with their voice acting. The cutscenes will play out like an actual movie, and a compelling performance will make it all the more immersive."

Motion capture acting dates as far back as Silent Hill 2 and then some. The fact that these are famous actors only makes the idea of their performance sound skeptical. This is uncharted territory for most of them. So who knows if they'll even deliver Oscar Award winning performances? Especially considering the material they have to work with. I've seen plenty of great actors in bad movies.

#75 Edited by DaVillain- (38139 posts) -

It's become very clear to me that, people here don't know the definition of "Scam" what it really means.

I pay $250 for the Aegis ship years ago with my Credit Card and trust me, if this was really a scam, my Credit Card company will act swift making sure I get my money back. Either way, I win. The point is, I'm still getting updates from Roberts Industry and really, you do not need to pay top dollars for a ship, just pay $50 to access the alpha and nothing more. Buying ships are just a bonus to get ahead start whenever the full game releases.

When backing up a kickstarter, use common sense!

#76 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@davillain- said:

It's become very clear to me that, people here don't know the definition of "Scam" what it really means.

I pay $250 for the Aegis ship years ago with my Credit Card and trust me, if this was really a scam, my Credit Card company will act swift making sure I get my money back. Either way, I win. The point is, I'm still getting updates from Roberts Industry and really, you do not need to pay top dollars for a ship, just pay $50 to access the alpha and nothing more. Buying ships are just a bonus to get ahead start whenever the full game releases.

You can't say use common sense when you spent $250 on a fictional ship, just admit it you got scammed.

And your money is long gone lol.

#77 Edited by DaVillain- (38139 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:
@davillain- said:

You can't say use common sense when you spent $250 on a fictional ship, just admit it you got scammed.

And your money is long gone lol.

Sooooo, how am I'm being scam again? I haven't gotten a phone call from my credit company as far as I'm ware of.

Edit: I should have mention this in my early post but I really back for Squadron 42 alone, Star Citizen to me is and has always been a bonus cause it's a MMO but other then that, SQ42 is the real prize.

#78 Posted by jg4xchamp (61800 posts) -

“I didn’t get scammed, because I spent 250 on a video game ship” lol okay, you got scammed, fleeced, hoodwinked, bamboozled, led astray, flat out deceived, and lied to.

Goon sold you shit he couldn’t deliver on and has been fleecing people for more money on top of that. You got played. Hold that.

#79 Posted by onesiphorus (2945 posts) -

If Star Citizen is a scam, why no one has sued the developer yet?

#80 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@mrbojangles25:

"In Star Citizen, you're actually having actors act, using mo-cap performances along with their voice acting. The cutscenes will play out like an actual movie, and a compelling performance will make it all the more immersive."

Motion capture acting dates as far back as Silent Hill 2 and then some. The fact that these are famous actors only makes the idea of their performance sound skeptical. This is uncharted territory for most of them. So who knows if they'll even deliver Oscar Award winning performances? Especially considering the material they have to work with. I've seen plenty of great actors in bad movies.

Fair enough. If you want to be a cynic, that's your prerogative.

These are games, I prefer to be optimistic.

#81 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Okay, whatever you say.

The game is still in development, the money is still being used to develop a game and pay workers' salaries.

Not really sure what you mean. Anyone that invested knows (or should have known) that this would be a long-term passion project in a sense.

As for the people that dumped 30k, that's their fault. I mean I agree with you that's pretty outrageous but a fool and his money are soon parted as they say.

#83 Edited by DaVillain- (38139 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Okay, whatever you say.

The game is still in development, the money is still being used to develop a game and pay workers' salaries.

Not really sure what you mean. Anyone that invested knows (or should have known) that this would be a long-term passion project in a sense.

As for the people that dumped 30k, that's their fault. I mean I agree with you that's pretty outrageous but a fool and his money are soon parted as they say.

And it's like I told Daily, if you know exactly what this kickstarter is all about, you either wanna buy a ship or just simply pay the minimum wages to access SC alpha. You seriously don't to buy a ship unless you either A-got money to spend or B-wanna get ahead start whenever the full game releases. This isn't hard to figure out what you want to do. I do agree no one shouldn't be spending that much money over ships but hey, it's your money, use it when you need it. And of course, few people here don't get the difference between a personal spending choices and public funds/policy. We're not having that argument either.

#84 Posted by Evil_Loli (208 posts) -

I always did say Star Citizen is the Holy Grail for PC gamers and even though I just have a laptop, I cannot run it. PC gamers are so lucky they have the Holy Grail in their grasp.

#85 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5203 posts) -

@mrbojangles25:

I'm sorry! I didn't mean to sound cynical, I was just saying that actors are only as good as the material they have to work with. I can't say that I know what you're going through by supporting SC but I know what it's like to hope for something good. So....yeah...I can come across as a bițch sometimes.

#86 Posted by sovkhan (1281 posts) -

@davillain-:

Good for you mate. Did not tried it yet.

#87 Posted by mazuiface (932 posts) -

Wasn't this game supposed to be finished like 5 years ago? I guess they made more money by not releasing a final version - kinda like Fortnite.

#88 Posted by watercrack445 (1843 posts) -
@vfighter said:

@watercrack445: When the money stops rolling in...aka when the backers realize its a scam.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Never!

So much money and time potentially wasted on a game that might never release. tsk tsk tsk

#89 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Okay, whatever you say.

And it's like I told Daily, if you know exactly what this kickstarter is all about, you either wanna buy a ship or just simply pay the minimum wages to access SC alpha. You seriously don't to buy a ship unless you either A-got money to spend or B-wanna get ahead start whenever the full game releases. This isn't hard to figure out what you want to do. I do agree no one shouldn't be spending that much money over ships but hey, it's your money, use it when you need it. And of course, few people here don't get the difference between a personal spending choices and public funds/policy. We're not having that argument either.

You guys got scammed, but you'll never admit it because it will hurt your precious little ego's, but deep down inside you know, and more importantly we know :)

If you didn't get scammed then tell me when's the release date of SC? maybe they will announce it at citizencon, I mean come the **** on its so obvious, and it brings me much joy :)

#90 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@evil_loli said:

I always did say Star Citizen is the Holy Grail for PC gamers and even though I just have a laptop, I cannot run it. PC gamers are so lucky they have the Holy Grail in their grasp.

I love the sarcasm lol.

#91 Posted by Evil_Loli (208 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@evil_loli said:

I love the sarcasm lol.

;)

#92 Posted by DaVillain- (38139 posts) -

@evil_loli said:

I thought that was Divinity Original Sins 2? Yeah, I'm sure it was.