deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

We've all marvelled at Nintendo and Crash's remarkable comeback this year, and both of those deserve credit, sure- but what not many are paying attention to is the Sega Rennaisance we all seem to have quietly entered this year too.

Sega have been on fire. Sega have been putting out some of the best games of the year, quietly and in the background. And amazingly, they seem to be showing no signs of slowing down either.

• Yakuza 0 (PS4)
  • Persona 5 (PS4)
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4, Switch)
  • Sonic Mania (PS4, Switch, Xbox One, PC)

It's been a great lineup- and they have more games coming up, with Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza 6, Sonic Forces, Football Manager 2018, Shin Megami Tensei V, and more.

Of course, they've had some misfires, Too- Valkyria Revolution was a mess, and Dawn of War 3, by all accounts, is a bomb. Sega Forever appears to have had a poor launch, too- but all said and done, Sega has done remarkably well this year, and I think we should give them credit for the turnaround they have managed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

You forgot to mention that they also published Bayonetta and Vanquish on PC this year. Not just that, but they have expressed interest in bringing Persona and Yakuza to the PC also.

They have become a wonderful publisher and they are finding their feet in terms of their development teams also. It was the Sonic Team behind Puyo Puyo Tetris.

They are having a wonderful year and hopefully their success continues.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7693 Posts

Total War Warhammer 2 on the way as well, times been good for Sega definitely with only few misses

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Everyone's talking about Sonic Mania, I want to hear more about this Sega Mania I've heard about around here.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22544 Posts

Sonic Mania is pretty awesome, I can't deny...I've never played a Sonic game I liked until this one. Hope they can keep making good decisions!

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

It's probably due to Haruki Satomi, because it's been good times ever since he became CEO. SEGA also bought all of Technosoft's IP's last year, and as a big Thunder Force and Herzog Zwei fan, that makes me super excited since those games should be getting re-releases, if not possible sequels, in the future.

Aaron Webber, media coordinator at SEGA of America, deserves a ton of credit too, especially in how he's helped turned around Sonic's image.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

They are a solid publisher who hold some pretty cool ips under their belt, but they are a far cry from some of the exceptional stuff they used to produce. Plus little to no new ip in that roster.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: The social media stuff for Sonic is just the best.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Renegade_Fury

@jumpaction: and that all started after Sonic Boom came out, so they literally had nothing going for them to build off from.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58642 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Total War Warhammer 2 on the way as well, times been good for Sega definitely with only few misses

Console gamers tend to overlook this. If you glace at the Steam top sellers now 3 of 10 are Sega published.

Championship Manager and Total War do the business for Sega. In the UK, Championship Manager is huge, people who otherwise have no interest in pc gaming sign up to play it.

The main issue I have with them is ip's like space harrier, Golden Axe, Streets Of Rage, Alex The Kidd and Shinobi are all but forgotten to the modern gamer, and they have little interest of making them relevant again.

Sonic Mania seems a step in the right direction.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@uninspiredcup: There are Streets of Rage and Shinobi references in Sonic Mania, so maybe we can get a Mania version of them in the future. Though in SoR's case, I don't think it's possible to top Remake V5 since that basically was the equivalent of Sonic Mania for that franchise.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5552 Posts

They have easy wins on the Switch by porting Bayonetta 1 and 2.

Also I wonder if Nintendo is not allowing them to put theit classic content on the switch without the virtual console launch... but i would buy a Phantasy Star collection in a heartbeat.

And I'm still waiting for PSO2 to get a western release. Big fan of the series and Sega in general. While I haven't bought Sonic Mania yet, look forward to scooping it up for my vacation.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Its just a bunch of rehashing though. We need innovation from SEGA, thats what they were known for.

EndofAugust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 EndofAugust
Member since 2017 • 812 Posts

I'll just throw out the obvious.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#15  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Great Publisher. Spent alot of time and money on their games they have been involved in this year. And I havent even touched Sonic or Persona 5. I already pre-purchased Sonic Mania.

There's more to that, too. The Quality Bayo + Vanquish ports that have been mentioned. Total War: Warhammer got a nice update recently, the game has been getting some great support with a pretty cool approach to post release content/DLC (everyone benefits from a DLC release, even if you dont buy the thing - they get added to the Old World map).

They picked up Amplitude Studios and published Endless Space 2. Launched the first installment of Motorsport Manager late last year. Both have been received fairly well.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

Man Sega has always been my favorite even through the misfires. Was sad when they got out of hardware. :( No one else fills that void.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

For Streets of rage they should hire the team that made that unofficial remake to make SOR Mania.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

They've been making some good games here and there for years, but I refuse to see them as turning over a new leaf until they show they're committed to following up on their successes.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

If only someone took over konami with a similar eye to actually remembering they are a games company.

Sega's fortunes have been turned around merely by listening to the gamers.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

SEGA = DREAMCAST = nuff said.

To me SEGA will always have a special place in my heart as a gamer either because of arcades and/or Dreamcast console.

I really like Sega even if they messing things up from time to time. Now all i want is Vanquish 2 ( technically platinum but whatever ) and a new Jet Set radio. Bayonetta 2 for PC and Sonic Mania 2.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44938 Posts

I agree, TC. I made a similar thread not too long ago with the same sentiment,

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Sega is a very solid publisher tho i only came here to say that you forgot about Valkyria Revolution!... sigh

I actually played and finished this game, while it has flaws in regards to gameplay but the story was really good i enjoyed it a lot.

2017 has been an RPG year for me i been playing nothing but RPG's this year, one game after another going through my backlog but yes Sega has always been a good publisher for me and i tend to not miss out on the games they release

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#24 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

@dorog1995 said:

For Streets of rage they should hire the team that made that unofficial remake to make SOR Mania.

What do you think of this?

https://twitter.com/Shyning77/status/897872684796739584

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5233 Posts

@AzatiS said:

Bayonetta 2 for PC and Sonic Mania 2.

Nintendo has the rights to Bayonetta 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Sonic Mania has given me a taste for some classic SEGA action like Afterburner, Outrun etc.

Such a shame the Mini Mega drive is dog shit by all accounts.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@onesiphorus said:
@AzatiS said:

Bayonetta 2 for PC and Sonic Mania 2.

Nintendo has the rights to Bayonetta 2.

I know just saying

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Yakuza and the fact they were smart enough to buy ATLUS made them one of the GOATS.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

You guys seem surprised at SEGA being a good game publisher but they have been just that for a long, long time now.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Man Sega has always been my favorite even through the misfires. Was sad when they got out of hardware. :( No one else fills that void.

EA killed the Dreamcast, which I still own : (

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

I'm aware of this, and I just wanna say I bought Sonic Mania recently along with finally buying a Nintendo Switch.

Sonic Mania is definitely a testimony where nostalgia wins, I don't think anyone should fuss about the nostalgic bids when the series has alienated its fan base for so many years with all that mediocre garbage its 3D attempts ended up being. It reminds me why Sonic was amazing in the first place.

I must say, the original Sonic the Hedgehog games on the Sega Genesis were pretty much the first video games I ever played when I was a kid. I played on Sega before I ever played on Nintendo, and Sonic was one of the first things to ever captivate me. I couldn't be happier with just how much this new title hits home to how captivated I was way back then, and I'm reminded why Sonic is one of the great platformers out there.

Anyway, Sega has been on top of their game over the last few years, I'd beg to say. I think part of what they're doing is also developing good relationships among other companies in the industry, including their once rivals Nintendo. Sonic Mania was them reaching out to their fans, even. I think that's the magic they've grasped on - good relations - that's bringing them back with highly respectable results.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@draign said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yeah I know. I still have all my Sega consoles. And I still hold a grudge against EA....:p

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

They've been extremely supportive of the XOne BC program, I buy almost all of their games, just got Toe Jam and Earl recently. I've always been a fan of their series such as Golden Axe. Sonic Mania is well put together enjoying it so far. Nice to see them have success with their other PS4 exclusives as well. SEGA is one of my favorite gaming companies and I'm glad they are still active today.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#34  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19375 Posts

Another aspect of Sega overlooked here in the West is their strong Japanese arcade output:

SEGA Retrospective: The Deeper Arcade game – An oxymoron that became one of SEGA’s pillars

For more than a decade, Sega has consistently been developing quality arcade games for the domestic Japanese market. But most of these Sega arcade games have never seen the light of day in the West, where there isn't a strong enough arcade market anymore.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@Jag85: Lack of innovative games killed the arcades. There was no reason to go, you could have a more fun experience at home.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@draign said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yeah I know. I still have all my Sega consoles. And I still hold a grudge against EA....:p

This is one of the main reasons I rolled with Xbox over Sony initially. Im beyond that now but Im still upset over the Madden NFL license.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5233 Posts

@iandizion713 said:

@Jag85: Lack of innovative games killed the arcades. There was no reason to go, you could have a more fun experience at home.

When I noticed when home consoles and PCs are beginning to produce graphics at par or better than what is seen on arcades, then I realized they are becoming a dying breed in the West. Not only that, but most of the arcade games I see in public are over thirty years old.

Interesting, this trend does not apply to movie theaters even with the wide availability of first VHS, then DVD, then Blu-Ray and now online streaming services like Netflix.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea, lets just ignore Company of Heroes and Total War which have been keeping that shit stain of a company afloat for years.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

@iandizion713 said:

It wasn't a lack of innovation but the fact that not having to wait in line and feed quarters to a machine made gaming easier and more comfortable. Many of the early games were arcade games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jag85

@onesiphorus: @iandizion713:

The article posted above shows a side of arcade history, and Sega history, that is unknown to most Western gamers, even most of those who are fans of Sega and arcades.

After arcades died in the West, around the time the Dreamcast died, Sega survived in the post-Dreamcast years by beginning an arcade renaissance in Japan, where they released a number of innovative arcade games that helped save the Japanese arcade industry. This is what kept Sega alive for so long, with arcades bringing in more profits than consoles.

Since then, Sega has been releasing a steady stream of unique and experimental games for the arcades, just like in their golden age. But it's rare to see their post-Dreamcast arcade games in the West, because the arcade market here died out a long time ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I just want another Sega console. I can't remember the last Sega game I bought :(

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GameboyTroy

@i_p_daily said:

I just want another Sega console. I can't remember the last Sega game I bought :(

I want Sega to make consoles again. This gen would've been a great time for them to start making consoles again.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8360 Posts

@GameboyTroy: that would be pretty interesting if they got back into the console game; furthermore, Sega would have been way more interesting and fun competition for Nintendo that I honestly believe would stimulate both of them.

I don't blame Nintendo for opting out on competing with Sony or Microsoft. I think they took the fun out of the ways of competition to flourish the industry as much as I'm convinced Sony is out there for world domination.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@onesiphorus: I think that's because you still can't 100% get that movie theater experience at home (unless you're really loaded). You'd need a massive screen, amazing projector, a slamming surround sound system etc.

We're as with an arcade game we've surpassed them a while ago with home equipment. We now usually get on much bigger and better quality screens, with powerful consoles/PCs and better sound if you have a sound bar or surround set up. Not to mention the games have gone way past what you could play in arcades, longer, more involved, we're as with a movie content Wise it's the same either way, the home experience isn't a deeper/better movie.

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

Sega could still be doing much better, if they gave me a Shenmue 1 & 2 HD remaster and a PSO2 western release. I'd be pretty satisfied.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jag85

@vfighter said:

@onesiphorus: I think that's because you still can't 100% get that movie theater experience at home (unless you're really loaded). You'd need a massive screen, amazing projector, a slamming surround sound system etc.

We're as with an arcade game we've surpassed them a while ago with home equipment. We now usually get on much bigger and better quality screens, with powerful consoles/PCs and better sound if you have a sound bar or surround set up. Not to mention the games have gone way past what you could play in arcades, longer, more involved, we're as with a movie content Wise it's the same either way, the home experience isn't a deeper/better movie.

There are many things that arcades do which homes can't replicate. Like this article posted above shows, or Bunnyhop's video shows, there are all kinds of unique and experimental controls, interfaces, cabinets and technologies in the arcades that you can't replicate at home.

Take, for example, racing games. In the arcades, with Sega arcade racers like OutRun 2 SP SDX or the Initial D series, you're driving around in cabinets that resemble cars, which shake and move about to match your movements, providing a level of immersion you can't get in homes. Or take VR, for example. Arcades were doing VR since the '90s, like the classic Sega VR machines, decades before VR came to homes. And arcades still do VR better today, like Namco's Project I Can, where you have large play areas and setups that you can't replicate in your bedroom or living room.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

They also gave us a good Alien game.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GameboyTroy

@endofaugust said:

I'll just throw out the obvious.

He had the right idea at the right time. 2014 was a letdown. This video has been translated.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@howmakewood said:

Console gamers tend to overlook this. If you glace at the Steam top sellers now 3 of 10 are Sega published.

Championship Manager and Total War do the business for Sega. In the UK, Championship Manager is huge, people who otherwise have no interest in pc gaming sign up to play it.

The main issue I have with them is ip's like space harrier, Golden Axe, Streets Of Rage, Alex The Kidd and Shinobi are all but forgotten to the modern gamer, and they have little interest of making them relevant again.

Sonic Mania seems a step in the right direction.

Just to be clear, its football manager sega own. Championship manager devs split and became football manager and championship manager continued and was bloody awful (not sure if championship manager is still even a thing).

TuMekeNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TuMekeNZ
Member since 2016 • 149 Posts

I was always more a fan of Sega over Nintendo even though I owned both consoles. If Sega got back into hardware I would be there day 1 throwing my wallet.

One of the best things about BC on X1 is I have access to pretty much all the classic Sega games.