Let's be honest, is 1tb enough storage for a console release in 2020?

• 57 results
arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Storage will not be a problem for me because I no longer buy many games anymore. I will maybe buy 5 games total in the next 6 years. But, for most people, they play more games than I do. 1tb is easy to fill even this generation. I have 7 games for my Xbox One X and the 1tb HDD is full. Games are getting huge, some upwards of around 100 to 200gb. This is clearly the one glaring weakness of the next gen hardware, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait for the redesigns which we all know will have at the very least 2tb of internal storage. These $200+ proprietary SSD add-on storage will basically be needed for many people, so factor that in.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

As long as I can install 2 or 3 games at once I'm good. I really just need 1 SP and 1 MP game at a time.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Deleting games when they're not being played is a thing.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 arkephonic

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

As long as I can install 2 or 3 games at once I'm good. I really just need 1 SP and 1 MP game at a time.

@briguyb13 said:

Deleting games when they're not being played is a thing.

This makes PC gaming look more attractive than ever.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Well if you want a competent system at $500 or less then you’re going to need to cut costs somewhere. Storage space is probably the best place to cut those costs.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

For solely games... Sure. Unless you have shite internet, which is a reasonable concern. If you're flip-flopping 5-6 next-gen games on the fly, then you'll likely be screwed, but is that truly realistic?

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9123 Posts

not if you want to play CoD. i swear, the last one is taking up like 100's of gigs of space. it's stupid

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By arkephonic

I'd say these storage limitations make PC gaming advantageous over consoles even more than any generation before it. PC gaming is clearly the way to go now, because not even the most expensive consoles released this next generation are competent. I really wish they would have released a 3rd model which is a few hundred dollars more expensive for people who want a real console.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

They shoulda made a 2TB model of PS5/X-Series X for like 100 bux more or something like phones have.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

Yes it is enough.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 arkephonic

@lundy86_4 said:

For solely games... Sure. Unless you have shite internet, which is a reasonable concern. If you're flip-flopping 5-6 next-gen games on the fly, then you'll likely be screwed, but is that truly realistic?

I like having all my games installed at once. Sometimes I just wanna play a game in my library impulsively. The idea of having to download it and its updates will easily deter me from wanting to even turn the system on.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Other than storage space, my concern is whether the devices will last for many years to come and not suddenly stop working due to poor manufacturing or design. I also welcome that newer devices are solid-state so I would not be concerned over movable parts which often shorten the life of harddrives. Think of the life of VHS tapes and audio cassettes.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 arkephonic

@ProtossRushX said:

They shoulda made a 2TB model of PS5/X-Series X for like 100 bux more or something like phones have.

Yes, exactly.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

@arkephonic: Then buy some more storage space so you can have a “real console”. Problem solved. 🤷‍♂️

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lundy86_4

@arkephonic said:

I like having all my games installed at once. Sometimes I just wanna play a game in my library impulsively. The idea of having to download it and its updates will easily deter me from wanting to even turn the system on.

I definitely understand, but even given my vast HDD space, I don't download all my PC games. If you need multitudes of games installed, it's gonna suck... I can't see the majority of consumers needing to play multiple games consecutively.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44551 Posts

Considering it's an SSD, it would just get a lot more expensive. People can upgrade storage for their needs. I would like to see how well rotating games around from an external HDD does, if it's not bad I would just buy a a large one and rotate the games I am playing to the SSD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-60bf765068a74

People think that transferring games from one hard drive to other is quick and fast?

I never do that on PC. Transferring large 100gb games from one drive to another is gonna take awhile. Not as long as downloading but its still slow and not user friendly.

Nobody is gonna do this there gonna just delete and re-download games. This is terrible this is why I have 8 Terabyte drive on my PC, I never swap I never delete everything is just there and can be played console guys you suck dudes.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 arkephonic

This is something that literally inconveniences me so much that I will literally only buy about 5 games this generation because of it. If I was given the option to buy like a 5tb console, I'd buy lots more games. I don't even like the idea of transferring games from an external drive to the internal drive, sounds tedious. I think this storage situation sucks.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 arkephonic

@ProtossRushX said:

People think that transferring games from one hard drive to other is quick and fast?

I never do that on PC. Transferring large 100gb games from one drive to another is gonna take awhile. Not as long as downloading but its still slow and not user friendly.

Nobody is gonna do this there gonna just delete and re-download games. This is terrible this is why I have 8 Terabyte drive on my PC, I never swap I never delete everything is just there and can be played console guys you suck dudes.

You know exactly what you are talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@arkephonic said:
@ProtossRushX said:

You know exactly what you are talking about.

Thank ya man

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lundy86_4

@arkephonic said:

This is something that literally inconveniences me so much that I will literally only buy about 5 games this generation because of it. If I was given the option to buy like a 5tb console, I'd buy lots more games. I don't even like the idea of transferring games from an external drive to the internal drive, sounds tedious. I think this storage situation sucks.

I'm not gonna lie, this is one of the oddest issues. You'll buy less games as you aren't capable of fitting them all on a single drive?

If you wanna pay thousands for a console with extra space, you do you... Higher capacity SSDs are gonna demolish reasonable console prices.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By arkephonic

@lundy86_4 said:
@arkephonic said:

I'm not gonna lie, this is one of the oddest issues. You'll buy less games as you aren't capable of fitting them all on a single drive?

If you wanna pay thousands for a console with extra space, you do you... Higher capacity SSDs are gonna demolish reasonable console prices.

It's just like Protoss said, I can't be inconvenienced by even the slightest BS like downloading games and transferring data from one drive to another. I would rather not even play. I want all my games on one drive, accessible in seconds.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I don't see the issue. I'm fine with 500gb even.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#24 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69407 Posts

I have a 4TB drive attached to my consoles so. 🤷‍♂️

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lundy86_4

@arkephonic said:

It's just like Protoss said, I can't be inconvenienced by even the slightest BS like downloading games and transferring data from one drive to another. I would rather not even play. I want all my games on one drive, accessible in seconds.

What if you need to download/install a new game? Is that too BS? I'm genuinely perplexed by your stance.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@arkephonic said:

So you don't install or download games/patches/dlc on your current consoles?

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By arkephonic

@Pedro said:
@arkephonic said:

So you don't install or download games/patches/dlc on your current consoles?

I do, but sometimes I'll just decide not to play a game if I see it needs an update and do something else. If I have a game on my shelf that I want to play and it's not installed on my system, I'll just do something else instead. It's too bothersome for me. Warzone was one of my favorite games, but I uninstalled it because it had a new update every week.

I don't have slow internet either, I have 1gb up and down on a fiber network.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

Physical Media bruh.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@arkephonic said:

I do, but sometimes I'll just decide not to play a game if I see it needs an update and do something else. If I have a game on my shelf that I want to play and it's not installed on my system, I'll just do something else instead. It's too bothersome for me. Warzone was one of my favorite games, but I uninstalled it because it had a new update every week.

So, you are retiring from gaming then.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 arkephonic

@fastnslowww said:

Physical Media bruh.

I only buy physical and sometimes those games still have big patches.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

@arkephonic said:
@fastnslowww said:

Physical Media bruh.

I only buy physical and sometimes those games still have big patches.

1tb is enough....you'll eventually remove somethings to make up more space, etc

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By arkephonic

@Pedro said:
@arkephonic said:

So, you are retiring from gaming then.

Considering going PC and Switch depending on how things pan out. I definitely will get a PS5 and Xbox Series X for just a couple exclusives. PC with an 8TB SSD!

Realistically, I could see something like this in my future. I like lots of storage, it's important for me. The 1tb storage on the new consoles is a problem for me.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Anyone with half a brain uses an external SSD/HDD. Game transferring doesn't take as long as some of these clowns make it sound.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

This sounds like an SSD vs HDD debate. For the price of a 1tb SSD you can get a 4tb HDD. Do you want faster loading times or more storage. And an SSD isn't going to do much for actual gameplay. The way software works is it has to be loaded into RAM to work. That means everything loaded in your game is running from RAM. What SSDs do is allow elements to get loaded into ram quicker, so games will start up faster, you may get into the game quicker, but if you're playing something PVP for example, typically the match starts on a timer so everyone is in before it begins.

Except for a few games with ridiculous load times, which I don't even play anymore like GTA V. If you do an SSD vs HDD comparison for GTA V, you'll find for a game that has the longest loading time of any I've played on PC, HDD is 20 seconds longer which isn't that big of a deal.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

Yeah 1 TB is plenty that's like enough space for one and a half COD Warzones...

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

Well, it depends. If Sony is concerned, they are about cutting down game sizes by removing repeated data in the game files. You'll still have the dumbasses like Activision that should ship their next games on brand new SSD's instead of discs. I hope they get punished for it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7223 Posts

I think I'm going to get an external SSD and shuffle games in out depending what I'm playing it's the easiest way rather than spending £220 on the MS memory cards.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4364 Posts

the cutting down dup blah blah blah.

new flight sim game.... has no dup assets and its 150gb

those high rez asset will cost you.

now the 1tb... its not really that

it will be around 780gb to 850(depending on formatting of drive via consoles)

we have this same dam talk now since ps3,360 era.

even the oh this size is all i needed. you bought bigger later on. dont lie.

you just trying to look good etc. relizing the cost of that extra storage is way more then you want to pay.

now i love to run master 4k sky in fh 3 or 4. i have to use my workstation pc to render it. current gaming console coming up and a normal gaming pc wont play it.

also before you bs. the morder game used 8k assets that have a multi tb server for all that. when product will run that in the future.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38793 Posts

I don't play more than one game at once. When done, i can always delete it, so 1tb is plenty for me.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45084 Posts

I would've preferred more but realistically I don't play 5 games on one system at a time lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#42 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

XSX is only 800GB or so, PS5 even less likely.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

I wonder if the new consoles can use external hdd just to store the games and transfer the games back to ssd when you want to play it??

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44038 Posts

@ni6htmare01 said:

I wonder if the new consoles can use external hdd just to store the games and transfer the games back to ssd when you want to play it??

Yes they can and that's the way to go until SSD prices drop... bigly.

Well, it's true for XSX/XSS but PS Jive, dunno, they've been hiding that sucker so who knows. From the looks of that Yuuuge fugly thing it might be Vaporware. lol :P

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

The concern over the storage space for these consoles is a non issue, IMO.

The Series X/S both support the use of external HDD out of the box for cold storage. You can install any game to any HDD. Im not sure about the PS5, but I presume the same will be true as well. And if it isn't, it will likely be supported via update in the near future.

There are 8TB external HDDs for like $140. $80 cheaper than the expandable SSD storage cards for the Series X/S. Thats why I never understood the weird whining about the expansion card prices on here (not accusing you, TC). Just buy an external HDD with 8 times as much space, pocket that extra $80, and swap your games out when you arent playing them, but dont want to delete them. Thats what I intend to do.

Again, the same applies for PS5 for me. Why waste money on an NVME to store backlog games you're fooling yourself into thinking you're going to return to one day, but havent booted up since 2014?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

Yes

Next question.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Yes, and God you're weird.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22651 Posts

Disagree... If it can hold a few games why do I need more?